Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Story of Yew by Guido Mina Di Sospiro

The autobiography of a yew tree. Yep - different and imaginative.
    The tree lives for up to 2000 years and tells its life story in Ireland from pagan times onwards. Characters it has encounters with include possibly Robin Hood.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Story-Yew-Guido-Mina-Sospiro/dp/1899171630/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314021179&sr=1-10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montifiore. Liking it so far, SSB can't be faulted on his attention to detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Young Stalin by Simon Sebag Montifiore. Liking it so far, SSB can't be faulted on his attention to detail.

Great book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Just finished Home by Bill Bryson and also a utterly stupid "how to be a better manager" book.

I have now resumed A Storm of Swords - book 3 of the Fire and Ice [game of thrones] series...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

One Day by David Nicholls

The Film Explainer by Gert Hofmann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Less Than Zero and Imperial Bedrooms by Brett Easton Ellis.

They are both short books so it won't take me long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished John Giles Football Man

I started Persuasion for the 3rd time on the train on Sunday, but due to a pestering from my best friend, I have started Gone With The Wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Bare-Faced Messiah

Biog of L Ron Hubbard. Out of print but free to read here:

http://www.xenu.net/archive/books/bfm/bfm04.htm

An interesting character, to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Just finished book number 8th the last one in the Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard and I have to say I am blown away :D:D So glad I decided to read them I was going to stick it out and watch the programme but I wasn't able to resist temptation :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Looking forward to that, picked it up for quite cheap in Chapters some time back and has been in my ever-expanding "to read" pile.

Plucked "The Grapes of Wrath" out of said pile this week after finishing "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson.

I've no idea how, but i was convinced i had read "The grapes of wrath" years ago. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭cozar

Looking forward to that, picked it up for quite cheap in Chapters some time back and has been in my ever-expanding "to read" pile.

Plucked "The Grapes of Wrath" out of said pile this week after finishing "Housekeeping" by Marilynne Robinson.

I've no idea how, but i was convinced i had read "The grapes of wrath" years ago. :)

"The Grapes of Wrath" by a long shot my favourite book of all time. the ending always comes back to haunt me.!

cozar wrote: »
    "The Grapes of Wrath" by a long shot my favourite book of all time. the ending always comes back to haunt me.!

Only 70 or so pages gone so far, but I'm really enjoying it. What i need is for work & sundry distractions to take a polite backseat in my life so i can get a few uninterrupted hours reading. Which may not happen until Sunday. :mad:

What i need is for work & sundry distractions to take a polite backseat in my life so i can get a few uninterrupted hours reading.

I know what you mean! We have been talking in work about "reading days", where you take a day off work to catch up with your reading, bliss!

Next book up is non-fiction for a change, "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.

[QUOTE=Next book up is non-fiction for a change, "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre.[/QUOTE]

Brilliant book, well written. And funny too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Started trying to read "Then We Came To The End" again. Not as bad this time. Think I can relate to the mind-numbing-ness better this time. Might even make it to the end!

You won't be disappointed!
    Blush_01 wrote: »
    Started trying to read "Then We Came To The End" again. Not as bad this time. Think I can relate to the mind-numbing-ness better this time. Might even make it to the end!

I loved that, thought twas funny and so true of office life. Great ending too, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Blush_01 wrote: »

Laughed out loud on numerous occasions whilst reading this book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

girlonfire wrote: »
    The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
    This was the first Atwood novel I read and I found it rather disappointing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

Complicity and Conviction by William Hubbard

The Letters of Robert Browning and Elizabeth B. Barrett

Just about to start Philip Roth's The Plot Against America. It was either that or Celebrity Big Brother :pac:

The Secret Mandarin by Sara Sheridan

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner

Excellent name for the author considering the title of the book.

I am currently reading A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian then on to a bit of war with From Here to Eternity by Jack Jones and How Many Miles to Babylon by Jennifer Johnson (nice bit of alliteration there with the authors names).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. So far I love it, he seems to have a great way with words.

Also making my way through The Ecclesiastical History of the English People by Bede in prep for college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Reading The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov. So far I love it, he seems to have a great way with words.

Great book, if you get the right translation.

Just started Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. The first 50 or so pages are some of the most ponderous and self-indulgent waffle I've ever read. I'm assured it gets better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan

Bossypants - Tina Fey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Buddah

Started reading Lord of the Rings, for the 100th time or thereabouts last week. For the first time ever I am actually reading the endless lyrics of the songs of the Elves, Men, Hobbits, Orcs and am again astounded at Tolkien's patience and memory not only for each species, or kingdom but the endless different names each have for the population of Middle Earth.

Tolkien started writing The Hobbit in 1937 and ended The Lord of the Rings in 1949. As all evil headed by Sauron lies in the East and all goodness and purity lies in the west I assume Tolkien was not in favour of communism. I don't know, perhaps I'm wrong. But one thing I do know. This world is not divided into black and white, good and evil, and the writers of history are as prejudiced and as non-objective as any. Brilliant Book. Genius writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Solace, by Belinda McKeon.

Quite enjoying it so far, but only a quarter the way in. Though it does beg the question, do you have to write like Colm Toibin or John McGahern to get published in this country? Her style is so distinctly Irish it's offputting, and the theme of father/son conflict, you just wish someone would write something that doesn't sound like every other Irish novel ever published.

• Advertisement

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

Just finished the first volume of Gaiman's Sandman series: Preludes & Nocturnes.

Best spare me pennies for volume two then.

Kate Mosse - The Cave

• Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

Just begun The Thief of Time by John Boyne and while it's not fictional just finished reading Rethinking Thin - on a roll at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

A Storm of Swords _ Steel & Snow by George RR Martin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Buddah

I read The Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman. Has anyone else read it? Or the follow up which I have not located yet due to the slings and arrows of........... I got it for the young fellow but I will wait untill he's a bit older. Clerical favoured pastimes feature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Zoe Heller - Notes on a Scandal.

40 pages in and am really enjoying it so far. Simple English but still well written, a very interesting narrator, plenty of dark humour and laugh out loud lines.....I'm hoping the high standard set early on is kept constant throughout. :)

I started Atonement - Ian McEwan last night, I'm about 70 pages in and it's okay nothing majorly exciting yet but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Arianna_26

Finished The Whisperer by Donato Carrisi - really enjoyed it.

Now finishing up Rebecca (by Daphne Du Maurier) - loved it.

• Advertisement

I just started The Lost World by Michael Crichton this afternoon

A God in Ruins by Leon Uris

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Fight Club - three chapters in - so far, so very, very good.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

The Death of Bunny Munro by Nick Cave

I'm a huge fan of the man, but I really thought this was a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just finishing up Heidi. I think that's going to be the last of the children's book phase I've been in. Don't know what to read next.

I'm flying through books this week!

I'm going to start the Wasp Factory tonight, another book I read at a younger age and was completely grossed out by but I'm hoping another read will help me understand it a bit more.

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf.

What do you think of it? I just watched the film "The Hours" yesterday so was wondering about the book.

I'm on a non-fiction feast at the moment. I finished "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre yesterday. I'm just finishing "Enough" by John Naish and next up is "Smile or Die" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

The reason I'm reading so much non-fiction lately is because we are swopping around the non-fiction books through Book Crossing.

Mister Pip by Lloyd Jones

• Advertisement

What do you think of it? I just watched the film "The Hours" yesterday so was wondering about the book.

I'm on a non-fiction feast at the moment. I finished "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre yesterday. I'm just finishing "Enough" by John Naish and next up is "Smile or Die" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

The reason I'm reading so much non-fiction lately is because we are swopping around the non-fiction books through Book Crossing.

Yes I like it, I'll finish it later on. The style and structure won't be to everyone's taste. That whole era appeals to me also.

I loved Bad Science btw.

Advertisement