Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bait shops

Options
  • 26-06-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

can someone tell me where i can get maggots on the northside of dublin?
    or recommand other bait shops

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

jaytoon wrote: »
    can someone tell me where i can get maggots on the northside of dublin?
    or recommand other bait shops
    can you give a general area of the northside?
    anytime i go sea fishing i get rag of henry, i dont know whether he does maggots or not. but if i'm getting maggots i use rorys. i know theres an angling shop across the road from the shanty in mulhuddart i'd imagine they do maggots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

my mate swears by the place near jervis street.

i was told to stay away from rorys as he is like the brown thomas of fishing shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Táck wrote: »

i was told to stay away from rorys as he is like the brown thomas of fishing shops!

rory seems to know his **** though.. with pike anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Kevvv

personally i prefer rory's in temple bar. i have had some bad experiences with henry. quite a few years ago i used to deal with henrys with no problem but have been there twice lately only to deal with quite an ignorent person behind the stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

your not thinking of ABC?. i think it's in mary street ( i know it's a couple of yards of capel street) where all the whole sale fruit & veg markets are.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I would say avoid that place in ballybough for bait,he tried to charge me 24 quid for a few frozen lugworm and i've heard him selling peelers for a fiver a pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Degsy wrote: »
    I would say avoid that place in ballybough for bait,he tried to charge me 24 quid for a few frozen lugworm and i've heard him selling peelers for a fiver a pop.

+1.

Hadn't been in it for awhile and had to pay it a visit recently, I won't be returning in a hurry.

I went in with the intention of spending a wad of cash for an entire new set of rods and various other pieces of equipment for myself and my son, but the fecker with the scraggly hair behind the counter (and a face like a welders bench) couldn't have been more unhelpful, indeed I'd say downright rude.

Needless to say I took my money elsewhere.

We went to ABC in Mary's Abby & spent more than a decent weeks wage in the place, they couldn't have been more helpful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Have to say I really like Rory's. The first time I went in I was looking to buy some lures to try a bit of sea fishing, I was making the classic mistake of picking out the ones that looked most appealing to me, but the guy at counter (not sure if it was Rory himself) ended up recommending a couple of much cheaper options to me (& doing a little research after, they were much better options too). I've been back a couple of times since and every time I've gone in they've been giving very good advice to people. They do sell a lot of the top name brands out there, so that could be part of the reason they have a reputation of being expensive, but to be fair the ones they do sell aren't that much more expensive than online even, and they do have cheaper options too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

well after this thrread i'll vouch for rorys then. i always tell myself not to believe everything i hear and in fairness to rory, only one person told me to stay away. but more now on this have told me to go.

i did go into the one in ballybough with the intention of spending a few euros and although i did, i did leave thinking he was a wanker. i spent about 15-20 euros on stuff and i know now he over sold me stuff i didnt need.

havent been into abc but my mate swears by it. he bought a now reel and the handle fell off it on his first night, when he went back in, he didnt have it with him but the guy wanted to give him a new one anyway and said to bring the other one in whenever. in recessionary times, thats the way to get a good name for your business.

Advertisement