Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Builder

• 26-06-2009 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,

I am new to this forum i am just wondering if any would have any tips when it comes to picking a builder for building a house, i have a couple of quotes at the moment and they are very similar prices and spec.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If the quotes come in from different contractors with similar prices for similar specs then its reasonable to think that you will get the same level of service from them, but that isn't the truth, even the bad ones know how to match prices with the good ones.

When choosing a builder, previous builds and wotrd of mouth really is golden. Ask them to point out some previous builds they have done in your area. Ask them to point out some current builds if possible. Visit these houses, try get in contact with the owners and ask them for their experieces. I'd try make it more a friendly chat than and official interview as no one wants a stranger asking the loads of odd questions.

If you have an architect or architect technician employed, ask them who they would recommend. They work on a daily basis with both so they usually know who is good and who to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 istabraq21

cheers quazzie thats good advice thanks, i have a architect however he will not recommend either one of the builders, all as he will say is that he has worked with all of them and they are all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Lucky you . I have been that architectural technician . In this situation my advise it to meet the two builders separately. Look at completed works and speak to happy clients . Then as the Big Brother Geordie voice over says YOU DECOIDE !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Well when we were deciding, we got our list together, went around and spent an hour or two with them all. one in particular had come with an excellent reputation. We met this guy and after we were driving home we really felt that we could work with this guy. He was full of positive simple ideas that would make the house more pleasant to live in. For my fiancee, she really wanted someone she could talk to, she found some of the contractors weren't really listening to her when was talking. She needs to be able to be comfortable dealing with these guys as she's going to be on site more than me! As it turns out he was cheapest . The feeling that we could work with this guy was the big attraction after our initial meeting!

Advertisement