Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Options
1282283284285286288»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've just finished reading 'I Found You' by Lisa Jewell which I found quite good - I like easy-to-read, mystery page turners and it ticked all of those boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished Eric Jay Dolin's Black Flag Blue Waters which is about the golden age of piracy in the early 18th century. Focused for the most part around the then American colonies it wasn't great although it did have some interesting parts. 

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Notes on an execution, Danya Kukafka. An interesting take on the serial killer type book, but with much more focus on other players - sister of a victim, mother of the killer, the investigator, etc. Hadn't heard of it previously but would definitely recommend.

Finished Gene Kerrigan's The Midnight Choir. More well know as a journalist obviously I have been massively impressed with his crime novels this being the second I have read. Loved every minute of this gritty noir tale.

Started a reread of Mr. Vertigo, prompted by the death of Paul Auster last week. Read a lot of his stuff years ago so interested to see what I think of it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am reading Fintan O'Toole's We Dont Know Ourselves….. dont know what to make of it - it has the look of a book that is extensively researched and to some degree it is; but it seems very much a book of 'using facts to support my argument' rather than 'my argument is based on facts'.

Example - he talks about the two abortion referendums 1983 and 2018 - and goes on this long and winding anecdote about how the elderly in 2018 did an about turn from the 1983 referendum. That they had been so against abortion then, and were so for it now. That a whole 40% of over 65s supported repeal in 2018. I had to read the sentence twice.

And I went to Wiki and checked - in 1983, the referendum was defeated 65% to 35% - its a fair guess to say that the 25-45 age cohort at that time (i.e. the over 65s of 2018) would have been more liberal than the overall populace at that time. In other words, it didnt look to me like this cohort had shifted its view at all over the 35 year period.

But he built this long narrative of how it had dramatically shifted.

So overall, its an interesting read but very much his own interpretation and narrative of Irish society, with 'facts' used to suit.

The anecdotal stuff is very interesting though, especially about Haughey.

Finished Eric Jay Dolin's Rebels At Sea. It is an account of the use of privateers during the American revolution. While it had some interesting bits overall it wasn't a good read.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Currently reading 'I'm Glad My Mom Died', only just started but I have seen lots of positive reviews for it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's on my list - be interested to get your thoughts.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I only finished this yesterday, I enjoyed it overall, a great story and definitely on the 'better' end of misery lit of that makes sense. It's really interesting to hear how she felt about herself and her thoughts about her mom who was abusive but at the same time you are reading them thinking 'think is not right'. I felt a bit astray at times as she omitted her age and/or dates a lot of the time so wasn't always easy to gauge at what stage of her life some things were happening to her. I am too old to have been in the iCarly generation too so I'm sure actual fans will get more out of it. I'd still give it a 4/5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

City of Bohane.

What a book .

Finished Michael Connelly's The Late Show and enjoyed the read. The author introduces us to a new main leading character although the style is still very similar to his previous crime novels.

Quite good, but not as good as I remembered. Still, whet my appetite for a reread/first read of more Paul Auster stuff. Might go for the more post-moderny New York Trilogy next.

Finally started Demon Copperhead, Barbara Kingsolver. Only a little more than halfway through but if it keeps up the quality, it will probably be the best thing I've read all year.

Great writer. His new one, the Heart in Winter, is in my holiday pile

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

Reading Gai Jin at the moment and enjoying it, but it's something like 1200 pages and instead of just enjoying the process I keep thinking how many other books i could read during this time.

I'm always this was with long books, and even getting to the end of a book i rush.

Not very mindful!

Finished John Connolly's The Woman In The Woods. Another brilliant entry in the authors Charlier Parker PI series with its usual supernatural/horror twist. Great read loved it. 

Finished Ken Bruen's In The Galway Silence. I just love his witty dialogue and this one is right up there classic Irish noir at its best from his Jack Taylor series.

Advertisement