Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WickedWest

Of Mice and Men, John Steinbeck

How's that going? I find Steinbeck to be incredibly dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting Daydream Girl by Bella Pollen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Just finished Jo Nesbo's Phantom - really enjoyed it, had been waiting for it to come out and I'm a huge Nesbo fan so it was great!

Hunger Games trilogy is in the Post Office waiting for me, hope it lives up to the hype!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

A Storm of Swords, George R.R. Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sleazy Rider

Just finished A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry, which has easily made it into my all time top ten.

Currently reading World War Z by Max Brooks which is OK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafón this morning, really enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Mahna Mahna

Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse then hopefully onto Life by Keith Richards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Just finished A Long Long Way by Sebastian Barry, which has easily made it into my all time top ten
    Just bought it on the back of your post :)

• Advertisement

Starting The Paris Wife by Paula McLain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Litigators

Usual top class from John Grisham

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Steve Jobs' Autobiography. Very interesting.

The Wasp Factory - lain Banks

Only read the first third, can someone please tell me if it's worth going on because so far it's pretty crap tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Only read the first third, can someone please tell me if it's worth going on because so far it's pretty crap tbh.

A very good book imo - a little disturbing mind you!

Finished The Paris Wife by Paula McLain ..... a great read & highly recommended for anyone interested in Ernest Hemingway & his writings. Really loved it.

Now I need a short story fix so I'm starting Field Study by Rachel Seffert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Callan57 wrote: »

Now I need a short story fix so I'm starting Field Study by Rachel Seffert

Just finished Landed by Tim Pears - excellent stuff, and just starting Robin Black's If I loved you I would tell you this: also in need of a short fiction fix!

Callan, interested to see what you think of Field study, I remember finding it v disappointing after the excellent Dark Room but it was a long long time ago now that I read it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just finished The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie. Can't say I've read anything like it before. It's quite a heavy read but definitely worth it. He does some very clever things with language that often cracked a smile.

Will probably devour the copy of Philip Pullman's, Once upon a time in the North, I managed to track down before moving onto something else with more meat.

Don't know if you've gone any further with this book. I was completely underwhelmed by it. Didn't find it at all disturbing either. I'd still say continue on with it and see what you think but it did nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finally finished the Master and Margarita last night. Weirdest book I ever read. Didn't really like it. Started the Missing by Jane Cassidy.

• Advertisement

Just finished Landed by Tim Pears - excellent stuff, and just starting Robin Black's If I loved you I would tell you this: also in need of a short fiction fix!

Callan, interested to see what you think of Field study, I remember finding it v disappointing after the excellent Dark Room but it was a long long time ago now that I read it.

Almost finished Field Study and really liked it .... especially Dimitroff & The Late Spring ... also The Crossing I thought was beautifully observed.
    Agree with you The Dark Room was brilliant but different genre so you can't really compare. Also her Afterwards was a good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Finished legend by Marie Lu and also read fallen, torment and fallen.

Getting insurgent first thing tomorrow.

Squ wrote: »
    Just bought it on the back of your post :)

Hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Snako wrote: »
    Just started Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman, Asweh, It's bo-styles

How are you getting on with it? I thought that was an amazing, amazing novel. I enjoyed it a lot more than Barnes's Booker Prize winner.

However, I wonder if "Pigeon English" has made such an impression on me because it's set in the kind of place I live in London. I'd be interested to hear your opinion of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Hope you enjoy it.

Wipping through it, very hard to put down. It's one of those reads, where I'm looking at the amount of pages left and sorry there's not more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just finished the Master and Margarita recently as well. Found it quirky but original and enjoyable.
    SarahBM wrote: »
    Finally finished the Master and Margarita last night. Weirdest book I ever read. Didn't really like it. Started the Missing by Jane Cassidy.

Squ wrote: »
    Wipping through it, very hard to put down. It's one of those reads, where I'm looking at the amount of pages left and sorry there's not more!

Yeah I was exactly like that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Just finished Fight Club today. Excellent read and brilliantly written, but the film followed it so closely it took away from my enjoyment of the book having seen the film first.

Also finished Steven Erikson's 'Crippled God' earlier on in the week. Finally after ten confusing yet brilliant books, I finished the saga. For anyone struggling to get through the earlier books, keep going they're definitely worth it!

Starting 'Drive' tonight. Haven't seen the film so can't wait to sink my teeth into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I'm still reading Birdsong and my god I am struggling.

I think the fact that it seems like a love story has really put me off. I'm not big into romance novels and it is moving painfully slow.

Anyone read it and thought it was amazing? I'm reluctant to give up but I don't actually look forward to reading it, I have to force myself to pick it back up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm now reading Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Battle Royale by Koushan Takami

I think the fact that it seems like a love story has really put me off. I'm not big into romance novels and it is moving painfully slow.

Anyone read it and thought it was amazing? I'm reluctant to give up but I don't actually look forward to reading it, I have to force myself to pick it back up again.

I loved it. Each to their own though I suppose.

Read it & loved it .... I love all his books with the exception of Engleby which I finished but didn't really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

I've just gotten to the war part so hoping it'll pick up a bit. I'm going to stick with it hate giving up on a book :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

In the last couple of days I've read, passion, torment, fallen and yesterday I read insurgen.

• Advertisement

The Hobbit - J.R.R Tolkien

I've been meaning to read it for a while now, but it being a children's fantasy novel and me not being a child or particularly interested in fantasy novels, I've put it off.

It's not too bad so far though, I'm only a couple of chapters in.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I have a pile of new books to be read but I've started re-reading my favourite book, 1984, first. Loving it just as much as the first time I read it :)

Reading The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde ..... I need a laugh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams. Good and funny so far, of course.

Today I am going to start Various Pets Alive and Dead by Marina Lewycka .... she wrote A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian which I absolutely loved so really looking forward to Various Pets :)

• Advertisement

A Night to Remember, Walter Lord

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

finished The Missing, good read. First time in a long time I read a book in the space of a couple of days. going to start the Tree of Season by Stephen Gately.

didnt start the above book because I went into Chapters after work and bought books and now cannot decide what to read.
    Im reading Persuasion again while I try to decide. :)

Up and Down Stairs: The History of the Country House Servant by Jeremy Musson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Majesticzebras

Tiny Sunbirds Far Away by Christie Watson
    Also Defending Jacob by William Landy

Happy bunny:D

Finished off Various Pets Alive & Dead last night .... enjoyable read but IMO the ending is a bit too contrived.

Today I start Curse of the Spellmans by Lisa Lutz :)

Finished Pride and Prejudice and now I'm starting on the Flashman series of books which I hear are excellent. I have them all on my Kindle so not sure if I'll read them all on one go or break them up with other books but I'll see how I go.

Loved Pride and Prejudice btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Loved Pride and Prejudice btw

Great book, but I actually prefer 'Emma'. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've just finished Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, which I loved. It's a focused, witty and acutely observational book, but that's not why I loved it. I loved it for the characters. It took me a while to realise why, but there was a major plot development near the end that left me genuinely upset. Upset about the consequences it would have for everyone involved. Their reactions and responses would be crystal clear, and I felt genuinely sorry for them, which to me is a rare reaction to fictional creations. The Berglunds and their friends are such beautifully drawn individuals that I just loved every minute I spent reading about their joy, their sadness, their decisions, their mistakes, their victories. It's all there in the title, because this is a book about people with the freedom to decide the path they take in life, and all the consequences those decisions will have. And it makes for hypnotic reading. A truly great novel.

Great book, but I actually prefer 'Emma'. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do! :)

I will stick it on my list. Thanks

Emma's okay, but Persuasion is definitely Austen's next best after P&P. In fact it's as good as P&P, I sometimes think... which is saying a lot coming from me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement