Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

If you're 12 and have never read another book ever you'll like it.

It's stupid remarks like this that put me off of posting. If you didn't like the book that's fine but people don't view things the same way. You could have easily given an opinion on why it wasn't for you instead you chose to degrade a persons book choice.

FYI I'm 23 and a very active reader. Oh and I liked the book :pac:
    I don't think it's fair to look down on people's choice of book.

I have gone from reading Hemingway 'the old man and the sea' to 'Alice In wonderland' to The Beautiful and the Damned' by F Scott Fitzgerald to 'Divergent'. I am constantly moving between classics, children's books, fiction etc.

I'm the very same I read anything. I could get totally engrossed in a YA series but go and despise the like of Catcher in the Rye. I understand that everyone is different and people don't like the same stuff. If you don't like a book that's find but don't make little of a person for liking a book you hate.

This week I am reading The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

I wanted to read the series for a while and finally getting around to it now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

OakeyDokey wrote: »

I wanted to read the series for a while and finally getting around to it now. :)

Oh lucky you! Absolutely love Terry's books :) I read them all out of order lol, so would love to reread them chronologically :)

The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic are ok in my opinion, not his best ones and not really in keeping with the rest of the series. I think once it gets to Mort (which is brilliant) it really hits its stride :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It's stupid remarks like this that put me off of posting. If you didn't like the book that's fine but people don't view things the same way. You could have easily given an opinion on why it wasn't for you instead you chose to degrade a persons book choice.

FYI I'm 23 and a very active reader. Oh and I liked the book :pac:

I like that you just ignored my second post on the subject where I explained my issue with this book and books like it. But hey, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I think its fair to say peoples tastes vary greatly when it comes to books especially. My best friend and I often argue about books, because like that, she will think its childish or stupid or just rubbish, whereas I might have loved it.
    I love arguing about books. It's why I like boom club too because you get to hear so many other perspectives and opinions about books. :-)

About half way through the Black Tulip. Not as good as I thought but its ok.
    I'm trying to get my Mam to read the 100 year old man... It wouldnt be her normal choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Started Kafka on the Shore, it's, erm, different, compared to Norwegian Wood. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jackjustjumped

Started Kafka on the Shore, it's, erm, different, compared to Norwegian Wood. :)

Ah, I enjoyed that quite a bit. You should check out 1Q84, fantastic read.

I'm about a quarter of the way through Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn, and very much enjoying it. I wanted to read it before the movie comes out. I'll be interested to see how Fincher (who I love) adapts it and I know Flynn wrote the screenplay too, so I'm hopeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

SarahBM wrote: »

About half way through the Black Tulip. Not as good as I thought but its ok.
    I'm trying to get my Mam to read the 100 year old man... It wouldnt be her normal choice.

The Black Tulip is on my to read list, thought it sounded like an interesting read, I love Dumas' writing style so thought it'd be a great read, so its interesting that you just think its just ok. I'm still going to read it at some point though.

I'm currently reading The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, not as good as 100 Year Old Man, but still a good read.

biZrb wrote: »
    The Black Tulip is on my to read list, thought it sounded like an interesting read, I love Dumas' writing style so thought it'd be a great read, so its interesting that you just think its just ok. I'm still going to read it at some point though.

I'm currently reading The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden, not as good as 100 Year Old Man, but still a good read.

Well I am only half way through The Black Tulip so we will see.
    The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden is on my next list. I really enjoyed the old man...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

I had too take a break from the glorious Ulysses because of my summer exams in school, However I have picked it up once again.
    Absolutely adore Joyce's style, He is accomplished at painting a vivid,descriptive image in one's minds,Images that stick with you.
    anyway it annoys me to see so much ignorance surrounding the book,ESPECIALLY from annoying college students who have to read it and give the most idiotic reasons for disliking it.Things like ''Wah It makes no sense'' and ''It's so long''.

Why are these people aloud near an educational facility?I would love to read Ulysses for my Leaving Cert.
    Unfortuantaly I am reading the dull as dishwater How Many Miles To Babylon,I thought it was alright when I started reading it however since I am stuck with writing about it I realized what a dreary,boring awful piece of whingy shíte it truly is.

Long live Ulysses.

• Advertisement

Why are these people aloud near an educational facility?I would love to read Ulysses for my Leaving Cert.
    Unfortuantaly I am reading the dull as dishwater How Many Miles To Babylon,I thought it was alright when I started reading it however since I am stuck with writing about it I realized what a dreary,boring awful piece of whingy shíte it truly is.

Long live Ulysses.

Bit harsh. I did it for my leaving cert and loved it. I've read it a few times since then.

...it annoys me to see so much ignorance surrounding the book,ESPECIALLY from annoying college students who have to read it and give the most idiotic reasons for disliking it.Things like ''Wah It makes no sense'' and ''It's so long''...Why are these people aloud near an educational facility?

Criticizes people people for disliking book because of "idiotic" reasons.

Criticizes book with "idiotic" reasons.

Personally, if there's a reason you don't like a book, then there's nothing particularly idiotic about it. If you think a book is too long, that's okay, it's a perfectly valid reason for not liking a book. If you don't think a book makes sense, that's okay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Criticizes people people for disliking book because of "idiotic" reasons.

Criticizes book with "idiotic" reasons.

Personally, if there's a reason you don't like a book, then there's nothing particularly idiotic about it. If you think a book is too long, that's okay, it's a perfectly valid reason for not liking a book. If you don't think a book makes sense, that's okay too.

Jesus wept...

How is thinking a book should be branded with disdain purely based on it's length considered un-idiotic?It is a foolish way to describe a work of such magnitude such as Ulysses.
    How is being of the belief that something makes 'no sense' considered anything but foolish.Of course it makes sense,Many guides exist.Some out there are merely too bloody lazy to involve themselves with Ulysses.

Even then Ulysses is absolutely nothing in either difficulty or length to other celebrated works such as War and Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Welcome to the club! The first two are more 'standard' fantasy, as ivytwine said it's Mort where it really hits its stride.

Just keep the foreseeable future free, because there's a lot of books to get through and if you like them you won't want to stop.

Jesus wept...

How is thinking a book should be branded with disdain purely based on it's length considered un-idiotic?It is a foolish way to describe a work of such magnitude such as Ulysses.
    How is being of the belief that something makes 'no sense' considered anything but foolish.Of course it makes sense,Many guides exist.Some out there are merely too bloody lazy to involve themselves with Ulysses.

Even then Ulysses is absolutely nothing in either difficulty or length to other celebrated works such as War and Peace.

Who said anything about disdain based purely on the length???

I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with not liking a book because you feel it's too long. The length of a book influences the readers enjoyment and can have a negative or positive effect on the story within. Would 'Of Mice and Men' or 'Animal Farm' still be considered the classics that they are if they were 800 pages longer? Maybe, then again maybe not. I've read many books that I've considered poor because I felt they were too long, and the story suffered for it.

I have to laugh at you calling other people foolish for saying it makes no sense, then highlight that there are many guides available. If it makes sense then why do people need guides? Maybe it's not laziness to involve themselves with Ulysses, maybe they just don't give a ****?

As for War and Peace, it's not a difficult read in the slightest, it's just very, very long. Some may say too long....

Plenty of books make no sense. Slaughterhouse 5 makes very little sense to me. I've also tried reading some Flann O'Brien and it too makes very little sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

To get back on topic ....

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Finished Burial Rites on Saturday. Very vivid descriptions of time and place. Enjoyed it, slightly haunting in a way.

Finished Slaughterhouse 5. I don't know what I think of it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

Callan57 wrote: »
    To get back on topic ....

Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes

I'm in the middle of it. Not sure about it yet. Some very funny passages (A.H. trying to set up an email address made me laugh out loud)

8mv wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of it. Not sure about it yet. Some very funny passages (A.H. trying to set up an email address made me laugh out loud)

Yea, loved that bit & the dog poo :D ... I'm roughly 50% into it & really enjoying the originality

• Advertisement

kylith wrote: »
    Welcome to the club! The first two are more 'standard' fantasy, as ivytwine said it's Mort where it really hits its stride.

Just keep the foreseeable future free, because there's a lot of books to get through and if you like them you won't want to stop.

I'm reading The Light Fantastic now after enjoying the first book. Liking it so far and will update when finished :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Maddaddam and really enjoyed it. I love Attwoods work.

On to Hemmingway 's For Whom the Bell Tolls next.

Finished Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes ... loved it, so original and very funny.

Now it's on to The Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Callan57 wrote: »
    Now it's on to The Siege of Krishnapur by J G Farrell
    I read this a few years ago. I didn't get into it until about half way through but after that I really enjoyed it. So much so, that I wanted to reread it because I thought I would enjoy the first half on a second read. But I never got around to it unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭boccy23

Finished A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones Book 1). Brilliant. Haven't watched the TV show but thought the book was excellent.

Now starting A Clash of Kings.

(Bad weekend as Orange is the new back - series 2 is out as well!!!)

Started Equal Rights by Terry Pratchett.. Absolutely eating these books up. Really love them :D

Finished the Black Tulip last night. It was ok. Id say I might have enjoyed it more if I was a plant enthusiast.

Started Blitz.

Pulled Artemis fowel out of the book jar so will het started on them on Monday :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished The Hourglass by Julie Parsons and I'm kinda sorry I did. I went ahead with it to find out the truths of the backstories. I seem to struggle with Irish books for some reason or other.

Anyway, on to All Played Out: The Full Story of Italia '90 by Pete Davis. Author followed the England team around Italy during the World Cup in 1990. Full of anecdotes and observations supposedly. I cheated by picking this book deliberately and overlooking all the others ahead in the queue so as to get myself in World Cup mode.

Started Equal Rights by Terry Pratchett.. Absolutely eating these books up. Really love them :D

Yayyyy! They are amazing, everyone should read them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 O Gammy Eato

For fantasy, why waste your time on George RR when the Tales of the Malazan are so much butt-kickingly better?!

• Advertisement

Terry Pratchett is way past cool.

Mind you, now that I'm talking to myself, what about Neal Stephenson or China Mieville? They are some seriously good writers with ridiculously good ideas and perspectives.

Just finished Blitz. very good read. Can't believe I read a book in 2days!!! I'm usually so slow!
    Going to read Best of Me. Don't judge me, I like Nicholas Sparks :D
    Is say if I keep going like this ill have that read before Monday.
    Then I will be starting the Artemis Fowel books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Told you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I read Burial Rites last week on holidays. I found it good but not absolutely great. I suppose I was expecting too much from it.

Frog Music by Emma Donoghue

Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

I've started Eleanor Catton's The Luminaries. Also enjoying Why the West Rules for Now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Reading George Orwell's Homage To Catalonia currently. Not a whole lot happens, but it's still interesting. I'm just over half way through.

• Advertisement

Dave! wrote: »
    Reading George Orwell's Homage To Catalonia currently. Not a whole lot happens, but it's still interesting. I'm just over half way through.

Found that one a challenge to get through

Taking a break from Terry Prachett and reading Orange is the New Black. I wanna watch the TV show but want to read this first.

ivytwine wrote: »
    Boys from Brazil by Ira Levin.

Finished it, fantastic book. Loved Rosemary's Baby and Stepford Wives too. Pity he didn't write a few more!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 IgnatiousReily

Game of Thrones book 2. Good entertainment although obviously not 'literature'. Tyrion, the Eunuch and Littlefinger are my favourite characters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Half way through "Gardens of the Moon" - Steven Erikson - started a couple days ago - really exciting and interesting style. Love it so far!

On the bus and just finished reading The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks. Enjoyable if not a little predictable.
    Next is Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood for cinema book club. But can you believe, its in my suit case, which is under the bus. And I have an hour and a half left on my journey. Just my luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Game of Thrones book 2. Good entertainment although obviously not 'literature'. Tyrion, the Eunuch and Littlefinger are my favourite characters

I'm not sure if that's fair. Yes, the language and writing style might not ever be considered great but credit to the author in creating such great characters either lovable, repugnant or devious and a setting which includes classes similiar to Middle Age knights, Vikings, Mongol Empire, among a Roman style empire with some War of the Roses thrown in!

Finished Frog Music by Emma Donoghue ... great read, enjoyed it a lot.

Now I think it will be Sebastian Faulks, A Possible Life

Finally finished Kafka on the Shore. Disappointing tbh, started off well enough but the last 100 pages were a bit of a slog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Travel is good

Meathlass wrote: »
    Finished Burial Rites on Saturday. Very vivid descriptions of time and place. Enjoyed it, slightly haunting in a way.

Thanks for all the recommendations for this book, I really enjoyed it. The scenery descriptions were inspiring, makes me want to go to Iceland now. For a first novel, I thought it was very well researched.
    Thank you all. I have got some great books recommended to me on this thread.

I'm reading "Dr. Sleep" now, by Stephen King. I read "112263" recently and I liked that also. I have purchased a new copy of "the Shining" so might re-read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

Just started Wally Lamb - She's come undone

Never read anything by him before and seriously loving his writing style already

• Advertisement
Advertisement