Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Honey-ec wrote: »

Read Life of Pi over the weekend. Beautiful book, but my first thought on finishing it was "That's unfilmable." Watched the film last night, and that opinion stands.

This is exactly what I said when I saw the film earlier in the year, nice to see someone FINALLY agree with me! I thought it was pretty but that was just about it...

Beat me personal record for reading IT, got through it in a week exactly, and I'm just about to start On The Road, I've heard from a lot that it's one of those books you either love or hate, I'm looking forward to seeing which of those camps I fall into! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Finished John Boyne's Next of Kin last week. I'm kind of cooling off Boyne, I have to say, his last couple of books have been extremely predictable.

Started Blood Meridien after that, got about 2/3s of the way through and decided to take a break from it for a while. McCarthy is an unparallelled wordsmith, but I just needed a few days away from the unrelenting bleakness.

Read Life of Pi over the weekend. Beautiful book, but my first thought on finishing it was "That's unfilmable." Watched the film last night, and that opinion stands.

Will go back to Blood Meridien this evening, then it's The Great Gatsby, followed by This House is Haunted by John Boyne. If this leaves me as cold as Next of Kin and Crippen, I'm giving up on him.
    Have you read Mutiny on the Bounty by Boyne? It's written from the aspect of a cabin boy...I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished Theo Dorgan's Making Way ... a love story with a twist but OMG such poetry in the writing. Truly, truly beautiful. I picked it up in the library but I will definitely be purchasing my own copy & I will definitely reread it probably again & again.

Next for me is Ignorance by Michéle Roberts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Have you read Mutiny on the Bounty by Boyne? It's written from the aspect of a cabin boy...I enjoyed it.

Yes, and I absolutely loved it - one of my all-time favourite books. It's why I find it so strange that he can be so hit and miss

Mutiny on the Bounty - exquisite
    House of Special Purpose - exquisite
    The Thief of Time - not quite exquisite, but extremely enjoyable

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - meh
    Crippen - meh
    Next of Kin - meh

Congress of Rough Riders - absolute shite
    The Absolutist - absolute shite

Yes, and I absolutely loved it - one of my all-time favourite books. It's why I find it so strange that he can be so hit and miss

Mutiny on the Bounty - exquisite
    House of Special Purpose - exquisite
    The Thief of Time - not quite exquisite, but extremely enjoyable

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - meh
    Crippen - meh
    Next of Kin - meh

Congress of Rough Riders - absolute shite
    The Absolutist - absolute shite
    That's a shame, Bounty was great, I'd have assumed the others would be as good or close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I've been reading another new release for the last few nights Red Sky in Morning by Irishman Paul Lynch. I love historical fiction and this one really seems to nail the bleakness of pre famine Donegal(not that I know much about it), beautiful writing style which reminds me somehow of Cormac McCarthy with a little of Joseph O'Connor(I'm thinking Star of the Sea and Redemption Falls), fantastic baddie also, I've got a feeling this guy could be the next big thing in Irish fiction, I'm only 80 pages in, anyone else read it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Reading Blood Meridian myself, my second attempt. It's boring me to tears tbh. Only 130 pages to go, not sure I'll make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lolyta

Just finished GRRM's A Feast For Crows (Book 4 of Game of Thrones) It didn't wow me nearly half as much as A Storm of Swords but there was a nice few twists towards the end.

Starting into a Dance with Dragons next, hopefully it won't disappoint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Just finished the excellent Bill, The Galactic Hero series, a scathing yet humourous attack on the (American) military, particularly the last book in the series. I must re-read Harry Harrisons Stainless Steel Rat series soon.
    Next up though is Rant by Chuck Palahniuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Random is how I think I could best describe it. One or two LOL moments, but I dont think it lived up to the hype. Or maybe I just didnt get it or something. I dont think I would read the rest of them.

Starting East of Eden by John Steinbeck for book club. My suggestion as I have seen it mentioned a few times here.

I think I have to read the Hunger Games after that before my best friend lynches me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

From a recommendation in the funny books thread I picked up Mystery Man by Colin Bateman, funniest book I read in a long time. Don't read it on the bus or you'll be the crazy person.

Reading The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle now, its interesting so far. I like the style of writing, however the casual racism, violence and suggestions of opiate use are at odds with how I (wrongly) perceived Victorians/Edwardians. It's like the senile granny who can say anything and get away with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

I bought "The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared " this weekend and its great fun. Author Jonas Jonasson.
    must admit I absolutely love Patrick Kavanagh, Tarry Flynn, The Green Fool books you can read several times
    I very highly reccommend all the Kazuo Ishiguro books, he's very talented.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    OK finished The Great Gatsby this morning. Loved this book, I'm tempted to re-read it straight away but I'll leave it be for a few months I think.

I'm not sure what I'll read next but I'll probably start something new this evening.

Finished "The Testament of Jessie Lamb" by Jane Rogers.

Don't really have anything positive to say about it, it was just poor in my opinion, none of the characters were likable or all that interesting and the choices and reasoning made by the main character were strange to say the least.

Anyway moving on now, not sure what to yet though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Twelve Children of Paris by Tim Willocks

Pure Gold.
    About 40% through ,and top notch so far.I even ordered a second copy to lend to friends.

Mattias Tannhauser rocks.The killings are grotesque,mesmeric and repulsive all at the same time.Like in the Religion ,Willocks is the master in his depiction of violent acts IMO.
    Jamie Lannister would piss his pants.:eek::D

http://parmenionbooks.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/507/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Michael Connelly's The Overlook. Decent but not his best.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

I'll tell you trooper boys something...

if a spastic can make a film like THE PURGE from one interesting idea as
    featured in Alfred Sole's excellent COMMUNION and play it in THE CINEMAS
    then there's hope for OUR medium...

I rest ma case.

:)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Just finished The Tenderloin by John Butler. Really liked it.

It reminded me a bit of Colm Tóibín's Brooklyn, except where I found that slightly boring, The Tenderloin had a very clear story to tell. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Finished On The Road over the weekend and I'm still unsure as whether I liked it or not. While I loved the ideas and the writing style, as well as the development (or
    disintegration
    ) of the characters, I really felt like it was going around in circles at times, and by the end I just wanted it to be finished...

Currently reading Catch 22, I'm about halfway through it and I'm loving it thus far, so funny in parts that I got a few weird looks from the neighbours from laughing very loudly in the garden while reading it yesterday!! :P

When I saw that Khaled Hosseini had a new book out I couldn't stop myself from buying it the other day, the guy is an amazing storyteller, I'm looking forward to it, read the first chapter last night and the omens are good for another extraordinary book.

Finished The Great Gatsby while waiting in the motor tax office earlier. It all felt a bit, I don't know, inconsequential? None of the characters were really developed properly. It'll be interesting to see how the film compares.

Will start This House is Haunted tonight.
    When I saw that Khaled Hosseini had a new book out I couldn't stop myself from buying it the other day, the guy is an amazing storyteller, I'm looking forward to it, read the first chapter last night and the omens are good for another extraordinary book.

I sometimes think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like A Thousand Splendid Suns. Haven't bothered with anything else of his because I found it so boring.

• Advertisement

Finished The Great Gatsby while waiting in the motor tax office earlier. It all felt a bit, I don't know, inconsequential? None of the characters were really developed properly. It'll be interesting to see how the film compares.

I sometimes think I'm the only person in the world who didn't like A Thousand Splendid Suns. Haven't bothered with anything else of his because I found it so boring.

You could have used a lot of adjectives to describe it, boring isn't one I ever would have expected though:eek:

Finished The Snowman last night ... I actually thought The Redeemer was better but maybe that was because it was my first Jo Nesbo.

Today I started And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini ... about 30 pages in and loveing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finiahed a re read of Michael Connelly's The Brass Verdict. Very enjoyable coutroom crime based on his Mickey Haller defense lawyer character with his mainstay Harry Bosch also included.

First of all I didnt like the Great Gatsby. At all.

I thought A Thousand Splendid Suns was a good book, but to say I liked it would be a stretch. It was very depressing. There was not one moment in that book where you could say you smiled. It has kind of put me off reading the Kite Runner.

Anyone here take part in the Light House Cinema Book Club? I havent been able to go to the film showings of the last few books, but I am definitely going to go to the next one which is one of my all time favourites, The Witches by Roald Dahl. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Funny I came on here to post about A Thousand Splendid Suns....I have avoided reading it for so long because of the hype but I have to say I really loved it. Given the setting and subject matter it was never going to be jolly rollercoaster of a book, if it was then it's authenticity would be called into question. I thought his portrayal of the relationship between the two female characters was almost like a love story complete with tragic ending. Looking forward to reading his new novel....

Just started Swimming Home by Deborah Leavy, was recommended to me but not sure what to expect.

After that starting The Red Nile by Robert Twigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Trying to get into Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace but its tough going, dark and very hard to get used to the writing style. Not a book to read to get to sleep so I'm also reading The Lost World by Michael Crichton - entertaining enough and easy reading.
    Recent favorite - World War Z by Max Brooks. Seen it recommended here so gave it a shot - good read!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

The Stranger's Child by Alan Hollinghurst. It's bowling along nicely. I finished Life After Life by Kate Atkinson last week, I loved it so much I found it hard to get into another book so I started a few.

When I finish the Hollinghurst I'll probably go back to The Professor and The Housekeeper by Yoko Ogawa or Jo Nesbo's Phantom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Just finished The Waves by Virginia Woolf. Beautiful, profound.

Now reading a collection of John Jeremiah O'Sullivan's journalism, Pulphead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 akaRed

Re-read Cake or Death (Sarah Rielle) on the weekend. Not that long since I read it but got stuck away with no internet so just clicked through my kindle and got sucked in again. Still laugh out loud funny the second time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 akaRed

Also read Maeve Binchy's A Week in Winter recently. Enjoyed it though felt the end was somewhat lacking in depth (which is understandable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Finished I, Claudius by Robert Graves the other day. It's a really good and entertaining way of learning about Ancient Rome. I had previously heard of Caligula and his wild antics, so I really enjoyed reading about him in this.

I'm now reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I was never one for fantasy (except LOTR and The Hobbit), but I've recently been reading A Song of Ice and Fire and getting more into the genre. And so far, this one looks good. And gets great reviews, so hope it lives up to that

Started This House is Haunted last night, and I'm halfway through already. Proper, good old-fashioned ghost story :)
    Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I'm now reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I was never one for fantasy (except LOTR and The Hobbit), but I've recently been reading A Song of Ice and Fire and getting more into the genre. And so far, this one looks good. And gets great reviews, so hope it lives up to that

I loved The Name of the Wind, I've read it three times at this stage, I think. I wasn't as enamoured with the follow-up (the name of which escapes me right now), but I would like to read it again, as I only read it once.

Well, finished This House is Haunted last night. As I said, it's a good old-fashioned ghost story. Not actually scary, mind you, but still very enjoyable as a bit of brain-fluff.

Raided the work library yesterday as I'm going on hols next week, and got John Connolly's Dark Hollow, Michael Connelly's 9 Dragons and Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim.

I'll probably pick up another couple in the airport.

Struggling a bit with East of Eden, but enjoying re-reding the Witches.

I wonder, would I be likely to read more if I had a Kindle/e-reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

Wanted to get back into reading so I joined the library (literally I've only read harry potter, twilight and the hunger games in the last few years :o )

so I took out The Stand by Stephen King - this is very long but I've made a start at it anyway, but i'm not sure if this is the right genre for me

I also took out Jane Eyre which i'm more looking forward to reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

City of Bohane. So far finding it irritating. The Pat McCabe/Martin McDonagh cartoonish rural violence seems old hat at this stage.

The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Raided the work library yesterday as I'm going on hols next week, and got John Connolly's Dark Hollow, Michael Connelly's 9 Dragons and Kingsley Amis' Lucky Jim.

I'll probably pick up another couple in the airport.

Lucky Jim is incredible; it's a very, very funny and enjoyable book...
    City of Bohane. So far finding it irritating. The Pat McCabe/Martin McDonagh cartoonish rural violence seems old hat at this stage.

Don't give up on Bohane, it's amazing. I think Kevin Barry's one of the very finest writers around at the moment. Actually, I might even read City of Bohane again now. :)

Have finished a mountain of novels since my last post in this thread but some of the better ones have included:

Vargas Lloasa's The Dream of the Celt (about Roger Casement): would highly recommend
    David Mitchell's Black Swan Green (far more accessible than Cloud Atlas and quite charming, but in a very different way)
    Howard Jacobson's The Making of Henry (a bit Amis-ish in its style... which is probably why I enjoyed it so much)
    Hugh Leonard's Fillums (enjoys a really promising start but looses its momentum about halfway through)
    John Lanchester's Mr Philips (not bad, but not great - should probably have read his more celebrated Capital as an introduction to Lanchester).
    Vargas Llosa's The Bad Girl (an absolutely remarkable novel; the only romance story I think I'll ever enjoy [and WHAT a romance story it is!])

Read quite a bit more but can't really remember what just at the moment... hmm, I wonder if that says more about me or the novels?

123 LC wrote: »
    Wanted to get back into reading so I joined the library (literally I've only read harry potter, twilight and the hunger games in the last few years :o )

so I took out The Stand by Stephen King - this is very long but I've made a start at it anyway, but i'm not sure if this is the right genre for me

I also took out Jane Eyre which i'm more looking forward to reading

Hey, who cares what you read as long as you're enjoying it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Plus one on Lucky Jim - great and funny read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Currently reading The best of Myles by Flann O'Brien - a collection of his columns from The Irish Times from the 40s. Some laugh out loud moments but lots of his little hobby horses as well which aren't great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

The Map and Territory by Michel Houellebecq.

Only a few chapters in, its hardly gripping but im warming to it. For the good press it received it should be a great read, i love a good satire.

Slattsy wrote: »
    The Map and Territory by Michel Houellebecq.

Only a few chapters in, its hardly gripping but im warming to it. For the good press it received it should be a great read, i love a good satire.

What do people make of Houellebecq? I read Atomised and Platform when they came out (geez, that's about 10 years ago now!) and thought they were useless: unpleasant, seedy, salacious, and affectedly controversial. Was I right?

Recently I bought "Whatever" and am going to give it a go presently. Or should I?

By the way, I absolutely hate his books' covers!! For a writer who's lauded as an intellectual and innovator, why do his novels all look like something Jackie Collins would put out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

wilkie2006 wrote: »
    What do people make of Houellebecq? I read Atomised and Platform when they came out (geez, that's about 10 years ago now!) and thought they were useless: unpleasant, seedy, salacious, and affectedly controversial. Was I right?

Recently I bought "Whatever" and am going to give it a go presently. Or should I?

By the way, I absolutely hate his books' covers!! For a writer who's lauded as an intellectual and innovator, why do his novels all look like something Jackie Collins would put out?

I liked Platform and Atomised but thought that The Possibility of an Island was awful shíte. Never read Whatever - in fact gave up on him after The Possibility of an Island.

wilkie2006 wrote: »

I only read Atomised, and I had the same opinion as you. I'm not particularly fond of Houellebecq himself either, I see him interviewed regularly on French tv, and he gives the impression of being pretty sleazy too.

Life Mask by Emma Donoghue

Have nearly finished The President's Hat by Antoine Laurain

Enjoyable enough story and very easy to zip through. Anyone looking for something light-hearted for the beach would probably appreciate it. A pretty accurate review from the Guardian here

I reckon I'll start Crab Walk by Gunter Grass tomorrow

Callan57 wrote: »
    Life Mask by Emma Donoghue

Any use? Didn't think too much of Donoghue's "Room"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

I am just finishing A Dance with Dragons by GRRM and I am going to reread His Dark Materials by Pullman when I am done! I haven't read them in a while and am excited :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Nearly finished The Buddha in the Attic by Julia Otsuka, anyone read it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement