Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Just started Slam by Nick Hornby.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Finished Bereft earlier.

Kind of an abrupt ending but at the same time it was kind of what the whole story was building towards so.... yeah. I really liked it.

Now it's either Dubliners or Room.....

Dubliners!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Read George Saunders Tenth of December collection and wasn't that impressed. I liked the Tenth of December story and Victory Lap but I found the rest of the stories very "samey", as in, socially awkward, underprivileged people who were envious of those who had succeeded. Some were disturbingly dark. I didn't really like the stunted style of writing either.

Now reading Burial Rites by Hannah Kent and so far I'm loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Just finished 'The Sign of the Cross' by Colm Toibin. Published in 1994. Part travelogue, part autobiographical with the author visiting areas of Catholic Europe in the early 90s. Very interesting and readable and occasionally funny as it was researched just after the fall of the Berlin Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Callan57 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that - I though it a profound and amazing read but each to his/her own.

I thought it was beautifully written, but there was nothing in the story that interested me, and I found it pretty difficult to follow. I might come back to it one day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 150 pages in ,and liking it big time. :)
    It is 1536, and the expert swordsman, Jean Rombaud, has been brought over from France by Henry VIII to behead his wife, Anne Boleyn.

But on the eve of her execution Rombaud swears a vow to the ill-fated queen - to bury her six-fingered hand, symbol of her rumoured witchery, at a sacred crossroads. Yet in a Europe ravaged by religious war, the hand of this infamous Protestant icon is so powerful a relic that many will kill for it...

From a battle between slave galleys to a black mass in a dungeon, through the hallucinations of St Anthony's Fire to the fortress of an apocalyptic Messiah, Jean seeks to honour his vow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Have started Dubliners. Only read a few so far but I like them. Short stories are very hit and miss for me, but these ones are great. They are, as it says on the tin, short stories, but they feel like complete stories not just half ideas as I sometimes find with shorts.

Early days but I think it'll go in the pile with My Oedipus Complex and For Esmé - With Love and Squalor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished The Lieutenant - a quick, enjoyable read. If you liked The Secret River you will like The Lieutenant, it covers similar territory.

Now it's on to The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Almost finished Jose Mourinho: The Dark Side Of The Special One by Miguel Torres.

Fascinating insight into Jose Mourinho's time at Real Madrid. I've read sports books/autobiographies before but I've lost count of the amount of times I've uttered the words, "holy sh*t" throughout.

Highly recommended for any football fan or sports fan in general.

Moving on to the Darth Bane trilogy next. Star Wars fiction written by Drew Karpyshyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

How do you all decide what books to read?

I mean what makes you choose a particular book? There a lot of obscure titles in this thread, so I just wondered how you found them!

I hope you understand what I mean. Not many blockbuster/best sellers in the thread! So is it a College/Uni/Bookclub thing, or an interest in a genre or author?

I am amazed at the variety of titles here, many of which I would never have heard of. But many I did and have read.

Maybe a generational thing. But a good book transcends everything, in my book!

^ I've been using Goodreads to get recommendations. It's not the most accurate at it but it does throw up some interesting titles and you can look at other people's reviews and thoughts on them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

^Worked in the book trade for many years. You accumulate a lot of knowledge, favourite authors/genres and friends in publishing who are always predicting the next big thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

A lot of books I have read over the last year have been for book clubs, I have read some random ones, but I have to say a lot of books I have read have been based on recommendations from this thread :)

How do you all decide what books to read?

I mean what makes you choose a particular book? There a lot of obscure titles in this thread, so I just wondered how you found them!

I hope you understand what I mean. Not many blockbuster/best sellers in the thread! So is it a College/Uni/Bookclub thing, or an interest in a genre or author?

I am amazed at the variety of titles here, many of which I would never have heard of. But many I did and have read.

Maybe a generational thing. But a good book transcends everything, in my book!

I don't honestly know how it happens - a part of me believes the books find me not the other way round. :)
    I listen to a lot of radio & spend a lot of time in bookshops & the library and I read reviews in The Irish Times, New York Times, The Guardian & The Sunday Times and I used to love The Works but it's gone to hell in a handbag of late.
    I also watch what others are reading - kindles etc have ruined that passtime now too & discuss books with a few friends & workmates. I'm on Goodreads but don't find their recommendation that useful to be honest.

I'm on Goodreads but don't find their recommendation that useful to be honest.

I assume the more you rate the more accurate they get but generally I'd agree. They're not great but I do find that just browsing around the site and seeing what other people with similar tastes are reading is quite useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I use goodreads too and some of their recommendations can be..questionable...but following other people on that site leads to many hidden gems!! also, i spend many many hours in bookshops :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I take note of books mentioned on here. I use Amazon a lot to find similar books to those I have enjoyed. If I hear a book being mentioned on a TV programme or film I look it up.
    I could spend hours wandering around Waterstones just looking at books that catch my eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

I take some recommendations from threads like this.

In fact, I was reading the "books that disappointed you" thread a few days ago and actually ended up adding a couple to my wishlist! :pac:

Other than that I browse book shops and the kindle store offers and recommendations. My recommendations can be downright weird though - Amazon recommends the bible for me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I read books through word of mouth, recommendations (here or otherwise), interests (film, sports) and usually browse my recommendations from Amazon.

I'm also on Goodreads but find their recommendations way out most of the time. I read from book club lists and friend's hand-me-down books and quite a lot from boards. Amazon recommendations are sometimes worth a gamble too.

• Advertisement

Finished Hannah Kent's Burial Rites and it was superb. Loved the writing style which was simple, straightforward narrative, no overflowery descriptions or long-winded diversions. The story is heartbreaking. I didn't want the book to finish, though I was dying to know how it ended, so read slowly. Highly recommended.

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Finished Hannah Kent's Burial Rites and it was superb. Loved the writing style which was simple, straightforward narrative, no overflowery descriptions or long-winded diversions. The story is heartbreaking. I didn't want the book to finish, though I was dying to know how it ended, so read slowly. Highly recommended.

I read this right after reading The Goldfinch and the writing style was so refreshing after having to wade through pages and pages for tiny bits of plot.

Still reading Dubliners. Getting a bit bored now.

I don't think short stories are made for sitting down and reading cover to cover. But it's from the library so I'm working on a time scale with it.

I'm about 70% through Jurassic Park and I love it!!! Cannot believe I didn't know it was a book before lol

I'm not sure what to read next. Think I'll make a book jar. Someone suggested it to me on Twitter once or maybe it was here. Put the names of all the books you have in a jar and pick one at random.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

SarahBM wrote: »
    I'm about 70% through Jurassic Park and I love it!!! Cannot believe I didn't know it was a book before lol

I'm not sure what to read next. Think I'll make a book jar. Someone suggested it to me on Twitter once or maybe it was here. Put the names of all the books you have in a jar and pick one at random.

You should try Rising Sun, another Crichton novel.
    Very entertaining thriller, also became a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Still reading Dubliners. Getting a bit bored now.

I don't think short stories are made for sitting down and reading cover to cover. But it's from the library so I'm working on a time scale with it.

I've figured out the same. What I do now is keep a book of short stories to one side and read one story after I finish a book. As you say, difficult when it's from a library.

I finished Clash Of Kings by George R.R. Martin last night. Nicely set up for the third book, I just need to find a slim book to read in between.

Finished The Kitchen House late last night - a gripping read but quite harrowing too.

This morning I picked Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld off the "patiently waiting" shelf and on impulse at lunchtime (after reading great things about it here!) I got Burial Rites - there was a few bob left on the Eason's Xmas giftcard.
    That's the rest of the week sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Frank Delaney's Ireland. A really good book about a young boy and his fascination with a storyteller who visits his house when he is a young boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just finished The Son by Jo Nesbo.

Standalone from the Harry Hole novels and a good read.

Starting Game of Thrones today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

boccy23 wrote: »
    Starting Game of Thrones today.

Enjoy! :D

Oh yeah, I've been reading Trans-Siberian Express by Warren Adler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Someone to Watch Over Me by Madeleine Reiss

Just started Room by Emma Donoghue, not sure I can put up with this baby talk for 320 pages!

Just started Room by Emma Donoghue, not sure I can put up with this baby talk for 320 pages!

Stick with it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I did not enjoy this book at all and totally failed to understand why everyone thinks it's so amazing!

Me too, it was definitely one that didn't live up to the hype for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

About four hundred pages into Infinite Jest at this point; it took me about three weeks to get halfway there but after that it's plain sailing, I just couldn't put it down. Unfortunately I've got college finals coming up over the next two weeks and the desire to devour more of this behemoth is seriously, seriously meddling with my cramming tendencies. Everyone should read this book (although it's probably not for everyone, to be fair).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I'm in a strange situation, for some reason unknown to me I bought a book called "when mr dog bites" last week, even as i was at the till I knew it wasn't really my thing. I started reading it the other night and it seems to be a book for teenagers, thing is it's not so bad that I want to give up on it, it looks like I'll have to press on, will probably scan read through most of it.

My wife is reading Burial rites which i bought from the recommendations on here, she's nearing the end now and was in absolute bits last night, sobbing uncontrollably, can anybody reassure me that it's to do with the book and not the fact that she's married to me:o:pac:

Still reading Room, have kind of gotten used to the baby talk now but it's annoying the crap out of me that he says things like "bendedy spoon" but knows the right words for penis and vagina.

Starting Burial Rites by Hannah Kent tonight ... hope it is as good as the reviews say

• Advertisement

Starting Burial Rites by Hannah Kent tonight ... hope it is as good as the reviews say

'tis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Slattsy wrote: »
    Giving A Tale of Two Cities another go (wish me luck)

It aint easy, slowly slowly catchey monkey
    #prayforslattsy

:)

Slattsy wrote:
    It aint easy, slowly slowly catchey monkey
    Once I got into A Tale of Two Cites, I read it very quickly. I actually stayed up all night reading it to get to the end. :o

I only started reading Dickens a few years ago and found him much more accessible than I expected. I'm about to start another but I'm not sure which to read next.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭minnow

I started it a couple of days ago. 100 pages in and really enjoying it. Was a bit worried when I noticed that most of the praise on the cover was from authors I'd mostly never heard of (generally a bad sign) but it's a good read.

Ice Storm wrote: »
    Once I got into A Tale of Two Cites, I read it very quickly. I actually stayed up all night reading it to get to the end. :o

I only started reading Dickens a few years ago and found him much more accessible than I expected. I'm about to start another but I'm not sure which to read next.

Great Expectations, if you haven't already. Nicholas Nickleby is a snooze fest so I wouldn't bother with it.

Great Expectations, if you haven't already. Nicholas Nickleby is a snooze fest so I wouldn't bother with it.
    Thanks, I've read Great Expectations. I've just started David Copperfield so I'll see how I get on with that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I've started Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse, I love the way it's written! And I think I get some of the underlying meaning! :)

Finished Room. It was alright but it wasn't great. I think the idea was better than the execution. I had no idea it got such critical acclaim, I just knew that Lenny Abrahamson was directing the film version so I thought I'd give it a read. I wasn't expecting them to
    actually get out of the room and certainly not at the point of the book that they did.

It was all just a bit too easy for me and Jack's level of intelligence and interpretation of what was happening around him was so up and down that I couldn't really buy into it. It's not the worst book I've ever read but I've read much better.

Finished Jurassic Park today. Really enjoyed it. (first time in my life I have found misprints in a book I was reading which made me a bit :( )

I was going to pick a book out of the "Book Cup" when I got home, but I happened to pick up a few books in Chapters, so while I was waiting around for a concert I started Burial Rites. Only about 20 pages in, but I think I will like it.
    Picked up and Arthur Conan Doyle book The Lost World, never read him before.

I also picked up the Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden by Jonas Jonasson (same man who wrote The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. It`s one of the best historical fictions I have ever read.:D

Absolutely loved wolf hall-- any other recommendations from this author??

mel84 wrote: »
    Absolutely loved wolf hall-- any other recommendations from this author??

Bring Up The Bodies is possibly, slightly better. Loved both books:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement