Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

On the Beach or The Beach? Two very different books!

Just to add confusion I meant on the Beach by Chute.. sorry my typo caused confusion :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Ringolevio:A Life Played for Keeps by Emmet Grogan

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Say it Aint So

Submarine by joe dunthorne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Finally getting around to reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It's been on the bookshelf for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Solar by Ian McEwan

• Advertisement

Started The Kite Runner by Hosseini - already nearly half way through it already - its a very compelling book even though it is infuriating me at times but yet I can't put it down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Flowers for Algernon.

It's giving me a lot to think about.

Flowers for Algernon.

It's giving me a lot to think about.

A brilliant but disturbing read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy.

Vengeance by Benjamin Black (aka John Banville)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Ashenden by Elizabeth Wilhide. I love Big House novels, but this is rather dull.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just finished News of a Kidknapping by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Excellent account of the political kidnappings that took place in Colombia during the early 1990s and the events of the time. focuses on 9 particular victims.

Currently reading Far to Go by Alison Pick. Seems good. It's a novel based aroud the time just before and just after the Nazi occupation of Czechzlovakia. Made the 2011 Booker long list (I'm planning to read all of those books, this is the 4th one I've tried and they've all been pretty good).

Far to go was good, but I thought the present day stuff wasn't nearly as the bit set during the War. It lost a bit of momentum towards the end an the ending was a bit of letdown, but overall decent book and well worth the read.

Currently reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

How are you finding this? I hated it :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Only about a quarter way through so I'll reserve judgement, does seem pretty slow paced at the moment though...I'll post back next week once I've finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Im_That_Girl

Right now I'm reading The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore for my online book club. It's not great, but it's okay so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Just started The Infinite Tides by Christian Kiefer. Too soon to tell but have a feeling this might be a slow one to get through.

I cried buckets over that book, (any book that has a child or children being hard done by will have me in floods), as with The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, I knew nothing about the book before reading it - went for it purely because it was Ishiguro & I had really loved The Remains of the Day (cried over that one too!). I'm an emotional wreck really :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of John Connolly's Bad Men. A supernatural kind of crime novel. Still as enjoyable a read again as his earlier novels.

Finished my latest Benjamin Black & tonight I'm going to start Stasiland by Anna Funder. Read her All That I Am last week & was really impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Finished "the collector" by John Fowles

Just started "beloved" by Toni Morrison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Reading "The Hobbit" at the moment, whilst listening to "Life of Pi" on the side. 2 great books!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭lazorgirl

Just started reading "Ancient Light" by John Banville

Callan57 wrote: »
    Finished my latest Benjamin Black & tonight I'm going to start Stasiland by Anna Funder. Read her All That I Am last week & was really impressed.

I loved Stasiland. When I finished it I jokingly emailed her to say that I wished the Berlin Wall had stayed up for another 20 years so the book would be even longer. She replied back with a lovely message full of :) 's at my review. Hoping you enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Absolutely demolishing The Virgin Suicides at the moment. Brilliant book.

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.

A really interesting account of what happened the night Titanic sank. And no love stories to be seen!

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord.

A really interesting account of what happened the night Titanic sank. And no love stories to be seen!

On the inside back cover there's one of those little button things you see on birthday cards, when you press it plays My Heart Will Go On :p

old gregg wrote: »
    On the inside back cover there's one of those little button things you see on birthday cards, when you press it plays My Heart Will Go On :p
    Kindle version, home free! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Just finished Fyodor Vasilevich Mochulsky's Gulag Boss, a Gulag memoir written from the perspective of a NKVD officer in the 1940s. As with all memoirs it comes with its own set of questions but it was a fascinating account nonetheless of life inside the NKVD system

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I am so not liking the life of pi. I think I might read the hobbit again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished the Hobbit Monday, absolutely loved it, and after seeing the film I kind of want to read it again. :)
    I'm about halfway through the Perks of Being a Wallflower, which I am really liking even though I thought I wouldn't when I began reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

LA Confidential, amazing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Jack and Jill by James Patterson.

Ender's game by Orson Scott Card

Just finished The Catcher in the Rye - I'm struggling to know what to say about it - maybe I'm to old to get it but the whole experience of reading it left me cold, hated Holden, hated the style of writing and couldn't see the point of it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

Recently finished 'Me Before You' by JoJo Moyes.

At first glance it appears to be just your standard romance novel but it's actually much more than that. It's not a romanctic book in the Chick Lit sense at all, the cover is very misleading. It is a compelling read that is thought provoking and will stay with you long after you put it down. It gives an incredible insight into the life of a quadraplegic. I found myself really emotionally touched by this story. It was my best read for 2012, funny to think I was in the bookshop and the only reason I bought this book was because a woman browsing the shelves next to me went out of her way to tell me what a good book it was. That's never happened to me before so I took a chance and bought it. I'm glad I did.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Just finished The Catcher in the Rye - I'm struggling to know what to say about it - maybe I'm to old to get it but the whole experience of reading it left me cold, hated Holden, hated the style of writing and couldn't see the point of it to be honest.

Read this twice, once when 16, again when 23. Two completely different reactions to it. Second time was a lot like your reaction. Funny that.

I are mostly reading (trying to) American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's actually not a terrible book but when I put it down I don't seem to be that pushed about picking it up again. Think I'll give up on it.

Finished Stasiland today & tonight I'm going to start Changeling by Philippa Gregory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished perks of being a wallflower and now starting the Count of Monte Cristo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Finished perks of being a wallflower and now starting the Count of Monte Cristo.
    Oooh you're in for a treat!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Frankenstein :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Enjoy! Utterly compelling read.

Just finished The Gulag Archipelago, and James Gleick's brilliantly brief biography of Isaac Newton yesterday. Halfway through Paul Theoux's The Old Patagonian Express (am working alternately through his train books month by month).

Got a 3-volume paperback set of The Gulag Archipelago last week, so will fill in the blanks of the awful abridgement over the weekend, hopefully.

Well into The Women of the Cousins' War by Philippa Gregory

Far to go was good, but I thought the present day stuff wasn't nearly as the bit set during the War. It lost a bit of momentum towards the end an the ending was a bit of letdown, but overall decent book and well worth the read.

How are you finding this? I hated it :o
    Only about a quarter way through so I'll reserve judgement, does seem pretty slow paced at the moment though...I'll post back next week once I've finished it.

I enjoyed it but it seemed to be always building up to a climax that never arrived. My brother loved it and said that was the point but I think it was a bit anticlimactic.

This week I've started into Blood Meridian: or The Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthy.

It's a bit heavy going for Christmas week to say the least. Long roaming sentences that require a lot of concentration and pretty stomach churning subject matter. I've heard great things about it so looking forward to getting through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

On my new Kobo Touch:

Across The Universe by Beth Revis - borrowed from my local library
    On The Origin Of Species by Charles Darwin - free from Kobo store
    Free preview of Yesterday's Sun by Amanda Brooke

I was pretty disappointed by Ender's Game. The writing is not fantastic, the characters aren't believable, and the book could have been 100 pages shorter if Card didn't describe every battle and tactics in boring detail. I won't be reading the rest of this series.

Started The Dirtiest Race in History, about the 1988 100m mens final in Seoul. It is fantastic already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Reading the Casual Vacancy - unsure what all the hype is about (so far anyway)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Reading the Casual Vacancy - unsure what all the hype is about (so far anyway)

Was there hype? Other than it was JK Rowling? I didn't see that much hype from reviewers about it once they'd actually read it.

old gregg wrote: »
    Just started The Infinite Tides by Christian Kiefer. Too soon to tell but have a feeling this might be a slow one to get through.
    I finished this last week and have to say that it is absolutely wonderful. Easily the most enjoyable book I've read in quite some time.
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13000877-the-infinite-tides

Just starting the final part of Glyn Iliffe's Iliad retelling, The Armour of Achilles.

Almost finished The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climber Out Of The Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson .... totally crazy & very funny - a great one to end the year on.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

Kevin Barry - Dark lies the Island

Enjoyed this collection over christmas, short stories that
    are disturbing, moving, funny and all beautifully told.
    Stories are set in a variety of settings, including towns in the west of Ireland, Dublin, Cork, Berlin, Liverpool and London.
    Some memorable characters that will linger with me for a while yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement