Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Birth Cert" FYI

Options
  • 26-06-2009 10:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok so technically we do not have birth certs but our entry in to the adoption register but that is beside the point.
    In the past if I needed a copy of my "birth cert" I have always been able to go to Joyce House and get it,nice and simple the same as anyone else.
    So I needed a birth cert so yesterday went to Joyce House to find that although they have centralised all the birth records they have decided that adopted people do not accout and we now have to apply to the general registrar in Roscommon.
    Aghhhhh
    Anyway this info may be of use to someone else and save you the trek and of course I wanted to rant:)
    Apparently they did this about 2 1/2 years ago but as it is not something you need every day...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

I found this out too when I needed it to be assigned an army number in order to go on camp with the reserves the following week, i have to say though the office in roscommon was very helpful and sent it out the evening i rang them after being to Dublin to try and get it, I had it the very next day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭martinf

To be pedantic about it we all do have a birth cert but they won't give it to us officially - apparently it's a big secret sssshhhhh!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi all,
    it really makes me mad how thw goverment get away with this, it,s a crime to give false information on a passport form but we have to, it says on my passport that this person was registered at birth as kathleen martina hernon which is a lie. how can they get away with this....kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Little_L

It so much extra hassle. I had to contact Roscommon to get an emergency passport as the Dublin office wouldn't accept any of my paperwork because it wasn't the official 'long' birth cert. Still don't even have an original copy as it was only a fax.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Not exactly correct.

You cannot get *any* certs whatsoever in the GROs reading room in the Irish Life Centre. Its a reading room, full stop. You have access to all the books (in theory- normally there are some missing) and you have to note the extract numbers and send off to Roscommon for them @ EUR4 a go. This applies to all certs- not just from the Adopted Children's Register.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭trixy

Hi guys
    I got my cert in Joyce House only last year. I obviously had my date of birth and in most adopted peoples cases both surnames are the same so it wasn't that difficult. I went to the counter and they gave me a copy.

A few months later I had to get another cert and got the adopted peoples registered book in Joyce House, found what I was looking for and sent details to Roscommon, got everything back within a week.

Your original birth cert is in Joyce House but your adopted one which you should have or your parents are in Roscommon

Hope this helps

The reading room in Joyce House has closed altogether- you have to go to the Irish Life Mall over on Talbot Street. The Reading Room is now on the 3rd floor there (I think its Block 7). On the plus side- there is no shortage of parking in the basement (albeit pay parking). I was told all certs have to be ordered now @ EUR4 a go- you just give them the reference no. from the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

sorry for being so stupid but can we get the photocopies in the reading room or do we just take that info and then send off for the certs?? I'm thinking of tracing this way so just want to know before i go in... :)

tyview wrote: »
    sorry for being so stupid but can we get the photocopies in the reading room or do we just take that info and then send off for the certs?? I'm thinking of tracing this way so just want to know before i go in... :)

The books have only got minimal details (Mothers surname, childs surname, date of birth, place of where birth is registered).

It also has a reference on it- which is associated with the birthcert itself.

There are no birthcerts in the reading room- you have to request them at the desk- and they are posted out to you.

Hope this helps,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Genealogy_Guy

tyview wrote: »

The GRO Research Room is in Block 7, Irish Life Mall, between Talbot Street and Lower Abbey Street.

Yes, you can get photocopies in the GRO Research Room of register entries for 4 Euro each. To search a five year range of the register indexes costs 2 Euro for each search.

Regards
    Genealogy Guy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement