Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Love Persuasion. Finally getting around to Slaughterhouse 5. Vonnegut's voice is thrilling in its directness. So quietly beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Emma's okay, but Persuasion is definitely Austen's next best after P&P. In fact it's as good as P&P, I sometimes think... which is saying a lot coming from me :)

I haven't got around to Persuasion yet although I think I do have it lying around somewhere! Must add it to my evergrowing list of 'must read next' books! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Atlas Shrugged - Ayn Rand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

I finished re reading Jack Charlton's American World Cup Diary last night which brought back some fond memories. Then on a completely different tack I have started to re read Greg Bear's Eon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

When Will There Be Good News by Kate Atkinson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Reading Stephen King's It at the moment, and utterly captivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Bullrush

Death in the Sun by Adam Creed. Not great. Wouldn't read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I haven't got around to Persuasion yet although I think I do have it lying around somewhere! Must add it to my evergrowing list of 'must read next' books! :)

Im actually re-reading Persuasion again at the moment. I love it. It's my favourite Austen book followed by Pride and Prejudice, followed by Sense and Sensibility. I love Austen.
    Going to read Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James next. Supposed to be good, lets hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm re-reading The Cold Six Thousand by James Ellroy, the second part of his Underworld trilogy.

It's not as good as the first part but it's still got me hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

About to start on The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Finished Chamber Music by James Joyce today, nice little book of poems and would suit a Joyce fan.

Finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and was surprised at how much I liked about it. Finally a main character that's likable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I just started the Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm not finding it easy to get into, but will hopefully get into it soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Powering through Let the Right One In. Loving the gore.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway. I read this book years ago, but am enjoying it more the second time around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Dibble wrote: »
    The Old Man and the Sea by Hemmingway. I read this book years ago, but am enjoying it more the second time around.

I read that last year or the year before and I hated it. I just found it so monotonous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 MedGirl17

The leaving cert is forcing me to reread 'Wuthering Heights' once again, but I'm looking forward to 'The Age of Innocence' by Edith Wharton come the 19th of June!

Well into "The Spellmans Strike Again" by Lisa Lutz ..... I just loving these funny, witty and weird books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished Death Comes to Pemberley by PD James. Couldnt put it down! I loved it!
    Its a must for Jane Austen fans.
    I have another crap book on the go but think I might drop it for Lord of the Flies. My brother read it in school and I have heard a lot of people say it was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Of Human Bondage. I was expecting it to be more difficult and weighty. A surprisingly light read, if not dominated by a fairly irritating, stupid and immature main character (which is, I suppose, kind of the point).

• Advertisement

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I just started the Picture of Dorian Gray. I'm not finding it easy to get into, but will hopefully get into it soon.

This year I have been reading lots of Oscar Wilde's work. I might give this one another read.

Starting the Wind in the Willows.

Finished The Spellmans Strike Again :D:D

Now for something totally different I'm starting We The Living by Ayn Rand have been meaning to read this for a long time & finally I'm getting around to it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

I'm reading The Secret History at the moment. It's fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Back from holidays, bumper readathon. The popes by John Juliud Norwich, Red heat by Alex Von Tunzelmann, Rabbit at Rest by John Updike, Snowdrops by AD Miller & the Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach.

Not sure what I'll get started this evening

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Logicomix" - graphic novel about Bertand Russell, mathematics and logic. Not as dry as it sounds :)

Stared Agnes Grey by Ann Bronte

My first book from this Bronte sister, really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

I'm reading Deadlocked by Charlaine Harris and White Orleander by Janet Fitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Ive started bear grylls, mud, sweat and tears, loving it.

also have the exicutioner to read by chris carter.

Strindberg's Miss Julie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Have just finished "The Sisters Brothers" and would highly recommend it. It's an excellent novel.

Am about half way through Colm Toibin's "Brooklyn". It's fantastic; certainly one of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Lector

I've just finished "City of Bohane" and I enjoyed it a lot. It's hard to describe but great fun to read - think Flann O'Brien doing "Gangs of New York" in a sort of post-apocalyptic city full of skangers and thugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, enjoying it so far.

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides, enjoying it so far.

My favourite ever book :)

Contact by Carl Sagan.

There's no doubting the man's genius but my god he can really waffle on at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Contact by Carl Sagan.

There's no doubting the man's genius but my god he can really waffle on at times.

He does actually. Enjoyed that book but found the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

The Berlin Crossing by Kevin Brophy

I'm only around 60 pages into this but finding his writing style absolutely beautiful. Well worth checking out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just about to finish The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell

Remainder by Tom McCarthy is next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Catch-22.

I'm almost ashamed that it's taken me so long...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentleman, Laurence Sterne.

Read this recently. Brilliant book. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did

Just about to finish The Man from Beijing by Henning Mankell

Remainder by Tom McCarthy is next

You've spelt existence wrong in your sig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Ulysses.
    I've to read it for college. I wasn't looking forward to it given it's notorious reputation as a difficult book to read. So far, I'm enjoying it.

girlonfire wrote: »
    Ulysses.
    I've to read it for college. I wasn't looking forward to it given it's notorious reputation as a difficult book to read. So far, I'm enjoying it.

Finished it earlier this year ... not as difficult as it's reputation suggests.

Going to give Bleak House a go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

girlonfire wrote: »
    Ulysses.

This is top of my list for the summer. I've read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and loved it so I have high hopes for Ulysses.

I'm reading 'God and the State' by Mikhail Bakunin, mainly out of curiosity. So far it's either a dreadfully translated version of a decent book or a dreadfully written book made even worse by the translation. It drops off mid thought, leaves sentences hanging and jumps around quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    Going to give Bleak House a go :)
    One of my utmost favourites! Hope you love it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Just starting "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Taking a break from the Flashman series to read Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

The Spy who Came in from the Cold

• Registered Users Posts: 2 UnderMyThumb

Ocean sea by Alessandro Baricco. It's brilliant.

• Advertisement
Advertisement