Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet keeps running

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

No not a marathon :)

My toilet keeps pouring water into the bowl even when the cistern has refilled. I checked to see if the float valve is coming back up all the way, which it is. However, water is constantly flowing into the cistern and in turn pouring into the toilet bowl.

Anyone have any ideas whats causing this? Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Is the flusher handle coming all the way back up properly? And the lever bar dealy that it's attached to inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭C Eng

Could be that there is a bit of debris caught in the valve stopping it from closing. Turn off the water supply and open it up to have look.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

Is the flusher handle coming all the way back up properly? And the lever bar dealy that it's attached to inside?

Flusher handle coming all the way back up and the 'lever bar dealy' is returning to the correct position after flushing. I lifted the float valve passed its normal highest point and the water was still pouring into the cistern. I'm assuming its this valve where the problem is.

Its the valve then! Are you any way handy, that you can do it yourself?

C Eng wrote: »
    Its the valve then! Are you any way handy, that you can do it yourself?

Never tackled toilet issues before :confused:

What do you reckon? Repair or replace?

• Advertisement

You will have to take off valve and have a look at the washer. Could be a simple just replace the washer (a couple of euro) If the valve is damaged might be easier to repalce unit. Any good builders providers would have them in stock.

C Eng wrote: »
    You will have to take off valve and have a look at the washer. Could be a simple just replace the washer (a couple of euro) If the valve is damaged might be easier to repalce unit. Any good builders providers would have them in stock.

I'll have to wait til the house is empty so I can turn the water off without anyone wanting to run to the loo :D

Is there a particular name for that valve unit if it needs to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Similar thing happened me....some dirt had come down the pipe from the tank at the attic and got stuck in the valve.

Even if you have to replace the whole unit, it's not a difficult job. As long as you can turn off the water from the tank without having to empty it, it shouldnt take any more than an hour.

Just a quick update on this issue. Replaced the whole unit for a new one. Although the new unit uses a bell shaped float valve connected to an arm thats only about 3" in length. Problem sorted though and even the slight drip on the outside of the cistern where the inlet pipe enters is fixed too. Job done. Thanks to all for thier advice.

Advertisement