Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Zoo City by Lauren Beukes.

Really enjoying it so far. It's been described as an unholy mash-up between Jeff Noon and Raymond Chandler, which is pretty damn accurate, as I'm finding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Sepulchre by Kate Mosse .... Really enjoyed Labyrinth so hope this one is as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gudwan

Trying my hand at Tristram Shandy once again. I enjoyed my previous attempts at reading it, but I just found the book exhausting. Still think it's great and I hope to finish it soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I've a few books on the go at the moment -

Book of Longing - Leonard Cohen (a collection of poems)
    The Portable Dorothy Parker (for poems/short stories)
    HP+The Goblet of Fire (because I haven't read it in years)
    The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Colm Toibin, Homage to Barcelona. He writes so beautifully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Stated E=MC² by David Bodanis which is very good so far and also The Tresspass by Barbara Ewing (which I picked up for €2 in Chapters). havent really gotten into it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

Bill Bryson's 'At Home', the man has a unique gift, for making even the most mundane of topics, appear interesting & humorous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Water For Elephants - Sara Gruen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭sumsar

Today I just finnished reading Savage by Richard Laymon, brilliant book about a kid hunting jack the ripper and chasing him across america.

I loved it.

Started Reading Lolita In Tehran which is very interesting so far, but I am waiting for Lolita itself to arrive in the post before I can read any more of it. Finished Oryx and Crake last week, still getting through Middlemarch.

:o:o
    Forgot to add I started A dance with dragons of course, that is my main in-progress right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Am currently reading the aptly named "Elizabeth Bishop: Complete Poems" and I am awestruck by her genius, despite my feeble mind barely being able to scratch the surface of her fantastic poetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Currently reading A million little pieces by James Frey. Wasn't sure would I be able to get into it because of the writing style but really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

flyaway. wrote: »
    The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Really enjoying it so far!

That's the last book I read, it's brilliant:D. Currently reading Mistaken by Neil Jordan. Strange, but very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

My Life In Orange by Tim Guest. Life with the guru Bhagwan Rajneesh. He does like a nice Rolls Royce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

A Visit from the Goon Squad, Jennifer Egan.

Just as good as everyone says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I had to put down Dante's Inferno for awhile - a little too dark
    For now, I'm reading Bronte - a collection of Emilys' poetry.
    I've a few books on the go at the moment -
    Book of Longing - Leonard Cohen (a collection of poems)
    The Portable Dorothy Parker (for poems/short stories)
    HP+The Goblet of Fire (because I haven't read it in years)
    The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
    These sound interesting, Belle. Think I'll check out the Book of Longing at the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Kiva.D wrote: »
    For now, I'm reading Bronte - a collection of Emilys' poetry.

That sounds like it would be wonderful :) I'd love to here what you thought of them, I'm really getting into my poetry at the minute... I really like Oscar Wilde and W.B Yeats stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

• Advertisement

Alan Hollinghurst, The Stranger's Child

Early tip for the Booker :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Arlecchina wrote: »
    Zoo City by Lauren Beukes.

Really enjoying it so far. It's been described as an unholy mash-up between Jeff Noon and Raymond Chandler, which is pretty damn accurate, as I'm finding.

Loved it too! Not mad keen on the ending, but it wasn't terrible. So glad someone else has read it and enjoyed it!

Currently (finally) reading The Life of Pi. Bought about 8 copies and am finally reading one my friend has lent to me. There's always been a reason I haven't been able to read it to date. Enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Asphyxia wrote: »
    That sounds like it would be wonderful :) I'd love to here what you thought of them, I'm really getting into my poetry at the minute... I really like Oscar Wilde and W.B Yeats stuff :D
    :) Poetry is helping me get back into the swing of reading again. But sixty pages into Bronte and I'm feeling gloomy :( - focusing more on her incessant death wishes than appreciating her style. I look forward to hearing what you think of Yeats and Wilde.

Starting She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Started A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess yesterday.

A very good read and easily understandable after a few pages.

Got a few books today :)

Going to start Labyrinth by Kate Mosse tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just started The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Have just finished the girl with the dragon tattoo and couldn't wait to start this one :D

ulinbac wrote: »
    Just started The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larsson. Have just finished the girl with the dragon tattoo and couldn't wait to start this one :D

Adored those books :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler

"That man is already dead who must indulge his own vices by proxy"

• Advertisement

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Oh I cried so much with that book, loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

I just finished the devils star by jo nesbo. Really enjoyed it. But since i've just read the first three in the Harry Hole series I think I'll give them a break and go back to The Slap (it was my night shift book however I've had a lot of busy nights so I've lost the flow)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Stephen King's The Shining. Finally getting all those references in the Simpsons! About half way through, good so far. Of King's work I've only read The Dark Tower series and Cell to date but his stories seem to "flow" well in an accessible way.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Started Reading Lolita In Tehran which is very interesting so far, but I am waiting for Lolita itself to arrive in the post before I can read any more of it. Finished Oryx and Crake last week, still getting through Middlemarch.

:o:o
    Forgot to add I started A dance with dragons of course, that is my main in-progress right now.

Lolita arrived, so can add that to the list. Only about halfway through ADWD and still working on Middlemarch. Long weekend ahead so I can finally get through them...

I started Plain Truth by Jodie Picolt this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

swapped some james patterson pi*s for 1984 in a hostel swop shelf. now just mentally preparing myself for a challenging read.

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

On Holidays I finished Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin [song of fire and ice, books 1 and 2]

Three guesses what Im reading now :)

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's all right so far but nothing special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just after starting Mr. Nice by Howard Marks

• Advertisement

Heartstone by C J Sansom

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

Catcher In The Rye :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Just finished Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiousities, going to read The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales until I can get my hands on Fatal Voyage by Cathy Reichs. Listening to A Short History of Nearly Everything in the car as well. Wow that sounds like a lot!

Just started reading Crow Lake by Mary Lawson this afternoon.

'Less Than Zero' by Bret Easton Ellis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five

I'm reading The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. It's a collection of short stories and I'm really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

HG Wells' The Shape of Things to Come. Might be tough going keeping this one up...

Giving Don Quixote a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

RE: Zoo City.
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    Loved it too! Not mad keen on the ending, but it wasn't terrible. So glad someone else has read it and enjoyed it!

This was pretty much my reaction, too! I won't spoil it for anyone else, but it all seemed to get a bit rushed at the end. The rest of the book was amazing, though — definitely a 2011 fave. Really glad to hear you enjoyed it, too. :)

Just finished Michel Faber's 'Under the Skin', which was just astounding. Now, after a little breather from Westeros, I'm moving on to GRRM's 'A Feast for Crows'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement