Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do your little ones know stuff they shouldnt?

Options
  • 26-06-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭

ok , so I'm showing junior (aged 4) some youtube clips of some of the space scenes in BSG, where the ships appear out of nowhere, and he asks what are the flashes, so I try to explain that they "jump" from one place to another and he says "you mean like holes in space"

I had to do a double take , how te hell did he know that? might be the random musings of a 4 year old but left an impression none the less

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Think "sponge" :D

Kids are amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sponges indeed. Kids are born with certain instincts (rules of thumb actually) that help them deal with the physical world. It's why optical illusions work, for those who are interested, the brain is pre-loaded with short cuts for working out where objects are in respect to other objects and depth perception and such.

There have been some very interesting experiments done with children as young as six months where they are shown "magic tricks" where objects disobey gravity and such, even at this young age the children register surprise when such things happen, and this is long before said children would develop any learned understanding of gravity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

silverharp wrote: »
    ok , so I'm showing junior (aged 4) some youtube clips of some of the space scenes in BSG, where the ships appear out of nowhere, and he asks what are the flashes, so I try to explain that they "jump" from one place to another and he says "you mean like holes in space"

I see a future sci-fi writer or physicist tbh. /me is impresed. I thought you meant bad words when I read the thread title. :D

Khannie wrote: »
    I thought you meant bad words when I read the thread title. :D

Same here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Wow, that's pretty impressive deduction by him! (and props to you for starting him on good tv :D)

I was talking to a 6 year old in work who had a can of silly string in his hands and asked him was he okay because he looked traumatised, he turned to me with big eyes and said 'i'm scared to use this because of the ozone layer'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,360 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Khannie wrote: »
    I see a future sci-fi writer or physicist tbh. /me is impresed. I thought you meant bad words when I read the thread title. :D

we'll see , Star Wars lego is the big thing at the moment, but he'll have to cut out the role play where "Dark" Vader and R2D2 are friends:)

indeed , I meant shouldnt be able to know

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I too thought this would be about bad words or sex.

I'm still shocked from a couple of weeks back that my 11 year old knew exactly what teabagging is?

They learn such a lot in montessori and school these days but I think tv can have a big influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I had to google teabagging :o

Oh well, at least I will know what it is before my child does :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I had to google teabagging :o

Oh well, at least I will know what it is before my child does :pac:

I had to do the same as I'd missed out on Sex and the City :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

my then four yr old daughter came out with a mouthful about how breathing in air helps the heart beat and pump the blood around the body! that was a shocker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

my then four yr old daughter came out with a mouthful about how breathing in air helps the heart beat and pump the blood around the body! that was a shocker!

As yes but she has the best teachers no?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Supercroc wrote: »
    As yes but she has the best teachers no?!!

well i mean i cant argue with that! welcome back to boards by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

we were talking about quitting smoking at work, and one of the women, a grandmother, told me her grandkid (somewhere in the range of 3-5yrs) asked to her to please give some serious thought to giving up smoking, as it would make her lungs turn black and shrivel up and she'd die and that she didnt want her nana to die. then wanted to know how long of not smoking before her lungs would turn big and pink again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My three yr old had a nightmare last week & woke up crying, she was telling us all about it at breakfast. She said a crocodile was chasing her so she sellotaped herself to a star which was so bright, when the crocodile looked up, it couldn't see her.

Her four yr old brother snorts & tells her "Don't be silly, crocodiles legs are too short - they couldn't get up the stairs to chase you".

Myself & their father were watching this exchange open-mouthed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My eight year old sister announced today that she doesn't believe Santa exists and she thinks our parents just buy the presents and leave them under the tree. I know she's not very young to stop believing, but I'm still devastated :( She's still a firm believer in the tooth fairy though!

She also got into a big philosophical debate with her aunt a few days ago - my aunt was trying to persuade her to marry for money, not love, and my sister put up a very good argument about how you'd never be happy that way, it was very amusing to listen to!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

silverharp wrote: »

I had to do a double take , how te hell did he know that? might be the random musings of a 4 year old but left an impression none the less

A little while back i was browsing the web, listening to the BSG soundtrack with my (then 4 months old) son resting in my arms, "All Along the Watch Tower" started playing, and suddenly he got restless and agitated...

Should I be worried ???

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Our three-year old regularly leaves us open-mouthed with his observations, although I know it's just all kids with their hoover-like brains.

After a first viewing of Star Wars Episode I at the weekend, he announced that Anakin Skywalker could speak Spanish. I started to disagree, but he was adamant that he was speaking Spanish to the other podracers. I then copped that for a good chunk of the film Anakin does indeed chat to Watto, Sebulba etc. in (subtitled) Huttese (or whatever that language they use on Tatooine is called). That's a pretty subtle conclusion for a monolingual kid - if I don't understand it, it must be Spanish!

I did some experiments and found that my three year old with headbang and play air guitar to Scandinavian Death Metal...

Advertisement