Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I went into chapters yesterday to treat myself as I handed my thesis in yesterday. Started reading Lord of the Flies by William Golding. (3.99 in Chapters) I'm finding it quite a slow book to get into....I'm not really impressed by it but I bet there is a plot twist that will blow my mind nearing the end, as many people love the book!

It's not so much the plot you need to get into, rather the dynamics of the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shakeandbake!

I've just finished reading Go Like Hell - Ford, Ferrari and their battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans by AJ Baime. A fantastic book for anyone with the slightest interest in the auto industry or motorsport. The author excellently blends the link between business and racing and how important the mantra "win on sunday, sell on monday" was. The book has a cast of legendary characters like Henry Ford II, Enzo Ferrari, Lee Iacocca, Carroll Shelby, Luigi Chinetti, John Surtees, Ken Miles, Bruce McLaren, Phil Hill etc, men who were obsessed with winning the Le Mans 24hrs despite the dangers of racing and the regularity with which drivers got killed.
    Advice - GET IT! 10/10.
    http://golikehellthebook.com/home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

With a week off coming up, i stocked up on 'things i really should have read by now'. I have Heart of darkness, hard times, a new translation of notes from underground, and a collection of William Trevors short stories to keep me going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Finished Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Saturday night (well, started and finished it :p).

I was a bit stuck on what to read next and planned to go to the library today (3 of them actually) and load up, but then I started rummaging through the books in my Dad's study and found some good'uns.

Perfume
    The Dalkey Archives
    The Book of Lost Things
    Freakonomics

So I started with The Book of Lost Things.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Flying through Bukowski's Factotum at the moment. Enjoying as much as, if not more than, Post Office so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

Read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas the other day in an airport.

2 chapters from the end of The Hobbit at the moment, and then onto Children of Húrin me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Brilliant book. If you're a Thompson fan (like I am) get yourself a copy of Screwjack. That will absolutely melt your brain. Guaranteed.

This week I am reading The Underdog by Joshua Davis. Very entertaining read so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Underdog-Joshua-Davis/dp/0552154393

Finished The Book of Lost Things last night. It was good, but the ending left me disappointed. :(
    I suppose I should have expected it, really
    and I saw the twist with Jonathan Tulvey being the King from a mile off
    , I guess I just expected something different while reading it. Ah well.

Up next; Perfume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭8mv

Just finished three books
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel - excellent, but I'm a sucker for Tudor era novels.
    The Bush Tragedy by Jacob Weisberg - very good. Not full of vitriol as I expected (and hoped, tbh) but an interesting study of Ws life and family and the back stories of some of the people who engineered his rise to the White House. Blame for the Iraq fcuk-up is shared between Bush and all the dangerous, screwed up people he surrounded himself with.
    The Great War For Civilisation by Robert Fisk - amazing. This one is, as you would expect, full of vitriol and righteous anger, aimed at all governments and dictators who have manipulated and exploited people for political and financial gain in the Middle East. This book is quite an epic, so I read one chapter every so often. Highly reccommend.

Now for part three of this Millenium Trilogy. The first two were pretty good - not the best thrillers I've ever read but I should allow for the fact that they are translated from the original. Lisbeth Salander is an interesting character, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

2 chapters from the end of The Hobbit at the moment, and then onto Children of Húrin me thinks

I have "Fear & Loathing" on my bookshelf, must get around to it. I must have a bit of a Beat thing going on as I have "The Post Office" too by Charles Bukowski & plan re-reading "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac.

A boards book club member recommended this book & I've just started it:
    "Life's Lottery" by Kim Newman

You have to make various life decisions as you go through the book, to see which way your life would turn out. I'm really enjoying it!

The Amazon review is here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/0671015974/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

It's not so much the plot you need to get into, rather the dynamics of the group.

The ending of LOTF (lord of the flies) blew my mind. Although it did take a long time to get into. I flew through the second half because I panicking for Ralph himself.

Now I'm beginning to read The Great Gatsby, and then maybe after that some Fear and Loathing!

Pyongyang: what is Screwjack like? is it interior stuff like Fear and Loathing? I was looking at all his writings the other day in Chapters. Huge book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Up next; Perfume.
    That is a fantastic book I really must read it again. The film's not awful either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

kylith wrote: »
    That is a fantastic book I really must read it again. The film's not awful either.
    Just finished it! I enjoyed it but thought the first half was far better than the second.

Just finished it! I enjoyed it but thought the first half was far better than the second.

I'm 40 pages from the end, and I have to disagree. I'm finding the 2nd half so far much better than the first. Not to say that the first half was bad/boring, I did enjoy it, I just now feel more engaged in the story now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan, hardcore seedy futuristic cyber detective story, cool stuff so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo at the moment, more than half way through probably be finished it tomarrow. Certain parts can be fairly graphic which makes me have to put it down but other than that I am enjoying it.

I will probably start to read The Girl Who Played with Fire afterwards, I have a couple of books to read yet so i'm excited now! Happily getting back into been swamped with books :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

Magician Raymond E Feist.

Loving it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dnsmybolix

Just read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompsom, brilliant book very very funny!

Finished Perfume, loved the ending. :)

Also read Of Mice and Men. Really enjoyed it. I liked the fact that it wasn't unnecessarily fluffed up. It just got right to the point.

Next: The Butcher Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Bagmagnet

Reading 'The Place of Dead Roads' by William S. Burroughs..

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I finished 'The Legacy' by Katharine Webb on a flight home yesterday - brilliant!!!

Just started 'Ellis Island' by Kate Kerrigan last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Kalimah

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Would recommend very highly.
    Also finshed Lustrum by Robert Harris. I really liked that. And finally Alone in Berlin which was full of atmosphere and dread. An excellent translation too. I ususlly have two or three books on the go together!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished the Millennium Trilogy [very good, but totally understand who many people dont like the 3rd book as much as other two]

Ive now gone back to Crime and Punnishment [the book, rather than lifestyle choice!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum, thanks for the great recommendations :) I'm reading Call The Midwife by Jennifer Worth. It's her memoirs of working as a Midwife in the East End of London in the 1950's and I'm really enjoying, it's well written.

Dead in the Family by Charlene Harris, gods help me.

• Advertisement

Finished The Butcher Boy. Jaaaaaysus.

I'm now about 50 pages into The Historian.

So far, it's pretty interesting. I've heard mixed reviews, so hopefully it lives up to my expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Roots by Alex Haley

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Kevlyn20

Also just finished The Help by Katherine Stockett, really enjoyed it.

Reading Let the Great world Spin, Colum Mc Cann now, also a great read so far.

What next methinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Just started Red Plenty by Francis Spufford.

Got it from the bookdepository.co.uk website. Series of short stories on the Soviet planned economy and the affect it had on its citizens, mixing fact and fiction. Very enjoyable so far.

I loved The Historian but I know a huge number of people hated it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Kalimah wrote: »

Brilliant book ... found it revetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

Kalimah wrote: »

count me amongst them

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭politicsdude

was reading assasins apprentice by robin hobb - very good but a hard read if your an animal lover

count me amongst them

I'm about 100 pages in. The whole "I could see my father struggle, and knew he didn't want to tell me anymore, but he had to..." spiel is wearing a little thin.

Kevlyn20 wrote: »
    Also just finished The Help by Katherine Stockett, really enjoyed it.

Reading Let the Great world Spin, Colum Mc Cann now, also a great read so far.

What next methinks?
    Fab book! Read it a couple of weeks ago.

Currently reading Gaston Laroux’s ‘The Phantom of the Opera’ – enjoying it!

Just started Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov. I very much enjoyed the first two in the series, and am very much looking forward to this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Ringworld by Larry Niven. good sci-fi book and easy to follow and get through. reading through it for the second time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Reading Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol and 61 Hours by Lee Child. As soon as Autumn starts to kick in I'm going to start reading The Lord of the Rings again, perfect time of year to get started:)

Just beginning another Jonathan Kellerman book 'Evidence'

Still tackling my way through The Historian.

I'm just wondering,
    While the daughter is reading her father's letters, did she ever once wonder "Dad, stop ****ing on about Turkish and Hungarian infrastructure. What happened to my mum?!!"
    :pac:
    I also can't help but chuckle about the fact that the whole book is written in the first person, by at least 3 different characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Finished The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. I really enjoyed it and found it very informative. Although I like his style I don't know if I'd be keen on reading any of his other books any time soon, he seems to cover some of the same ground across a few of them.

I'm about two thirds of the way through 1984 now, enjoying it so far.

Finished the Historian. The ending was quite rubbish.

3 words, Kostova; Less. Is. More.

Up next; Brave New World.

Completely disagree with you ... I loved that book

Meh. It was at least 200 pages too long, the main characters were annoying and the whole notion of
    Dracula looking for scholars to look after his library
    was just stupid.

If you are interested in long-winded descriptions of Eastern European infrastructure, then this is the book for you :p

But then I have heard a lot of good reviews about it, so maybe I'm missing something.

Ho hum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 60% through it ,and finding it hard to finish.Keep hoping it will get better,hate giving up on a book.
    Decided to take a break from it tonight and started The Taking by Koontz. Already a third into it,easy reading with a good story.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Is anyone else reading Room by Emma Donoghue?

http://www.emmadonoghue.com/room.htm

I bought it just the other day and am in the last few pages, couldn't put it down, it's the first book in a while that's gripped me in ages. A must-read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Isle

At the moment I'm reading Stephen King's Dolores Claiborne. I've only got about 30 pages left. It's a quick read... there's only 300 pages in it. It's one of his best books if you haven't read it yet.

The Taking frightened the living daylights out of me. I had dreams about it off and on. One night on hols I had a very vivid dream/nightmare and woke up in a terror. It was just like the beginning of the book with the storm. We did have a storm the next night! After that I was nearly ready to go back to Mass again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

Reading "Leni" by Steven Bach.

This is the biography of Leni Riefenstahl , the film director and photographer who directed those iconic propaganda films for the Nazis .

She always denied knowledge of Hitler's intentions but this book exposes her complicity in those events. She lived to the ripe old age of 101 and only died in 2003.

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780349115535/Leni

• Advertisement

The Night Watch by Sarah Waters. I'm only about 90 pages in but so far it's good and I'm preferring it to The Little Stranger. I love WW2-era novels set in England.

Advertisement