Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitman movie sequel in the works

Options
  • 26-06-2009 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

I thought this kind of fit in here more than Films. I just read on GameSpot that there's plans for another Hitman movie.
    GameSpot wrote:
    20th Century Fox hires writer of Kane and Lynch adaptation to handle Agent 47's second silver screen assignment, next game hinted at.
    Despite being critically lambasted, the 2007 big-screen gaming adaptation Hitman racked up roughly $100 million in worldwide ticket sales, according to Box Office Mojo. That kind of payday could pull almost any assassin out of retirement, and Agent 47 is apparently no exception.

Film site IESB.net reports this week that 20th Century Fox has hired Kyle Ward to write a script for a Hitman sequel. Ward's resume is slim, with his most notable works being the screenplay for this year's Fiasco Heights (also about an assassin) and the script for Kane & Lynch, an adaptation of Eidos' 2007 shooter about a pair of mercenaries. Three of the producers from the original Hitman--Adrian Askarieh, Daniel Alter, and Chuck Gordon--will return for the sequel.

There was no mention as to whether Timothy Olyphant (Deadwood, Live Free or Die Hard) will return as Agent 47, or if Xavier Gens (Frontier(s)) would once again direct. However, the IESB article did offer a potential peek into the future plans of the Hitman game series.

"We are told to expect Hitman 5 by the end of 2010 and that it will take Agent 47 in a whole new direction," said the report. IESB did not say where it obtained its information.

The last Hitman game--Hitman: Blood Money--was released in 2006 for the Xbox 360, Xbox, PlayStation 2, and PC. Eidos has referenced development of a new Hitman game as far back as September of 2007, but has yet to provide a release window for the title.

In April, Eidos was acquired by Square Enix. While the Japanese role-playing game publisher listed Hitman as one of the world's leading game franchises when it originally announced its bid to purchase Eidos, it has not talked specifically about the next installment in the series since the acquisition closed.

It's been written by the guy who is also writing the script for the Kane & Lynch film, and other than that he has only one film under his belt. Granted, it must be he impressed someone if he's been given the chance at these two films, but I find it hard to have any hope for this.

I didn't think the last one was too bad, but they didn't take enough from the games. Anyone think that they could fix the problems with the first and make a decent version of the game? And is there anything form the games that you wuold love to see in the film?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I enjoyed the film :D

Metal Gear would be amazing if it was made, had they used the script from Metal Gear Solid. But at this stage theres not much more than you can do with snake, his whole story has been written.

Many games are in such a fantasy world that they probably wouldn't port well to film, unless half of it was CG, though sayin that Transformers is awesome.

God of War could make a great film, Gears of War maybe, or that Godfather 2 game,, that could prob make a decent film

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see how anyone would think a Metal Gear film would be a good thing. The plotlines in the games are such rambling, incoherent messes that it would take a genius script-writer to make some sort of sense from them and then, the fans of the games would be up in arms because of the changes.

I think the problem at the heart of it, is that Kojima is a terrible story teller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Well it cant be as bad as the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I thought the first one was atrocious. I was expecting the Jackal (without the Oirish accent) but instead got Dawsons Creek: the movie.

Agent 47 got emotional way too fast. I understand it was needed to develop the love interest. BUT WHY WAS THERE EVEN A LOVE INTEREST???

I don't expect anything at all from this movie, except maybe one good action scene which will be repeated ad nauseum in the trailers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I enjoyed the first one so if this one is as good then I am all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I thought the first one was so boring. Of the few video game films I've seen, I'd actually rank the Final Fantasy film (the one with Ming Na) above Hitman, and the FF film was slated by everyone. Maybe it's because I actually like the Hitman series that I found the film so terrible.

Good news on the sequel to Blood Money though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I just found out that the writer of this, Kyle Ward, is also writing the script for a film based on Uncharted. I'd love to know what this guys secret is. Three game to movie films in quick succession after writing one film that is yet to be released. And that film is being produced by Michael Bay (which hopefully won't have any effect on the other three films!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

humanji wrote: »
    I just found out that the writer of this, Kyle Ward, is also writing the script for a film based on Uncharted. I'd love to know what this guys secret is. Three game to movie films in quick succession after writing one film that is yet to be released. And that film is being produced by Michael Bay (which hopefully won't have any effect on the other three films!).

pfff its not a real video game film unless uwe is involved :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

L31mr0d wrote: »
    BUT WHY WAS THERE EVEN A LOVE INTEREST???

Because it provided the only good scene from the original. Olga... out of bed... nekkid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

hmm i feel like playin the orignal now ... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can't see how anyone would think a Metal Gear film would be a good thing. The plotlines in the games are such rambling, incoherent messes that it would take a genius script-writer to make some sort of sense from them and then, the fans of the games would be up in arms because of the changes.

I think the problem at the heart of it, is that Kojima is a terrible story teller.

David Hayter did a good job on writing the Watchmen film script, he also does the voice of Solid Snake in the games, so has an intimate knowledge of the characters story etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I loved the hitman series. (Looking forward to the next game) The hitman 1 was one of the first big games I played when I got my first gaming PC. So naturally I hated the film cause it was nothing like the games and didn't do the main character justice. In fairness I knew it'd be ****e the second I saw who was playing hitman.

Ahhh thats more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Otacon wrote: »
    Because it provided the only good scene from the original. Olga... out of bed... nekkid!

Agreed! completely gratuitous, but nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

No way 1 and 3 are great stories and 2 isn't bad!

I would love a metal gear movie set in the 60s like MGS3. If your gonna do a spy movie than what better era to set your story than the cold war?

Chumpski wrote: »
    No way 1 and 3 are great stories and 2 isn't bad!

I would love a metal gear movie set in the 60s like MGS3. If your gonna do a spy movie than what better era to set your story than the cold war?

Snake eater is my favourite of the MGS series, but just imagine it on screen, with real actors. It would suck.
    As for Hitman, I thought it was well cast but poorly written and directed. When I first heard they were doing a movie I was hoping for something along the lines of ronin or day of the jackal. Perhaps this time around they will take a more serious approach and give us a decent thriller with some nice action and not another pile of ****e like the first film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Agent 47 got emotional way too fast. I understand it was needed to develop the love interest. BUT WHY WAS THERE EVEN A LOVE INTEREST???

NOTHING in films and I repeat, NOTHING pisses me off more then a studio putting in a love interest for absolutely no f**kin reason other then to attach another up & coming "star" to a film. the whole industry is built on circle jerking and often it leads to ip's being used, abused and raped by some bigwig studio. i wish they would just f-off from games

Advertisement