Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five

I just finished that book, I loved it. I'm really interested in WW2 literature, so this book was really up my street. I love those post WW2 American writers.

I just received "Breakfast With Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut also, so I'm just about to start that.

I also started "A Town Like Alice" by Nevil Shute, it's Book of the Month for the Book Crossing meet up next week.

I'm also up to about page 70 of "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin.

And finally, I'm still reading "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes.

I kinda like war/history/cult fiction books.

Callan57 wrote: »
    Heartstone by C J Sansom

I have this book on my shelf, waiting...to be read. I really enjoyed Dark Fire and Sovereign. I was lucky to receive a copy of Dissolution for World Book Night, so have to read that yet.

What do you think of Heartstone? I like the fact of the series being set in Tudor times. I'm a fan of the Tudors on TV also, and some of the same characters come up in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I have this book on my shelf, waiting...to be read. I really enjoyed Dark Fire and Sovereign. I was lucky to receive a copy of Dissolution for World Book Night, so have to read that yet.

What do you think of Heartstone? I like the fact of the series being set in Tudor times. I'm a fan of the Tudors on TV also, and some of the same characters come up in the books.

Loving it ... I have Sovereign on standby & I've already read Dissolution, Dark Fire & Revelation. I don't think I lost anything by not reading the series in order ... they are very much stand alone books. Likewise I love the Tudor period & I love how Sansom doesn't just concentrate on the lives of the 'previledged' .. I really enjoy all the detail about the difficulties of travel, food provision, sleeping arrangements etc.
    Have you read his 'Winter in Madrid' ... centered on the Spanish Civil War & its aftermath? ... also brilliant IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Giving Don Quixote a go.

Good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I just finished that book, I loved it. I'm really interested in WW2 literature, so this book was really up my street. I love those post WW2 American writers.

I just received "Breakfast With Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut also, so I'm just about to start that.

I also started "A Town Like Alice" by Nevil Shute, it's Book of the Month for the Book Crossing meet up next week.

I'm also up to about page 70 of "Game of Thrones" by George R.R. Martin.

And finally, I'm still reading "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes.

I kinda like war/history/cult fiction books.

Oh I LOVED A Town Like Alice! (the film is a real tearjerker!). Another classic by Shute is On the Beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

Beginning The Infinities by John Banvile

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

A Death in Tuscany by Michele Giuttari.

Written by the former head of police in Florence. I hope to God he was a better policeman than he is a writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Moneyball by Michael Lewis. A book about baseball or to be more specific baseball statistics. I know absolutely nothing about baseball but yet this book is fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I've started two books today: Six Suspects by Vikas Swarup and The Once and Future King by Terence White for the boards book club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Taking a break from Quixote with Stewart Lee's How I Escaped my Certain Fate: The Life and Deaths of a Stand-Up Comedian.

One page and two chortles in .. brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Giving Don Quixote a go.

Let me know how you get on, I have it in my "to read pile" and it's getting close to the top. Although i've just read "The Man Without Qualities" and I'm less than likely to jump into another large "classic" so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Einhard wrote: »
    A Death in Tuscany by Michele Giuttari.

Written by the former head of police in Florence. I hope to God he was a better policeman than he is a writer.

:D

I got that for my wife for a present a while back. She said it was pretty poor alright!

Currently "Journey to the End of the Night" by Loius-Ferdinand Celine. Superb

• Advertisement

Let me know how you get on, I have it in my "to read pile" and it's getting close to the top. Although i've just read "The Man Without Qualities" and I'm less than likely to jump into another large "classic" so soon.

I'd say definitely give it a go at some point. It's amusing, sometimes funny and a lot of the little episodes are entertaining. It's also long and can get repetitive, so I like to rotate it with something lighter. I read fifty pages or a hundred pages then put it aside for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Started Game of Thrones by George RR Martin last night.

A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Following some glowing references from on here I'm just about to start A Confederacy of Dunces. Read about four pages last night before I fell asleep (nothing to do with the quality of the book, I was just knackered)

Very tragic about the author.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Currently reading Athena by John Banville and loving it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

A last minute pick up while at the library! I read it quite young but so far it still the same to me, very bland start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Midnight's Children

Been reading it a while but am just over half way. Like The Satanic Verses (the only other Rushdie novel I've read) it's slow moving at times and the language can be a bit difficult and flowery. But Salman Rushdie is one hell of a stroyteller!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sproggy13

Reading 'Black Angel' by John Connolly. Its my first read by this author. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

I am reading "The Facts of Life" by Patrick Gale. I love Gale's way with words. It is good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

flyaway. wrote: »
    A Clockwork Orange- Anthony Burgess

That, it's totally win.

I'm about 2/3 of the way in "The Stranger's Child" by Alan Hollinghurst. I'm really enjoying this book. It starts off a bit like "Brideshead Revisited", now it's all over the place. The story starts about 1911 or so, then moves on during the century. I don't want to give too much away.

It's nominated as one of the Booker Prize titles for 2011, on the longlist.

I'm glad I started reading this one first from the 2011, as I didn't have a great experience with some of the Booker Prize books last year.

Started Sepulchre by Kate Mosse, I really enjoyed her book Labyrinth so I picked it up this morning while I was in the library :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Bad Science - Ben Goldacre

:D

I'm about to start a crime novel called The Burning by a Dublin writer named Jane Casey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I'm working my way through Philip K. Dick's short story collections.

Currently reading Volume 2 (Second Variety)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Roughly half-way through Clash of Kings by George Martin atm. Its brill! Just after finding out that
    Bran MIGHT have found out who pushed him off the tower while he was dreamiing. Dont know yet though.

Starting Snowdrops by A D Miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have just started Lisa Gardner's Live to Tell- scary,thought provoking stuff.
    (If you don't know whether or not to have children, this may help you decide.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I finished At Swim-Two-Birds by Flann O Brien two weeks ago. Absolutely loved it. Parts were confusing, but otherwise it was great. Books rarely make me laugh out loud but I did a few times while reading this.

I'm now reading The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Very good thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Recently read the hare with the amber eyes and loved it!

Paulownia wrote: »
    Recently read the hare with the amber eyes and loved it!

Great read ... loved it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

Fin. reading George Orwell's 1984.
    Brought out some mixed emotions in me ... a never forgetting experience.
    Loved it. Not recommended for the mentally challenged.

Started Animal Farm by him .. ah damn, it's like '84 all over again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Finished Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney. It was a fantastic ending, now what you would expect.

Starting Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson now.

A Fair Maiden by Joyce Carol Oates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Anne of Green Gables.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

Callan57 wrote: »
    Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
    what is it about?:rolleyes:

The Reckoning by Jane Casey

Paulownia wrote: »
    what is it about?:rolleyes:

About a guy with an IQ of 68 who undergoes some sort of experimental treatment designed to improve his intelligence. I'm only a few pages in but so far it's very gripping ... the first part is written in a kind of diary format by the guy as he goes through all these IQ tests etc Funny in a very sad kind of way ... bit like Rainman.

I'm reading Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kid, I really like The Secret Life of Bees and this one is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I just read 'Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. I really enjoyed it (once I got about a chapter in), well written, interesting, some nice angles. Slight touch of up-market Harry Potter about it.

Then I got my hands on the sequel 'The Wise Man's Fear'. I have stuff to be doing, work to get on with, but I keep picking it up to read a bit more. His writing style is amazing. I find myself re-reading bits just for the joy of the way the words fit together. His ideas are delicately crafted, like the very best fantasy steam-punk art nouveau, then perfectly expressed.

I'm sorry if my descriptions are a bit vomit inducing. If I say there is a long description of a fae encounter with most of the conversation written in rhyme I know it would put anyone off, but don't be put off. Its one of the most appealing books I have read in a very long time.

I finally just finished "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes. Really gripping stuff. I hadn't realised there was so much racism during the Vietnam War, between the soldiers.

Now I'm about halfway through "How to be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran. It's hilarious, and so true.

Witness the Night by Kishwar Desai

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

"say her name" - anyone read it. about a man's grief after the loss of his wife. liking it so far might be a bit too sad though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement