Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Bigtoe107

Started reading Lolita this week.

Quite disturbing, but surprisingly enjoyable! Wasn't expecting to laugh this much at it...

Fantastic book imo, amazing how he manages to get the reader to feel sorry for what is a essentially a pedophile.

On topic... i'm reading Joyce's portrait of the artist this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Took a little while to get going but once it did it was good. Thought the ending was a small but drawn out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

the corrections by jonathan franzen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

Crime and Punishment.He's just done the crime...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

useurename wrote: »
    Crime and Punishment.He's just done the crime...

Sssh!! Don't spoil it!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭useurename

I'm not giving any more away until i finish it in about three weeks.The writing is flipping tiny.I'll be blind after it.Thats the punishment right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Re-reading the first book in the Black Magician trilogy, The Magician's Guild :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Started Gene Kerrigan's 'Little Criminals' last night

Alan Bennett, Writing Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Travel is good

"Sovereign" by C.J. sansom. This is the 1st book that I have of the Shardlake series, I have asked for "Dissolution" from the library, and have 2 other books in my "to be read" pile.

Has anyone read any of these books? They look good. I also asked for "Dissolution" as part of World Book Night, so hopefully I'll get one or two (!) copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Great read!

I just started 'The Book Thief', have heard good things about it so I'm hoping I won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭cozar

heard author of "skippy dies"on Miriam O C., Paul Murray i think he said it took him 7 years to write the book. Reading this at the moment and skipping (sorry!) the science bits, if he had left all this subplot out it might have taken a lot less time to write the book? but just loving this book. is it a good reflection on teenagers if it is i think i will be locking mine up for a while when they reach that age!

• Advertisement

"Sovereign" by C.J. sansom. This is the 1st book that I have of the Shardlake series, I have asked for "Dissolution" from the library, and have 2 other books in my "to be read" pile.

Has anyone read any of these books? They look good. I also asked for "Dissolution" as part of World Book Night, so hopefully I'll get one or two (!) copies.

I've read Dissolution, Dark Fire & Revelation and in each case a 10/10 from me ... fantastic writer. I have Sovereign in my TBR pile & hope to get to it soon.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Just finished Mystery Man by (Colin) Bateman, great stuff, Detective Comedy based in Belfast, the main character is like Bernard Black mixed with Dirk Gently. :)

Going to try and tackle Crime and Punishment again next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

One Day by David Nicholls

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

The Gallic War--Julius Caesar.
    Most of this is very dull, as it was Caesar's goal to present a sober account of his conquests to win over the Plebs back in Rome.
    I will admit that his SIEGE of Alesia and the defeat of the Celtic prince Vercingetorix is awe-inspiring.
    He fought a battle from two directions and was vastly outnumbered but with his expert tactical skills and leadership he led his smaller army to victory.
    His siege-works were 14 miles long for the outer defence. He was an extraordinary commander.
    Alesia.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished "the hunger games" on my kindle, [was cheap over Christmas, so took a punt, never having heard of it]

Excellent, loved it. It won many awards for young adults a few years ago.

Finished Wuthering Heights, really enjoyed it. It wasn't what I expected, actually. Loved the characters and the writing style.

Got through half of Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones on the train yesterday. Really enjoying it. Love the story. My aunt kind of spoiled it by
    telling me that the ending is really sad
    . :o

I should probably read Great Expectations next. :\
    If not, I might start Secret Scripture next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭sataction

Reading The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.

Good in parts, mostly as told by Roseanne. I would love to be a book editor I would knock about 1/3 off every book. Tell the story and go easy on the prose, cut out the verbiage.

Finished Mister Pip. Enjoyed, although I could kind of see the ending coming.

Started The Secret Scripture on the train. Got through most of the 1st chapter between Kildare and Heuston :)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Started the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I just finished off Against A Dark Background. I really like Iain M Banks' other work but this one bored me to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭George83

I'm reading The Room by Emma Donoghue and Eating for Ireland by Tom Doorley.

Reading The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. 100 pages in, excellent so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Started reading the first book of the Baroque Cycle (Quicksilver) by Neal Stephenson. Only about 30 pages in but I'm pretty sure it'll have me hooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katlin

I have been reading Isabel Allende's "Island Beneath the Sea". I would have liked more historic exposition and less romantic entaglement but it is an interesting look at Haiti during the French reign.
    http://www.isabelallende.com/island_frame.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Just finished It's Only A Movie by Mark Kermode.

It's very enjoyable but since I'm a big fan of his I found it a little short but there's a few decent laugh out loud moments to compensate.

About to begin Leviathan by Philip Hoare. I've never read any of his stuff but I'm looking forward to it considering all the great reviews it received. It's about whales if anyone one's wondering.

About to begin Leviathan by Philip Hoare. I've never read any of his stuff but I'm looking forward to it considering all the great reviews it received. It's about whales if anyone one's wondering.

Ooh, thumbs up for this. It's stunning. And made me read Moby Dick.

Trollope's Phineas Finn for me this week. Finding the politics surprisingly topical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Ooh, thumbs up for this. It's stunning. And made me read Moby Dick.

Trollope's Phineas Finn for me this week. Finding the politics surprisingly topical.

I believe MB is difficult :)

I wonder if Leviathan will have the same effect on me. We shall see. A friend has MB but I've never asked to borrow it. I'm not sure if he's read it actually I must ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm reading three books at the minute haha! Crazy I know! I have been carrying around Ulysses in my bag, another one in the sitting room and Marley and me on my bedside locker :D

I'm being very productive :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Just finishing "Dark Fire" by C.J. Sansom. I'm really enjoying the Shardlake series, I recently read "Sovereign" also. They are very easy to read, don't be put off by the size of the books.

I'm also about 100 pages into "Freedom" by Jonathan Franzen & about half-way through "Nightwatch" by Sarah Waters. I really must finish those! I hate leaving unfinished books lying around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Lorrie Moore - A Gate at the Stairs

I'm really enjoying it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katlin

Has anyone here read any of the Phillip Kerr "noir" detective novels set in pre- WW2 Germany?
    I have really enjoyed this collection and would like to find more authors like him.

katlin wrote: »
    Has anyone here read any of the Phillip Kerr "noir" detective novels set in pre- WW2 Germany?
    I have really enjoyed this collection and would like to find more authors like him.

I've read 'A Quiet Flame' & 'The One from The Other' both of which I really loved. I've been meaning to follow up more of his books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman. :(

• Advertisement

Just put down The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Absolutely superb as you would expect. I think Black Dahlia edges it slightly but both wonderful books. I'll get to LA Confidential soon enough but I already own American Tabloid, I assume that's completely separate from the LA Quartet?

Next up is Horns by Joe Hill.

'Fall of Giants' by Ken Follett

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. I've never read anything of his before and fear the film might be too fresh in my brain, but it's very readable and quietly intelligent so far.

cosmic wrote: »
    Lorrie Moore - A Gate at the Stairs

I'm really enjoying it! :)

I thought it was fantastic too :)

The Finkler Question for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DeathEaters

Finished The Sinwar trilogy by Richard A Knaak, awesome series for those who like to dwell in magical realms

Finished The Secret Scripture. Loved it. Would recommend it.

Just started The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy this morning.

Not bad so far, I like her writing style.

• Advertisement

I've stayed up all night to finish Horns by Joe Hill. It was excellently done and not what I was expecting at all having read a brief synopsis. It's not so much a horror, more a fantasy novel. It felt like a grittier, more violent Neil Gaiman book to me. It's unexpectedly sweet in some places as well.
    I had a lump in my throat reading Merrin's morse code message to Ig
    .*

I'll definitely be checking out Heart Shaped Box before too long.*

Mark Danielewski's House of Leaves. Gosh it's massive. Heard about it for the first time last week and had to run out and buy it. A book unlike almost any other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

just finished cloud atlas by david mitchell. Excellent read.

After a slight interlude into a travesty of fiction.

Just started soren kierkergaard' seducer's diary. On my list of books to read for 6 years - get there eventually :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I raided my parents house a couple of weeks ago and found some books, one of them was Honer Among Thieves I was going to start it tonight but I got myself a lazy day tomorrow so I'm going to start it then :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Up From Slavery - Booker T. Washington.

Loving it so far, a truly remarkable man!

• Advertisement
Advertisement