Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Smut two unseemly stories by Alan Bennett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I've just started blood, sweat and tears: an Irish Woman’s Journey of Self-Discovery.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/65468

A must read for any runner ;)

The Independence of Miss Mary Bennett by Colleen McCullough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnsonkid

The Celts - A History by, Peter Berresford Ellis (of Sister Fidelma fame). Great book by a great scholar. PBE demolishes some current myths (there were no such thing as Celts) and some old ones (the Celts were illiterate) is the opening pages of the book, it only gets better from there. Well worth a red for anyone interested in such history.

Cartier Trinity RingCartier Love BraceletCartierNotes Bracelet in Rose Gold Plated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The Hare with Amber Eyes

Can it possibly live up to all this hype? We shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭musical.x

Small Gods by Terry Pratchett

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just finished John Dickie's Cosa Nostra - a history of the Sicilian mafia. V imformative, not at all sensationalist, despite the Reservoir Dogs style cover.

Reading a Charlie Brooker book at the moment & smiling like a lunatic on the tube...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

The Hare with Amber Eyes

Can it possibly live up to all this hype? We shall see.

I just finished that book last week. Yes, I think it did live up to all the hype! A lovely story. I'm recommending it to everyone.

This week I'm reading "Leaving the World" by Douglas Kennedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

This week I'm reading "Leaving the World" by Douglas Kennedy.

Actually really enjoyed that.

Currently reading The Year of the Flood - Margaret Atwood. LOVE Atwood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just started The Kite Runner. Already I get the feeling there may be tears.

Today I started "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 narky

I've just finished Life of Pi. I really enjoyed it. I've started Conrad's Heart of Darkness today.

A volume of Christopher Hitchens's essays/articles: Love, Poverty & War

His style is so incredibly fluent, it reminds me most of George Eliot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm reading Martin Gilbert's history of the first world war.

• Advertisement

Just started 'The Winter Ghosts' by Kate Mosse

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Halfway throughThe Year Of The French -Thomas Flanagan for about a month (can't find the time) but don't want to rush it anyway.

Very rich descriptions,good characters you can tell he knows his stuff re Irish history.

One of those books you wonder why you didn't read it sooner. Definitely recommend it so far. Only problem is we know what happens. Still the journey is good.

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

Another World Book Night book : "Stuart - a life backwards" by Alexander Masters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Taking a short break from fiction/non-fiction and reading some Managment style books for a couple of reasons...

Just finished the prince by machiavelli, [excellent, if a little hard to understand at times, it being 500 years old odd].

and started into 48 laws of power, by Robert Green

• Advertisement

Margaret Atwood, Alias Grace

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Started Borstal Boy by Brendan Behan last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Looking Glass

About to start Les Mis. I bought it from TBD for a steal at 7.79, and it arrived this morning. The last book I read was Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist - it's good for the soul to read something vapid like that every once in a while!

What a testament to art The Hare with Amber Eyes is. Through all this, the Ephrussi wrote, created, and collected. What they left, so valuable, exhorts us all to write, create, collect. So de Waal has done, so beautifully.

I enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

A Woman In Berlin by Anonymous.

A spellbinding account of a woman’s experience’s in war devastated Berlin. Starts two weeks prior to the Russians entering the city and finishes about four weeks after the occupation. One of the best WWII memoirs I’ve read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Scarred - its hard to keep a secret when its written all over your body. Good. Like, really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Old Man's War by John Scalzi.

I thought I would like this a lot more than I did. There wasn't much to dislike about it. It has an interesting premise and some exciting technology, and it comes off a bit Futurama-like with all its different alien races but it was just too breezy or something. It felt like a novel for teens, despite the occasional suggestion of sex. The main character is just too bloody good at everything and loved by everyone so there isn't a huge amount of excitement to be had. I'm not going to bother with any of the sequels, I definitely prefer the style of Iain M Banks compared to this lighter fare. Can't quite understand the universally positive good reviews for this either. I think a lot of the joy towards it comes from the huge debt to Heinlein, but I haven't read any of his work so that all sailed over my head so I'm probably just missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm reading Catcher in the Rye for about the millionth time. I bought The God Delusion and A Thousand Splendid Suns today, looking forward to reading them.

What a testament to art The Hare with Amber Eyes is. Through all this, the Ephrussi wrote, created, and collected. What they left, so valuable, exhorts us all to write, create, collect. So de Waal has done, so beautifully.

I enjoyed it :)

I really liked this book too. Such a lovely story.

I just started "Falling Man" by Don DeLillo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Reading Salems Lot again, great book. Might try The Prestige afterwards.

• Advertisement

The Hare with Amber Eyes by Edmund de Waal
    Only started it last night but I'm finding it really addictive ... lovely book so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

American Caesars by Nigel Hamilton.

Today I started "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbery.

I think about this book every now and again. One of those that stay with you for a long time.

I think about this book every now and again. One of those that stay with you for a long time.

Interesting. It was our Book of the Month for the Book Crossing meet up which is tomorrow night. It will be interesting to see what the other readers think of it.

I'm having a good run lately, so next on my list is "Mistaken" by Neil Jordan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mochroicat

I just finished reading The Name of the Wind and A Wise Man's Fear. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a fantasy narrative that's not all elves and dragons. Warning: there are some harsh elements - it's not a happy fluffy piece.

Looking forward to the third book!

Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

The Rotters Club-Jonathan Coe

And very good it is too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

The Secret Scripture by Sebastian Barry.

Dennis Potter, The Singing Detective and E M Forster, Howard's End. Love a bit of Forster.

• Advertisement

Starting The Fields of Death by Simon Scarrow

Eliza92 wrote: »
    and now I am starting with a Woman in White by Wikkie Collins :)

Love that book ... Enjoy

Use of Weapons by Iain M. Banks.

Not bad but not as good as the first two. I think I'll take a little break from the Culture.

I must be the last person to have started the Jo Nesbro books.

I'm about half way through "The Red Breast" and I've started "Nemesis" in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Reading The Shining at the moment, been so so so long since I've read this I can't remember it at all which is great because I'm loving it, like reading it for the first time!:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Started Amongst Women by John McGahern last week but I'm in two minds about finishing it.
    In the meantime I've started Juliet Naked by Nick Hornby - it's okay so far but not great.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 kmurr04

reading grave secrets by kathy reichs at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Reading 'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill at the moment. Have just started it but I'm enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Firebird - Janice Graham

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CdeP

About seventy pages into The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver.

Very interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. About 70 pages in, I think I prefer 1984 for some reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement