Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you written a will...

Options
  • 26-06-2009 3:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭

Have you written a will detailing your child as benefactor in the event of death of both parents? how did you account for the upbringing of your child in the absence of both parents?:(

I know it's a horrible subject but it still needs to be addressed.:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You nominate in the will those you wish to be guardians of you child and who among them you wish to have custody. You can detail in the will certain conditions you wish to be forfilled in the terms of the upbring of the child.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/death/before-a-death/making_a_will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Thats most helpful - cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I made my first will 2 weeks after getting married and then a new one once I had my children and have since added a codicil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You nominate in the will those you wish to be guardians of you child and who among them you wish to have custody. You can detail in the will certain conditions you wish to be forfilled in the terms of the upbring of the child.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/death/before-a-death/making_a_will

However this means little in the event there are existing guardians. A will does not automatically mean everything there inscribed is acted upon. Do not place too much emphasis on it, despite what TV would have you believe lol.

But definitely a good idea to make one out regardless. It can only be challenged and sometimes those challenges don't succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

No but it's been something I've been meaning to do for a while now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

nesf wrote: »
    No but it's been something I've been meaning to do for a while now.
    well we finally got the ball rolling this morning. It's turning out to be complex as we live overseas & all our assets are overseas but some potential benefactors are in Ireland. The guy didn't know what the situation is in such cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Made one when our boy was born.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

does a non exsistant unmarried father still have custody rights on a child if in a will they werent wanted as guardian?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Gonzales wrote: »
    well we finally got the ball rolling this morning. It's turning out to be complex as we live overseas & all our assets are overseas but some potential benefactors are in Ireland. The guy didn't know what the situation is in such cases.

We lived abroad and our assets were abroad but some of the named benefactors including those named as future guardians lived in Ireland but our will was very straight forward to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 minnieq

For me DP and i are not married. DP and i are joint guardians.

In my will i leave sole guardianship to DP and then if he dies we have named two more people to take gurardianship. We both have seperate wills and named the same two people to take guardianship if we both die!

• Advertisement
Advertisement