Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Spent the last few hours reading 'Ashes' quite enjoyed it, looking forward to book 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Just finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I just started Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 sapere_aude

Just about finished "Mud, Sweat and Tears", Bear Grylls' autobiography (actually really interesting) and starting Macbeth - loving free iBooks for iPhone!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I just started Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut this afternoon.
    Enjoy that and then move on to other great novels by Vonnegut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

11/22/63 - Stephen King
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11/22/63

• Registered Users Posts: 37 supersaintpats

Emperor of all the Maladies, a biography of cancer by Siddhartba Mukherjee; compelling and fascinating history book, winner of Pulitzer non-fiction prize 2011, and the Guardian first book award 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

A stone of Swords 1: steel and snow, George RR Martin,

so glad one of my workmates got me into these books, would have never picked them up myself, now I can't put them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The Crossroads by Niccoló Ammaniti.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Harry the Red

The Crossroads by Niccoló Ammaniti.

o i hav been reading teh twilight saga (edwerdxbella 4eva) and hary potter its kinda lik dat book probubly but not that booring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Unearthed a copy of Catch 22 I acquired several years ago but never got round to reading. Enjoying it so far at any rate.

I started reading This Boy's Life by Tobias Wolff a few hours ago and I haven't been able to put it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Started James Patterson (Alex Cross) series last week. On the second book now "Kiss the Girls"
    Not bad at all, has anyone got through the entire 18 books in this series?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver. It's hitting a bit close to the bone in parts, I have to say...

o i hav been reading teh twilight saga (edwerdxbella 4eva) and hary potter its kinda lik dat book probubly but not that booring.

Harry the inbred, judging by your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭litup

Honey-ec wrote: »
    We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver. It's hitting a bit close to the bone in parts, I have to say...

Loved that book. Tough to read alright, but I think all potential parents should give it a read!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭deem79

Slaughterhouse 5 is a great book...... completely insane, but great

Harry the inbred, judging by your post.

Nothing funnier than when the snarky person misses the joke entirely !

Mario Vargas Llosa - The Feast of the Goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

deem79 wrote: »

I hate smart arses too. Why can't they just keep their opinions to themselves. As if anyone cares what they think :rolleyes:

Back to the topic in hand: This week I am mostly reading A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute and am enjoying it immensely. A great start to the New Year.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

HANGOVER SQUARE by Patrick Hamilton

I just started The Bridges of Madison County by R.J. Waller tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Smiley's People by John Le Carre. If you liked the film Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy then you will love this. He is a brilliant writer-the doyen of the British Spy thriller. We could all be Smiley and that is what makes him so appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭timewilltell

This week I am mostly reading How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff. I'd say this is my 5th time to read it, doing it as part of my thesis this time!

since the 1st of jan ive read, 'starcrossed' 'wither' 'city of bones' city of ashes' city of glass' and ' city of fallen angels' quite enjoyed all of them only they have left me with an almighty migraine.

i have 'gone, hunger, lies and plague' left to read along with 'the enemy, the dead and the fear' also i have the maze runner series and little star by john lindqvist, the author of let the right one in, which was turned into the film ' let me in' my head killing me from reading so im going to watch buffy the vampire slayer first to give my head a rest...

What?

Tonight, I've started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭beatrice33

litup wrote: »
    Loved that book. Tough to read alright, but I think all potential parents should give it a read!

Don't read it if you are expecting...just saying

• Advertisement

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    Tonight, I've started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt.

If you're not up early in the morning you may find it hard to put down.

Just finished maze runner. will read the other 2 books in the coming days..

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

In the middle of too close to home by Linwood Barclay. It's odd. But it's ok.

ChewChew wrote: »

I find linwoods novels easy to read, quite light and story lines are ok, nothing spectacular but readable.

Really enjoyed Nevil Shutes novel. Didn't realise he had such deep Irish connections (his father worked in the GPO during the Rising). Next up: Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Really enjoyed Nevil Shutes novel. Didn't realise he had such deep Irish connections (his father worked in the GPO during the Rising). Next up: Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord

I really like Nevil Shute's writing and find he is under-rated. Try "On the Beach", chilling.

• Advertisement

I really like Nevil Shute's writing and find he is under-rated. Try "On the Beach", chilling.

I enjoyed his style too. I'll check out 'On the Beach'. Thanks

finished the scorch trials, bit peeved that i cant get hold of 'the death cure' until april, may have to order it off amazon.com :(

Started karlology, his a gas man...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I've just started reading the new Shrlock Holmes novel, "The House of Silk" by Anthony Horowitz. It's great and I'd really recommend it.

Initially I was quite skeptical of a new SH novel but then reasoned that, since I'm enjoying Stephen Moffitt's BBC series so much, new isn't necessarily bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Mario Vargas Llosa - The Feast of the Goat

Fantastic read.

Just started "White Noise" by Don DeLillo. I just finished "There but for the" by Ali Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

About to begin Praetorian by Simon Scarrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I just finished "There but for the" by Ali Smith.

What did you think of that? I read about 80 pages and, 5 months later, still haven't gotten back to it. Like "The Slap", I found the premise interesting but it just didn't deliver enough of a story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ChewChew wrote: »

Stated reading this myself two last night. 27% the way through it now according to my kindle. Read never look away earlier in the year, enjoying this so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

Just finished We need to talk about Kevin .. tough going but enjoyable! Also just finished The girl with the dragon tattoo ... Yes i jumped on the bandwagon ha ha i actually enjoyed it and im toying with the idea of reading the final two :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Read 'the enemy and the fear' started reading 'th fear' all about zombies, plenty of deaths though not too graphic.

Stairway To Hell by Charlie Williams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Got a kindle at Christmas and I haven't put it down:

Read The Hunger Games trilogy last weekend, I only bought it because I kept seeing the name pop up but I really enjoyed it.

On the recommendations of you guys I'm reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, can't believe I never read it before, really enjoyable,thanks :) (and free on kindle)

Just finished Work! Consume! Die! by Frankie Boyle, I don't like his comedy and I don't know why I bought it but some of his thinking is bang on. Some of it is off the wall with long rants. If you like crazy Scotsmen then this is for you.

Nineteen Eighty Four is next, wish me luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just after starting the Hunger Games. I hope it lives up to the hype because every second person seems to be raving about the trilogy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

I just started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs tonight and I haven't been able to put it down. I'm already halfway through it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement