Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Funnily enough, it was my favourite of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Memnoch The Devil. An interesting read although not as good as the first 4 books in her Vampire Chronicles series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I read my first Agatha Christie in the the last couple of days, 'And Then There Were None'. I absolutely loved it and raced through it. I don't usually read mysteries but I was thoroughly entertained trying to solve it.

Moving onto 'The Ginger Man ' by JP Donleavy now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I read my first Agatha Christie in the the last couple of days, 'And Then There Were None'. I absolutely loved it and raced through it. I don't usually read mysteries but I was thoroughly entertained trying to solve it.

Mini series of it was on BBC over Christmas there.

Mini series of it was on BBC over Christmas there.

Ooooh must have a look at that. Thanks.

Ooooh must have a look at that. Thanks.

I watched it there today, all 3 episodes back to back. Was very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Catching The Wolf Of Wall Street by Jordan Belfort. Obviously going to be a big disappointment compared to the 1st but enjoyed it so much I had to buy the 2nd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Finished reading Do No Harm. I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

The man who mistook his wife for a hat. I have read about half of the stories. I didn't enjoy it as much. The stories are indisputably intriguing but... I can't help and feel that it strays into a lot of philosophy which I don't particularly enjoy and also it does refer to neuroscience quite a bit. I have taken neuroscience in college and so was able to understand it and definitely felt that having prior knowledge of brain damage amongst other things was essential to my enjoyment of the book so far. It doesn't sufficiently explain things if you have no knowledge at all. However the stories of the patient's and their lives are worth reading! It deals with conditions and cases which I didn't even realise existed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Finished Dub Sub Confidential by John Leonard .... not exactly your average sporting memoir! At times I found the author to be really annoying ... but he has been through an awful lot in life. Worth a read, but not one for the easily offended.

Going back to Beatlebone now. Abandoned half way through last week, really like some of the sentences Kevin Barry writes, but thought this so far (and City of Bohane) have been a bit hard going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished my first book of 2016, The Girl in the Spider Web, the sequel to the Millennium Trilogy. I have mixed feelings about it. It didn't live up to Larsson's books, it was incredibly slow to get going and the first half of the book was a long winded description of computer speak which went right over my head.
    The second half improved and became quite tense but I didn't feel the connection with Blomkvist or Salander that was in the trilogy. Maybe it's because it's so long since I read the Larsson books but I felt Lagercrantz didn't quite hit the spot for me with character development.

Would probably be an enjoyable read for someone in the computer field but I wouldn't give it more than 3.5/5.

Now onto a light read, Moving by Jenny Eclair. 50 pages in and I'm enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭heathledgerlove

The Sense of an Ending, Julian Barnes.

As seems to be the case with most of my reading list, much more based on moral musings and characterization than plot; the way this short novel was written, the slowly unraveling way the events happened were expressed (in accordance with the narrator's attempts to actively remember / resurface) - the writing itself, breathtaking. I was on tenterhooks in the closing pages! Major love for the unreliable, self-effacing, wonderfully flawed central character Tony.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭accensi0n

1984, The Great Cholesterol Con and The Little Prince. Liking all three of them, especially The Little Price which I didn't I would as much.

Fathom wrote: »
    Saving Fish from Drowning, by Amy Tan

Must read more of Tan, Joy Luck Club gets all the kudos but I actually preferred The Hundred Secret Senses. Very readable and wry sense of humour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Must read more of Tan, Joy Luck Club gets all the kudos but I actually preferred The Hundred Secret Senses. Very readable and wry sense of humour
    Saving Fish. Just started. Chapter 1. Like Tan

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's The Vampire Armand. While mostly as the title suggests Armands story the sixth installment in the vampire chronicles does fill in on events from the end of Memnoch The Devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Just finished The Boy Under The Table, Nicole Trope. Don't know what possessed me, I knew when I started it that it would tear at me. I'm still thinking about it today. I read it as fast as I could to ease my suffering but I thought it was a beautiful book, well worth a read, though harrowing enough. Crikey, that review won't entice many will it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Anne Rice's The Vampire Armand. While mostly as the title suggests Armands story the sixth installment in the vampire chronicles does fill in on events from the end of Memnoch The Devil.

You'll be in trouble when you get to the new book in the Vampire diaries. Could it be the one that puts the new book smell back into your nostrilsðŸ˜

You'll be in trouble when you get to the new book in the Vampire diaries. Could it be the one that puts the new book smell back into your nostrilsðŸ˜

Haha I love it. I still have a few Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles to re read yet and then her Witches trilogy. But never fear at some point this year I will indeed read a new book:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I finished Us on NYE. It was pretty disappointing and I didn't want it to hang over me in 2016!

I'm reading Gormenghast now and I'm near the end of the first book (I bought a big bumper edition of the trilogy!) loving it. So odd and bizarre and engrossing. Perfect book for winter evenings :)

Empire Falls by Richard Russo.

Strange one. Not much is actually happening but the characters are so well written and the place they inhabit so vividly painted that I'm really enjoying it.

The Black Eyed Blonde by Benjamin Black ... not enjoying it as much as his Dr Quirke books but its OK

I've put The Ginger Man aside for the time being because it's doing absolutely nothing for me. I just don't care about the main character or what he does next. I'm between two minds whether to give up on it or not, I hate giving up on books but at the same time life is too short to read books you don't like and have no interest in.

Instead I've moved onto the 2nd Game of Thrones book 'A Clash of Kings' which I am really enjoying so far.

Starting The Sandman by Lars Kepler
    I thought The Hypnotist was outstanding, wasn't as impressed with The Nighmare

I finished While England Sleeps by David Leviatt. V. g generally although it was a little disjointed, (and a bit too much sex! Yes that's possible!!) the descriptions were certainly very evocative of geography, atmosphere and political landscape, especially the parts set in Spain.

I still don't know who were the goodies & the baddies in the Spanish Civil War...

I also read over the Christmas: England's Lane, Joseph Connolly, (England again, must most probably read some McGaheren to repatronise :P or the Ruth Dudley Edwards we have on Pearse at home,) and while it's not the best of his I've read, the plot seeming to flounder and get lost in the colloquial style of asides and insights, it was as always incredibly readable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Currently reading Mr Mercedes by Stephen King, about three quarters of the way through it and thoroughly enjoying it. Haven't read a King book in years but I've been very pleasantly surprised.

73p on the kindle store in a daily deal so win win!

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Merrick. Technically a blending of her witches trilogy with her Vampire Chronicles but mostly really a Vampre Chronicle book and a very enjoyable one at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Into the final third of Dust. I wish I had more time to read it, I feel like dipping in and out of it is taking away from the wonderful tense atmosphere in it. :(

Finally got around to reading The God of Small Things. It's a beautiful, evocative book. The writing style takes a bit of getting used to and she makes no secret of the fact that it's all going to end in tragedy but that doesn't take from the story of the 'two-egg' twins and their mother. Brilliant imagery of life in India and the awful caste system.

• Advertisement

The Little Coffee Shop in Kabul by Deborah Rodriguez

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭kazamo

Callan57 wrote: »
    The Black Eyed Blonde by Benjamin Black ... not enjoying it as much as his Dr Quirke books but its OK

He wrote it in the writing style of Raymond Chandler so that maybe the difference. I read it also and was so so, and now reading Farewell My Lovely by Chandler and similar in style to Black Eyed Blonde.

Finished Dust. Total book hangover. I didn't want the series to end!

Anyway moving on, a few friends and I are going to read Dr. Zhivago. I attempted it about 3 years ago and gave up on page 159.
    I had to start again because I couldn't remember that much of the story, so I started again. On page 52 already, so already making a better go of it.
    Going to see Room for the Light House cinema book club tomorrow night. I read the book last year or the year before and although I found it hard to get into initially, I ended up loving it. I have heard nothing but good things about the film so really looking forward to it. And the discussion after :D

Finished Dust. Total book hangover. I didn't want the series to end!

Anyway moving on, a few friends and I are going to read Dr. Zhivago. I attempted it about 3 years ago and gave up on page 159.
    I had to start again because I couldn't remember that much of the story, so I started again. On page 52 already, so already making a better go of it.
    Going to see Room for the Light House cinema book club tomorrow night. I read the book last year or the year before and although I found it hard to get into initially, I ended up loving it. I have heard nothing but good things about the film so really looking forward to it. And the discussion after :D

Finished The Slanting of the Sun by Donal Ryan in the early hours ... absolutely terrific with a subtle darkness in every story.

Next is Edna O'Brien and The Little Red Chairs

Finished The Slanting of the Sun by Donal Ryan in the early hours ... absolutely terrific with a subtle darkness in every story.

Next is Edna O'Brien and The Little Red Chairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

My book club just picked I Am the Messenger by Mark Zusak so just starting that, but I am also reading and enjoying Sean Moncrieff's Stark Raving Rulers: Twenty Minor Despots of the Twenty-First Century.

Impossible not to read with his voice in your head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm about halfway through The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje. It's a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Callan57 wrote: »

The best collection of short stories I've read in years. I read each one and thought "That is the best story," and then the next was even better. Every character is so well drawn you could talk to them.
    I rationed the stories out, one a day, to make it last longer and because every word deserves your full attention.

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    The best collection of short stories I've read in years. I read each one and thought "That is the best story," and then the next was even better. Every character is so well drawn you could talk to them.
    I rationed the stories out, one a day, to make it last longer and because every word deserves your full attention.

Indeed, I read them one a night as well and reviewed it here months ago. My wife has been reading it recently and I've found some stories were unforgettable while others I had little memory of reading.
    My favourites were the long puck in Syria, the one about the old folks home, the one about the fella working in the bar and the ex girlfriend, the last one about the robbery is absolutely outstanding.
    I thought at the time (and still think) it is the strongest collection of stories I've ever read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Indeed, I read them one a night as well and reviewed it here months ago.

Apologies, In fact it was on your recommendation that I spaced them out. I don't think I'll ever forget the one about the old folk's home. There isn't a hope of getting me near one now, unless I am passed knowing where I am.

Read The Girl on the Train and I must say I'm perplexed at the hype it got. I guess I'm in the minority when I say I'm underwhelmed.
    While it's an easy read, the writing style is quite basic, I found the character's not very well developed and a bit one-dimensional and didn't really get emotionally invested in any of them. I've read better thrillers and thought at times it was a bit tedious with all the back and forth time hopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Reading John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath after finishing Francois Truffaut's book on Hitchcock.

BozRm-wIMAA1QYX.jpg

Finished The Little Red Chairs ... Edna O'Brien at her absolute best

Now it's on to Dictator by Robert Harris

Finished The Little Red Chairs ... Edna O'Brien at her absolute best

Now it's on to Dictator by Robert Harris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Started City of Bohane by Kevin Barry yesterday.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Got a couple of WW2 books for Christmas, just finished 'The War in the West 1939 - 1941 - Germany Ascent' by James Holland, I found it to be a fantastic read and a different take on the events of the first two years of the war. It dealt heavily with the operational and supply issues faced by all sides. Highly recommended.

Next up is Stalingrad by Antony Beevor, I'm about a hundred pages in and it's not disappointing.

Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Blood and Gold another very enjoyable entry in her vampire chronicles.

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Anne Rice's Blood and Gold another very enjoyable entry in her vampire chronicles.

Only two more to go before you have to read Prince Lestat, published in 2014:eek::pac:

I'll buy it for you myself if you don't have it:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Just finished Peter James's horror yarn The house on Cold Hill.

Not great. Derivative, formulaic and utterly predictable. In fact, every bit as bad as "Perfect people."

It is a pity, because his Roy Grace crime novels (the ones with "dead" in the title) are excellent. He should stick to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement