Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit for car

Options
  • 26-06-2009 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I try to write it in few words. I am getting a car for about 10k. I rang bank and asked for a personal loan, went to bank and was told that "there is no reason why I can not get one" I was told that this will be approved by next morning - "Perfect" I said! The same day I rang garage and asked to keep car for me, I was told that I need to pay a deposit, I paid by credit card. Day after I got phone call from bank "sorry there is an issue and we can not approve it now..." I rang this man in garage and explain situation, he said that he had one buyer since yesterday but did not sale because of my deposit... I said "it is hard to believe" and he said "if you do not believe me than good bye".... Now, I did not say "i do not want to buy this car any more" i just explain a situation and asked for few days more. Now, there is a question, how long he can wait?? Am I loosing my deposit? He does not answer a phone...

Thanks for any help...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

If you don't buy it you'll lose your deposit; that is the point of a deposit after all. How long, nothing set in stone and I'd say also depending on the deposit (i.e. if you put down 50 EUR or 1000 EUR). The higher deposit the more I'd argue that you should get it back if he sells it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

the sting of a dying wasp is more painful than that of a healthy one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

See how it goes with the bank, if they do approve your loan, you can go through with the sale. Your deposit means the garage can't sell the car, unless you formally back out of the deal.

If you can't go through with it, then you're not entitled to the deposit back, unless the garage want's to return it. If they sell the car, they should return your deposit, but I don't know if that's a requirement, or just good practice.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

From www.citizensinformation.ie
    A deposit is a payment made to a supplier of a product or a service by a consumer which indicates an intention to buy a product or a service. The amount of the deposit and the timing of payment of the balance are a matter between the consumer and the supplier. When you pay a deposit for goods a contract is created between you as a consumer, and the supplier of the product or service. You should be clear at the time of paying a deposit what your obligations are (e.g. when you need to pay the balance, how much each payment is etc). You should also be clear about the duties of the supplier (e.g. when the product will be available).

It is always easier to know what your rights and responsibilities are if you have details of the contract in writing, however, a verbal contract is also enforceable. If the supplier does not adhere to the terms of the contract (e.g. delivery of a product takes significantly longer than stated) you may have a right to ask for your deposit to be returned. If you pay a deposit to a supplier who, in return, holds an article for you and you change your mind about paying the balance the supplier may not in all these circumstances be obliged to return your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

iwo wrote: »
    Hi All,

I rang this man in garage and explain situation, he said that he had one buyer since yesterday but did not sale because of my deposit.

i dont believe this...hes chancing his arm. If a buyer turns up and is told a car is sold they wont even look at the car..not to mind put an offer in.

in fairness to the garage if somebody turned up looking for a particular model that they were interested in then he couldnt show them the car you have a deposit on...in which case he potentially has lost a sale...but not definitely..and probably not with the market these days

i'd advise checking around other banks for a loan...you shouldnt really have too much problems...or even ask the garage if they arrange car loans (many do these days)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

All, thank U very much for info and support.
    the sting of a dying wasp is more painful than that of a healthy one

And, Yes.... you are right, even if I get this loan approved, I do not trust this man any more. Also, I asked my friend to ring this garage ans ask if car is still for sale ---- YES it is... So it looks like guy is playing balls.
    I texted him several times yesterday with info that I am still interested and waiting for bank to come back to me with approval. No emails no texts no phone calls... Should I talk with him or simply fill in this small court thing?
    Again, thank you for your time...

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

iwo wrote: »
    All, thank U very much for info and support.

And, Yes.... you are right, even if I get this loan approved, I do not trust this man any more. Also, I asked my friend to ring this garage ans ask if car is still for sale ---- YES it is... So it looks like guy is playing balls.
    I texted him several times yesterday with info that I am still interested and waiting for bank to come back to me with approval. No emails no texts no phone calls... Should I talk with him or simply fill in this small court thing?
    Again, thank you for your time...

This is crazy, I rang this man asking what the situation is and this is what I got:

1. Yes, car is still available and it can be sold to anybody because we have problems with people not collecting cars
    2. No you will not get deposit back, I said,"friend of mine was trying to buy this car few moments ago and you said it is still for sale" He said "yes I said and it is for sale as you do not own this car yet"

I am lost...Should I talk with them any more? Deposit was 300 euro so it is not huge money, but still... Value of car is 10.450E so after this issue I am afraid to deal with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Do as you have been advised.

If he has taken the money you can get a credit card reverse order put on it straight away. If he takes it again you can go to the Police as its theft.

There is also a cooling off period when putting down a deposit on cars and houses etc, so he can not legally hold a deposit it is not a binding contract.

Last option is small claims, which is very quick and you will get your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

How did u get on ?

Did you sign an SIMI Order Form or get a receipt for the deposit advising it eas non refundable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as it nearly 10 years old, and the advice contained within may no longer be relevant.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement