Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia 3347 - SNMP Traffic Monitoring Problem

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Possibly some kind of problem involving an overflowing 32-bit counter I'd wager.

Here's an FAQ for the program I use to monitor my SNMP stats that explains the problem ...

http://www.paessler.com/support/kb/questions/113/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BTW the best way to debug it would be to somehow regularly dump the values for the following variables somewhere around the time you are noticing this effect and look for any anomalies such as overflowing counters (which odmon should compensate in fairness) or maybe some strange hiccups in sysUpTime. Traffic rates are calculated by subtracting the previous value from the most recent one and dividing by the elapsed time (again calculate by subtracting values for sysUpTime). Maybe odmon itself allows you to somehow look at the raw data it uses, I'm not familiar with it, otherwise you may have to do something home brewed with a cmdline snmp(get) program in a loop in a batch file.

{1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0} iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.system.sys UpTime

{1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.x} iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.if InOctets

{1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.x} iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.if OutOctets

(replace x with the relevant interface number for your router)

Advertisement