Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just finished The Great Gatsby which was absolutely brilliant and have just bought Fifty Shades of Grey for my Kindle because I want to see how durty it actually is what the hype is about. Let's call it a blip in my otherwise impressive reading collection :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Animal Farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Half way through "The Wood Cutter" by Reginald Hill. Excellent crime mystery, loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭x_Ellie_x

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Grievous

x_Ellie_x wrote: »
    The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Have your legs got stuck in the swamp of ostentation yet?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

On the strength of its praise from a few friends, I've started reading Alex Garland's The Beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Under the Hawthorn Tree by Ai Mi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel. Loved Wolf Hall, so I'm excited to read this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just finished Washington Irving's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, now reading Frances Hodgson Burnett's Little Lord Fauntleroy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Living Buddha, Living Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

80% through 50 Shades of Grey and I still don't know if I actually like it! It's nothing like I ever read before and while the story is a bit meh there is something about it that keeps me reading
    no.. I don't mean the sex scenes :o
    Finding Ana a bit annoying though, like I said I'm over 80% through and I wish she would make up her mind already or
    just sign the darn contract and stop dragging it out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'm reading Fifty Shades of Grey aswell and I think it is possibly the worst, most irritating book I have ever read. Going to try and stick with it though because I hate not finishing a book. I'm not sure if I'll manage it though. Awful tripe.

Just started The Awakening by Kate Chopin

Just started The Awakening by Kate Chopin

A few years ago I got The Awakening on audiobook and listening to it read in a deep southern accent added so much to the book for me ... unfortunately I can't recall who the reader was. A beautiful book IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished last night a re read of Harlen Coban's Deal Breaker. Fun snappy dialogue which I enjoyed.

The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished Kane and Abel last night on my way home on the train. excellent read.

Going to start I am Legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭insanity50

Just finished A song of Ice and fire book three, part one snow and steel

moving onto the second part now today. would like to get the remaining books finished by end of july at the latest.

have a ton of stuff to read but this series is backlogging me big time, it's a full time job reading these books. third book is definitely the best of the lot so far though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Just finished the three books in the Fifty Shades trilogy, I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed it. They were brilliant reading for two weeks.

Currently reading A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard, it's harrowing reading, I have to keep reminding myself that it is a true story :(

• Advertisement

Started 50 Shades Darker, alright so far.

Just finished the three books in the Fifty Shades trilogy, I know it's not everyones cup of tea but I thoroughly enjoyed it. They were brilliant reading for two weeks.

I think they are the type of books that people either really like or think are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

I've just started reading Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new one - The Prisoner of Heaven. Enjoying it so far, which I expected. Loved Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Godfather by Mario Puzo.

Absolutely amazing so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Jem123

Finished 50 shades of Grey and just bought the other two. Ana is so annoying but it has me hooked! Can't wait to get home to start the next one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 Bill Shock

I've just started reading Carlos Ruiz Zafon's new one - The Prisoner of Heaven. Enjoying it so far, which I expected. Loved Shadow of the Wind and Angel's Game.

Is it a follow on from these two novels? Thought Shadow of the Wind was brilliant but the 2nd one was very predictable (although not too bad).

Bill Shock wrote: »
    Is it a follow on from these two novels? Thought Shadow of the Wind was brilliant but the 2nd one was very predictable (although not too bad).

It is indeed, so it's back to Sempere & Sons. I was looking forward to this book coming out because I really like the way Zafon writes. I'm only in a few chapters so I can't tell you yet how good it is!

Waiting for the Barbarians by J M Coetzee

• Advertisement

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭BrendanCro

The dirtiest race in history by Richard Moore - about Ben Johnson v Carl Lewis v Drugs in the 100m in Seoul 1988 Olympics.

Great so far - probably finish tonight and decide which of the 100 stron to-read pile is next!

Life - Keith Richards.

Really enjoying it so far but then again I'm probably biased anyway because I love the man! :)

Runaway by Alice Nunro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Life - Keith Richards.

Really enjoying it so far but then again I'm probably biased anyway because I love the man! :)

it's a great read. I found the opening chapters a bit ropey but once he hits the start of the Stones it takes off very nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Word Virus: The William S. Burroughs Reader

I'd read much of Burroughs as a teenager many years ago but taking a break from Berlin studies to enjoy this for old times sake. Liking the bio editorials as much as the excerpts.

• Advertisement

finished I am Legend. meh. didnt do much for me to be honest.
    Going to start The Reckoning by Jane Case. hopefully this wont take too long as I am dying to start Dr Zhivago.

Finished 50 Shades Darker.. going to take a break from the 50 shades trilogy and read Jack London's The Red One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Started reading The Blind Assassin last night.

The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo by Stieg Larsson

enjoyed a re read of another Harlen Coben book this week. This time Drop Shot with the fun snappy dialogue set in the world of professional Tennis.

• Advertisement

The Captain's Daughter by Leah Fleming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet by Jamie Ford

A beautiful love story about the Chinese and Japanese classes living in the US during WW2.
    I was shocked to learn they had Japanese concentration camps in America.

It is definitely on my re-read list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Anna Karenina by Tolstoy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

The Blackwater Lightship - Colm Toibin

I re read and finished Ken Bruen's The Killing of the Tinkers. Snappy dialogue which I like, a good noir detective novel.

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and enjoyed so think I'll read the whole trilogy. Next up The Girl who Played with Fire

I was going to read a thriller by Jane Casey but after watching the Lord of the Rings, I felt like a bit of Fantasy for a change.
    Starting the Unfinished Tales, by JRR Tolkien, edited by Christopher Tolkien.
    This could take a while. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭techsavysista

Finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and enjoyed so think I'll read the whole trilogy. Next up The Girl who Played with Fire

the girl with the dragon tattoo is next up on my list, excited, currently reading Eat, Pray, Love, anyone any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭TheEscapist

Ender's Game, recommended by a huge sci-fi fan who said its a good start for beginners in the genre. Intriguing opening and should be a quick read!

the girl with the dragon tattoo is next up on my list, excited, currently reading Eat, Pray, Love, anyone any thoughts on that?
    On Eat, Pray, Love? Greatest heap of shite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement