Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

House of Holes by Nicholson Baker

Pure, unadulterated filth!! :eek: :D

Next up: Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm just about to start A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

The Forgotten Waltz by Anne Enright

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Miguel_Angel

I started last night "1Q84", since I love Murakami's books, this one seems to be the easiest one among them all (in order to read it, of course).

It's really good and it's a very good initation book to enter Murakami's world.

Cheers!.

Corrections in grammar are really welcome!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finshed the Great Gatsby. dont know what all the hype is about. I thought it was crap.

no idea what to read next.

suggestions. something exciting. and not overly complicated.

SarahBm
    The Great Gatsby is fantastic :).

I would recommend you read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, if you haven't read it already.

Cheers!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Don Booker

Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72
    Hunter S. Thompson

Not quite as vile as the current campaign, but you would miss Hunt about the place.

SarahBm
    The Great Gatsby is fantastic :).

I would recommend you read The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster, if you haven't read it already.

Cheers!.

If the New York Trilogy is anything like the Great Gatsby I dont think I would like it. What did you like about it? I thought it was very boring. not much happens really. I found the characters very superficial and didnt like any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭snoreborewhore

Has anyone else read "How to be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran? Absolutely phenomenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Has anyone else read "How to be a Woman" by Caitlin Moran? Absolutely phenomenal!

Yeah, I just loved it. It's the first book in a long time where I laughed out loud literally, and she articulated a lot of what I feel about feminism but hadn't been able to say.

Yea, I enjoyed it but I certainly would not say 'Absolutely phenomenal' .. out of 10 I would probably give it a 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

SarahBM wrote: »
    If the New York Trilogy is anything like the Great Gatsby I dont think I would like it. What did you like about it? I thought it was very boring. not much happens really. I found the characters very superficial and didnt like any of them.

I don't think you'll like the New York Trilogy Sarah. It's a hard read, for me anyway, I find Auster a bit dense.

If you're gonna be there next monday, I'll bring you a surprise book, since I see from your post you're looking for something to read next.

I don't think you'll like the New York Trilogy Sarah. It's a hard read, for me anyway, I find Auster a bit dense.

If you're gonna be there next monday, I'll bring you a surprise book, since I see from your post you're looking for something to read next.

Your grand, Im starting the Master of Margarita - recommended by some of the girls at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

SarahBM wrote: »
    Your grand, Im starting the Master of Margarita - recommended by some of the girls at work.

Right, never heard of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Solar by Ian McEwan

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

A Land of Two Halves by Joe Bennett. Combines two of my loves: travel & New Zealand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Alan Partridge's autobiography....AHA!

The only best autobiography i've ever read!

Oh and coincidentally Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Just finished Umberto Eco's The Prague Cemetery -now there's time I'm never getting back :p.
    I found it tough going to be honest and it assumes the reader already knows about The Protocols of the Elders of Zion and The Dreyfus Affair - which I did but then I am a historian.
    I could be kind and say it was a translation issue but I abandoned reading Eco's Baudolino when it came out - even though I have an understanding of Medieval 'geography myths' I found that work disjointed, over complicated and badly written (translated?) too - characteristics I feel The Prague Cemetery shares.

• Advertisement

SarahBm
    Well, what I do love most of The Great Gatsby is how the author tells the story and how he writes about that world full of glitter and envies.
    The main character is rather incredible too, how he is looking for what he is looking for, how he has to manage with the society is involved wherein..

There are a lot of things I like in that book.

By the way, Paul Auster is not as dense as Tim states, in fact, The New York Trilogy is his easiest novel, even though the three stories are interconnected with very tiny points.

Paul Auster's style is that kind of style called "Realismo Magico" in Spanish (I suppose you can call it "Magic Realism" in English :D) and it comes from Gabriel Garcia Marquez and his book Cien Años de Soledad (100 years of solitude), and I have to say that that book is dense (and thick) not Paul Auster's The New York Trilogy.

In fact, if I can read any book in English (even Shakespeare) you can do it!.

However, if you can tell us your favourite books (I've missed some pages of this thread) I can recommend you something interesting :).

Cheers!.

Corrections in grammar are welcomed!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Half way into Simon Scarrow's 'The Eagle's Prophecy' ... really good

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

One of my favourite books.

I started reading We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver last night. Have a big pile of Christmas/birthday present books to get through.

We need to talk about Kevin is a great book!

Finished water for elephants .... I really did not enjoy it as much as i had hoped :( But LOVED The Girl Who Played With Fire !

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Conzea

The 2nd of Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy. C'mon confederates!

Just a suggestion for people looking for summit good. The Deptford Trilogy by Robertson Davies.
    The man is God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Amber Spyglass, Philip Pullman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The Prestige by Christopher Priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

We need to talk about Kevin is a great book!

Yeah I loved it, thought it was excellent. I must give the film a watch now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Even if you dont like fantasy books I would recommend Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy to anyone who likes an action packed story with dodgy but interesting characters and twists you will never see coming... Im reading this series of books for the second time and Id forgotten how good it was!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

lestat21 wrote: »
    Even if you dont like fantasy books I would recommend Joe Abercrombies First Law trilogy to anyone who likes an action packed story with dodgy but interesting characters and twists you will never see coming... Im reading this series of books for the second time and Id forgotten how good it was!!

+1

Great trilogy and very very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

I am getting towards the end of Greg Bears Moving Mars. A little bit slow moving at times. But overall I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 de Faoite_girl

Just finished And then there were none by Agatha Christie (loved it). Now starting Roseanne by Sjöwall and Wahlöö.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Just finished reading City of Bohane by Kevin Barry & God Is Not Great by Hitchins.

Very different books but both fantastic & highly recommended!

Malcolm Gladwell's What the Dog Saw is next on the list.

On the Road, 1984 & Uncle Tom's Cabin on the way in the post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Wilkie Collins, The Woman in White

Yeah I loved it, thought it was excellent. I must give the film a watch now.

RE We Need to Talk About Kevin: I started that book after being recommended it by a friend but I got about a third of the way in and I had to put it down. I just thought it was rubbish.
    Considering how so many people think its great, I might give it another go (or go watch the film :D)

I need to get cracking and read the pile of books in my press. Started the Master and Margarita and Im liking it so far.

I'm reading The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Dracula....need i say who wrote it? Really really enjoying it....tried it years and years ago and didn't take to it at all. Perhaps a little age and maturity has helped I really don't now but its a top notch novel. :)

Rereading Great Expectations in honour of the great man's bicentenary .... reading it as an adult is like a reading a totally new book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just started Notes from the Underground by Dostoyevsky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Just started Julian Barnes's "The Sense of an Ending". So far it's fantastic; definitely one to be re-read.

Last night, I finished "Notes from a Turkish Whorehouse" by Philip O Ceallaigh. Wow, what an amazing series of short stories. I'd definitely recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

grizzcol2 wrote: »
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy by John Le Carre

How did you get on with that? I started it but gave up after about 100 pages. Is it worth persevering with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    Just started Julian Barnes's "The Sense of an Ending". So far it's fantastic; definitely one to be re-read.

Loved The Sense of an Ending thought it was beautifully written. I will probably reread it in the not too distant future, the ending kind of sneaks up on you.

Started The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst. It's stunningly written, I'm so impressed with his turn of phrase. It's a bit of a nod to the good ole days of English literature, which is good in that it invokes some excellent use of language, but it's annoying sometimes as I can't help but shake the feeling that the author is more in love with the old English masters than the characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Read the three Hunger Games book in three days :o Really enjoyed them but was a little disappointed with the ending. I'm not sure why but I was expecting more....

Also reading 'Holes' by Louis Sachaar with my class at school - great book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Reading 'The Hunger Games' on my new Kindle (trying to fit in everywhere that I have a new Kindle, lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Dont know what to read, got loads of ebooks to get through... Ive never read the lord of the rings, dont think its really me, but i think i will start there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Dont know what to read, got loads of ebooks to get through... Ive never read the lord of the rings, dont think its really me, but i think i will start there...

You are in for a treat! They are fantastic!

I'm reading Two For the Dough by Janet Evanovich and The Shakespeare Secret by J.L. Carrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What did you think of it? I think that the movie blows the book out of the water.

I'm currently reading Mark Z Danielowski'd Only Revolutions. It's my second time reading it and I'm still not entirely sure what's going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

kylith wrote: »
    What did you think of it? I think that the movie blows the book out of the water..

I'm not even half way through it yet :o Damn college is taking up ask my reading time :(

I'm really enjoying it so far though. Haven't seen the movie though so I can't comment on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

I am almost done with Finbarr's Hotel. It is the second time I have read it and I must say it is a great read. Sometimes books like this don't work with a different Irish author writing each chapter but this one works briliantly.

• Advertisement

Read the Hobbit first. :D

Advertisement