Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Was laid up this week so read American Gods, it flagged a bit for me in the middle but it's a good story with some great characters. Next came Good Omens, what a strange book, very funny in parts, would recommend.

To end I just finished Wool by Hugh Howey, one of the better dystopians I've read lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Indelible Acts by A L Kennedy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

The Grass is Singing, Doris Lessing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

girlonfire wrote: »
    The Grass is Singing, Doris Lessing
    Studied that in college and sorry to say I hated it so, so much.

Currently reading Wilkie Collins' The Haunted Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished the Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling. not a fan. I dont know if I will be able to go back and read Harry Potter again after that.

Started A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseni for book club. the friend that picked it has finished already and Im only on page 50 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

"Mendelssohn is on the roof" by Jiri Weil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's debut novel The Black Echo. It was kind of funny with the pagers and using pay phones in it so much. Seems so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Lolita. It may have gotten me a couple of odd looks on the bus :pac:

The language is amazing though, makes you kind of forget for a minute what's going on.

Starting City of Bohane by Kevin Barry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just finished reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I'm not going to lie I found it very tough to get through. He uses a lot of archaic language and the prose was difficult to understand at times.

It would probably require a second run through but to be honest I'm not interested in doing that at the moment.

For a complete change I've decided to read a sports autobiography this week, so I've went with Life, Death and Hurling by Michael Duignan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I started Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh yesterday afternoon, nearly finished it.

Great read, lots of ancedotes, Irish interest and good writing style. Really enjoying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭upstairs for coffee

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov - Very interesting book. Detestable main character that distracts you with his brilliant, manipulative use of language.

Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell - Quick read but very insightful. Some brilliant descriptions and funny stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Just finished The Angel of the Streetlamps by Sean Moncrieff.
    It's very, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Just started Bloodland by Irish author Alan Glynn, so far so good. I read another book of his called Winterland which was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Rereading everything by W.G.Sebald and have just finished The Rings Of Saturn. What a truly astonishing book it is.

The trouble with reading Sebald is that I find it is very difficult to get into anything else and now I have just Vertigo to go this time round plus the poems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I've been reading mad over the last day or two I've finished two books..

Lord of the Flies by William Golding (Liked the story but think the ending was super rushed!)

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (A bit slow to start, shocking as the ages of the boys involved towards the situations there in but slightly captivating. I read this years ago at a young age and never grasped it so I wanted to have another go it's an okay book)

Started reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald about an hour ago so going to read a bit more and see can it put me to sleep! It's so early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Full Catastrophe Living
    A mindfulness book. Although I haven't started disciplined practice, I find just reading the book a few pages at a time helps me relax and become aware of the physical world. Highly recommend it for anyone that wants to slow down their brain.

The Alchemist
    Again reading it in drips and drabs but a very concise book that is optimistic throughout. The writing is nothing too spectacular but I'm in the minimalist camp when it comes to that anyway so it suits me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

The Lost Years by Mary Higgins Clark

Women And Children First by Gill Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Finished The Great Gatsby this morning and enjoyed it though it was tragic.

Also read and finished Of Mice and Men which I liked. It was simple and sad at the end.

Started Animal Farm by George Orwell today.

Finished City of Bohane and now I'm on to What Becomes by A L Kennedy and at home I'm reading Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling - hardback so too heavy for commuting.

• Advertisement

Callan57 wrote: »
    Finished City of Bohane and now I'm on to What Becomes by A L Kennedy and at home I'm reading Casual Vacancy by J K Rowling - hardback so too heavy for commuting.

Id be interested to see what you thought about this.

I finished A Thousand Splendid Suns last night, no I dont know what to read next. Either
    Along Came A Spider- James Patterson
    The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    Insurrection -Robyn Young -bought today (Chapters is just one of those shops that I cant walk past:D)
    Plugged -Eoin Colfer - which I also just bought today
    and sitting on my "to Read" shelf, The Man in the Iron Mask, Doctor Zhivago, The Kite Runner, The Appeal, etc.

oh decisions!
    :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 ScriptKittie

About a third of the way through Cloud Atlas, as I like to read books before seeing the movie.

It's rather strange, and I'm not sure I'm really enjoying it that much. I'll persevere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

About a third of the way through Cloud Atlas, as I like to read books before seeing the movie.

It's rather strange, and I'm not sure I'm really enjoying it that much. I'll persevere.

Its worth perservering with - I really enjoyed the Timothy Cavendish parts and Adam Ewing.

I didn't enjoy it other than that but was glda I stuck with it to the end.

Just finished Wuthering Heights and started Wilkie Collins "The woman in white" which has already sucked me in..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

i saw the trailer for this earlier I was going to read it, seems like an interesting book! You should post what you think of it when you finish it

I'm still reading les miserables (14% of it read! :o) but I'm thinking of reading a virginia woolf book next..or one of the books I have out from the library.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Just finished Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks. Excellent read, highly reconnended. Next, back to the always brillian Flashman series, this time Flashman and the Mountain of Light by George MacDonald Fraser

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

Just finished Birdsong myself actually and I taught it was terribly boring, was relieved when it finally ended. Also finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens, very good read, and am now starting on David Copperfield.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Just finished reading Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. I'm not going to lie I found it very tough to get through. He uses a lot of archaic language and the prose was difficult to understand at times.

It would probably require a second run through but to be honest I'm not interested in doing that at the moment.

For a complete change I've decided to read a sports autobiography this week, so I've went with Life, Death and Hurling by Michael Duignan.

Moving on, I've now started The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt. I noticed some positive reviews earlier in this thread. It's incredibly easy to read, has a great pace about it and so far seems to be very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Just finished The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker – a very slow-paced, apocalyptic tale. It was okay.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Still dying a slow death with Madame Bovary. I've already quit one book this year, I won't be defeated by another!

Still dying a slow death with Madame Bovary. I've already quit one book this year, I won't be defeated by another!

mais alors !! One of the great books !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

That book defeated me a few years ago. I thought it was a painful read. Might have another bash of it at some stage of my life if I run out of other books to read! :D

Just started The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's one of those books that you reall have to concentrate on when you read it. But its Oscar Wilde.

Finished an enjoyable re reading of Michael Connelly's The Black Ice.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Just started The Picture of Dorian Gray. It's one of those books that you reall have to concentrate on when you read it. But its Oscar Wilde.

I enjoyed that one the last time I read it myself. Defintely a book I recommend to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just finished The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker – a very slow-paced, apocalyptic tale. It was okay.

Nearly bought this at the weekend but couldn't justify carrying it home from London. Is it worth the read? I liked the jacket blurb and looked interesting but only ever saw it in Tescos.

Nearly finished 'Seven Deadly Sins, My persuit of Lance Armstrong' by David Walsh. Excellent book, really well written and just enough background information. Some funny bits too

"There are two types of people in Ireland. Those who have been on The Late Late Show and those that watch it. At this point in time it's hard to tell who's in the minority"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor by Robert Kirkman and Jay Bonansinga.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

Just finished THE ROAD (Mc Carthy) preceded by BLEAK HOUSE (Dickens). Now attacking LONDON BELONGS TO ME (Norman Collins).

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, About 20% in ,gripping - seductive -disturbing. this could turn out to be a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

After finishing Mendellson is on the roof (genuinely superb) I decided to go for something lighter.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is hitting the spot in that regard.

• Advertisement

After finishing Mendellson is on the roof (genuinely superb) I decided to go for something lighter.

Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis is hitting the spot in that regard.

Been a while since I read Lucky Jim but remember really enjoying it. Currently alternating between The Woman in White and Barry by Roy McCarthy. Really enjoying Barry - its a light read but would thoroughly recommend it especially to anyone that does a bit of running.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Loreida

The Road Home by Rose Tremain and Plato's Republic (for college, sitting on my shelf and sadly untouched).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

World War Z.

Dark Lies the Island by Kevin Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Started mrs dalloway by virginia woolf today, looking forward to it as I've enjoyed other books I've read by her.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

Almost finished 'Wolf Hall'. I gave myself until the end of the month to read it (started it and the end of January) and I seem to have a bit of a 'love/hate' relationship with it. I had intended to read 'Bringing Up The Bodies' straight after it whilst characters were fresh in my mind however, I think I need a break from it.

Therefore going to change things completely and have 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry' lined up for when I'm finished :)

Enjoyed a re read of Michael Connelly's The Concrete Blonde.

Starting The Conductor by Sarah Quigley

Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray last night. I thought it was ok, but I prefer Wilde's plays. perhaps I just didnt really "get it".

Going to start James Patterson's Along Came A Spider. Been meaning to read the Alex Cross series for years.

Finished The Picture of Dorian Gray last night. I thought it was ok, but I prefer Wilde's plays. perhaps I just didnt really "get it".

Going to start James Patterson's Along Came A Spider. Been meaning to read the Alex Cross series for years.

Edit: also going to try and finish Doctor Zhivago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement