Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Currently reading No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Interesting style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Currently reading No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy. Interesting style.

His writing style actually reminds me of Roddy Doyle's, only without the humour, obviously.

Finally finished "Mrs. Dalloway" last week. Now let us never speak of it again...

"Grapes of Wrath", here I come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Reading Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut. Like it a lot so far.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'll be starting Terry Pratchett's 'Dodger' shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just finished Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay which was alright, if a little disappointing. Started on Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell last night and have finished half of it, really engaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Just finished reading Tess of the D'Urbervilles. Very disappointed with the ending. Totally enjoyed it up until the last 2 chapters.

Going to start Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell. Havent read one of her books in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Finshed a re read of John Connolly's second novel Dark Hollow. What a great follow up to his great debut novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Starting ..... This Blinding Absence of Light by Tahar Ben Jelloun

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

Just starting .... The Wrong Kind of Blood by Declan Hughes

The Nightmare by Lars Kepler

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Hitler: A Study in Tyranny, by Alan Bulloch....... Old, but brilliant

Finished The Awakening by Kate Chopin the other day.

And I am now half way through Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, which I'm really enjoying.

Going through books at the speed of light these days.

Finished a re read of John Connolly's The Killing Kind last night. Another action packed and enjoyable read from the Dubliner.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Reading 'Dark Lies the Island' by Kevin Barry as well as 'Dodger' by Terry Pratchett.

Reading two as Dodger is hardback and too heavy to carry on the bus to work!

Finished Lars Kepler's The Nightmare and now I'm moving on to The Misunderstanding by Iréne Némirovsky :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Wuthering heights, its been on my bookshelf for ages. After that its the master and the margherita.

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Wuthering heights, its been on my bookshelf for ages. After that its the master and the margherita.

The Master and Margarita is a brilliant book.

I'm currently reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin, often described as the first dystopian novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I'm getting through some real classics lately. Nineteen Eighty Four and now I'm reading Crime and Punishment. The former was much easier to get through but both very enjoyable.

Starting The Testament of Mary by Colm Tóibín

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Finished 2666 yesterday. Wonderful, exhausting, terrifying, beautiful, funny and upsetting - is this five part epic a genuine masterwork? From its witty, almost lighthearted opening segment about the complex relationship that forms between four literature academics, to the fourth which features almost three hundred pages of unrelenting murder, despair and violence, we're led through a huge spectrum of emotion. Although Bolano's outlook on the contemporary word - personified through his vivid realisation of the the Mexican city of Santa Teresa (a fictionalised version of Ciudad Juárez) - is inherently bleak and pessimistic, there is a deep and frequently moving sense of humanity at the core of the novel that keeps you hooked. It's a self-reflective work at times, occasionally referencing the sheer bulk and ambition of the great novelists, but hardly arrogant. Section two, perhaps, feels a little thin compared to others - possibly explained by the fact Bolano rushed its completion as his health declined - but mostly the book feels fully formed. As you finish the last pages - semi-demystifying the cult author Benno von Archimboldi after the academics of section one were almost consumed by their search for him - you'll feel thoroughly satisfied even if it ends on a cheeky open-note rather than a definitive punctuation mark. Not anywhere near as challenging or obtuse as the sheer bulk of the tome might suggest, this is engrossing literature, and recommended to anyone.

Finished Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things & now it's on to Daughters of Rome by Kate Quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

The Other Countess by Eva Ibbotson. It's alright; it's aimed at older kids/teenagers and not the most enthralling read ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The Tree of Seasons by Stephen Gately.

I really like the style of writing.

Finished Laughable Loves by Milan Kundera. I absolutely loved The Hitchhiking Game. The other stories were good, but didn't really love them.

Now starting Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

"The Rules of Attraction"- Bret Easton Ellis. Couldn't get into American Psycho so this might be a good appetiser!

• Advertisement

Finished Daughters of Rome & tonight I'm starting Ghostwritten by David Mitchell :)

Finished a re reading of The White Road by John Connolly. Very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Have finally got around to starting The Hobbit.
    I've been meaning to read it for years. I have read the LOTR trilogy (and loved them) but never got around to the Hobbit and I decided that I had to read it before I saw the film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Have finally got around to starting The Hobbit.
    I've been meaning to read it for years. I have read the LOTR trilogy (and loved them) but never got around to the Hobbit and I decided that I had to read it before I saw the film!
    A far easier read than LOTR, I think - not so drawn out and more light-hearted.

• Advertisement

I agree, the Hobbit is more fun, but I read the LOTR before I read the Hobbit which was silly.

I was hoping to get it read again before the film came out, but I wont get the chance. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

+1

I agree on the Hobbit ,I was unable to get into LOTR ,despite 3 failed attempts.

started the Life of Pi today. been wanting to read it for a long time, so doing it for our 2 person book club :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

SarahBM wrote: »
    started the Life of Pi today. been wanting to read it for a long time, so doing it for our 2 person book club :D
    Snap! Just started it a couple of hours ago.

All That I Am by Anna Funder

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just finished News of a Kidknapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Excellent account of the political kidnappings that took place in Colombia during the early 1990s and the events of the time. focuses on 9 particular victims.

Currently reading Far to Go by Alison Pick. Seems good. It's a novel based aroud the time just before and just after the Nazi occupation of Czechzlovakia. Made the 2011 Booker long list (I'm planning to read all of those books, this is the 4th one I've tried and they've all been pretty good).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Am two thirds of the way through this at the minute and while it is a good read I am really underwhelmed by it, would be interested to hear your views on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Think this was the first book I read this year. Had heard of Nevil Shute but didn't know anything about his style. Enjoyed the book. Hope you like it

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Am two thirds of the way through this at the minute and while it is a good read I am really underwhelmed by it, would be interested to hear your views on it.
    Think this was the first book I read this year. Had heard of Nevil Shute but didn't know anything about his style. Enjoyed the book. Hope you like it
    I'm half-way through and I really like it. I had read Shute before so I liked his understated style of writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Just finished The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
    You often see it on many peoples' must read lists and it is now firmly on mine. An epic story told during a time period that I really didn't know much about previously.
    The ending is inspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Just finished Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton. One of the best books I have read from start to finish. It really grips you and there are a lot of twists during the way.

Seifer wrote: »
    Just finished The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
    You often see it on many peoples' must read lists and it is now firmly on mine. An epic story told during a time period that I really didn't know much about previously.
    The ending is inspired.

An amazing book and is fairly high on my all time favourite books - have you tried of Mice and Men?

I'm half-way through and I really like it. I had read Shute before so I liked his understated style of writing.

Just finished it last night and have changed my mind on it - its nice after some of the heavier books I have read lately to read something simple but well written and actually feel good - think I will read the Beach next..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

An amazing book and is fairly high on my all time favourite books - have you tried of Mice and Men?
    No, I haven't but I have it marked for the future now. Saw the film years ago.
    Just finished it last night and have changed my mind on it - its nice after some of the heavier books I have read lately to read something simple but well written and actually feel good - think I will read the Beach next..
    Read the The Beach recently. I had seen bits of the film but the book seems to go a completely different way. A good read.

I will be reading Seven Years in Tibet next (No, I haven't seen the film and yes I'm going travelling in the new year :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Finished Bulgakov's Heart of a Dog earlier this week. It's a really special little read that

Jumped straight into Colin Imber's The Ottoman Empire. It's pretty dense in places but push past the dreadful opening chronology and there's some interesting insight into the workings of the Empire and its institutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

You won't be disappointed with the beach!

You won't be disappointed with the beach!
    On the Beach or The Beach? Two very different books!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

On the Beach or The Beach? Two very different books!

I meant The Beach, real good read although I was quite a bit younger when I read it. Must read it again now actually see how it stands up.

Advertisement