Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Slattsy wrote: »
    This is one weird/****ed up book - but sweet baby Allah its class so far :D

I found the Master and Margarita one of the most difficult books to read EVER! I liked the part set back when the Romans ruled but, gawd almighty I struggled with the rest. Glad you like it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Halfway through the Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. I've been debating since the first few chapters whether I should stop or not. I don't know where to begin to describe how poor it is in every way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished Turn of the Screw, which I really enjoyed.

Just about to start Animal Farm by George Orwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Just about to start Animal Farm by George Orwell.

Ugh! That book gave me nightmares! I haven't been able to look at pigs in the same way again :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I finished Jeanette Winterson's Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal. The first three-quarters us particularly strong. Her prose is so striking, Biblical, dark but scabrously funny. Anyone who enjoyed Oranges are not the Only Fruit will love this too.

Now reading Proust was a Neuroscientist. Full of fascinating titbits about how the brain works and the artists who anticipated it. One of those books that makes you annoy everyone by around you by making you lean over with a "Here, listen to this .." every five minutes :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm reading North and South (Gaskell) and it's okay so far.
    Mr. Thornton just confessed his love to Margaret but it's almost like it's come out of nowhere. I was as surprised by it as Margaret was. She's done nothing but annoy him up until now and yet he loves her?

I'm reading North and South (Gaskell) and it's okay so far.
    Mr. Thornton just confessed his love to Margaret but it's almost like it's come out of nowhere. I was as surprised by it as Margaret was. She's done nothing but annoy him up until now and yet he loves her?

Ya, I vaguely remember that, its been so long since I read it.

SarahBM wrote: »
    Ya, I vaguely remember that, its been so long since I read it.

It just seems a bit sudden even for this era. He's remarked on her beauty before but otherwise she's been a right pain in the bum. I shall read on and see if it makes any more sense.

That said I am quite enjoying it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Currently reading Moby Dick, and loving it. It's.... just fantastic. Better than I had hoped actually. I'm about half way through at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Just finished The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts by John Mitchell - A Memoir
    An amazing story of a childhood lived in 1960s, a family falling apart and the specter of mental illness. It is superbly written and the voice of the child is superbly maintained throughout. A disturbing but brilliant read.

Now I must get back to finishing Wolf Totem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

[-0-] wrote: »
    Currently reading Moby Dick, and loving it. It's.... just fantastic. Better than I had hoped actually. I'm about half way through at this point.

I would be interested to hear what it is you liked about this book?

I read it and thought it was the biggest load of rubbish. I really struggled to finish it. The long-winded descriptions of whaling techniques nearly broke my heart. I'm always pleasantly surprised when someone else has a completely different opinion of a book than myself. Brings it home that everyones opinion of each book is subjective.

If the book consisted of the first and last chapters with everything else in between left out I think it would improve it by at least 500% :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've been reading My Fathers Tears, a book of short stories by John Updike. Very interesting. What I particularly like is as follows.......it was Updikes last book, written maybe five years ago when he was around 78 or so. He died three years ago. It reminds me in ways of Memoir by John McGahern, where he delves back into his childhood in particular and his formative years. While the short stories are fictional, they read in someways as a memoir to me. And it is very interesting to read stories set in the 1930s or 1940s, written in the age of google and ipads and so on, by someone who grew up then and has seen everything that has happened since. It was a reminder that technology and possessions are an irrelevance when you are looking back over your life.

Separate point - I have been getting more into short stories - I love a good short story; but outside of Irish writers and collections, there is very little to choose from in our libraries or book shops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I'm reading The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. Love it so far. I really enjoyed Oryx and Crake and The Handmaid's Tale, so I'm looking forward to reading more by her

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I've been reading My Fathers Tears, a book of short stories by John Updike. Very interesting. What I particularly like is as follows.......it was Updikes last book, written maybe five years ago when he was around 78 or so. He died three years ago. It reminds me in ways of Memoir by John McGahern, where he delves back into his childhood in particular and his formative years. While the short stories are fictional, they read in someways as a memoir to me. And it is very interesting to read stories set in the 1930s or 1940s, written in the age of google and ipads and so on, by someone who grew up then and has seen everything that has happened since. It was a reminder that technology and possessions are an irrelevance when you are looking back over your life.

Separate point - I have been getting more into short stories - I love a good short story; but outside of Irish writers and collections, there is very little to choose from in our libraries or book shops.

I go through short story phases too - have you read any of Joyce Carol Oates? The Female of the Species, The Museum of Dr Moses and Give Me Your Heart I found superb. Also Bernhard Schlink's Flights of Love and Kate Atkinson's Not the End of the World are superb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Finished Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick. The 2nd novel of his I have read and both now feel a bit "meh". Sci-fi generally isn't one of particular likings so that doesn't help but even his style of writing was poor, in my opinion.

I've started Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carrè. Settling into it very nicely indeed, I can tell I'm going to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Aenaes wrote: »
    Finished Dr. Bloodmoney by Philip K. Dick. The 2nd novel of his I have read and both now feel a bit "meh". Sci-fi generally isn't one of particular likings so that doesn't help but even his style of writing was poor, in my opinion.

Dr. Bloodmoney isn't one of his best works. What was the other of his novels you've read?

It was Martian Time-Slip, I found myself wanting to get through it just as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

It was Martian Time-Slip, I found myself wanting to get through it just as quickly as possible.

Would recommend a collection of his stories instead. They are much more focused than his novels, which tend to be harum-scarum.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sammy Jennings

Staring at Lakes by Michael Harding

Don't think I can finish this one.

Dont blame you!

Used to read his columns before realising they were all the same. "I made eye contact with a woman. We have lost our way as a society. Why does it hurt when I p***."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Ah, one of the few I haven't read. His work is quite erratic though, some of it is absolutely fantastic, and some of it is sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Finally finished The Tommyknockers last night. Even my sister commented that she has never seen me take so long to read a King novel. By far the weakest work of his I've ever read. And I've read almost everything he's published.

Back to The Mammoth Book of Zombies, which was also disappointing me before I abandoned it in favour of Monsieur King.

Finished Wolf Totem - a great read but gruesome and cruel in parts. I'll never think of a wolf the same again.

Next for me is Winter of the World by Ken Follett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I'd really recommend Roald Dahl's collection of short stories if that's the case. It's a pretty big book and there are lots of wonderful stories to dip into.Although better known for his work for children, these are for adults and you will enjoy them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

John Connolly also has a good collection of short stories called "Nocturnes".

Stephen King has oodles of anthologies. If I had to pick just one, I'd go for "Nightmares and Dreamscapes".

Plus one on whoever mentioned Joyce Carol Oates. Or, if you like sci-fi "Songs of a Dying Earth" is a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just started Godspeaker by Karen Miller. So far so good. Hopefully the rest of the series is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Merkin wrote: »
    I'd really recommend Roald Dahl's collection of short stories if that's the case. It's a pretty big book and there are lots of wonderful stories to dip into.Although better known for his work for children, these are for adults and you will enjoy them!
    Great suggestion. Dahl's short stories are deliciously grotesque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Honey-ec wrote: »
    John Connolly also has a good collection of short stories called "Nocturnes".

Stephen King has oodles of anthologies. If I had to pick just one, I'd go for "Nightmares and Dreamscapes".

Plus one on whoever mentioned Joyce Carol Oates. Or, if you like sci-fi "Songs of a Dying Earth" is a good one.

I have read Nocturnes as well and enjoyed it as I have all his novels.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Miss Mayhem

Still Missing by Chevy Stevens. Chilling, terrifying novel. Loosely based on the kidnap and murder of Lindsay Buziak in Canada in 2008.

Just finished North and South and I have to say I was not impressed.

I liked the characters and I found myself reading large chunks of it at a time but overall the development of the romantic plot seemed very poor to me.

[spoilers] Margaret's a snooty cow to Mr. Thornton so he decides overnight he loves her. She's having none of it so he ignores her for long enough. Everyone she knows dies and suddenly she loves him too. The end. [/spoilers]

Maybe I need more time to think about it but yeah... not impressed.

Just finished North and South and I have to say I was not impressed.

I liked the characters and I found myself reading large chunks of it at a time but overall the development of the romantic plot seemed very poor to me.

[spoilers] Margaret's a snooty cow to Mr. Thornton so he decides overnight he loves her. She's having none of it so he ignores her for long enough. Everyone she knows dies and suddenly she loves him too. The end. [/spoilers]

Maybe I need more time to think about it but yeah... not impressed.

wow, I think that is a pretty cynical take on the whole love story.
    I dont think she fell in love with Thornton over night, or him with her. I think it just took them both a while to realise it because they were both so stubborn.
    But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D

Im still on the Count of Monte Cristo. I should be half way through by the wknd. I am finding it hard to get the time to sit down and get a good run at it. Not enough hours in the day dammit. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

wow, I think that is a pretty cynical take on the whole love story.
    I dont think she fell in love with Thornton over night, or him with her. I think it just took them both a while to realise it because they were both so stubborn.
    But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :D

Well, like I said maybe I need to stew on it a while. I'm going to watch the BBC mini series and see if it sheds any more light on it for me. (also to swoon at Richard Armitage) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Finally finished The Tommyknockers last night. Even my sister commented that she has never seen me take so long to read a King novel. By far the weakest work of his I've ever read. And I've read almost everything he's published.

Back to The Mammoth Book of Zombies, which was also disappointing me before I abandoned it in favour of Monsieur King.
    I agree, I've never actually managed to finish it, despite starting it several times.
    Callan57 wrote: »
    Finished Wolf Totem - a great read but gruesome and cruel in parts. I'll never think of a wolf the same again.

Next for me is Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Don't do it! It's absolutely rubbish (and I really enjoyed Fall of Giants) It's so badly written and has such a huge amount of un-neccesary padding. It reads like he had a certain amount of pages to write and just filled half of them with rubbish. The characters are total cardboard cutouts, I nearly threw it across the room several times (except I didn't want to break my Kindle over such a rubbish book :D)

I'm just back from my holidays, so read a few books.

I am Pilgrim - Terry Hayes - I enjoyed this, it has a bit of a 'written for screenplay' vibe about it - and in fact the author is a screenwriter - this is his first novel - also it has a supplementary story which I felt was a bit superfluous, although he may be setting it up for a sequel. Overall it's a good solid read.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce - I enjoyed this, I would say it's very good and almost great. I can't put my finger on why I would give this 4 stars instead of 5, I think it's because the character of Harold and his wife were slightly frustrating. Harold was a walkover with everyone he met and I found myself getting annoyed by him.

Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn - Again, another one with 'movie' written all over it. I felt it was pretty poor. The idea was quite good, but the execution wasn't. I just found both the main characters completely unbelievable.

Currently reading The Universe Versus Alex Wood. Enjoying it so far, but finding it hard to get a good run at reading it, seem to be reading a chapter here and there.

ncmc wrote: »
    The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry - Rachel Joyce - I enjoyed this, I would say it's very good and almost great. I can't put my finger on why I would give this 4 stars instead of 5, I think it's because the character of Harold and his wife were slightly frustrating. Harold was a walkover with everyone he met and I found myself getting annoyed by him.

I enjoyed Harold Fry for the first third of the book, maybe. Then it just got a bit repetitive and I was bored by the end of it.

I enjoyed Harold Fry for the first third of the book, maybe. Then it just got a bit repetitive and I was bored by the end of it.
    Yes, I think that was it. Once all the followers started walking with him, I got bored. I was shouting at the book "would you just ever tell them to f*ck off!"

ncmc wrote: »
    Yes, I think that was it. Once all the followers started walking with him, I got bored. I was shouting at the book "would you just ever tell them to f*ck off!"

I admit I was sad when
    the dog left him
    but other than that they were a pain.

I admit I was sad when
    the dog left him
    but other than that they were a pain.
    Me too! I almost cried at that bit yet didn't when
    Queenie died or it was revealed his son was dead
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I'm reading Susan Cain's Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can't Stop Talking.

It's really good, highly enlightening and identifiable for anyone of a shyer disposition. I feel like I've learned a little about myself and others and it's given me a lot to think about, careerwise.

Making my way through Winter of the World but I needed something with less physical weight as I was on the move today.
    So I picked off my shelf Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton which I have been intending to read for a long time. Liking it a lot so far. :)

So I finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Pretty good, gonna check out the TV series and film versions soon. I also have to read some more le Carrè's work.

Now on to Jospeh Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I go through short story phases too - have you read any of Joyce Carol Oates? The Female of the Species, The Museum of Dr Moses and Give Me Your Heart I found superb. Also Bernhard Schlink's Flights of Love and Kate Atkinson's Not the End of the World are superb.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've only read her in anthologies but will look out for those titles.

• Advertisement

Finished Animal Farm a couple of days ago. It isn't a a feel good book by any means, but it is interesting and very political. Glad I read it but doubt I'll read it again.

Have just started 'Fanny Hill: Memoirs of a Woman of Pleasure' by John Cleland.

I've started Persuasion by Jane Austen.

I've run out of books and found it lying in a box in the shed, so why not? I'd been thinking I should read a few more of the "classics" anyway, so good timing.

I've started Persuasion by Jane Austen.

I've run out of books and found it lying in a box in the shed, so why not? I'd been thinking I should read a few more of the "classics" anyway, so good timing.

I love Austen and Persuasion is by far my favourite. Pride and Prejudice is very good, quiet funny.

If you want to read more classics, Tess of D'Urbervilles is good. Rebecca is another I would highly recommend. Out of curiosity, what else was in the box?

I love Austen and Persuasion is by far my favourite. Pride and Prejudice is very good, quiet funny.

If you want to read more classics, Tess of D'Urbervilles is good. Rebecca is another I would highly recommend. Out of curiosity, what else was in the box?

That proves you are a true book addict :)

That proves you are a true book addict :)

My TO READ pile is getting so big. I wish I was a faster reader so I could read more. There just are not enough hours in the day. :D

I have hit the half way mark in the Count of Monte Cristo. The print is so small :(

It wasn't all books but there was a few Austen's in it. Mansfield Park, Sense & Sensibility and my personal favourite, Emma. I'm not sure if I've read S&S or just seen the film. Emma I've read about 10 times :)

Wuthering Heights was there too and a few Dickens' too. Most of them I've read but they've been in the shed for quite a few years so I might give a few of them a re read.

I was thinking of adding Far From the Madding Crowd to my list too. I read the other day that they're making a new film version of it so I thought I should give it a read before it comes out so I can moan about how it's not as good as the book :)

It wasn't all books but there was a few Austen's in it. Mansfield Park, Sense & Sensibility and my personal favourite, Emma. I'm not sure if I've read S&S or just seen the film. Emma I've read about 10 times :)

Wuthering Heights was there too and a few Dickens' too. Most of them I've read but they've been in the shed for quite a few years so I might give a few of them a re read.

I have a lot of Austen's books, but have only read Pride and Prejudice and Emma so far. Really liked P+p, but absolutely loved Emma.

I have a lot of Austen's books, but have only read Pride and Prejudice and Emma so far. Really liked P+p, but absolutely loved Emma.

Emma is one of my all time favourite books by any author. I also love Clueless, which is based on it, and the most recent BBC adaptation of it was pretty much perfect. One of the rare cases of the "film" being as good as the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Currently reading All the President's Men. Absolutely brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Just finished Strumpet City, had never read it before. Terrific read. Odd that RTE didn't re-run their TV adaptation this year given it's the Lockout centenary -maybe they wiped the tapes! Am now half-way through 'Comanche Moon', Larry McMurtry's prequel to 'Lonesome Dove' which is enjoyable but a bit patchy compared to 'Dove'.

Advertisement