Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

Reading Moby Dick and Suttree at the moment, both very good. Suttree can be fairly depressing and funny at the same time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The passage-Justin cronin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well into 'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen .... really enjoying it too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Rereading Frankenstein.

Just beginning 'Sister' by Rosamund Lupton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Just started "A Spot of Bother" by Mark Haddon.

I really enjoyed the "Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time", so hopefully it's good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Going to do the one fiction then one non-fiction for a while

Don't know if I should put non-fiction in here but I'll go mad

This week I are mostly reading Empires, Wars and Battles - The Middle East from Antiquity to the rise of the New World

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Just finished A game of Thrones, I'm hooked George R. R. Martin now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Finishing The Corrections, by Jonathan Frantzen

Started ages ago and stopped for no reason. Its really excellent, I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

Finishing The Corrections, by Jonathan Frantzen

Started ages ago and stopped for no reason. Its really excellent, I love it.

I'm almost finished reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte, and this is one of the books I have in line to read next...so don't know whether to go with The Corrections, Darkmans by Nicola Barker or Hellfire by Mia Gallagher. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Also went to the library today and have another stack of books in line...I'm like some sort of bulimic reader, binging on books can't possibly read all at once:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

In the last few weeks I’ve finished Leviathan by Philip Hoare. A fabulous and fascinating book about whales. Almost unbearably poignant at times when the barbarism of whaling is focused upon. This book has a similar style to W.G. Sebalds Rings of Saturn if that’s your thing.

Also finished A View From The Foothills by Chris Mullin. The guy who put so much effort into getting the Birmingham six released. Mullin has produced a very revealing book written in diary form of the Blair years in government. Some great anecdotes in there.

Also finished the Fall Of Kings by David Gemmell. The last in the Troy Trilogy. I’d never read Gemmell before because I stopped reading Fantasy in my teens but I really enjoyed these Troy books a great re-working of the myth.

Currently embarked upon Shantaram by David Gregory Roberts and I am liking it so far. 900 hundred or so pages though so could take a while.

Reading Moby Dick ...

I particularly liked Chapter 65, "The Whale as a Dish." Funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭wilmer mclean

I particularly liked Chapter 65, "The Whale as a Dish." Funny :)

Im a couple of chapters before that at the moment, some of the tangents Melville goes off on are hilarious. I wonder when he wrote it did he mean these sections on whaling to be funny or is it due to the different era the book was written in.

A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon

The Big Short - Amazing, cant wait for the same book on our muppets who almost bankrupted the nation :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

American Psycho is my bus book of the day this week! One of those books that I kept 'meaning to read' but always had four others on the go!

Absolutely demolished A Spot of Bother. Brilliant book, and the first one in a long time that actually made me laugh out loud :)

Next I'm giving The Pigeon by Patrick Suskind a go.

I might give A Spot Of Bother a go so, I liked The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time alot but I've read a couple of critical reviews of ASOB but I might give it another look.

I might give A Spot Of Bother a go so, I liked The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-time alot but I've read a couple of critical reviews of ASOB but I might give it another look.

I'm almost half way into it & IMO good but not as good as Curious Incident.

Righto, I'll say it's worth getting then. It would be hard to top Curious Incident anyways. Really loved that one.

• Advertisement

Terence Rattigan, Plays: One (French Without Tears, The Winslow Boy, The Browning Version, Harlequinade)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just started Lolita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

The Sun Also Rises, by Hemingway. Never read him before and it seemed to be as good a place as any to start.

Starting Tinkers by Paul Harding

Pinter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, and other screenplays.

This thread is the bestest reading log :)

Pinter, The French Lieutenant's Woman, and other screenplays.

This thread is the bestest reading log :)

I remember the movie & loved it

Callan57 wrote: »
    I remember the movie & loved it

Excellent, going to watch it soon. I enjoyed the novel in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

The Secret History by Donna Tartt. Brilliant so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Children on their Birthdays - Truman Capote.

Brilliant

• Advertisement

Papillon :)

Gonna make a start on It by Stephen King. That should keep me going for a while. :)

Gonna make a start on It by Stephen King. That should keep me going for a while. :)

This is the only Stephen King book I have read. And I hated it. But don't let that put you off :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

The Help! Really liking it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Just finished The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss. Loved it, but annoyed that I'll probably be waiting forever for the final installment.

Just started A Brief History of Time. Seems decent so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The Gun Seller by Hugh "Dr. House" Laurie, I think it's fantastic, main character is not quite Ian Flemings Bond, but he's witty as Laurie himself, recommend it for spy spoof fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭jmn89

Just finished The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde (can't believe I held out against reading it for so long - it was hilarious)

Concurrently reading A Crown of Swords from the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and David Copperfield by Charles Dickens!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Half way through The Way Of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, and really enjoying it.

Patti Smith, Just Kids.

Highly recommended if you're interested in late 60s/early 70s New York.

• Advertisement

Just 20 pages into 'What the Dead Know' by Laura Lippman

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sproggy13

Page 47 of The English Patient - hard to get into:rolleyes:

Picked up As If by Blake Morrison in a charity shop for a euro. An account of the Jamie Bulger murder trial :(

Picked up As If by Blake Morrison in a charity shop for a euro. An account of the Jamie Bulger murder trial :(

I read this years ago. An extremely good account of the events leading up to and after that tragic day. If I remember correctly, it must be 8 or 9 years since I read it.

If you read the Daily Mail or papers of that ilk you probably won't like it.

I read this years ago. An extremely good account of the events leading up to and after that tragic day. If I remember correctly, it must be 8 or 9 years since I read it.

If you read the Daily Mail or papers of that ilk you probably won't like it.

I'm more of a Guardian lady ;)

It's compelling, very well written, judicious, though I find him a little too sympathetic towards the boys. It's interesting in light of all that has passed since. It's excellent, given its proximity to the murder.

EDIT: Post number 1984 - how appropriate it's in the Literature forum : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just finished "The Other Hand" by Chris Cleave- funny, sad , different.

Waiting for Harlan Coben's Live Wire to hit the shelves here.

• Advertisement

I'm more of a Guardian lady ;)

It's compelling, very well written, judicious, though I find him a little too sympathetic towards the boys. It's interesting in light of all that has passed since. It's excellent, given its proximity to the murder.

EDIT: Post number 1984 - how appropriate it's in the Literature forum : )

You can't go wrong with the Guardian.

Thinking back that's the central memory I have of the book, Morrisons attitude towards the boys. A stance that was counter to most people's feelings on the matter. Which is understandable.

Post no.1984 eh, nice spot.

While away over weekend I read "the confession" by John Grisham - predictable rubbish, but I wanted something light, so it did the job [very glad I did not pay for it tho!!] :)

Started Shogun by James Clavel <sp?> - A monster of a book, perfect for reading on my kindle :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Just finished Wild Swans by Jung Chang, definitely in my top 10, brilliant book!

About to start Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - as recommended in the 10 to read before the Apocalypse thread :D

Got it in Easons in Liffey Valley but the selection in there was sh!te - only new releases or mis lit. Going back to Chapters next time I think

Mink wrote: »
    Just finished Wild Swans by Jung Chang, definitely in my top 10, brilliant book!

About to start Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett - as recommended in the 10 to read before the Apocalypse thread :D

Got it in Easons in Liffey Valley but the selection in there was sh!te - only new releases or mis lit. Going back to Chapters next time I think

Definitely a top 10 for me too, an excellent way to learn history!

The Talented Mr Ripley. Heard good things about Highsmith so I've intended to read it for ages. Good, creepy fun.

• Advertisement
Advertisement