Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished Summertime Death .... gripping!

Now for something completly different Astray by Emma Donoghue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

marienbad wrote: »
    Germ of a discussion here, do you reread any books ? I too have noticed eire4 is on a Harry Bosch binge and I must confess I too have reread quite a few of Michael Connelly's books, particularly the early ones .

To be honest I would hardly ever re-read a book and if I do it's because I know it to be brilliant and have mostly forgotten it. A few weeks ago I read East of Eden for the second time but that was after almost twenty years, last year I re-read Strumpet City after a similar time gap, I've been meaning to do it with Star of the Sea but I always stop myself before I start.
    I'm not big into crime fiction but recently I tried Michael Connolly(Lincoln Lawyer) and Denis Lehane(gone baby gone and Live by Night), of the three the only one that I thought was any good was Live by Night but I won't ever be reading it again, I just don't see the point when I know what happens and there are millions of other books in the genre.

I'm in the middle of Kate Atkinson's Life after Life which I am enjoying and I'm also making my way slowly through Con Houlihans non sports collection A Harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

I'm reading Schindler's Ark by Thomas Keneally. Haunting but essential reading!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Chasing The Dime which was a little different from his other novels so far but just as enjoyable.

The Fall of the Stone City by Ismail Kadare

I'm currently reading Rubicon by Tom Holland. I've never really been into historical books before but I'm really enjoying this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Have started reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, on the second one now. At the moment they are ok, seemingly they get a lot better 3/4 books in - will stick with them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gerod76

I'm currently reading Kill The Dead by Richard Kadrey. It is book 2 of the Sandman Slim series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Read the first volume of Kick Ass on Saturday. Really liked it, clever.

Now loling at A Confederacy of Dunces. Any 'overqualified' 'underemployed' readerly type office drone may identify :D;)

• Advertisement

Midwinter Sacrifice by Mons Kallentoft

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭vepyewwo

Stasiland by Anna Funder after a recent trip to Berlin. Interesting, but not as good as I hoped it would be.

Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. Quite an odd read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

vepyewwo wrote: »
    Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel. Quite an odd read.

Great film

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The prince of thorns by mark Lawrence

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's Lost Light. His first novel with Harry Bosch no longer on the LAPD. A good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Started this today :)One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

It's okay so far but I'm only on chapter 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Finished Mrs. Dalloway, loved it.
    Going to start Life Of Pi next! Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Bill the Galactic Hero on the Planet of Bottled Brains by Harry Harrison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Just finished Captain Coreli's Mandolin and really enjoyed it. Started Dangerous Liaisons and hope it picks up - am about 30 pages in and its wrecking my head.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

East of Eden.

Only 80 pages in and I love it already.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

East of Eden.

My absolute favourite book. Loved it. Was watching the film earlier on RTÉ and felt inspired to do a massive Steinbeck re-read starting with East of Eden.

• Advertisement

Wedlock: How Georgian Britain's Worst Husband Met his Match

Started my first Jo Nesbo today - The Redeemer

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's The Narrows an interesting bringing together of various characters from his earlier books.Very well done and an enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished the Prodigal Daughter last night at like 3am, couldnt put it down. Cant wait to read the next book in the series.

Going to read The Appeal by John Grisham. I have only read one of his other books.

Next for book club its going to be East of Eden, thanks to the positive posts in this thread. I love this thread, its brilliant for suggestions of books, I normally would never have considered or maybe even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin. Young Wexford woman emigrates to New York in the 1950's. Much better than I anticipated.

Ian McEwan, Sweet Tooth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

East of Eden.

My absolute favourite book. Loved it. Was watching the film earlier on RTÉ and felt inspired to do a massive Steinbeck re-read starting with East of Eden.
    SarahBM wrote: »
    Finished the Prodigal Daughter last night at like 3am, couldnt put it down. Cant wait to read the next book in the series.

Going to read The Appeal by John Grisham. I have only read one of his other books.

Next for book club its going to be East of Eden, thanks to the positive posts in this thread. I love this thread, its brilliant for suggestions of books, I normally would never have considered or maybe even heard of.

Just finished it now, I absolutely loved it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Caved in and went for A Game of Thrones.

Just finished it now, I absolutely loved it!

East of Eden in under a week is good going, brilliant book that I read myself about a month ago, if you haven't read Grapes of Wrath yet you should go for that next, in my opinion it's better, possibly the best book I've ever read but I could say that about a few.
    I don't think the East of Eden movie is great to be honest, possibly because I prefer the first half of the book or maybe just the usual that it's not as good as the book, don't really get Jimmy Dean either.

I also thought Brooklyn was brilliant even though it sound almost like chick lit it is brilliantly done,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'm about halfway through The Master and Margarita and really enjoying it.

• Advertisement

East of Eden in under a week is good going, brilliant book that I read myself about a month ago, if you haven't read Grapes of Wrath yet you should go for that next, in my opinion it's better, possibly the best book I've ever read but I could say that about a few.
    I don't think the East of Eden movie is great to be honest, possibly because I prefer the first half of the book or maybe just the usual that it's not as good as the book, don't really get Jimmy Dean either.

I also thought Brooklyn was brilliant even though it sound almost like chick lit it is brilliantly done,

I've read a lot of Steinbeck but funnily enough struggled with Grapes of Wrath. I don't think I ever finished it. Maybe I read it too close to finishing EofE and it just didn't match up for me.
    I love Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday. Less epic reads than Grapes or Eden but still enjoyable.

The Accident by Ismail Kadare

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Catherine!

White Death by Ken McClure

I'm reading The Gamal, a first novel by a young Cork writer, very enjoyable so far anyway, very interesting style, blurb on the cover compares it to Catcher in the Rye and I understand that.

About half way through Plainsong by Kent Haruf. Enjoying it so far. Quite a slow pace but very atmospheric.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Didn't start Life Of Pi like I said I would, reading Deathless by Catherynne M.Valente instead - amazing book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Slattsy wrote: »
    Caved in and went for A Game of Thrones.

I recommend going to A Forum of Ice and Fire, they have a chapter by chapter discussion. It will help you as there is so much you can miss, don't stray into spoiler areas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Finally finished Lord of the Flies once I got my exams done. Moving onto The Hobbit next.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finally finished Lord of the Flies once I got my exams done. Moving onto The Hobbit next.

What did you think of the Lord of the flies? for such a small book , it took me ages to read.

Enjoy the Hobbit, brilliant book :)

• Advertisement

The Last Dance & other stories by Victoria Hislop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

SarahBM wrote: »
    What did you think of the Lord of the flies? for such a small book , it took me ages to read.

Enjoy the Hobbit, brilliant book :)

One of the best compliments I could give Lord of the Flies is that when I was reading it in school for the Leaving Cert, we did a few pages in our last class of the day and I was so engrossed that I practically ran home to finish it off. It's a stunning novel and 24 years later it's definitely due a second read!

The Sealed Letter by Emma Donoghue

Teju Cole, Open City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

At First Sight, Nicholas Sparks.

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's The Closers last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭VanillaLime

Trying to get back into reading again - I used to read loads but have fallen out of the habit the past few years.
    Just finished Tigers in Red Weather by Liza Klaussmann, enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

The Club by Christy O'Connor

Excellent book about a year in the life of a GAA club in Co Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

After The Walking Dead fizzling out over the past 2 series', i've gone for World War Z to satisfy my blood lust :D

So far so good, i love the format, very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Nearly finished Jo Nesbo's Phantom.
    Thatis them all read and honestly I wouldn't be rushing out to buy his next one.

Finished Plainsong by Kent Haruf this morning, moving straight on to it's "sequel" Eventide tonight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement