Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I'm flying through The Virgin Suicides... I'd been putting it off cos I thought it would be horribly depressing but it's great! Not a feel-good book, natch, but very absorbing and readable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

ivytwine wrote: »
    I'm flying through The Virgin Suicides... I'd been putting it off cos I thought it would be horribly depressing but it's great! Not a feel-good book, natch, but very absorbing and readable.

Could never get anything out of that book, hated it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

^ Same here I thought it was pretty crap. Everything is spoiled for you at the beginning (and the title itself obviously) and the rest of the novel is just those creeper boys pointing out evidence of the sisters downfall.

I am starting 'Swing' by Rupert Holmes. It is set in San Francisco in 1940, just before the war hits America where a woman (supposedly) kills herself after talking with our protagonist, the jazz saxophonist, Ray Sherwood. it is meant to come with a CD with 1920's inspired jazz music which contains clues to the mystery but I got this book from the library and alas no CD came with it :(

Callan57 wrote: »
    Could never get anything out of that book, hated it I'm afraid.

We won't fall out over it :) finished it now. Although it was pretty short it dragged a bit towards the end. Could have worked better as a novella I think. I did like it though, knowing the end and working back never really bothers me. It was haunting for what it was, an elegy for lost youth.

I'm taking a Pratchett break now. It's my habit after reading something depressing to read some Terry Pratchett, always cheers me up. Never got around to the Tiffany Aching ones so on A Hatful of Sky now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Haven't been doing much reading lately thanks to an endless round of college assignments.

I got The Narrow Road to the Deep North for Christmas and am only about halfway through it. Not loving it, but I suspect that's because I've been very stop-start with it.

After that, it will be A Girl is a Half-formed Thing, and then Bill Bryson's At Home, which was a Valentine's gift. Will probably get to that some time around August, the way things are going...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Started The Girls at the Kingfisher Club last night. Very easy read after The Woman in White. It's a modern day retelling of a fairy tale about 12 dancing princesses, apparently, I've never heard of them. Set in the 1920's, I think, it's basically 12 sisters who are kept locked in their house by their father, he wanted a son, the mother gave up after the 12th daughter. The eldest sister, Jo, is left in charge of the rest of them and to stop the next eldest, Lou, from running away, they sneak out to a club to dance and one by one the other sisters join them as they're old enough. This carries on for years until suddenly the father decides he's going to marry them all off to whoever will have them.

As I said it's a very easy read after The Woman in White but it's also very enjoyable. I'm flying through it. Should be back on my Goodreads schedule in no time.

Started The Girls at the Kingfisher Club last night. Very easy read after The Woman in White. It's a modern day retelling of a fairy tale about 12 dancing princesses, apparently, I've never heard of them. Set in the 1920's, I think, it's basically 12 sisters who are kept locked in their house by their father, he wanted a son, the mother gave up after the 12th daughter. The eldest sister, Jo, is left in charge of the rest of them and to stop the next eldest, Lou, from running away, they sneak out to a club to dance and one by one the other sisters join them as they're old enough. This carries on for years until suddenly the father decides he's going to marry them all off to whoever will have them.

As I said it's a very easy read after The Woman in White but it's also very enjoyable. I'm flying through it. Should be back on my Goodreads schedule in no time.

Never heard of that but it sounds right up my alley! Must look out for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We won't fall out over it :) finished it now. Although it was pretty short it dragged a bit towards the end. Could have worked better as a novella I think. I did like it though, knowing the end and working back never really bothers me. It was haunting for what it was, an elegy for lost youth.

I'm taking a Pratchett break now. It's my habit after reading something depressing to read some Terry Pratchett, always cheers me up. Never got around to the Tiffany Aching ones so on A Hatful of Sky now.

I also liked it but then, I am a huge fan of Jeffrey Eugenides. You should check out his other books if you get a chance, not that many to be honest but I loved 'The Marriage Plot' and liked 'Middlesex'.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I also liked it but then, I am a huge fan of Jeffrey Eugenides. You should check out his other books if you get a chance, not that many to be honest but I loved 'The Marriage Plot' and liked 'Middlesex'.

I loved Middlesex too. Must check out the Marriage Plot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Middlesex is an absolutely outstanding book, it was slated on this thread recently and I couldn't believe it, each to their own obviously. Virgin suicides is a lovely book and is quite a bit shorter, nowhere near as good as Middlesex though IMO. To be honest I was quite disappointed with the Marriage Plot.

I'm currently very much enjoying a book called The Illuminations by Andrew O'Hagan, read an interview with him in esquire and picked it up last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Mr.Buzz

Got my Silmarillion and Unifinished Tales books from TBD today... God, this is gonna be so awesome

I loved Middlesex too. Must check out the Marriage Plot :)

I loved Middlesex & I have The Marriage Plot on my to read shelf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I finished up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo at the weekend. I loved it. Grabbed me right from the start.

I read The Great Gatsby a few weeks ago. I found parts of it a struggle. It was good, but I'm glad it was so short.

I finished up The Summons by John Grisham at the weekend after starting it a month ago. My interest waned as the book went on. Nothing happened. The ending was very disappointing.

Just downloaded Dr Zhivago. Haven't started. Hope I enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

I finished up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo at the weekend. I loved it. Grabbed me right from the start.

I read The Great Gatsby a few weeks ago. I found parts of it a struggle. It was good, but I'm glad it was so short.

I finished up The Summons by John Grisham at the weekend after starting it a month ago. My interest waned as the book went on. Nothing happened. The ending was very disappointing.

I have read the first 2 and totally agree with you on both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Have you read the sequels to the Dragon Tattoo? Any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I haven't read the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo because I'm afraid that it has been so over hyped that I won't like it. If that makes sense.
    I hated the Great Gatsby. For such short book it took me about 2 months to read because I simply didn't want to pick it up to read it and I was so relieved when it was over!
    The only John Grisham book I ever read (I think my mam has read them all) is the Chamber. It felt like it took a million years to read. I just found it so boring.
    Dr Zhivago I wanted to read after seeing the film. I loved the film so I thought I would love the book, but I found it very tough going and I only got about half way through. I have yet to go back to it but I think I would have to start it again.

I am really enjoying the Cuckoo's Calling. I hope to finish it over the weekend. I think I want to read a classic next but I have to start another book for book club. so I might have to wait.

There are simply not enough hours in the day!!!!

I really didn't get gatsby the first time around. Read it again as was forced to for college and so glad I had to. It's one of my faves now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Picked up Mercy by Jussi Adler-Olsen on the freebees table in the library. It's a typical Scandinavian detective story but not a bad read at all. Quite a bit of suspense and while the translation does make the dialogue a bit clunky at times worth a read.

Now back on the classics again with East Lynne by Ellen Wood and enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

GRR Martin Game of Thrones.

Never heard of that but it sounds right up my alley! Must look out for it!

I'm about half way through it now and I am loving it. I have to force myself to put it down otherwise I'll have it finished too soon.

• Advertisement

Finally finished 'Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' and to be honest, found some of it a bit of a slog but was worth it for the surprisingly (for me) touching ending. David Mitchell complete collection now ticked off.

Reading two new now, 'Stuff Matters' by Mark Miodownik, a fascinating look at materials from chocolate to concrete, more interesting than I'm making it sound.

Also, 'Flowers for Algernon', 10% in and loving it already. This sounds awful but the first few chapters, written from the perspective of a man with an i.q. of 68 reminds me of so many comments written on the internet these days, not on Boards obviously :D

Birneybau wrote: »
    Finally finished 'Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet' and to be honest, found some of it a bit of a slog but was worth it for the surprisingly (for me) touching ending. David Mitchell complete collection now ticked off.

Reading two new now, 'Stuff Matters' by Mark Miodownik, a fascinating look at materials from chocolate to concrete, more interesting than I'm making it sound.

Also, 'Flowers for Algernon', 10% in and loving it already. This sounds awful but the first few chapters, written from the perspective of a man with an i.q. of 68 reminds me of so many comments written on the internet these days, not on Boards obviously :D

'Flowers for Algernon' ... cried my eyes out over that one, beautiful book

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Fidge13

Reading my first John Connolly - Every Dead Thing. Nearly finished - it's brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

boobar wrote: »
    Just finished Your Heart belongs to me by Dean R Koontz, very eery and a great read overall.

So I'm giving another Koontz novel a try.

The Watchers... Riveting stuff, unputdownable...very hard to describe without giving something away. But only a few chapters in and already some seriously interesting characters emerging.

Just finished the Watchers...fantastic, going to get stuck in to another Koontz novel this weekend.

Any recommendations?

Callan57 wrote: »
    'Flowers for Algernon' ... cried my eyes out over that one, beautiful book

Remember seeing the film but never read the book. It's on my list.

I'm about half way through it now and I am loving it. I have to force myself to put it down otherwise I'll have it finished too soon.

I was looking for it for the kindle... $25!!!! I'll check the library :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

SarahBM wrote: »
    I've had Flowers for Algernon on my Amazon wishlist for a while and I just checked and it's currently £1.84 for the kindle if anyone is interested. :)

I was looking for it for the kindle... $25!!!! I'll check the library :O

That's expensive for an actual book never mind an e book! The one I'm reading is from the library

• Registered Users Posts: 34 thedooner

J.V Jones is very good if you are into fantasy. About to finish book two in the sword of shadows series and I find it excellent.

Lashing into it, 30% in today! and I just love it. So humane, eloquent and heartbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

boobar wrote: »
    Just finished the Watchers...fantastic, going to get stuck in to another Koontz novel this weekend.

Any recommendations?

I really enjoyed Intensity, it does exactly what it says on the tin, really gripping and hard to put down! Not one if you're squeamish about violence but a great read other than that!! :)

Just finished Dracula last night, I'm a huge horror fan so it was a travesty that I put off reading one of the definitive horror novels for so long!! I thoroughly enjoyed it though, so atmospheric and beutifully written, it's just so creepy in places!!

Currently reading Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, it was one of my goodreads recommendations so I thought I'd give it a go, I needed something a bit easier to get through after Dracula, it was a bit heavy in places!! Only a few chapters in at the moment but I'm really liking it so far!! :)

I finished The Cuckoo's Calling yesterday and then realised I had forgotten to bring my next book home with me.
    The Fifteen Lives of Harry August and Wool are next and Bridget Jones for Cinema book club, but Im not sure if I will bother with that

giggii wrote: »
    I really enjoyed Intensity, it does exactly what it says on the tin, really gripping and hard to put down! Not one if you're squeamish about violence but a great read other than that!! :)

Just finished Dracula last night, I'm a huge horror fan so it was a travesty that I put off reading one of the definitive horror novels for so long!! I thoroughly enjoyed it though, so atmospheric and beutifully written, it's just so creepy in places!!

Currently reading Heartsick by Chelsea Cain, it was one of my goodreads recommendations so I thought I'd give it a go, I needed something a bit easier to get through after Dracula, it was a bit heavy in places!! Only a few chapters in at the moment but I'm really liking it so far!! :)

I agree completly - though I'm not a "horror" fan but Dracula is in a league of it own IMO.

I finished The Cuckoo's Calling yesterday and then realised I had forgotten to bring my next book home with me.
    The Fifteen Lives of Harry August and Wool are next and Bridget Jones for Cinema book club, but Im not sure if I will bother with that

The Fifteen Lives of Harry August is great, I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I read Bridget Jones yonks ago and it was one of the rare occurrences that the film was better than the book, I was very disappointed by it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

giggii wrote: »
    I read Bridget Jones yonks ago and it was one of the rare occurrences that the film was better than the book, I was very disappointed by it!!

Have to agree. It was really funny in places but it didn't seem to flow very well perhaps because of the diary style.

Finished a re read of Morgan Llwelyn's The Horse Goddess a lovely coming of age story set in the Austrian Alps in Hallstatt near the begining of the iron age.

Finished Capital by John Lanchester last night & today I'm starting The Rehersal by Eleanor Catton :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Starting a new book whenever I can tomorrow. Torn between A Thousand Acres by Jane Smiley and Joe Hill's Heart Shaped Box. Hmm...

Wow, 'Flowers for Algernon' was heartbreaking. That final line.

Don't know what to read next, have 46 unread books on my Kindle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Fidge13 wrote: »
    Reading my first John Connolly - Every Dead Thing. Nearly finished - it's brilliant.

Love john connollys books, the charlie parker series. Deliciously scary, but a really good read.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 machiavelli99

American Pastoral by Philip Roth. Really enjoying it. I read Portnoy's Complaint last year, I mush prefer this though, it's a much more serious book which he wrote in his 60's, his own mortality was definitely on his mind as he wrote it but its not especially morbid. I'd highly recommend it.

Started reading 'The Shining', something not too taxing but it seems like it's long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

After 2 days of nothing finally chose 'Red Dragon', which will be directly followed by Silence of the Lambs- its a 2-in-1 edition..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

mejulie805 wrote: »
    After 2 days of nothing finally chose 'Red Dragon', which will be directly followed by Silence of the Lambs- its a 2-in-1 edition..

Both are very good books.

Charlotte Gray, enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

Lolita, beautifully written but I feel unnerved reading Humbert's desire for Lo. It's difficult to say that I'm "enjoying" it so far.

denis160 wrote: »
    Love john connollys books, the charlie parker series. Deliciously scary, but a really good read.

I am a big fan as well. Very enjoyable thrill rides for sure.

Enjoyed Heartsick, bit of a twist on the typical serial killer/crime novels, I'll definitely check out some more of the series anyway!

Currently reading "Elizabeth is Missing" by Emma Healey, really enjoying it so far, it really gets into the mind of someone suffering from dementia, and is really heartbreaking in places. Going between that and "A girl is a half formed thing" by Eimear Mc Bride, which is beautifully written, it reminds me of The Road a little bit in its stream of consciousness, almost poetry- like prose, but it's very intense, I'll be needing something very light-hearted after these two! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished Albert Speer's Inside The Third Reich. Fascinating and surprising at times even if not wholly truthful.

I'm now reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. D'Artagnan isn't one of them!

The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August is on hold because I have to read Bridget Jones for book club. Can't say I was enjoying it though. Only read 20 pages of Bridget Jones and I was laughing out loud. ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
Advertisement