Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fab New Photography Competition!!

• 26-06-2009 10:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi everyone, in case you haven't heard yet - my friend Angel posted about it a few weeks ago - there's a great new photography competition in town... check out www.shootoutcrew.com to explore and enter! There are less than 10 places left in the current competition ( the semi-finals are on July 20th ) so please submit your work for exhibition ASAP!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No details about terms & conditions, or the rights to the photo, etc. I also see that the site seems to sell prints of the images of winners. Who gets the money from that?

All looks a little suspicious to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

my hand is up. I made a mistake. I deleted this thread as spam but after talking to the original poster, this is not, in fact spam. its a legitimate competition and , i think, a potentially interesting idea for the photography forum members.

thread undeleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

LoLth wrote: »
    my hand is up. I made a mistake. I deleted this thread as spam but after talking to the original poster, this is not, in fact spam. its a legitimate competition and , i think, a potentially interesting idea for the photography forum members.
    thread undeleted.

Ah, I was wondering where it was gone when I was in the middle of replying :rolleyes:

Paulw, there is a list of terms and conditions here:
    http://www.shootoutcrew.com/terms.html

I would say that there's precious little information on the actual site itself. Maybe there's more if you sign up or something, I don't know, but it's certainly not selling itself to me :D

Ah, I was wondering where it was gone when I was in the middle of replying :rolleyes:

Paulw, there is a list of terms and conditions here:
    http://www.shootoutcrew.com/terms.html

I would say that there's precious little information on the actual site itself. Maybe there's more if you sign up or something, I don't know, but it's certainly not selling itself to me :D

Very suspect.

Rule 3 - Photographs will not be passed on or sold to any third party and remain the property of the photographer.

Yet, when you click on any image you have the option to buy a print (hence selling the image to a 3rd party).

Have to agree, certainly not selling itself to me either. I still think it looks dodgy. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

To be honest, if this is run by the guys I think it's run by, it's kosher.

Plus, it's a great little pub. :)

• Advertisement

Paulw wrote: »
    Very suspect.

Rule 3 - Photographs will not be passed on or sold to any third party and remain the property of the photographer.

Yet, when you click on any image you have the option to buy a print (hence selling the image to a 3rd party).

Have to agree, certainly not selling itself to me either. I still think it looks dodgy. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I see what you mean, there's a link to digibug for any of the shots (that I've clicked on at least) that allows you to print. Doesn't look like selling though, prices just look like normal print service prices. Maybe its enabled by mistake, or the individual photogs can choose to have it enabled. Don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Paulw wrote: »
    Very suspect.

well, I clicked on an image and the only option I got was to send as an e-card, which send the pic but with the watermark.

Perhaps the gallery software is modified shopping cart code (it looks like it) but I dont see an option to buy... or perhaps, the photographer has the option of selling their pics through the site (and the one I looked at hadn't elected to persue that option)

agreed, its not a fantastic looking site front-end but then again, I've seen a stunningly slick painting company site that turned out to be a bunch of con-men.... books, covers and all that. :)

LoLth wrote: »
    well, I clicked on an image and the only option I got was to send as an e-card, which send the pic but with the watermark.

The option to "Print on DigiBug.com" which then takes you to a site giving you options for print sizes and numbers.

I don't have a problem if you can use the site to sell through, but it doesn't seem to make that clear anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭clive_odonohoe

this is a good competition, one of the girls in my course made it to the final on her night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 dxk

Hi folks,

trying to get a second to reply here - was driving, will be driving again in 5 minutes... there is NO FACILITY TO PURCHASE ANYTHING ON WWW.SHOOTOUTCREW.COM !!! Unless I've been misinformed by the web guys who set up the site...

We probably need to improve the whole web thing - it's a new project and I'm pretty hopeless at web stuff... it's a work in progress and we're very open to any suggestions re improving it.

Any questions, why not talk to me - Dermot... PM for contact details

There is nothing to fear.... but fear itself!!!

Dermot

• Advertisement

dxk wrote: »
    there is NO FACILITY TO PURCHASE ANYTHING ON WWW.SHOOTOUTCREW.COM !!! Unless I've been misinformed by the web guys who set up the site...

Looks like you've been misinformed so.

An example -

http://www.shootoutcrew.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=501

On the top left, 2nd option - Print on Digibug.com
    Click on that, and you're brought to a website (with the image) which gives you the option to order prints in different sizes and quantities.

Maybe worth your while talking to your web guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Hey guys,
    I signed up to this a while back and will be adding some photos in the next few days. Once you login you can change file permissions and the like:

shootout.jpg

Hope that helps a bit!
    Kyle

Phew!!! Thanks Kyle...

Oh yeah... Please do upload your shots ASAP as I'm under pressure to print the weekly posters for the next 2 Mondays before Tuesday 30th- the guy who designs the A0 posters/ weekly slideshows we use to exhibit the images on Monday nights is going away for a week next Thursday...

D

kjt wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I signed up to this a while back and will be adding some photos in the next few

Hope that helps a bit!
    Kyle

Ah right, thats cool. The OP might want to make that more clear, or maybe have it turned off by default or something. Looks like a neat idea, I hope it's going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭KarmaGarda

I'm playing test dummy here on this site for the fun of it. Not sure if I'll enter or not seeing as I'm not based in Ireland at the moment.

Initial feedback:

Seriously, sack the dudes who wrote the website. Not only does it not "draw you into the competition" but has quite a lot of flaws:

1. What is the winners prize?
    2. How the hell to you log in once back at the main page?
    3. I can enter without registering? That makes me very suspicious I'm afraid. And I know people have cleared up that this is supposedly legit, but I'm now cautious again, and know for a fact lots of others not reading this will be.
    4. ... actually I'll stop. There's so many flaws I'll crash boards.ie listing em all

Sorry, but it's the worst website I've seen in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    <snip>.....

May well be but I don't know that C&C of the web site was being requested.

Yeah, fair point! But I do think some questions need to be answered:

1. The "grand prize" doesn't seem to be clarified anywhere. What exactly is this? People need to know that it's worth their while entering.

2. How exactly do you log in once your at the main page? Maybe it's a bug, but I can't see a link anywhere. I had to use my history to find a web address that would allow me log in.

KarmaGarda wrote: »
    I'm playing test dummy here on this site for the fun of it. Not sure if I'll enter or not seeing as I'm not based in Ireland at the moment.

The website is terrible done I must admin. It is based in Ireland!
    Every Monday 7.30pm - 11.30pm
    @ No.3. Fade Street (Formerly "No Name Bar")
    Which is just off Georges St if I'm correct, near enough to the market bar.

To find out how to login is a joke, but here you go(Login).

Pretty sure you have to register/sign up to take part!
    Here's the Gallery.

I have nothing to do with this apart from signing up myself so I could be wrong!

To find out how to login is a joke, but here you go(Login).

Cheers for that, I managed to work it out as well. I was just wondering did I miss a link someplace on the main page

Hi,

I'm reminded of a very popular usage in Ireland- " f*** the begrudgers!". Nobody said www.shootoutcrew.com is perfect. However, we're just off the ground, the night is proving to be great fun, a great place to meet fellow photography boffins and generally show off your killer shots!

You're totally right about some of the defects- we haven't yet listed the prizes online, for example. Steady on... We're getting there!

D

• Advertisement

dxk wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm reminded of a very popular usage in Ireland- " f*** the begrudgers!". Nobody said www.shootoutcrew.com is perfect. However, we're just off the ground, the night is proving to be great fun, a great place to meet fellow photography boffins and generally show off your killer shots!

You're totally right about some of the defects- we haven't yet listed the prizes online, for example. Steady on... We're getting there!

D

Haha! Ok I'll take that one on the chin. Jumped in a bit quick maybe :o. My apologies.

No problemo!

Thanks to you- and everyone else- for your thoughts. We're very keen to improve the whole thing so your feedback is very welcome. Gotta get back on the road now... How did I survive before the iPhone??!

D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭mrs moneypenny

How did the competition go this evening.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I wanted to pop along, but got delayed with work :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I was on the way but got called on to play cricket, lets all list the reasons we didnt go here!

I live in London :D

I was in for about an hour. It was pretty good craic, some good photo's. I'll probably pop in again next week :)

It's a great idea, good job Dermot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

I was in for about an hour. It was pretty good craic, some good photo's. I'll probably pop in again next week :)

It's a great idea, good job Dermot!

I was unable to make it last night. :( however it seems one of my photos did pick up secoond place!

Hey folks,

thanks for the posts. Another great night of fab photography, music and general hangin' out was had last night. Thanks a mill to the boards.ie heads who participated - if I'm not mistaken, two of you were in the top 3...congratulations! Check out the results here:

http://www.shootoutcrew.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=500

If you want to have your work included in the last night of competition on July 13th, upload it before next Monday 6th July!!! There are only 2 nights of competition left before the semi-finals...

D

• Advertisement
Advertisement