Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Callan57 wrote: »
    Just picked up How Many Miles to Babylon by Jennifer Johnston

Maybe I'm just being sentimental because I did it for my leaving cert, but I love this book.

I am currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry. It's okay, I guess, but it seems like quite a short story padded out with lots of walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'm nearing the end of A Song of Ice and Fire #2. It's definitely not as good as the first book, I think there's far too many characters tbh, I'm finding myself starting to skim now.

Wait until #4! :)

That's where I gave up the first time I tried the series. I managed it again a couple of years later, but yes, it goes from a novel with a nice, small number of characters, most of whom are in the one place to a giant, sprawling epic that's impossible to keep track of without the help of wikipedia.

Still a fantastic series though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

SarahBM wrote: »
    thanks I'll try. But after reading East of Eden, I didnt really look forward to this. Im going to try and finish it today.

You don't like East of Eden OR Of Mice and Men?:eek: Tough lady to please!:p
    Please tell me you like something Steinbeck has done, Grapes of Wrath?

I've just started on the new Roddy Doyle book, follow up to the Commitments, he has matured a lot as a writer since those early books but still has a great ear and pen for dialogue, very easy to read, shouldn't take long!

You don't like East of Eden OR Of Mice and Men?:eek: Tough lady to please!:p
    Please tell me you like something Steinbeck has done, Grapes of Wrath?

I love Steinbeck but I couldn't finish Grapes of Wrath.

Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday are good ones too. Not too much going on and reasonably short.

I love Steinbeck but I couldn't finish Grapes of Wrath.

Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday are good ones too. Not too much going on and reasonably short.

Grapes of Wrath is my favourite book ever without a doubt, no book ever moved me as much as that.
    Different strokes for different folks, I've disliked quite a few books that I've been recommended.

Grapes of Wrath is my favourite book ever without a doubt, no book ever moved me as much as that.
    Different strokes for different folks, I've disliked quite a few books that I've been recommended.

I just found it a bit of hard work. It's similar to East of Eden in that way but I found myself captivated by EofE in a way that I wasn't by Grapes. It's been a fair while since I tried to read it though. Must give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I finished The Northern Lights this morning and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was just pure escapism into another world.
    I am going to continue on with the second book in the trilogy 'The Subtle Knife'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished the beautiful How Many Miles to Babylon - really loved it.

Now it's on to The Daughters of Mars by Thomas Keneally

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mickoregan

The Son by Philipp Meyer. Wonderful book by an author I've only recently discovered. I read his first book, American Rust, which showed huge promise but didn't feel quite there. However, the new one is excellent.
    A major talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

LOVE His Dark Materials Trilogy. They are great.

I havent read grapes of wrath, I hated East of Eden and I havent picked up of mice and men since Sunday. Ergh. I just find Steinbeck so depressing.

Im not tough to please, I just like to be able to crack at least one smile when I read a book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

I picked up a copy of Catcher in The Rye by JD Salinger. I haven't really been able to get into it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Nero707 wrote: »
    I picked up a copy of Catcher in The Rye by JD Salinger. I haven't really been able to get into it though.

My dad bought it for me a few years ago. I got through it but I didn't particularly enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

^That's one of my favourite books! Maybe because I was a teenager when I read it first, I could identify with Holden's disgust at all the phoniness around him.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I've just finished Imperium by Robert Harris and am going to read Fatherland before diving straight into the next Cicero book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

vitani wrote: »
    ^That's one of my favourite books! Maybe because I was a teenager when I read it first, I could identify with Holden's disgust at all the phoniness around him.
    Yeah, I loved it too. I do think that when in your life you read it makes a big difference. It's fairly short though so to anyone struggling, I'd say stick with it.

I loaned my copy to a friend who couldn't get into it and I never got it back. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

vitani wrote: »
    Ice Storm wrote: »
    Yeah, I loved it too. I do think that when in your life you read it makes a big difference. It's fairly short though so to anyone struggling, I'd say stick with it.

I loaned my copy to a friend who couldn't get into it and I never got it back. :mad:

My dad said it was one of the few books that he wouldn't be able to read now (now being when he gave it to me).

I was coming to the end of my teenage years, probably 18 or so, when I read it. Maybe if I read it three or more years before that I might have appreciated it more.

I just found Holden to be annoying and didn't care much for him.

I am glad that I read it though, even if I didn't really enjoy it.

I've just finished Imperium by Robert Harris and am going to read Fatherland before diving straight into the next Cicero book.

I haven't read Imperium but Fatherland is an awesome read - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Just started "The Spinning Heart" by Donal Ryan. It's one of the long-listed Booker Prize novels.

Broadly, it's about how the recession has affected a rural village in Ireland.

So far, I'm really enjoying the novel. I like how Ryan writes: he has a great capacity to capture very different characters' voices. Regarding the plot, it's really engaging, and very moving. I'd recommend it, although I'm glad the book's only 150-odd pages; I suspect that a novel treating this topic could becoming very, very dark unless it's kept in check.

Anyone else read it? What did you make of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Nero707

My dad said it was one of the few books that he wouldn't be able to read now (now being when he gave it to me).

I was coming to the end of my teenage years, probably 18 or so, when I read it. Maybe if I read it three or more years before that I might have appreciated it more.

I just found Holden to be annoying and didn't care much for him.

I am glad that I read it though, even if I didn't really enjoy it.

I have to agree with you about Holden. I thought he was a bit of a moan-y b***h. Just couldn't really like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

gangland international.good owl read lots of interesting characters from prohibition era

I think this same conversation about Catcher in the Rye took place here a while back too.

I read it first when I was about 15 or 16 and thought it was amazing. Then i read it again when I was 22 and thought Holden was such a pain. I wanted to slap the fupp out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Read it for my leaving cert 20+ years ago. Must actually read it again.

Just about to start Robert A. Heinlein's J.O.B., book swaps ftw...

Well I did it, I finished Of Mice and Men. I apologise if I offend anyone but I thought it was crap. What was the point like.

Back to the Count of Monte Cristo. Getting stuck into it now.

My Aunt asked me to read The Spinning Heart and let her know what I think, she said if I think its good she will get it. LOL

Can some one tell me if the Kite Runner as depressing as A Thousand Splendid Suns? Im hesitant to pick it up. and I have borrowed the film off my friend and I would prefer to read the book first.

A Thousand splendid sons is quite uplifting in comparison,:p both are brilliant though, probably not your cup of tea.

The Spinning Heart is a fantastic book, no way any Irish person could dislike it, not much to bring a smile to your face though.

Nobody could be offended by someone elses opinion on a book unless they wrote it, I love Of Mice and Men and Steinbeck in general, we all have different tastes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well I did it, I finished Of Mice and Men. I apologise if I offend anyone but I thought it was crap. What was the point like.

Can't say I loved it either. I read it last year as I felt it was something I should have got around to reading long ago, and I finished it just so it would be something I could check off the list.
    Back to the Count of Monte Cristo. Getting stuck into it now.

Haven't returned to The Count yet!

Currently reading Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. It's okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

Just finished Thomas Pynchon's V. and am now reading American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis which is a doddle in comparison

I don't get how some of you can read more than one book at a time, or put one down to read something else then pick it back up again. Once I start something I have to finish it or give up on it before I can move on.

I don't get how some of you can read more than one book at a time, or put one down to read something else then pick it back up again. Once I start something I have to finish it or give up on it before I can move on.

I normally would not read more than one book at a time, but since I started doing a book club with my friend I have. I am addicted to goodreads.com and I have many lists. I like to tick things off my lists so I thought since of mice and men was only 100 I would just read it over the wknd to get it out of the way, but unfortunately it ended up being more of a chore. :mad:
    The Count of Monte Cristo is a massive book so in fairness its going to take me ages as I am a very slow reader. I "paused" it so I could read the Hunger Games which I had been planning to read on my wk off for ages. Im glad I did.
    I have read a lot of books in the last few months that I felt I had to read or I would be missing out, Life of Pi for example. And the gas thing is, the books I have picked for book club I have actually disliked/hated. But then again, I read Dangerous Liaisons for the Light House book club, I would never have picked that up my self and I loved it! :D

And THEN there are all the books I would love to read again like the Hobbit etc. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the long post.

I always have a few books on the go depending on what I feel in the mood to read. Usually there's a novel (or two), a book with short stories (like Dorothy Parker's stuff, or Edgar Allan Poe etc) and a book of poetry. :)

Maybe it's just me then. I'm easily distracted so I need to focus on one at a time. I use Goodreads too and I notice a lot of people do seem to have more than one on the go at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

After looking for some recommendations I found Trinity by Leon Uris in my local charity shop today. Turns out my sister read it about 35 years ago and she highly recommended it. Its really long though!! Almost 900 pages; the smell of must may overpower me before I get near the end!

I also bought The Dinner by Herman Koch, it seems to be on a lot of peoples top tens.

I downloaded Alice in Wonderland, Wuthering Heights and Ulysses to the kindle for the holidays, I'm thinking I may need to extend my stay!

I downloaded Alice in

I also bought The Dinner by Herman Koch, it seems to be on a lot of peoples top tens.

I downloaded Alice in Wonderland, Wuthering Heights and Ulysses to the kindle for the holidays, I'm thinking I may need to extend my stay!

I went to London last December and I must have seen as many copies of The Diner as I did Fifty Shades of Grey in the airport lounge, on the plane, on the train, at bus stops, in my hotel. Everyone was reading it.

Wuthering Heights is one of my favourite books. It's quite a surprise if you think you know what it's about based on the soppy film versions that have been made :eek:

Wuthering Heights is fantastic, I'm thinking I'll read it again around Christmas timel. And I have to say Alice in Wonderland is one of my all time favourite books.
    I never heard of The Diner though. I must look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

There are a few books I can dip in and out of (old favourites I've read many times) if I've got nothing new to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Maybe it's just me then. I'm easily distracted so I need to focus on one at a time. I use Goodreads too and I notice a lot of people do seem to have more than one on the go at a time.
    I can't read more than one book at a time, you're not alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I can't read more than one book at a time, you're not alone!

Whilst I've never read two novels concurrently I always like to have a short stories collection on the go. I find that if I'm getting bogged down in a long/dense book it's nice to read a short, self contained piece, kind of like a literary pallet cleanser. At the moment I'm making my way through Gogol and Garcia Marquez short story collections alongside novels.

Just finished The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. Enjoyable, I preferred his philosophical musings to the characters though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Currently trying to finish D Day by Antony Beevor. I'm finding it tough going - not as immediate as Stalingrad or Berlin. As with those books, I'm getting lost in numbered Battalions, Regiments, Units, Divisions, etc. The first few chapters deal with D-Day itself and the fascinating sequence of events of that invasion. I would have liked to read about the planning and lead up to those events, maybe starting from the retreat from Dunkirk. The bulk of this book deals with the steady progress of the allies spreading from NW France and while it is a very important historical event, there's not much variety in the descriptive passages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Bought Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and Alissa Nutting's Tampa yesterday. Haven't decided which to read first yet.

I also registered for this year's college modules, and the Lit one is "Literature of the 17th Century."

Going to be an interesting year, reading-wise so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Desperadoes by Joseph O Connor

Finished "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry". It was a bit meh, to be honest. I struggled to finish it as much as Harold struggled to finish his walk. The dog was my favourite character.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Reading Inferno by Dan Brown currently, I've read all his past novels and this one dosen't disappoint either. Very good book.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Bought Daphne Du Maurier's Rebecca and Alissa Nutting's Tampa yesterday. Haven't decided which to read first yet.

I also registered for this year's college modules, and the Lit one is "Literature of the 17th Century."

Going to be an interesting year, reading-wise so.

Read Rebecca!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started Stephen King's 11/22/63.

Only 2 chapters in but it's started off really good!!

Started Stephen King's 11/22/63.

Only 2 chapters in but it's started off really good!!

Brilliant book - hope you enjoy it.

I've finished The Daughters of Mars - excellent about two Australian military nurses in WW1, loads of detail of injuries and treatments. Like it a lot.

Next I'm going to read The Dinner by Herman Koch ... heard a lot about this book - just hope it's as good as the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Started The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, it's the second in the Maze Runner series. Anyone else read them? I love them!!

Finished Rebecca this morning. What an abrupt ending. Am I the only person who found the narrator supremely irritating?

Started Tampa earlier. I'm four chapters in and it's already viscerally sexual. It's going to make a lot of readers extremely uncomfortable, I think. I'm very tempted to give it to my brothers when I'm done, after having an extremely depressing conversation with them about female sexuality last night, which grew out of discussion of the incident at a concert last weekend that we're not allowed mention.

Finished Rebecca this morning. What an abrupt ending. Am I the only person who found the narrator supremely irritating.

I do think she got a bit irritating towards the end but over all I really loved the story, I couldn't put it down. What did you think of it over all though?
    Planning to read My Cousin Rachel next. I saw the play last year in the Gate and I was totally blown away.

Finished The Dinner by Herman Koch - intriguing read.

This morning I started Attachment by Isabel Fonseca

I do think she got a bit irritating towards the end but over all I rest loved the story, I couldn't put it down. What did you think of it over all though?

I enjoyed it, but I was expecting much more of a ghost story, possibly because of the huge influence it had on Stephen King's Bag of Bones, which is a classic "haunted house" yarn.

I also identified far more with Rebecca than I did with the narrator. There were so many times that I went "Ah would you cop on!" that it kind of pulled me out of the story a bit.

I'll read it again in a few months and see what I think then. I find I tend to get a lot more out of second readings than I do the first one.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed it, but I was expecting much more of a ghost story, possibly because of the huge influence it had on Stephen King's Bag of Bones, which is a classic "haunted house" yarn.

I also identified far more with Rebecca than I did with the narrator. There were so many times that I went "Ah would you cop on!" that it kind of pulled me out of the story a bit.

I'll read it again in a few months and see what I think then. I find I tend to get a lot more out of second readings than I do the first one.

I know what you mean, sometimes you just wanted to shake her and wonder what me man saw in her at all. :D

By the way I am really liking the Count of Monte Cristo!

Advertisement