Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Concert Ticket by Olga Grushin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Reading Generation Kill. I've seen the TV series and after 40 pages in I'm sick of the macho American bull**** already. With the curse of finishing a book once I start it hanging over me I know I'm going to read it all. *sigh*

At least I have Crime and Punishment to look forward to afterwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Reading Generation Kill. I've seen the TV series and after 40 pages in I'm sick of the macho American bull**** already. With the curse of finishing a book once I start it hanging over me I know I'm going to read it all. *sigh*

At least I have Crime and Punishment to look forward to afterwards

I recently "killed" the last two episodes of the tv series, they'd been hanging around on my skyplus for.... well it must be have been nearly two years.

I could just never bring myself to watch them there was always something better I could have been doing. The series for me anyway never really got going although it wasn't terrible but there's no way I'd attempt the book.

Like you though if I start a book I've got to finish it, grit you're teeth and soldier on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Finished The Game of Thrones on Saturday (will start the second in a few weeks), then started The Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy on Sunday and Finished it on Tuesday. Didn't think it was as good as everybody made it out to be but was surprised by the amount of people (even those that would never really talk about reading) that have read it. Strangely enough I have found it funnier looking back on it then when I was reading it.

Started The Holy Grail of Macroeconomics - Lessons from the Japanese Recession. 30 pages in and its really interesting. That said my college and work are all finance related, but its an easy read and learning a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Boy A by Jonathan Trigell.

I've seen the film already and it seems twas a faithful adaptation. A good read (semi-based on the Jamie Bulger murder).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CleanYerPlate

"The Pink Ladies Club" by Emma Hannigan. Chicklit would never be my first choice, or even my second, but I was intrigued when I saw her on the Late Late. Nice story but shockingly repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Remember Me by Trezza Azzopardi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I started reading the hunger games yesterday by 9 pm i had finished book 1 and started book 2, went to sleep at 11 but my little guy was sick so i got up with him at 1am and read the rest of book 2, at 3am i started book 3 and finished it by 7.10 this moring, i read the whole trilogy in around 17 hours thats around 1200 pages... With breaks to give my little guy medicine and pat him down with wet towels and open up windows and give him iced drinks.

im going to suffer with a bad migraine in the morning......

Vol. 2 of The Sandman: The Doll's House.

And of course it looks awesome :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 mdood32

Caitlin Moran's book is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

mdood32 wrote: »

A few laughs but I wouldn't have called it hilarious IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Travel is good

mdood32 wrote: »

I really liked that book too. I bought a few extra copies to share with people.

I am reading "Them - adventures with extremists" and "What I do" , both by Jon Ronson. I am in this non fiction book swap. It's good because it is making me read my non fiction books.

The Lacuna by Barabara Kingsolver. It's taken me about 90 pages or so to settle into it but feeling very comfy with it now, I think I'm going to really like this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Yesterday, I started reading Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews. I can't put it down. I'm half way through it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

I finished Life of Pi this morning. The ending was good but overall I was underwhelmed by it.
    Frankly, Pi bugged the hell out of me. He was quite an irritating, self-righteous little bastard. I'd have been much happier if Richard Parker had just eaten him and then took over narration of the story!

• Advertisement

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Yesterday, I started reading Flowers in the Attic by Virginia Andrews. I can't put it down. I'm half way through it already.

i ate through that series when i was a kid, brilliant

read snow flower and the secret fan last night
    it wasn't very good
    entertaining i suppose but i wouldn't recommend it

starting on the fountainhead next as it also arrived last night

A Greyhound of a Girl by Roddy Doyle .... loving it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

The Ninja. Eric Van Lustbader. Just started it.

How Many Miles to Babylon, Jennifer Johnston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

• Advertisement

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

I just finished Children of Men by PD James..a departure from her ususal genre,but well worth the read..it has some interesting things to say about the role of government, and the way it impinges on peoples lives

daithi

Antonio Damascio, Descartes's Error

Roddy Doyle's A Star Called Henry

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

I'm reading Suzanne Collins 'Hunger Games' Trilogy this week, I'm on the third and I've really enjoyed them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

http://www.amazon.com/Einstein-Life-Universe-Walter-Isaacson/dp/0743264746/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322278054&sr=8-1

Einstein: His Life and Universe from the same dude that wrote Jobs biography. It's fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

I picked up Emily Brontes 'Wuthering Heights' while waiting for the boards winter book club reads to arrive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

The Genesis of Values - Hans Joas

http://www.amazon.com/Genesis-Values-Hans-Joas/dp/0226400409

It's mostly research for my dissertation but I read The Moral Landscape by Sam Harris immediately before it, and that was as much for my dissertation as it was for myself, so The Genesis of Values has taken on that form too, even if it is a bit of a tome at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Bill Shock

Just finished Mistaken by Niall Jordan...well worth reading, especially if you are familiar with Dublin.

Have now started The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 purplek

Started The Ask and the Answer yesterday. very good

Patrick Ness is brilliant. Loved that series. Just started "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind. Pretty good so far. :D

The Song House by Trezza Azzopardi

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Rereading A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking - superb.

Genealogy Forum Mod

purplek wrote: »
    Patrick Ness is brilliant. Loved that series. Just started "Perfume" by Patrick Suskind. Pretty good so far. :D
    I really enjoyed the first half or so of Perfume, then found it just started to drag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Bill Shock

Picked up Patrick de Witt's Booker-nominated "The Sisters Brothers" yesterday and am almost finished it already. Absolutely brilliant and an easy read.

Surely the Coen brothers have already secured the film rights......

Erving Goffman, Asylums.

Found this in the attic and thought it might be interesting to read such a seminal work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 purplek

Bill Shock wrote: »
    Just finished Mistaken by Niall Jordan...well worth reading, especially if you are familiar with Dublin.

QUOTE]

Not a patch on Neil Jordan's "Shade" IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Finished Everything and Nothing by Araminta Hall which was quite good.

Am about a third of the way through Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks as wanted something light and fluffy. It is probably one of the worst written books I've ever read....will persevere.

Looking like Orwell's 1984 after this to remind myself what real writing is :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Sebastian Faulks - A Week in December

• Advertisement

Bill Shock wrote: »

Have now started The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst...

The Line of Beauty is simply superb and the BBC did a brilliant job with their adaptation too.

Just finishing The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver which I thought was very good indeed, I'm glad that I bought The Poisonwood Bible at the same time but I'm going to read If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things by Jon McGregor next.

Just starting Chicago by Alaa Al Aswany ..... he wrote The Yacoubian Building so it should be good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    to remind myself what real writing is :)

I know that feeling.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

cosmic wrote: »
    Sebastian Faulks - A Week in December
    Read this last year - was disappointed! How do you find it?

Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

• Advertisement

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    The Reader by Bernhard Schlink

Loved that book ... and the movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Just finished Stalin: Court of the Red Tsar, excellent book if you're anyway interested in Soviet history. It's a fantastic portrait of the private life of Stalin and his cronies, pretty frightening in a way to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Just started reading the Winter Book Clubs selection,The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern... Thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Reading The Lord of the Rings, perfect time of year, loving every page!:)

Starting Death Comes To Pemberley by P D James

• Advertisement
Advertisement