Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petrol Prices rising again, but why?

• 26-06-2009 8:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Filled the Astra yesterday costed 52e. That is the first time I have reached over 50e for a fill in a long time (119.9p per litre). I got 42mpg. I drive like a granny :D

Taking into account the 8c increase in Apr the old price would be 111.9p per litre.

Lucky then a fill lasts me a 1.5 - 2 weeks.

But seriously, i find the rising cost of fuel un comprehensable. Ok the price of brent crude has increased, but on what grounds - speculation again.

World economic reports suggest lowering economic growth, and get the price of oil increases. Crazy practice. There should be a ban on spread betting etc on commodities.

But with the cost of diesel also increasing its starting to cost a small fortune for the GF to travel up and down to Dublin for work.

Is it cheaper to buy petrol and diesel in the North yet??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

It's no surprise really. The stock markets have been on an overall steady increase for about 3 months now (although wobbling a bit lately), there is signs of the global recession bottoming out, problems in Iran and problems in Nigeria. It all means expensive prices at the pump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

kluivert wrote: »
    but on what grounds - speculation again.

World economic reports suggest lowering economic growth, and get the price of oil increases. Crazy practice. There should be a ban on spread betting etc on commodities.

Yup, speculation, speculation and more speculation.
    It's a quick low risk gamble for the traders and is causing the price to jump up. Demand has remained relatively flat and production hasn't been cut yet the price is rising ... caused by the speculators.
    As a result we'll have to put up with all the rubbish about "terrorist attacks on pipelines in Nigeria". Funny how the price kept dropping even when these attacks were happening last winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Just use your car less - its the only option to you to keep your fuel costs static. Buy a bike. Its a sure fire way to use your car less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

kmick wrote: »
    Just use your car less - its the only option to you to keep your fuel costs static. Buy a bike. Its a sure fire way to use your car less.

83654.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Is it cheaper to buy petrol and diesel in the North yet??

Sainsburys in Belfast on Wed was 1.01 for petrol and 1.03 for diesel, so I guess not really

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yup, speculation, speculation and more speculation.
    It's a quick low risk gamble for the traders and is causing the price to jump up. Demand has remained relatively flat and production hasn't been cut yet the price is rising ... caused by the speculators.
    As a result we'll have to put up with all the rubbish about "terrorist attacks on pipelines in Nigeria". Funny how the price kept dropping even when these attacks were happening last winter.
    The point of speculation is predicting future demand. Its the signs of recovery which is the root cause of it all. Economic recovery means higher fuel demand, meaning oil is now a nice looking investment prospect. Speculation causes prices to go up before the demand happens...but the demand will follow.

Not much good for people who have drive long drives.

I was spending around 50e a week a few months ago its now over 60e on average per week. I dont care what anybody says they are all a pack of gangsters.

20goto10 wrote: »
    The point of speculation is predicting future demand. Its the signs of recovery which is the root cause of it all. Economic recovery means higher fuel demand, meaning oil is now a nice looking investment prospect. Speculation causes prices to go up before the demand happens...but the demand will follow.

Ah but demand has only changed by a couple of % points.
    A very tiny change in demand triggers an almighty flurry of trading by speculators.
    Lots of speculation -> tiny change in demand -> even more speculation -> $150 per barrel

Brace yourself for the barrage of "you should live closer to your place of work" from the self-righteous brigade. :rolleyes:

Brace yourself for the barrage of "you should live closer to your place of work" from the self-righteous brigade. :rolleyes:

I live quite close to work but drive home at weekends which is where most of my petrol goes.

• Advertisement

A very tiny change in demand triggers an almighty flurry of trading by speculators.
    Lots of speculation -> tiny change in demand -> even more speculation -> $150 per barrel
    True :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You mean like that young French girl who was studying at Ul and was mown down by a truck? She will never have to spend money on anything ever again, poor thing.

Some savings turn out to be false economies.

I was spending around 50e a week a few months ago its now over 60e on average per week. I dont care what anybody says they are all a pack of gangsters.
    Buy a hybrid car and drive around at 35mph so that the petrol engine doesn't kick in :) Although I think if you never use the petrol engine the battery would go flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Also, don't forget the dollar has its influence too.
    If the dollar is recovering vs the euro, you will notice that in the petrol price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

I provide fortnight forward predictions on the www.pumps.ie website.

Basically, the barrel of oil is only a small amount of the cost basis.

Currently the cost of unleaded fuel is 36c / litre delivered to port (down from 39c / litre last week). The lowest price it hit was 16c at Christmas.
    Add to this 50.79c duty & approx. 10c between distributor & retailer and then add 21.5% vat

Total is €1.17 which will be the average price we shiould see from about 5th July. Some stations use fuel as a loss leader to get you to buy a sandwich, so you'll find some better priced stations at about €1.13 and some others who will charge 1.20

As for some people saying that prices increase quicker than they decrease - this actually is untrue./ I've been tracking upward & downward pricing for about a year and today's world price feeds into the pumps about 2 weeks later. (up & down)

Funny thing - Ireland has one of the lowest prices for fuel in europe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

The low prices recently were equally the result of speculation. So speculation can push the prices down as well as up.

One-year forecasts suggest that oil prices will continue to rise. In Ireland we will have the added burden of carbon tax by next year. So at a price of say €30 per ton CO2, this would add around 7c to a litre of petrol.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mcaul wrote: »

but dont we make up for it with the higher insurance costs and road tax costs compared to the UK for example?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Currently the cost of unleaded fuel is 36c / litre delivered to port (down from 39c / litre last week). The lowest price it hit was 16c at Christmas.
    Add to this 50.79c duty & approx. 10c between distributor & retailer and then add 21.5% vat

36 + 50.79 + 10 + 20.80 (vat) = 117.59 per litre.

Wow, the government get approx 60% from every litre.

I didnt realise it was that much. And approx 10% margin of fuel between distributor and retailer is alot considering the volumes of fuel that goes through the pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

That's not really true any more. We're more in the middle now.

For example in May unleaded was cheaper in 12 out of the 25 European Union countries than it was here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i hate that brigade, im 30 mins from work, but work is terenure so id be paying 2x what im paying in rent to live around there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

cnocbui wrote: »
    You mean like that young French girl who was studying at Ul and was mown down by a truck? She will never have to spend money on anything ever again, poor thing.

Some savings turn out to be false economies.

RIP - Accidents can and do happen and any deaths are bad.

All I'm saying is there are alternatives to the car. If you are a long way from work then obviously it does not count. Anything under 3 or 4 km is well walkable and anything under 10km is well cyclable in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

36 + 50.79 + 10 + 20.80 (vat) = 117.59 per litre.

Wow, the government get approx 60% from every litre.

I didnt realise it was that much. And approx 10% margin of fuel between distributor and retailer is alot considering the volumes of fuel that goes through the pumps.

I wouldn't consider 10c a litre excessive considering all the costs involved. Transfer to road tanker, deliver to stations, rent/rate/electricity for running the stations, staff wages, credit card costs (1.25% on average), internal accounting costs, insurances and the dreaded driveaways!

You won't find me going into the business anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

And approx 10% margin of fuel between distributor and retailer is alot considering the volumes of fuel that goes through the pumps.

Thats margin, not profit. The costs covered by that 10% are large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I provide fortnight forward predictions on the www.pumps.ie website.

Basically, the barrel of oil is only a small amount of the cost basis.

Total is €1.17 which will be the average price we shiould see from about 5th July. Some stations use fuel as a loss leader to get you to buy a sandwich, so you'll find some better priced stations at about €1.13 and some others who will charge 1.20

As for some people saying that prices increase quicker than they decrease - this actually is untrue./ I've been tracking upward & downward pricing for about a year and today's world price feeds into the pumps about 2 weeks later. (up & down)

Thanks for this info mccaul. But the prices haven't gone down in the last week, they've gone up.

Thanks for this info mccaul. But the prices haven't gone down in the last week, they've gone up.

The price delivered to port has gone down, it takes a week or so to filter through as the petrol is delivered to the stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Petrol station down the road from me went down 2c today :D.

Only problem - the car is half full, and the bike is full :o.

Hopefully it will keep going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭halkar

Last year this time during petrol price peak of around 140$ pb the pumps were around 1.45€. Now the petrol is around 70$ pb and pumps nearing to 1.20€. Apart from the currency movement of maybe 20 US cent am I missing something or do we expect to see petrol in pumps for over 2€ if it peaks again pb closer to last year prices? I seriously hope this is not the case or while the world is recovering from recession we will be fecked big time :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

halkar wrote: »
    Last year this time during petrol price peak of around 140$ pb the pumps were around 1.45€. Now the petrol is around 70$ pb and pumps nearing to 1.20€. Apart from the currency movement of maybe 20 US cent am I missing something or do we expect to see petrol in pumps for over 2€ if it peaks again pb closer to last year prices? I seriously hope this is not the case or while the world is recovering from recession we will be fecked big time :mad:

Reread post No. 16.

It explains it pretty well.
    The tax on petrol/diesel will not change*

* untill the next budget, maybe.

Advertisement