Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Tonight I'm starting 'The Secret of Crickley Hall' by James Herbert. I love a good creepy house setting in books.
    I'm reading this at the minute.. it's my first Halloween book of the season!

I'm about half way through and finding it a little disappointing so far; a bit predictable and not scary enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Ardal O'Hanlon's Nick Knack Paddy Whack which was a very enjoyable first novel from the actor/comedian.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman.

It's about a lighthouse keeper and his wife who live on a remote Australian island on their own and a baby washes up in a boat along with a dead man. They've lost a baby themselves so the wife decides they should keep it.
    They've made a film of this book starring Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander, directed by Derek Cianfrance, so I assumed it was quite a heavy dramatic book. Maybe it's because I've just spent the best part of two months wading through Tolstoy but it seems awfully light. I'm only about 100 pages in so maybe it gets more dramatic as it goes on but for now it's a fairly easy read. My Goodreads challenge so badly derailed by War and Peace will be back on track in no time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I'm reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman. :D

I loved that book, must re-read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I'm reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Steadman.

It's about a lighthouse keeper and his wife who live on a remote Australian island on their own and a baby washes up in a boat along with a dead man. They've lost a baby themselves so the wife decides they should keep it.
    They've made a film of this book starring Michael Fassbender and Alicia Vikander, directed by Derek Cianfrance, so I assumed it was quite a heavy dramatic book. Maybe it's because I've just spent the best part of two months wading through Tolstoy but it seems awfully light. I'm only about 100 pages in so maybe it gets more dramatic as it goes on but for now it's a fairly easy read. My Goodreads challenge so badly derailed by War and Peace will be back on track in no time. :D

Sounds like one for my TBR list - let us know your opinion when you finish please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

'American Psycho' by Bret Easton Ellis, I'm a little under halfway through- it's a decent book, I mean, I have no real complaints about it- it's just taking me so long to get through because I don't actually want to sit down and pick it up for an hour or two. It's difficult to explain but although there are things happening in it, it still feels like it's kind of slow-paced (I blame the endless clothing descriptions).

Jijsaw wrote: »
    'American Psycho' by Bret Easton Ellis, I'm a little under halfway through- it's a decent book, I mean, I have no real complaints about it- it's just taking me so long to get through because I don't actually want to sit down and pick it up for an hour or two. It's difficult to explain but although there are things happening in it, it still feels like it's kind of slow-paced (I blame the endless clothing descriptions).

Personally I thought it was great. Very dark humour but great.

Moonlight Mile by Dennis Lehane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Archangel by Robert Harris became a bit of a let-down. A good thriller but it just got a bit unbelievable.

I've started The Thousand Orcs by R. A. Salvatore, he is/was influenced heavily by Lord Of The Rings. I'm not much of a fantasy reader but I'll see how this goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

To Rise Again at a Decent Hour, by Joshua Ferris.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The Testament of Mary by Colm Toibin.

I didn't know what to expect, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it in the stolen moments I'm getting to read it. Very strong voice from the lead character.

I also finished The Gathering by Ann Enright.
    It was all over the place, but in a good way, considering it's following the path of grief. She did get over-ambitious on occasion with the language and there were more than a few sentences or paragraphs that I needed to go back over and re-read, often ending up none the wiser as to what she was trying to express. But I forgave it, because when she succeeds at it, it's a thing of joy, and she succeeds more than she fails.

I still preferred the Green Road..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I'm reading The Secret of Crickley Hall and I'm very disappointed with it so far. It's not scary and full of cliches. I'm finding it very overwritten too. Not sure if I'll finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'm reading The Secret of Crickley Hall and I'm very disappointed with it so far. It's not scary and full of cliches. I'm finding it very overwritten too. Not sure if I'll finish it.

I'm reading this too, about 1/2 way through. I'm not finding it scary but I'm still quite enjoying it. I'm hoping there'll be some unexpected ending.

I finished it a few days ago and didn't like it.

I found it far too long and very repetitive at times. Agree about the cliches and don't get me started on the Americanisms!

I've moved on to Heart Shaped Box, which is a definite improvement in the scary stakes!

The americanisms are really annoying! I thought it was written in the 70s until I checked back on the fly leaf (when Loren got her "cell phone"... In Devon). Gabe talks like a 40s gangster.

I hate not finishing a book but I don't know can I put up with another 400 pages of it! Plus I bought the new JK with my easons points and I really want to read it :)

The americanisms are really annoying! I thought it was written in the 70s until I checked back on the fly leaf (when Loren got her "cell phone"... In Devon). Gabe talks like a 40s gangster.

I hate not finishing a book but I don't know can I put up with another 400 pages of it! Plus I bought the new JK with my easons points and I really want to read it :)
    I'm not sure when it's supposed to be set but I thought it was highly unlikely that a modern 5 year old girl would idolise Bart Simpson!

I don't like to leave books unfinished either so I soldiered on with Crickley Hall. It's an easy enough read so I got through it fairly quickly.

Finally finished The Luminaries and I must admit I struggled through the second half. I really enjoyed Part 1 where the scene was set and the characters introduced but it became quite a chore after that to keep track of who was who and doing what to whom, where and when. But I stuck with it and finished it as I hate to give up on a book.

Now on to Galbraith's Career of Evil. Looking forward to an easy read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Finally finished The Luminaries and I must admit I struggled through the second half. I really enjoyed Part 1 where the scene was set and the characters introduced but it became quite a chore after that to keep track of who was who and doing what to whom, where and when. But I stuck with it and finished it as I hate to give up on a book.

Now on to Galbraith's Career of Evil. Looking forward to an easy read.

Oh, found 'The Luminaries' a bloody chore myself.

Read 'Slade House' by David Mitchell in a manner of hours. Highly enjoyable furthering of the universe he seems to be creating in his writing and a creepy little rollercoaster in and of itself.

Finished a re read of Daithi O hOgain's The Celts. A concise history of the Celts militarily and politically. A nice overview to read and see how widespread the Celts were at one point.

Started The Unexpurgated Code by J P Donleavy last night - highly amusing so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Got stuck on stansted for 2 hours last night so I actually finished Frankenstein. It was a let down really.

Not sure what to read. Something easy perhaps.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Got stuck on stansted for 2 hours last night so I actually finished Frankenstein. It was a let down really.

Not sure what to read. Something easy perhaps.

I hated Frankenstein. So much hype and it's really a bit rubbish.

I hated Frankenstein. So much hype and it's really a bit rubbish.

The bit about creating the monster was just brushed over and as I scientist I was looking forward to that! But no details. And no Igor. WTF

SarahBM wrote: »
    The bit about creating the monster was just brushed over and as I scientist I was looking forward to that! But no details. And no Igor. WTF

There didn't seem to even be any real emotional drive in it either. The monster had a bit of development when he was hiding in the log pile or wherever it was but Victor was just an annoying bland character.
    The idea behind it is good and I'd say it's probably one of those books that has given a template to better stories after it.

There didn't seem to even be any real emotional drive in it either. The monster had a bit of development when he was hiding in the log pile or wherever it was but Victor was just an annoying bland character.
    The idea behind it is good and I'd say it's probably one of those books that has given a template to better stories after it.

Even the Once Upon a Time take on the whole Frankenstein story was way better than the book!
    Anyway moving on, I am going to try some sci fi next. My first encounter with Iain M Banks. The Player of Games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I loved Frankenstein on both occasions that I've read it, once for college and again for fun. I'm no scientist myself Sarah but as the book is very nearly 200 years old what were you expecting as regards the description of the ins and outs of the monsters creation?

I'm currently enjoying Donal Ryan's new book of short stories, I absolutely loved both his novels and these stories are a real treat. Also looking forward to Kevin Barry's new book about John Lennon in Clew Bay, I love his short stories although I have to admit that I wasn't a bit impressed with his first novel, hopefully this will be much better.

I loved Frankenstein on both occasions that I've read it, once for college and again for fun. I'm no scientist myself Sarah but as the book is very nearly 200 years old what were you expecting as regards the description of the ins and outs of the monsters creation?

I'm not sure exactly, but something a bit more than "Bam - there he was!!!" :rolleyes: I am also surprised that Frankenstein himself was never questioned by his superiors or peers about his little experiment, where he got his "supplies" etc. I did like the Walton character though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

(Rereading) Lessons of History, Will and Ariel Durant.

Finished a re read of Patrick Power's Sex and Marriage in Ancient Ireland. A fascinating look at the Brehom Laws and how in the areas of sex and marriage they were so often light years ahead of the repressive laws forced on us by England then by ourselves after independance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished the Crickley Hall book. It was grand but I'm glad it's over. I had enjoying the story but as others have already said, the constant repetition was very annoying and it all played out as expected.

Back onto a Harry Potter book now, 'The Half Blood Prince'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Colter's Hell & Jackson's Hole, by Merrill J. Mattes

Finished The Light Between Oceans.

I had mixed feelings.

Given the subject matter I was expecting quite a heavy read but it's surprisingly light work for the most part. That said there was a point in the story when I realised I was heavily invested in the characters despite the seemingly light style of writing, which I guess is the sign of a good writer?

Definitely worth a read. I was looking forward to the film anyway, because of who is involved, but now knowing the story I'm even more excited about it.

On to The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness next.

I've finished The Thousand Orcs by R. A. Salvatore, was tempted to give it up a few times but it's only 300 pages and I was nearing the end battle scene so I stuck with it. I don't think I'll be reading any more of them.

I started The Village Of Longing by George O'Brien last night. The author recalls his childhood in Lismore, County Waterford during the 1950s.
    Again, it's not my typical reading material but it's short enough and I'll try finish it.

Finished The Light Between Oceans.

I had mixed feelings.

Given the subject matter I was expecting quite a heavy read but it's surprisingly light work for the most part. That said there was a point in the story when I realised I was heavily invested in the characters despite the seemingly light style of writing, which I guess is the sign of a good writer?

Definitely worth a read. I was looking forward to the film anyway, because of who is involved, but now knowing the story I'm even more excited about it.

On to The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness next.

Just downloaded it to my Kindle on the strength of your post. :)

Finished Career of Evil and I'm on the fence about it. I didn't find it as satisfying a read as the last 2 books, The Cuckoo's Calling is still my favourite. The characters of Robin and Strike are well developed but
    I think she prioritised the relationship between Robin and Strike and the murder took a bit of a back seat

• Advertisement

Just finished The Unexpurgated Code by J P Donleavy ... amazingly un-PC & a great laugh. :)

Now I'm going to start The Light Between Oceans - looking forward to it.

Callan57 wrote: »

Now I'm going to start The Light Between Oceans - looking forward to it.

I feel so much pressure for you to like this now. :D

No pressure - I'm sure it will deliver :)

Finished the Crickley Hall book. It was grand but I'm glad it's over. I had enjoying the story but as others have already said, the constant repetition was very annoying and it all played out as expected.

Back onto a Harry Potter book now, 'The Half Blood Prince'.

I finished Crickley Hall the same day as you, and I'm also reading a JK book... Spooky!

Spookier than anything in Crickley Hall anyway. There were zero surprises, as you said Belle E Flops, and it was quite poorly written. I think that maybe James Herbert was already so well-known at that stage that they just published without really editing it? I've a friend who loves his stuff, especially the early ones like The Rats, but I don't think I'll be reading another one of his books.

I'm glad I finished it, if only because I now only have one more book to go before finishing my Goodreads challenge :D

Onto Career of Evil now and cannot put it down, it's brilliant so far!

Finished a re read of Kevin Rafter's book The Clann about Clann Na Poblachta. Interesting read.

• Advertisement

Finished The Light Between Oceans in the early hours & I loved it. Not that often lately that a book has me weeping but last night the tears flowed freely.
    It certainly has the making of a great movie.
    Thank you for the recommendation. :)

Next for me is Disclaimer by Renee Knight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I really loved Light Between Oceans too. I wept when I finished it as I genuinely cared so much about the deeply flawed, realistic characters in it. Such a heartbreaking and thought provoking story.

Have read a couple of great books in the last week or so. Firstly The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. A semi factual story about slavery in South Carolina which was gripping and like all of her other books, beautifully written.

Following on from that theme I read Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup. It's harrowing, brutal and thought provoking, I'm now completely obsessed with finding out as much as possible about slavery in the United States so if anyone has any further recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Have now started Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. While the subject matter is disturbing it is beautifully written and I'm enjoying it.

Merkin wrote: »
    I really loved Light Between Oceans too. I wept when I finished it as I genuinely cared so much about the deeply flawed, realistic characters in it. Such a heartbreaking and thought provoking story.

Have read a couple of great books in the last week or so. Firstly The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. A semi factual story about slavery in South Carolina which was gripping and like all of her other books, beautifully written.

Following on from that theme I read Twelve Years a Slave by Solomon Northrup. It's harrowing, brutal and thought provoking, I'm now completely obsessed with finding out as much as possible about slavery in the United States so if anyone has any further recommendations I'd appreciate it.

Have now started Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. While the subject matter is disturbing it is beautifully written and I'm enjoying it.

I'd recommend The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd if you haven't read it

Merkin wrote: »

All really good books but I must say The Light Between the Oceans stands out for me as one of the best reads in my small library. Lent it to many friends and not one said they didn't like it.

I've just finished Lisa Genova's Inside the O'Briens. I feel cheated but you'll have to read it to find out why! It's a typical Genova medical-based story. This one about Huntington's Disease. Harrowing and heartbreaking story of a family struck by this fatal disease whereby if a parent has the gene the children have a 50% chance of getting it & the agony of deciding whether to get tested or not. I enjoyed it but prefer Still Alice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Callan57 wrote: »
    I'd recommend The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd if you haven't read it

Finished it last week! Loved it! :)

Down the Darkest Road, by Tami Hoag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I cannot stress just how good Donal Ryan's short stories from ' slanting of the Sun' are.
    I think he is unbelievably good. It's as good a collection as I have ever read, absolutely extraordinary.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I started The Village Of Longing by George O'Brien last night. The author recalls his childhood in Lismore, County Waterford during the 1950s.

I finished this probably only because it was just short. Nothing really happens so it's kinda boring then it goes on to mention his time as an altar boy so mentions things about the different types of Mass, etc. which I know nothing about and then starts talking about Gaelic football which I don't care about.

Now I'm about to start A Woman In Berlin, an anonymous memoir covering the period 20th April to 22nd June 1945 when the city was being taken by the Soviet army and it's subsequent occupation.
    It's main theme is the widespread rape of females by Soviet soldiers and how many women formed a relationship with an officer for protection.

Aenaes wrote: »
    I finished this probably only because it was just short. Nothing really happens so it's kinda boring then it goes on to mention his time as an altar boy so mentions things about the different types of Mass, etc. which I know nothing about and then starts talking about Gaelic football which I don't care about.

Now I'm about to start A Woman In Berlin, an anonymous memoir covering the period 20th April to 22nd June 1945 when the city was being taken by the Soviet army and it's subsequent occupation.
    It's main theme is the widespread rape of females by Soviet soldiers and how many women formed a relationship with an officer for protection.

Great read but harrowing stuff

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I'm halfway through We Were The Mulvaneys, by Joyce Carol Oates. A harrowing story of a family that falls apart because of something that happens to their daughter one night when she's seventeen. The story of how the family relationships gradually deteriorate is fascinating and wonderfully portrayed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement