Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

^ I'm so annoyed at The Goldfinch that I haven't picked it up for 2 days. I turned the page to yet another massive time jump and I just lost it! I've never had such a strained relationship with a book before :)
    Annnd I just discovered Donna Tartt does her own editing. That explains A LOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Merkin wrote: »
    The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck

That could well be my favourite book ever, funnily enough Friday Night Lights is not far behind, that's been discussed on the last page also.

I've three books on the go at the moment, the new book by Paul Lynch (he wrote Red Sky at Night which I loved) called The Black Snow, i'm nearly finished and it's only so so but seems to be building towards a big finish.
    I'm also reading The Sports Gene, a fascinating if a little heavy at times Sports/Science book which delves into the theory that some people/races/tribes/individuals with unique genetic gifts are simply born to excel at certain sports, some fantastic anecdotes, well worth reading for sports fans.
    Also One on One, a memoir of sorts from one of the worlds greatest ever sportswriters John Feinstein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished The Portrait Of A Lady by Henry James. It took me a month, give or take a couple of days which is an unusually long time for me.

The book is long-winded, beautifully and difficultly written and begins very slowly with nothing much happening. However, the characters are quite nicely introduced and understood because of this. I can't seem to say it's good or bad, I certainly don't feel it's a great piece of literature. It almost feels a bit dated and hasn't stood the test of time as other books have.
    He seems like a great author and I hope to read more of his work, hopefully where the story interests me more.

On to Surviving The Sword : Prisoners of the Japanese 1942-45 by Brian MacArthur. Only read the introduction so far but probably going to be a harrowing read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. It was an interesting take on WW11/Holocaust fiction, written from the perspective of the Germans who weren't Jewish, mostly women. The book has it's faults & the narrative is a bit disjointed at times, Blum made great leaps in time without tying up some loose ends and the ending is contrived but overall an interesting story.

On to Donal Ryan's The Spinning Heart now.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

school distracted me for a bit but i finally finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, what an excellent book, didn't want to finish it. Back to concentrating on Human Traces. Not really feeling this book anymore, a lot of medical jargon and jumping forward in the story but I never leave a book unfinished, it's my personal policy :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Finally finished The Goldfinch. For a book whose main message seemed to be "Life is short...." I was left with the distinct feeling that I has wasted a large chunk of that short life wading through this.

Finished The Spinning Heart and after all the hype and awards it received I feel I should be apologising for not liking it.

It was tedious to keep track of so many characters and who they were related to. I didn't engage with any of them and found, because of the style of writing they weren't developed enough. They were too stereotypically "stage Irish" for my liking - drinking, sex-driven, foulmouthed and foolish, typical Irish gombeen.

Oh well, horses for courses I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Finished The Spinning Heart and after all the hype and awards it received I feel I should be apologising for not liking it.

It was tedious to keep track of so many characters and who they were related to. I didn't engage with any of them and found, because of the style of writing they weren't developed enough. They were too stereotypically "stage Irish" for my liking - drinking, sex-driven, foulmouthed and foolish, typical Irish gombeen.

Oh well, horses for courses I guess.

Anyone I have spoken to who has read it thought it was very poor. a workmate said she thought it was just very badly written. Definitely not on my to read list.

Have to say Im loving Dracula. Only about half way through because of college work getting in the way, but its very good.

Burial Rites by Hannah Kent

Set in Iceland in 1829 a young woman is sentenced to death for her part in the murder of two men. While her case is sent to Denmark to be ruled on by the King (I guess this was the done thing back then?) she is sent to live on a rural farm with one of the district officers and his family.

According to Goodreads I'm 20% into it and I like it so far. It's got a very simple writing style, it was a bit jarring at first having just read The Goldfinch which took about half a page to say it was raining out.... but after a few pages I got into the rhythm of it and it's kept me turning the pages.

Set in Iceland in 1829 a young woman is sentenced to death for her part in the murder of two men. While her case is sent to Denmark to be ruled on by the King (I guess this was the done thing back then?)

Just looked it up, there was a High Court between 1800-1845, presided over by 3 judges and was the court of highest instance in the country.
    It seems the judgement was sent to the King to approve or veto.

• Advertisement

Aenaes wrote: »
    Just looked it up, there was a High Court between 1800-1845, presided over by 3 judges and was the court of highest instance in the country.
    It seems the judgement was sent to the King to approve or veto.

I never even knew Iceland belonged to Denmark at one point. I was going to look up the history but as it's based on a true story I didn't want to risk spoiling anything..... which I still managed to do when I looked up the author. Doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Set in Iceland in 1829 a young woman is sentenced to death for her part in the murder of two men. While her case is sent to Denmark to be ruled on by the King (I guess this was the done thing back then?) she is sent to live on a rural farm with one of the district officers and his family.

According to Goodreads I'm 20% into it and I like it so far. It's got a very simple writing style, it was a bit jarring at first having just read The Goldfinch which took about half a page to say it was raining out.... but after a few pages I got into the rhythm of it and it's kept me turning the pages.
    loved this book very different. Its Hannah Kents first book can't wait to read more by her, by far the best book I read last year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Requiem for a Dream Huberyt Selby Jr

Finished this during the week, it's a very powerful book,
    not a whole lot of redemption for any of the main characters by the end of the novel.

Very engaging and it kind of stays with you for a few days afterwards, I must seek out the movie,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Currently on an Arthur C Clarke binge. Rendezvous with Rama was first, which was amazing, then The City and the Stars, which was good, but also went off the handles towards the end, and now I'm reading Childhood's End.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Childhoods End is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Finished 'Charle Wilson's War' by George Crile a few days ago.

Good read on the importance of a single congressman (Wilson) and the central role e played in the escalation of the Afghan-Soviet war in the 1980s.
    Highlights the benefit of being on the board of certain cub-committees when you want to influence American policy, Wilson was well placed in all committees that made decisions on how US funds were spent abroad.

Te book also gives an insight into the world of the CIA as it details Wilson's relationship with Gust Avrakotos, the CIA agent who at one time was in charge of the middle east.

I havn't seen the film, so I've no idea as to how close that is to the book.

Started 'Year 501' by Noam Comsky yesterday, my first venture into is writings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Finished "A girl is a half formed thing". Pretty bleak story but I really like the way it was written (in a sort of stream of conciousness way).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Just finished the last part of the Lord of the Rings- the Return of the King. Have read all three over the past month or so. Quite enjoyed them, especially the Fellowship of the Ring, but thought that Tolkien went a bit too academic at the end, and the speech of his characters somewhat stilted in a "high-epic" kind of way. Still, an enjoyable, and quite often beautiful read.

Now to the bookshop for more reading!!

Finished Burial Rites last night. Excellent book. I've only read 5 books so far this year but it's easily the best of those 5.

Usually I hate when books jump between perspectives or narrators or have flashbacks and all that kind of stuff but Burial Rites is proof that if it's done right it works and it's seamlessly done here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Finished 'One More Thing' which is a collection of short stories by B.J. Novak. Overall, I liked it but felt that some stories were a bit hit and miss, which is often the case with collections I suppose.

Started 'We Need New Names' by Noviolet Bulawayo. I like it so far but her style takes a bit of getting used to.
    Next on the list are Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer. Have The Goldfinch and The Luminaries lined up for the next time I've a couple of weeks off work!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Next on the list are Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie and The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer.

Please post after you've finished americanah, I just bought it a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to reading it!

I too would be interested in your opinion of Americanah. Nearly bought it but decided to hold off for some readers' reviews.

I've just finished Snow White Must Die by German author Nele Neuhaus. It's book four in a series featuring detectives Pia Kirchoff and Oliver von Bodenstein. It's the first to be translated into English.

Not a bad read, lots of twists and turns. The two main characters are well developed and have an interesting relationship. The subject of the book is a now thirty year old who has spent 10 years in prison for the murder of two girls in a small rural town. He is a naive individual and unprepared for life outside prison.

Hope the other books in the series get translated as worth a read.

On to Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I finished the Lies of Locke Lamora last night, absolutely adored it. I haven't enjoyed a book this much in a good while. I must order the rest of the trilogy.

In the meantime I'm going to read the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm only a few chapters in but I'm already enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

Finished A Confederacy of Dunces and really enjoyed it. Now reading a Stephen King for the first time in 20 yrs, Black House.

I still have The Goldfinch on the go in parallel. I love her writing, but the story is developing at a snail's pace. It's inferior to her other books in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Browsing in a bookshop this morning I spotted a new book by Sebastian Barry, couldn't resist buying it straight away. I've loved all his recent books and A long long way is one of my favourite Irish books ever.
    The new book is called A temporary gentleman. I'll have to finish I am Zlatan first but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it in a few days.
    I believe Joseph O'Connor has a book coming out soon also, another one to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Browsing in a bookshop this morning I spotted a new book by Sebastian Barry, couldn't resist buying it straight away. I've loved all his recent books and A long long way is one of my favourite Irish books ever.
    The new book is called A temporary gentleman. I'll have to finish I am Zlatan first but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it in a few days.
    I believe Joseph O'Connor has a book coming out soon also, another one to look forward to.

Another Sebastian Barry fan here - love to hear what you think of the new one in due course

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I have started Crooked Letter, Crocked Letter by Tom Franklin. As recommended by bridge street books wicklow ( they have never let me down on recommendations)

Today I finished The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates and a book of seven short stories, Summer Lies by Bernhard Schlink ... both superb and gripping reads.

Next is I Am The Messenger by Markus Zusak (author of The Book Thief) looking forward to it

finished Dracula. Very good read, I really like the the letter/journal style of writing.

Next is My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier. I saw this play in the Gate year before last, and it was amazing, so I am really looking forward to reading the book.

Going to see An Ideal Husbund (by Oscar Wilde) next month. I love his plays. I read this a while ago, Im hoping seeing it on stage will let me enjoy it more. Wilde was an amazing writer.

Finished Roll of Thunder. It was enjoyable enough but didn't stand out like How to Kill a Mockingbird.

Starting The Husband's Secret, need something light and frivolous now.

• Advertisement

Am re-reading (kind of) Lorna Doone by RD Blackmore.

I was 100% sure I'd read this book when I was a kid. The other week my friend was talking about how she was struggling with it because it's soooooo long. I laughed in her face and told her she must be dumb because I read the whole thing when I was like 10 or something. I'll prove it, I said, I still have it in a box at home. I rooted it out and there on the cover, under the title, were the giant words "Children's Abridged Version". It's basically a very short child friendly version of the book. Needless to say I was a tad embarrassed and have now had to get the proper version and try to get through all 680 pages of it. :(

Anyway... it's okay so far, he does go off on some tangents in the first few chapters but it's getting into the meat of it now.

I'm 50 pages into My Cousin Rachel, really liking it so far.
    Read Love and Friendship by Jane Auste. An 80 page laugh, the giggling ridiculous young ladies prone to fainting fits that Austen writes about. Just ridiculous. early drafts of characters like Lydia Bennet and Lady Catherine de Burgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Finished We Need New Names and have had to pick up something lighter as a palette cleanser. I had wanted to start Americanah straight away but was so devastated by WNNN that I need to keep it light for a while. Am about halfway through Shotgun Lovesongs by Nickolas Butler and then on to The Interestings and The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. Then hopefully back to Americanah!

Just starting The Absolutist by John Boyne

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Started Step on a crack by James Patterson. Enjoyable enough so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Just started the Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I can't believe I haven't read this before. So far, so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sleepie

Hi all book lovers,

I have just joined this thread. I love reading and everything about books.

Does anyone know of a bookclub in Kilkenny? Or is interested in starting/joining one?!

I have just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which is very good and has a certain innocence to it. I'm reading Barbara Kingsolver's Lacuna now. It's good, but it's no Poisonwood Bible which is one of my favourite books ever.

Sleepie

Sleepie wrote: »
    Hi all book lovers,

I have just joined this thread. I love reading and everything about books.

Does anyone know of a bookclub in Kilkenny? Or is interested in starting/joining one?!

Best places for information about a book club are in the library or notices in a local newspaper.

Sleepie wrote: »
    I have just finished the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, which is very good and has a certain innocence to it.

I really enjoyed the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society also, reminded me of 84 Charing Cross Road which is another sweet, innocent story told in letters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started on Peter the Great: His Life and World, great stuff so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess.

So far so horrorshow :)

Lorna Doone is killing me. It's so dull. Has anyone read it? Does it get better or should I just give up?

Lorna Doone is killing me. It's so dull. Has anyone read it? Does it get better or should I just give up?

Read it years ago & it wouldn't be one I be in a hurry to reread to be honest. So no, it doesn't really get any better.
    Gird you loins & labour on - just think how fulfilled you'll feel when you finish it :)

Callan57 wrote: »
    Read it years ago & it wouldn't be one I be in a hurry to reread to be honest. So no, it doesn't really get any better.
    Gird you loins & labour on - just think how fulfilled you'll feel when you finish it :)

I girded and laboured through Nicholas Nickleby and The Gold Finch and didn't feel one bit fulfilled after. I'll struggle on a bit more and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Finished The Scarlet Letter - not the best or not the worst book I've ever read. Ploughing my way through LA Confidential at the minute and really enjoying it. Good story, interesting character's and well written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Finished The Scarlet Letter - not the best or not the worst book I've ever read. Ploughing my way through LA Confidential at the minute and really enjoying it. Good story, interesting character's and well written.

Did you read The Big Nowhere prior to LA Confidential? Also make sure you follow up with White Jazz, all three are great books.

I finished Surviving The Sword : Prisoners of the Japanese 1942-45 by Brian MacArthur.
    Interesting accounts of how some camps were able to provide some protection for the men and keep the death toll down when officers would stand together, work for the better conditions for the men and stand up to the Japanese guards/wardens. While other camps with no leadership or too much military rigidity suffered far worse as there was no-one to stop the Japanese running riot (taking sick men on working parties, random beatings/punishments), to organise better conditions (hospitals, latrines) or to stop profiteering from flourishing.

On to My Ántonia by Willa Cather now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Ipso wrote: »
    Did you read The Big Nowhere prior to LA Confidential? Also make sure you follow up with White Jazz, all three are great books.

Thanks for the tip. LA Confidential is my first introduction to Ellroy but as I like his style of writing will probably read a lot more of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. LA Confidential is my first introduction to Ellroy but as I like his style of writing will probably read a lot more of his stuff.

The Big Nowhere gives a bit of background to some of the LA Confidential stuff.
    I also recommend The Black Dahlia and American Tabloid.

• Advertisement

Lorna Doone has just been sitting there looking at me for 3 days now. I think I'm going to have to do the unthinkable and not finish it :(

Advertisement