Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

I'm the opposite, I've landed myself with quite long books these past few weeks. Need to think smaller page count for a while once I'm done with The Woman in White.

I've done the same myself recently with a pile of Ken Folletts and The Woman in White and I'm in the mood for shorter books at the moment. I have Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki coming up next on the list after TWIW, so that'll hopefully be a quicker read!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

boobar wrote: »
    Just finished Your Heart belongs to me by Dean R Koontz, very eery and a great read overall.

So I'm giving another Koontz novel a try.

The Watchers... Riveting stuff, unputdownable...very hard to describe without giving something away. But only a few chapters in and already some seriously interesting characters emerging.

Along time ago I went through a koontz stage were I read a lot of his books. Watchers I thought was one of his better ones.Although the plot in lightning was one of my favourites.
    I think I have a couple of his books unread still in the attic.
    Someday..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Bring Up the Bodies and loved it. I found it a much easier read than Wolf Hall, possibly because I was familiar with all the characters by then and I think Mantel moderated her writing style in the second book so it wasn't as confusing.

Now to find something light and fluffy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Patrick Lavin's The Celtic World a nice little over view of Celtic history and culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

I'm on The Death of Bees by Lisa O' Donnell at the moment, loving it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Completed Sorcerer Metamorphosis. About Cambria. Good read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Currently reading Resuscitation of a Hanged Man by Denis Johnson. I normally read genre fiction but Johnson is one of the few literary novelists I like. It's poetic and beautifully written but also has a good narrative.

Currently reading Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, having never read it before, and being drawn to it on account of the recent Stephen Fry 'controversy'. (It's about a futuristic, totalitarian Utopia in which, by restricting human liberty and through the use of pharmaceuticals, all traces of pain and unpleasantness have been eradicated)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

11/22/63. Really enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka. Tells the story of Japanese women who emigrated to the United States in the years leading up to the second world war. She has an interesting style of writing, structuring the book around a group narrative rather than that of an individual character. It grated on me slightly at first as you don't get drawn into any one particular character,s story rather you get an insight on what life was like (mostly joyless) for the various women in that environment. A thought provoking book makes you glad to be a western woman living in the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Daisy78 wrote: »
    The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka. Tells the story of Japanese women who emigrated to the United States in the years leading up to the second world war. She has an interesting style of writing, structuring the book around a group narrative rather than that of an individual character. It grated on me slightly at first as you don't get drawn into any one particular character,s story rather you get an insight on what life was like (mostly joyless) for the various women in that environment. A thought provoking book makes you glad to be a western woman living in the 21st century.

Can I recommend The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford? Similar theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Can I recommend The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford? Similar theme.

That's a lovely book :-) I got my Mam to read it, even though she normally only reads crime novels. she really liked it too.

I'm about half way through Still Alive and I really like it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Daisy78 wrote: »

I really liked this book. Very little link, but I read this directly after reading 'The Vagrants' by Yi Yun Li. Would thoroughly recommend if you haven't read..

Finally finished 'The God of Small Things', after three weeks. It wasn't a hard read, just a slow one for me. Gave it 5 stars on Goodreads- would recommend.

Have just begun 'Columbine' by Dave Cullen. Bound to be a harrowing read but am eager to know more..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Finished The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton last night ... an OK read but feeling very cheated by the ending

Back to The Robber Bride now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I feel like I've been reading The Woman in White for about 10 years at this point. I like it enough to want to finish it but not enough to read more than 2 chapters in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Dibble

Currently reading Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Just finished Still Alice. Great read. Had me in tears, so I'm definitely bringing the box of Kleenex to the cinema.

The Cuckoo's Calling has been staring at me for a while from the "to read pile". So that's next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Reached an impasse reading '1,000 Autumns of Jacob de Zoet', I'll really have to get stuck in but it's not doing it for me so far, 40% in.

Reading 'What if' by Randall Monroe on the side and it's fantastic, popular science taken to a ludicrous degree sometimes in a very funny and informative way.

Chapter about what would happen if you put an indestructible hairdryer pumping out heat in an indestructible box and see what would happen was hilarious, as he ramps up the power, again and again and again.

Also, great chapter about what would happen if a big drain opened in the ocean and the progressive changes that would happen as all the water drained!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Debating whether to read 'The Casual Vacancy' by J.K Rowling or 'The Godfather'. I'd prefer to read TG but the BBC have a mini-series of TCV starting on Saturday...
    I tried to read TCV when it first came out but got 150 pages or so in before I dropped it, there were too many characters introduced in the first 40 pages.

Jijsaw wrote: »
    Debating whether to read 'The Casual Vacancy' by J.K Rowling or 'The Godfather'. I'd prefer to read TG but the BBC have a mini-series of TCV starting on Saturday...
    I tried to read TCV when it first came out but got 150 pages or so in before I dropped it, there were too many characters introduced in the first 40 pages.

I didn't like the Casual Vacancy but I would be interested to see the tv adaptation. Im hoping the Cuckoo's Calling is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

SarahBM wrote: »
    I didn't like the Casual Vacancy but I would be interested to see the tv adaptation. Im hoping the Cuckoo's Calling is better.

It is!

mejulie805 wrote: »
    It is!

I am only 50 pages in, but I like it so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I've started Inside The Third Reich by Albert Speer. It's a book I've wanted to read for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Finished The Death of Bees. Loved it. Quite a dark story but wonderfully written, an easy enough read. Started White Lady by Jessica Bell, only a couple of chapters in so I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Read Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Sharp Objects, I found it a bit generic and a little predictable towards the end.

Flew through The Bad Seed by William March, very spooky book, I can see why it was such a game changer in terms of psychological thrillers when it was published. Very eerie and a great read for anyone interested in psychology, particlarly abnormal psychology.

Now I'm onto The Book of You by Claire Kendell, just picked it up as a random suggestion on Amazon, [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] about a third of the way in now (having started last night) and I'm completely hooked! Very fast paced, very riviting and very real, [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] finding it very hard to resist it in my bag at work at the moment!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Finally read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoot. I'm a massive David Mitchell fan but this book was the one of his that I found really difficult to get into. At the start he throws a lot of different characters at you without any of them forming a strong place in your mind and so the book doesn't really hook you. I initially gave up on it a few times but after reading The Bone Clocks I decided to go back and complete his catalogue.

Really glad I did. It is, of course, an excellent book although ultimately would not feature at the top of his canon. He's clearly not quite as comfortable with the 3rd person narrative as he is with 1st person, which is the style for all his other books. Also, while his attention to detail in the historical setting is impressive I think ultimately more attention might have been paid to the story. It's a very strong second part but the third and final part just kind of fades away and is ultimately somewhat unsatisfactory. That said, reading it after The Bone Clocks was quite illuminating. In many ways, The Bone Clocks is a sequel to it.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Finally read The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoot. I'm a massive David Mitchell fan but this book was the one of his that I found really difficult to get into. At the start he throws a lot of different characters at you without any of them forming a strong place in your mind and so the book doesn't really hook you. I initially gave up on it a few times but after reading The Bone Clocks I decided to go back and complete his catalogue.

Really glad I did. It is, of course, an excellent book although ultimately would not feature at the top of his canon. He's clearly not quite as comfortable with the 3rd person narrative as he is with 1st person, which is the style for all his other books. Also, while his attention to detail in the historical setting is impressive I think ultimately more attention might have been paid to the story. It's a very strong second part but the third and final part just kind of fades away and is ultimately somewhat unsatisfactory. That said, reading it after The Bone Clocks was quite illuminating. In many ways, The Bone Clocks is a sequel to it.
    Dr. Marinus?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Birneybau wrote: »
    Dr. Marinus?
    :D

Indeed but
    even the concept of immortality through the theft of others souls is prefaced in the character of Lord Ennomoto (who himself is mentioned in the Bone Clocks as a forerunner of the Anchorites). We assume Ennomoto is just a deranged lunatic when reading de Zoot but from the Bone Clocks we know his method was real. Also, Marinus makes several facile references in de Zoot to his atemporal nature that the reader would naturally assume to not be literal. But having read the Bone Clocks first, you realise he wasn't joking. That's why it's interesting to have read the Bone Clocks first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

SarahBM wrote: »
    I am only 50 pages in, but I like it so far!

didnt give a **** about the plot when i was reading it tbh, it was really well written though good on you!

• Advertisement

diograis wrote: »
    didnt give a **** about the plot when i was reading it tbh, it was really well written though good on you!

Well, considering that about 20 pages into the Casual Vacancy I hated everyone, this is going well! I have to get a bus on Friday so hoping to get a good chunk read then :)

Unfortunately, I have to start my project next wk, so wont get to read as much as I want. Unless I designate time to reading every day. I have set myself a target of 40 books. Im starting to think that that was a bit optimistic! :rolleyes:

Flew through The Book of You by Claire Kendall, really intense, fast paced read, very impressed with the debut novel, I'll certainly be reading more from her, riviting stuff!!

Now [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] reading Wild by Cheryl Strayed, about a third of the way in, so far [EMAIL="I@m"]I'm[/EMAIL] liking it, although I regret watching the film trailers for it first, all I can see is Reese Witherspoon's face as I read it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Aw man. 11/22/63 broke my heart. I think I need a few days before I can pick up anything else. Fecks sake Stephen, you're either scaring me or making me cry :(

Something Is finally happening in The Woman in White. Only took half the bloody book. I might get it finished this month at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Something Is finally happening in The Woman in White. Only took half the bloody book. I might get it finished this month at this rate.
    I actually really enjoyed it up until then and felt that was the point it started to go a little downhill.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Mousewar wrote: »

I bought this but have yet to read it. Hopefully now I can give it a go. He does create some dense narratives alright.

• Advertisement

Ice Storm wrote: »
    I actually really enjoyed it up until then and felt that was the point it started to go a little downhill.

The first half was alright in that it was clearly building to something but I just feel it's dragged a bit. I'm not sure I like the multiple narratives though.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

started blood meridian

eternal wrote: »
    I bought this but have yet to read it. Hopefully now I can give it a go. He does create some dense narratives alright.

I'm taking a rest 50℅ in. Have had a few others books on the go at the same time. It's going on the back burner for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Just finished the bourne identity . Good thriller . Would recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Spencerville by Nelson Demille.

Loved all his books I've read so far but this one is simply dire!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished Sense and Sensibility. I enjoyed it but I didn't think it was as good as Pride and Prejudice. That might be partly because I didn't have much time to read in in the last week or so, so it felt like I had been reading it for ages.

Moving straight on to 'A Moveable a Feast' by Hemingway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Finished a re read of Morgan Llwelyn's classic Lion of Ireland.

eire4 wrote: »
    Finished a re read of Morgan Llwelyn's classic Lion of Ireland.

Read it years ago, a great entertaining read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

I finished 'The Casual Vacancy'- enjoyed it far more than the first time I read it and I really got caught up in the drama in Pagford.

Just starting, Sophie Scholl: The Real Story of The Woman Who Defied Hitler by Frank McDonough. I consider Scholl a personal heroine of mine and it'll be interesting to learn more of her life before The White Rose etc.

Finished The Robber Bride and now it's on to
    Capital by John Lanchester

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished A Moveavle Feast. I'm not a big Hemingway fan, parts were a bit dull but I mostly enjoyed the book, especially the chapters involving Scott Fitzgerald.

Starting 'The Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss today. I've been meaning to read this with ages. I've heard great things about it so I've high expectations.

Callan57 wrote: »

Thought that was a decent book myself.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Thought that was a decent book myself.

Enjoying it so far :)

Callan57 wrote: »

I really liked that, very readable!! :)

Finally I have finished The Woman in White. It's a decent enough story but God is it long!! I think I'm 3 books behind on my Goodreads challenge now :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement