Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kenz01

Just started reading Hector and the Search for Happiness: Francois Lelord

Light reading after finishing Atwood's Handmaid's Tale..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Going to start The Thread by Victoria Hislop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Just began Siberian Education by Nicolai Lilin.
    Its about the life of a criminal growing up in Siberia...but the criminals here have a strict set of rules disliking material wealth.

Picked up John Ajvide Lindqvist latest Dont Let The Old Dreams Die.
    Its like a sequel to two of his books all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

OakeyDokey wrote: »
    80% through 50 Shades of Grey and I still don't know if I actually like it! [/SPOILER]

I think that probably means you don't like it :)

I've just started reading "The Village" by Nikita Lalwani. It's a really interesting novel about a BBC film crew that visits a village - an open prison for murderers and their families - in India.

Also reading some plays by Mark O'Rowe, who also wrote the film "Intermission". He's an excellent playwright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

The Art of Happiness, A handbook for living by the Dalai Lama. Quite an interestingt read actually. Am moving through it slowly as theres some pretty good stuff in there that I dont want to skim over plus it can be a little bit heavy at times.

Also read some of that 50 shades tripe. Never again. Cant understand the fascination and I am SOOO sick of all the plays on words used in articles to relate to 50 shades! In my defense I didnt buy the book, got a loan, but curiousity got the best of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

old hippy wrote: »
    Somebody has the film rights to it. When I finally finished it, I thought "how the hell will that translate to the big screen?"

Not read anything quite like it before.

I thought the same about "The Road". It's an awful film compared to the novel - totally misses the story's essence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Wild Swans by Jung Chang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

If you could see me now by Cecelia Ahern

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

We Need To Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver

I'm looking forward to starting this novel about maternal indifference, recommended by a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

The Tent, Margaret Atwood. Really enjoying it. Very witty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Just finished Mortality by Christopher Hitchens. Currently re-reading Hitch-22.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

The Eleventh Day by Anthony Summers & Robbyn Swan

The most comprehensive account of what happened that day. (9/11)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Slash's autobiography, it's really good and shocking!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭fifi234ie

The Vagrants by Yiyun Li

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Steinbeck's East of Eden, surprisingly immersing prose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Re-reading The Hobbit before tackling LOTR again.

The Gadfly by Ethel L Voynich :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Just finished "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Didnt know what to make of it at first, it has a strange style of prose. Ended up really enjoying it. Surprising page turner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach. Lotta hype but good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Still on my classic SF trip, which has so far encompassed Clarke's 2001 and Childhood's End, loads of Iain M Banks, and Asimov's complete Foundation series (all 7 books in chronological order). Now I'm tackling Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, the prequel to A Fire Upon the Deep, which is next. So far it's fairly intriguing space opera, with characters just sufficiently weird to have the reader on edge.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Just finished "The Strain" trilogy by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan. Was expecting some page-turning brain fluff, but it was actually quite dull. The characterisation was awful and some of the writing downright clunky.

That's the last time I buy an entire trilogy in one go, cause I certainly wouldn't have bothered to read the second two volumes if I hadn't already bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

^ Same here, although thankfully I didn't buy the trilogy in one go. I was severely disappointed with The Strain, I don't think I'll ever read the sequels.

I'm continuing my gorging of spy literature with the next Bond novel, Moonraker. Loving it so far, much superior to Live and Let Die which I found a little disappointing.

Eleanor of Aquitaine by Alison Weir

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Three and a Half Deaths - Emma Donoghue (short stories - excellent)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Secret History, Donna Tartt

The Secret History, Donna Tartt

Fabulous book IMO & The Little Friend an equally brilliant read :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    Fabulous book IMO & The Little Friend an equally brilliant read :)
    Yep, I'd heard some very complimentary things about both of those which is why I decided to pick it up. Am currently only 20 pages in however, so too early to give a verdict!

• Advertisement

After some heavy history, I feel like something less challenging so it's The Monster in the Box by Ruth Rendell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

After just about finishing Cloud Atlas which I hated, am quarter of the way through Les Miserablés by Victor Hugo - absolutely loving it... already one of my favourite books of all time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

finished The Reckoning. Going to read the Tree of Seasons by Stephen Gately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Just finished Animal Farm by Orwell.

I think I'm going to try and tackle War and Peace by Tolstoy next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Hope O_o

I haven't the concentration for heavy reads these days.

I'm halfway through Echoes by Maeve Binchy - its entirely lovely :)

Starting Affinity by Sarah Waters today :)

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Starting Affinity by Sarah Waters today :)
    Not quite as great as Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet, but I'd rate it a decent enough third. Enjoy! Interested to hear how you find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 377 ✭✭libra02

Just finished A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. First book in the All Souls Trilogy

Very enjoyable and nothing like Twilight despite the comparions on the back of book from a Sunday paper review.

Looking forward to starting the next installment Shadow of Night.

Not quite as great as Fingersmith and Tipping the Velvet, but I'd rate it a decent enough third. Enjoy! Interested to hear how you find it.

I loved Fingersmith, The Little Stranger & The Night Watch ... wasn't that mad about Tipping the Velvet though.
    I'm liking Affinity so far but only 30 or so pages into it. :)

Interestingly, The Little Stranger and The Night Watch are the two I was least fond of. I seem to much prefer her Victorian-era novels.

I liked Tipping the Velvet but I love Fingersmith. It's one of my absolute favourite books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I just finished a re read of Volume 1 of the Collected Works of James Connolly. Given the state of Ireland economically today while some of his analysis is obviously dated much of it is still very relevant and makes for great reading and interesting thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. His writing style is so damn infectious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. His writing style is so damn infectious.

I re-read Neverwhere a couple of weeks ago. Gaiman never fails to please.

I'm currently reading Jo Walton's 'Among Others' (which just won the Hugo for best novel), and I'm also dipping in and out of some Italo Calvino short stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 shopaholic86

I'm just after finishing Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult - her books are always amazing, can never put them down. Currently re-reading Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy for about the 4th time - really love that book. :)

The Shadow Lines by Amitav Ghosh

Re-reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. You'd think I'd be reading brain fluff, considering I had to deconstruct that book to death for college last year, and will be receiving my Lit reading list for this year at some stage this week. Clearly a glutton for punishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Re-reading "The God of Small Things" by Arundhati Roy. You'd think I'd be reading brain fluff, considering I had to deconstruct that book to death for college last year, and will be receiving my Lit reading list for this year at some stage this week. Clearly a glutton for punishment.
    Great book though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished The Tree of Seasons. I loved it! Thoroughly enjoyable!

Now back to Dr. Zhivago. I am determined to read this because I enjoyed the film so much.

I think I'll read the Lord of the Flies next. Its on so many lists of books you should read etc.

Great book though!

Agreed. I suspect it's one I'll keep coming back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

The Forsaken by Tim Tzouliadis.

Its a book about the thousands of Americans who emigrated to Russia during the great depression (yep you read that right).

This was at a time when the Communist state was still viewed in a positive light in the USA. Most of those who went fell foul to the Great Terror.

Interesting stuff so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird. For some reason I'd never read it before. A really delightful book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement