Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That made me laugh. Not sure what you were expecting :p

Well take Great Expectations for example. You could argue it's the life and times of Pip Pirrup but it's quite an interesting life and you get caught up in it. Nickleby just seems to be his literal life story with all the unnecessary bits included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I just read The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers. Very powerful story about the effect of war on a soldier, in this case the American invasion of Iraq. A bit bleak and hard to read at times but the writing was poetic. Cormac McCarthyesque I might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Half way through Bleak House at the minute and really struggling to find a reason to keep reading it! Am I missing something as loads of people recommended it to me :confused:

That's a tough one all right.
    Why is everyone here reading such depressing books at the moment?

Callan57 wrote: »
    That's a tough one all right.

Is it the weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdm5oU2AWBCWisYAH0Bh3n3meJpG0SyxwYcgOGj2bpZxuts7LERGmgaAMw

I'm nearly finished Blood Meridian. It's going alright, not really fond of the way it's written and the lack of quotation marks are annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Well take Great Expectations for example. You could argue it's the life and times of Pip Pirrup but it's quite an interesting life and you get caught up in it. Nickleby just seems to be his literal life story with all the unnecessary bits included.

That's how I felt about David Copperfield. Overly long and often rather dull at times.

Half way through Bleak House at the minute and really struggling to find a reason to keep reading it! Am I missing something as loads of people recommended it to me :confused:
    Oh no, really? I love that book!

I can highly recommend the recent BBC miniseries though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I have never read Dickins and I dont really want to, to be honest. and the posts above are not changing my mind :)

SarahBM wrote: »
    I have never read Dickins and I dont really want to, to be honest. and the posts above are not changing my mind :)

Great Expectations is pretty amazing, in my opinion. Not that depressing really.... maybe.

• Advertisement

Great Expectations is pretty amazing, in my opinion. Not that depressing really.... maybe.

Ya, you see Im not a big fan of depressing stuff. I hated A Thousand Spendid Suns for Example. But I loved 1984, :rolleyes:

Im apprehensive about starting Misery. I dont think I will like Stephen King.

I am liking the Count of Monte Cristo but my gawd its taking me ages. and I am starting my masters so I will have even less time to read :(

Damn life getting in the way of my reading.

Sidebar - I heard John Connolly on the radio with Matt Cooper last wk. I really liked him plus I was impressed that he says he reads a book a wk! But he something along the lines that there is no point wasting time reading a bad book. How many of ye would give up on a book if you were not enjoying it?
    I feel obliged to finish a book even if I dont like it. Dont know why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Our Mutual Friend is also rather good.

Sidebar - I heard John Connolly on the radio with Matt Cooper last wk. I really liked him plus I was impressed that he says he reads a book a wk! But he something along the lines that there is no point wasting time reading a bad book. How many of ye would give up on a book if you were not enjoying it?

I don't like to quit a book, I won't be defeated by paper! However... Madame Bovary really tried my will and also Shall We Gather at The River.

I don't like to quit a book, I won't be defeated by paper! However... Madame Bovary really tried my will and also Shall We Gather at The River.

note to self, dont read them! :D

I gave up on Gone With The Wind and Doctor Zhivago. I just couldnt hack it, but I do plan to go back and read them again.
    I should be reading lecture notes and journals right now, but no, I am here discussing books. Maybe I should have done a Masters in English instead, I would get to read for homework then :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

note to self, dont read them! :D

I gave up on Gone With The Wind and Doctor Zhivago. I just couldnt hack it, but I do plan to go back and read them again.

Gone with the Wind is one of my favourites of all time :eek: - but then I do like historical novels - can really immerse myself in the period. Never tried Doctor Zhivago.

Gone with the Wind is one of my favourites of all time :eek: - but then I do like historical novels - can really immerse myself in the period. Never tried Doctor Zhivago.

I've never got around to reading Gone with the Wind but I loved Dr Zhivago - very different to the movie IMO

• Advertisement

I've never got around to reading Gone with the Wind but I loved Dr Zhivago - very different to the movie IMO

Have never seen the movie either so I'm a blank canvas - might have a go at it soon - is it easy to read or tough going??

Have never seen the movie either so I'm a blank canvas - might have a go at it soon - is it easy to read or tough going??

I'd heard a lot of people say that but in honesty I didn't have a problem reading it ... but then I love Anna Karenina & War and Peace so I'm not exactly impartial. :)

I'd heard a lot of people say that but in honesty I didn't have a problem reading it ... but then I love Anna Karenina & War and Peace so I'm not exactly impartial. :)

Good stuff - Anna Karenina is definitely in my top ten of all time so not an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Saorenza

I love Gone With The Wind. I give up on books all the time; some I come back to, others I don't.

I am reading At Home by Bill Bryson at the moment; nice antidote to all the language shift stuff I had to read for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I used never give up on books but I've come around. Nearly always finish them but there have been a few I couldn't be bothered to keep going with.

I gave up on Madame Bovary aswell, could not get into it at all. Painful bloody book.

• Advertisement

To those of you who have read War and Peace and Anna Karenina - Fair play, I dont think I could even attempt them!

My best friend LOVES Gone with the Wind and she has read it about 3 or 4 times. I made her watch the film against her will (I love the film) and she hated it.
    I also loved the film of Doctor Zhivago, but I found the book very tough going. I think I find most things that have been translated from russian hard going. The Master and Margarita for example. Monte Cristo is easier than I thought it would be actually.

Give me Austen any day though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Billy de Bollix

Reading "fly fishing" by J.R.Hartly. boring as f**k but I want to get it read before they make a film about the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

I loved A Christmas Carol, but then I had to read Hard Times for my LC, and never, ever want to read Dickens again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Sidebar - I heard John Connolly on the radio with Matt Cooper last wk. But he something along the lines that there is no point wasting time reading a bad book. How many of ye would give up on a book if you were not enjoying it?

This only came up here a few weeks back. I used to feel obliged to finish any book I started. Not anymore, though. Life is too short to force yourself through books you're not enjoying when you could be reading something else. It was quite liberating when I let myself accept that not finishing a book wasn't a failure!

Anyway, in other news, got my reading list for this year's Lit module. So long, Reading for Pleasure, it's been a great summer :(

Hammond, Paul and David Hopkins (eds). 2007. Dryden: Selected Poems (Longman Annotated Poets Harlow: Pearson)

Lonsdale, Roger (ed.). 2009. The New Oxford Book of Eighteenth-Century Verse (Oxford: Oxford University Press)

Stephen Greenblatt (ed.). 2012. The Norton Anthology of English Literature, 9th edn, vol. 1 (New York: W. W. Norton and Co.).

Extract from John Dryden, Annus Mirabilis (1666)

Extract from James Thomson, To the Memory of Sir Isaac Newton (1727)

Ann Yearsley, To Mr. ****, an Unlettered Poet, on Genius Unimproved (1787)

John Milton, ‘L’Allegro’ (c. 1631); ‘Il Penseroso’ (c.1631); Lycidas (1638)

John Denham, Cooper’s Hill (1641)

Andrew Marvell, Upon Appleton House: To My Lord Fairfax (c.1654); ‘An Horatian Ode upon Cromwell’s Return from Ireland’ (1650)

John Milton, Areopagitica (1644)

John Milton, Paradise Lost (1667)

The book of Genesis from the Bible, chapters 1-3, King James’ Version.

JohnBunyan, The Pilgrim’s Progress, Part 1 (1678)

John Wilmot, Earl of Rochester, ‘The Imperfect Enjoyment’(c. 1680); ‘The Maimed Debauchee’ (c. 1675); ‘Upon Nothing’ (c. 1678)

Aphra Behn, ‘The Disappointment’ (c. 1680)

John Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel (1681); Mac Flecknoe(1676)

William Congreve, The Way of the World (1700)

Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock (1714 version)

Anne Finch, Countess of Winchilsea, ‘To the Nightingale’(1713); ‘A Nocturnal Reverie’ (1713)

Mary Barber, ‘Written for my Son, and Spoken by him at his first putting on Breeches’ (1731)

Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, Turkish Embassy Letters (1763)

Daniel Defoe, A Journal of the Plague Year (1722)

Jonathan Swift, A Short View of the Present State of Ireland(1727)

Jonathan Swift, A Modest Proposal (1729)

Samuel Richardson, Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded (1740)

Henry Fielding, Shamela (1741)

Henry Fielding, ‘Preface’ to Joseph Andrews (1742)

Laurence Sterne, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy,Gentleman (1759-67)

Henry Mackenzie, The Man of Feeling (1771)

Oliver Goldsmith, The Deserted Village (1770)

George Crabbe, The Village (1783), Book I

Horace Walpole, The Castle of Otranto (1764)

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Anyway, in other news, got my reading list for this year's Lit module. So long, Reading for Pleasure, it's been a great summer :(

Samuel Richardson, Pamela: Or, Virtue Rewarded (1740)
    Do yourself a favour and kill yourself now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

[/COLOR][/SIZE] Do yourself a favour and kill yourself now!

I nearly did when I initially got the list.

:mad:

that is some list. I'll just say best of luck with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

Two books since I last posted here:

The Notebook by Ágota Kristóf

The first in a series of three short novels following the story of a pair of twins, sent to live with their grandmother during wartime.
    This is written in an almost fairy tale manner, with really short sentences, two-page chapters and very plain, unflowery prose. Virtually none of the characters are named, instead they are known by a descriptive, e.g. The shoemaker, the officer etc. Even the country in which it is set and the ongoing war are not named, though both are easily deduced. The more shocking or violent passages are given the same flat-prose treatment as the mundane, leading to an unusual but highly satisfactory read. I look forward to reading the other two books. Disconcertingly, each of the three books has a different translator (from the original Hungarian) but hopefully the style will remain consistent.

Black Swan Green by David Mitchell

This is my third Mitchell book , after The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet and Ghostwritten, and Black Swan Green is quite different from those titles. This is a coming-of-age novel revolving around a thirteen year old named Jason Taylor. It's set in 1982 and has tonnes of references to the era, I would imagine that anyone who has grown up at that time (in Britain ideally but we had UK TV here then also) would get a nostalgic kick from these. I found this a solid, if unspectacular read. Interestingly there has been a Corkonian in all three of the Mitchell books I've read so far, he lived (lives?) in Cork so the dialect and slang are spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Finished Beckett's Molloy which was spellbinding from start to finish. Funny, profound and the most beautiful prose.

Now reading the beloved Roth's Everyman. It's a short 'un.

Finished Under A Blood Red Sky and enjoyed it a lot.

Now it's on to A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki - I've read good review of this so looking forward to it a lot.

• Advertisement

I really enjoyed a Tale For The Time Being.

I finished At Home by Bill Bryson last night. Enjoyed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Reading George Orwell's Diaries, introduction by Christopher Hitchens (written less than a month before he died).

To say to book is amazing would be an understatement. The hardship Orwell went through is impressive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Iain Banks final novel, The Quarry, was a wonderful book despite or because of it's unsentimental tale of terminal illness.
    I was also struck by the dedication - For all my friends, family and fans, with love - something that normally passes me by.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started reading 'Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln', so far it's REALLY good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Alan Partridge's autobiography - funniest thing i've ever read.
    Couldnt recommend it highly enough.

Also, if you dont like people looking at you on a bus/train then dont read it as it really is laugh out loud stuff.

Reading Contested Will by James Shaphiro - about the reasons people seek an alternative author/s for Shakespeare's works.

Don't seem to be able to read fiction at the moment though I have a big pile that I want to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Frank McGivney

My First Post here, I constantly reading, so great to find someplace with other readers. I just about finished "The testament of Mary" by colm Tobin which is so well written and thought provoking and I about a third of way through "A star called Henry" by roddy doyle which is such a brillant book i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

My First Post here, I constantly reading, so great to find someplace with other readers. I just about finished "The testament of Mary" by colm Tobin which is so well written and thought provoking and I about a third of way through "A star called Henry" by roddy doyle which is such a brillant book i think

I love Toibin's descriptions of the apostles as a bunch of ne'er do wells, it is a very interesting take on the most well known story of all.

I also loved A Star Called Henry, quite funny and also a good and fairly accurate historical yarn for those who wouldn't have a great deal of knowledge of that decade particularly now during the upcoming centenary celebrations.

I finished the Rwandan Cycling book "land of second chances" last night, excellent sports/human interest story. I bought the eamonn Dunphy book the other day so will probably start on that tonight but something else on my shelves might grab me instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭8mv

Currently re-reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak before the film comes out. I'd forgotten how good it is. The film trailer looks kind of ordinary - no mention of the books narrator - Death.

• Advertisement

8mv wrote: »
    Currently re-reading The Book Thief by Markus Zusak before the film comes out. I'd forgotten how good it is. The film trailer looks kind of ordinary - no mention of the books narrator - Death.

They left out the core of the story in that case :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Frank McGivney

I was talking to someone about the book thief yesterday, It sounds really good. I think Tobin really hits the mark with the way what was essentially the start of the early Christian church was manipulating things from the beginning
    Ah you man Roddy Doyle is so good. Laughing at 1 in the morning reading a book is always a good sign and its not just the funny bits the whole was he gets the stry out to you is so good

Just finished off A Tale For The Time Being by Ruth Ozeki.
    When I picked this one up I wasn't aware it was on the Booker Shortlist 2013 but I am not at all surprised, it's an amazing and original read. I enjoyed it immensly.

I have a book of short stories, The Pre-War House & Other Stories, which I want to get finished over the weekend hopefully.

I enjoyed A Tale For The Time Being very much too. It was so affecting I had to put it aside for a week or so (I was reading it not long after my mother died). I started Bryant and May and The Memory of Blood by Christopher Fowler yesterday. I wanted some silly fiction I curl up with and get in. Also I am going to London next weekend so I wanted a London based story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I've postponed Fanny Hill. It's grand, but I can't say it's a book I'm dying to continue reading.

Going to start 'Rosemary's Baby' now. Thought it would be appropriate for the season coming up.

I'm dying a death with Nicholas Nickleby still. If his life and times were as boring to live through as they are to read I think the book will end in mass suicide.

• Advertisement

I'm dying a death with Nicholas Nickleby still. If his life and times were as boring to live through as they are to read I think the book will end in mass suicide.

Feel the exact same about Bleak House at the minute - am persevering but just about - down to about 5 pages a day now.

Feel the exact same about Bleak House at the minute - am persevering but just about - down to about 5 pages a day now.

Mine's from the library and it has to be brought back on Tuesday. I can't bring myself to renew it but I don't want it to beat me either so I have 400 pages to get through in 2 days :eek:

Mine's from the library and it has to be brought back on Tuesday. I can't bring myself to renew it but I don't want it to beat me either so I have 400 pages to get through in 2 days :eek:

Rather you than me :D. I've finished 2 other books since picking up Bleak House - might finish another 4 before I do but will definitely finish Bleak House - I'm stubborn like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Can I recommend this to ye, my 7 year old daughter got it from the library the other day and really enjoyed Bleak House:p

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/book/1~FC~FC7~3848/illustrated-stories-from-dickens.aspx

Can I recommend this to ye, my 7 year old daughter got it from the library the other day and really enjoyed Bleak House:p

http://www.usborne.com/catalogue/book/1~FC~FC7~3848/illustrated-stories-from-dickens.aspx

In my house we just use the naughty step for punishment :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement