Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

SarahBM wrote: »
    Read the Hobbit first. :D

I would agree with that. Defintely read the Hobbit first. Personally I loved the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. But for someone not sure about them the Hobbit is a good light introduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

eire4 wrote: »
    I would agree with that. Defintely read the Hobbit first. Personally I loved the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings books. But for someone not sure about them the Hobbit is a good light introduction.

I read LOTR before the Hobbit and when I went back and read the Hobbit I loved it. :)
    its brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Will do, just got that, as a quickie i read 'saving max'.

An autistic boy who is accused of murder in a psychiatric hospital. I enjoyed it, not something i would normally read, but got it for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Just finishe Andre Gide's satire on religion/class "The Vatican Cellars", gone back to try and finish Kavanagh's "The Green Fool" which I put aside last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

It's Fine by Me by Per Petterson .. got it in my Xmas purchases but only getting to it now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Reading a few books concurrently:

"The Case for Working with Your Hands or Why Office Work is Bad for Us and Fixing Things Feels Good" by Matthew Crawford - About 50-odd pages in it's okay but I'm not sure that the argument couldn't be summarised in a paragraph or, at most, an article.

"Alan Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - Really tedious but I suppose it's not meant to be entertaining ;)

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro - So far, it's great. I'm really enjoying it. I'm delighted that I didn't watch the film with that horrible Knightley woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just finished White Fang. Fan-frickin'-tastic. The imagery in the opening was absolutely amazing. I've purchased all of London's other work as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Jamrach's Menagarie by Carol Birch.

Knees Up Mother Earth by Robert Rankin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I first read this about 6 or 7 years ago & am enjoying it just as much second time around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Grotesque" Natsuo Kirino

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I first read this about 6 or 7 years ago & am enjoying it just as much second time around.

Great book. Loved it myself and it's definitely worth a couple of reads.

I just finished Foucault's Pendulum and now I'm starting Fated by S.G. Browne. It's billed as a comedy so fingers crossed it lives up to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 GrauballeMan

I also really enjoyed The Sense of an Ending and agree that it's one for re-reading. There's an art in getting big, huge ideas into readable, Booker-judge-pleasing language.

Snowdrops by AD Miller is a super book, with Moscow in the grim starring role and I've also just finished The Great Gatsby. With more than any book I've read for a long time, I found myself blown away by the use of language, stopping over and over to admire Fitzgerald's beautiful phrasing. Writers don't write like that anymore.

Just about to launch into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close for our book club.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Really enjoying it. Published 80 years ago and remarkably relevant today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Finished The Amber Spyglass over the weekend, which brings me to the end of His Dark Materials. Having read the three books I have to say I don't see the big attraction to the series; too many plot contrivances and just something about his writing style that I wasn't crazy about.

For a change of pace I've started Stephen King's Misery, which I've never read.

A Tale of Two Citites by Charles Dickens

Finished The Amber Spyglass over the weekend, which brings me to the end of His Dark Materials. Having read the three books I have to say I don't see the big attraction to the series; too many plot contrivances and just something about his writing style that I wasn't crazy about.
    I've just finished them too; they're okay. The moral-filled ending irked me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

the sisters brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I do recall leave a somewhat scathing review of Shantaramright after finishing it. I have to say though, it's been playing on my mind ever since and I catch myself thinking about the book alot.

Although I didnt like the authors pseudo psycho-analysis/ soul searching babble, I have come to appreciate it as just a really great adventure story and I must admit I'm finding it hard to read anything that matches it!

Half way through LOTR, on my quest for another great story teller!

on my quest for another great story teller!

Try Papillion by Henri Charriere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

His Dark Materials improves immensely on re-reading.

Just finished "The God of Small Things". Very enjoyable, although Roy has a very distinctive prose style which I'm not looking forward to deconstructing (it was for my Lit course).

Went out at lunchtime and bought The Hunger Games trilogy, Skippy Dies and Gone. New books, yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jay phelan

I've been reading a lot of Oscar Wilde's plays and poetry. I got his complete works off Amazon for cheap. It's really good stuff.

Just started Before I Go To Sleep by S J Watson

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

I recently started reading again for the first time in over 5 years after picking up Friday Night Lights. Been reading The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo the past few days, took a while to get into but now I'm hooked.
    Can't figure out why I didn't read so much the past few year but at the same time I have an AMOUNT of great books still left to tuck into.

I am currently re reading Tread Softly On My Dreams by Gretta Curran Browne. It is a historical fiction work based on the life of Robert Emmet. I am enjoying it a lot. Definitely well worth a read for anyone who likes historical fiction as I most definitely do.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I've started Cassandra Clare's other (spin-off) series "The Infernal Devices".
    Love them quite a lot!
    The universe is really cool and reading about other Shadowhunters in a completely different time is really interesting. Also I love Magnus as a character and Will is just too cool, hehe.

Reading 'The Woman in Black' by Susan Hill ... it's only 200 pages so shouldn't take long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Dibble wrote: »
    I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Really enjoying it. Published 80 years ago and remarkably relevant today.

Probably my favorite book of all time!

This weekend I read "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence, which was brilliant but too short and "The Running Man" by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman), which was also fantastic. I had read a few Stephen King books when I was younger, but I was not too impressed so I never bothered going back to him, although The Running Man might make me re-think that. I normally get through a book a week, so it says alot about the first two that I am on my third in three days :)

I just started "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" by Michael Chabon, it's an alternate history detective story, I'm finding it a little hard to get into to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 oolon colluphid

oeb wrote: »
    Probably my favorite book of all time!

This weekend I read "Prince of Thorns" by Mark Lawrence, which was brilliant but too short and "The Running Man" by Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman), which was also fantastic. I had read a few Stephen King books when I was younger, but I was not too impressed so I never bothered going back to him, although The Running Man might make me re-think that. I normally get through a book a week, so it says alot about the first two that I am on my third in three days :)

I just started "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" by Michael Chabon, it's an alternate history detective story, I'm finding it a little hard to get into to be honest.

Of course Prince of Thorns is half as long again as Brave New World which in turn is longer than The Running Man.

Finished The Woman in Black ... I read a hell of a lot scarier books :confused:

Starting The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt today

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Callan57 wrote: »
    Finished The Woman in Black ... I read a hell of a lot scarier books :confused:

Starting The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt today

Finished the sisters brothers last week and thought it was excellent...

Now onto 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada and going very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'm nearing the end of The Sisters Brothers, really enjoying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Just after starting 'The Turn of the Screw' by Henry James.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

T954 wrote: »
    Finished the sisters brothers last week and thought it was excellent...

Now onto 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada and going very well.

Loved Alone in Berlin - it's a fantastic book.

Just started Wolf Hall, and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Just starting The Summer of the Bear by Bella Pollen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Read The Hunger Games trilogy during the week, started "Skippy Dies" last night.

I enjoyed "Wolf Hall", although Mantel uses a very irritating narrative device throughout the book. I won't say what it is, or it'll annoy you even more, but I'll be interested to hear whether you notice it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Read The Hunger Games trilogy during the week, started "Skippy Dies" last night.

I enjoyed "Wolf Hall", although Mantel uses a very irritating narrative device throughout the book. I won't say what it is, or it'll annoy you even more, but I'll be interested to hear whether you notice it yourself.

Yes I noticed it...it's very annoying. I didn't really enjoy the novel because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

JOHN GILES

A Football Man.

A wonderful read from one of the greatest players ever
    to put on The Republic jersey.

:cool:

• Advertisement

JOHN GILES

A Football Man.

A wonderful read from one of the greatest players ever
    to put on The Republic jersey.

I haven't read that one yet. I will have to track it down and read it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

The Forgotton Waltz by Anne Enright. I'm about a third of the way through it and enjoyng it so far. I like her pared back style of prose. It's quite stark but she manages to convey a lot with just a few words.

Just starting White Fang by Jack London

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Just started a Clergymans Daughter by George Orwell, his 2nd novel. I'm finding it very hard to get into. Apparently Orwell hated the book and refused to let it be republished during his lifetime. From what I have read so far I'm not suprised, it just isn't very well written. It reads very much like an author in the early days of his career, which he was I suppose!

'The Wedding Gift' by Marlen Suyapa Bodden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

We Were Young And Carefree by Laurent Fignon.

On Beauty by Zadie Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

JOHN GILES

A Football Man.

A wonderful recollection from one of the greatest
    footballers ever to play for and manage THE REPUBLIC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

11.22.63 by Stephen King
    Four to Score by Janet Evanovich

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭WoundedRhino

I'm on a Chuck Palahniuk kick at the moment, recently read Survivor and Invisible Monsters, just started Fight Club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement