Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

x_Ellie_x wrote:
    I just started Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs tonight and I haven't been able to put it down. I'm already halfway through it.

Just looked this up - sounds interesting!

I'm currently reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Just looked this up - sounds interesting!

It's a great book! I really enjoyed it and I loved all the old photos. They fit in perfectly with the book. A word of warning though, the book leaves off on a cliffhanger and the sequel won't be coming out for another 14 months which is really frustrating. My advice: buy the book now (just in case they start reprinting it without the wonderful photos like they did with Sara Gruen's Water For Elephants) and hold off reading it until its closer to the release date for the sequel.

I'm just about to start reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

I've just polished off "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk, which was excellent. I'm also midway through "The Death Of WCW" by RD Reynolds, which is really only of interest to those of us who like the peculiar sport of oiled-up muscly men in tights pretending to hit each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Just after starting the Hunger Games. I hope it lives up to the hype because every second person seems to be raving about the trilogy!

Just read the entire Hunger Games series in four days. Its act a brilliant read even though people keep comparing it to Twilight. I couldnt stop crying in some bits and I just love how the author takes the series in realistic but completely unexpected directions.

Im now looking for something new to read... Only four?/five? years til the next George RR Martin book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished Bad Science. - love it.

picked up Persuasion - again :D

Love Austen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bitlocked

Two chapters away from finally finishing Ulysses! So that's a few months in other words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Tesco Massacre

The City & The City by China Mieville.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Finished 'Little Star' yesterday morning finshed 'Clockwork Angel' yesterday eveing and finished 'Clockwork Prince' at 1am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

I finished my latest Jasper Fforde last night so for something completely different I am taking up Road of Bones by Fergal Keane

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm a third of the way through and really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Milton Rokeach, The Three Christs of Ypsilanti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

A Universe from Nothing by Lawrence Krauss

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lochgarman512

Callsign Hades by Patrick Bury. Written by a Dublin born officer in the Royal Irish Regiment, mainly dealing with his time in Afghanistan. Excellent read

Started the michael grant series 'Gone' first book down. have to pick up the other 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

While taking a break from fantasy I've been reading Stasiland (True Stories from Behind the Berlin Wall) by Anna Funder of late. Muchly enjoyable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stasiland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Moocawn

I'm currently reading 'Dublin's Future: New Visions for Ireland's Capital City' edited by Lorcan Sirr, it details a number of topics such as: City, Politics, Theatre, Memory, Education, Energy etc. Each topic has its own chapter and is written by a different person. As a town planner I'm really enjoying it and I wouldn't say you've to be a planner etc to like it, very well referenced but very easy reading, i.e. it doesn't read like an academic paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I'm currently reading Northern Lights by Philip Pullman.

One of my favourite books.

I started reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver last night. Have a big pile of Christmas/birthday present books to get through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Just finished The Man Who Broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avey and Rob Broomby. Its good but at times the guy who its based on seemed to know the right thing to do all the time or how he was always a natural leader (repeated often) so knew what to do!

Halfway through Snowdrops by A.D. Miller, starting to see predictable how it will end. Hopefully not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

1984 for the second time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished the first book of The Hunger Games last night. Loved it. Into the second book now! They live up to the hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Am I the only person in the whole world who didn't like the Hunger games?

Haven't read it/them but I am very curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Currently working my way through the Bourne trilogy. It's taking AGES though because I bought the trilogy in one book off Amazon and the weight of the thing means I can't carry it while commuting (heck I can barely lift the thing up to read it!).

But despite it's issues I'm enjoying it, I've seen the films and was pleasantly surprised to see that the plot does differ a fair bit.
    I started reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver last night.

I really really enjoyed We Need to Talk About Kevin. I think I read it about six times, I just loved the format.

Am I the only person in the whole world who didn't like the Hunger games?

They're very very easy to read but I just find the whole concept fantastic! Great imagination from the author!

Finished the first book of The Hunger Games last night. Loved it. Into the second book now! They live up to the hype!

Catching Fire was my favourite, Mockingjay was good but the ending was disappointing, i felt it was a bit rushed. I enjoyed all 3 books and they very easy to read. Will go see the film when its released on the 23rd or March.

In my quest to find another good comedy book I picked up these in the library:

House of Holes by Nicholson Baker
    The Bottle Factory Outing by Beryl Bainbridge

My first Wodehouse, Leave it to Psmith

I started reading My Name is Mary Sutter by Robin Oliveira this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Back with Simon Scarrow ... The Eagle's Prey
    and I'm almost finished Judging Dev by Diarmaid Ferriter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Less Than Zero by Brett Easton Ellis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Finished the first Hunger Games book last nght and onto Catching Fire now. Trying to avoid all trailers or anything about the film because I don't want the images I have in my head ruined by them!! Really enjoying them, really easy to read as mentioned before and a new and fresh idea! Bought the books on a whim before Christmas and had forgotten about them until the name kept popping up on various sites. (Should be doing college work though:()

Hitchens, Letters to a Young Contrarian

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Finally started "A Dance with Dragons"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

reading the Great Gatsby. Its a bit strange but I'll stick with it

The Subtle Knife, Philip Pullman

SarahBM wrote: »
    reading the Great Gatsby. Its a bit strange but I'll stick with it

Absolutely love that book! It's one I'd pick up to read again and again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Just finished 'When God Was A Rabbit'. I'm a bit disappointed with it because I'd been hearing such great reviews.

Absolutely love that book! It's one I'd pick up to read again and again!
    This is why I was so disappointed when I read Gatsby; most people seem to rave about it, whereas I found it a bit dull when I eventually got around to reading it. Tender is the Night on the other hand - love it!

• Advertisement

This is why I was so disappointed when I read Gatsby; most people seem to rave about it, whereas I found it a bit dull when I eventually got around to reading it. Tender is the Night on the other hand - love it!

I have Tender is the Night and the Beautiful and the Damned on my bookshelves so I'm looking forward to reading them, when I have time on my hands again, whenever that will be! :)

I'm about to start One For the Money by Janet Evanovich. I want to read it before I go see the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I have just started re reading Moving Mars by Greg Bear. A change of tack to say the least from last week when I was re reading Tom Barry's famous book Guerrilla days in Ireland.

Finished the Hunger Games trilogy today. Going to start the Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy now!

eire4 wrote: »
    I have just started re reading Moving Mars by Greg Bear. A change of tack to say the least from last week when I was re reading Tom Barry's famous book Guerrilla days in Ireland.

Great book (Tom Barry one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

The Hungry Years by William Leith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Great book (Tom Barry one)

I agree I had read it before about 10 years or so ago and really enjoyed it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 bain_triail_as

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    I just started Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut this afternoon.

Man without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The Subtle Knife, Philip Pullman

Me too. I've enjoyed the trilogy so far, but there's something that I can't put my finger on that has stopped me from really loving it so far. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't see myself repeating them in the future.

Me too. I've enjoyed the trilogy so far, but there's something that I can't put my finger on that has stopped me from really loving it so far. I'm not sure what it is, but I can't see myself repeating them in the future.
    I'm kind of the same. I think it's because for so long I've always been hearing how wonderful this trilogy is, so it's been built-up before I even read it as being really amazing. I do like it, but I don't quite love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I'm almost finished Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Did it for my Leaving Cert many years ago and liked it then so when my daughter bought it recently I asked to borrow it when she finished it. Second time around I'm enjoying it from a totally different perspective. When I was a teenager I was in love with Heathcliffe and really wanted Cathy to be with him. Now I pity him and feel he was a sad and lonely man. It's amazing what the passage of time does to your opinions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement