Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romanians being forced home yay or nay?

• 26-06-2009 11:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

So according to the news, 70 + of the Romanians which have sustained abuse in th enorth are now flying home, whats peoples opinions? I for one don't see it as a really bad thing, I don't like them outstraight, i've had them attempting to rob me before, begging on corners every where I look, never working, raping the government for anything they can. Good ridance I say. Maybe the north are on to a way of getting them out. However I don't condole them being outright assaulted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/racism.html

Do you think it's a good thing Romanians are being forced home? 131 votes

Yay
    0% 0 votes
    Nay
    67% 88 votes
    Don't care
    25% 34 votes
    Are they Hawt?
    6% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should all stay here. We wouldn't want to lose things to moan about, would we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

You mean Roma Gypsies. And yes, there are about seven hundred of them living in two gaffs on my road and they're absolute scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Forced home for now, but these will be back, and soon. They are not here to contribute or work, they are here to beg, steal and commit crime. It's as obvious as that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

walshb wrote: »
    Forced home for now, but these will be back, and soon.

Nothing a good ole dose of fire won't sort out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Irishcrx wrote: »
    So according to the news, 70 + of the Romanians which have sustained abuse in th enorth are now flying home, whats peoples opinions? I for one don't see it as a really bad thing, I don't like them outstraight, i've had them attempting to rob me before, begging on corners every where I look, never working, raping the government for anything they can. Good ridance I say. Maybe the north are on to a way of getting them out. However I don't condole them being outright assaulted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/racism.html

Suppose it depends on if they actually did any of those things or are they victims of stereotyping, you know, like you just did there?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

could you modify the poll to say:

Roma Gypsies
    All Romanians
    No

Thats the fair way to deal with peoples opinions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Why can't people tell the difference between Roma and Romainians, they don't even look alike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Wasn't that guy who got attacked on his doorstep saved by his Romanian neighbour? He's been living here and working for 10 years or so..

I dislike beggers and people who rob the country, but people like that come in many nationalities, shapes and forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Dardania wrote: »
    could you modify the poll to say:

Roma Gypsies
    All Romanians
    No

Thats the fair way to deal with peoples opinions...

Follow the link. The poll obviously relates to specific Romanians who happen to be Gypsies.

OT I'd say they're just going home to refill their suitcases with duty free before returning. After the last budget even 15 seperate social welfare claims and assorted begging and stealing won't keep you in smokes and gold teeth you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

KTRIC wrote: »
    Why can't people tell the difference between Roma and Romainians, they don't even look alike :rolleyes:
    Actual Romanians are confused with Polish by most Irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Dinter wrote: »
    Follow the link. The poll obviously relates to specific Romanians who happen to be Gypsies.

I did. It doesn't:
    70 members of the Romanian community who were forced to leave their homes in Belfast last week are returning to Romania today.
    The families who were subjected to racial abuse are flying home from Dublin airport.
    25 members of the Romanian community have already returned home.

you're being indiscrimately racist...do you consider yourself Irish or a member of the Irish Travelling Community?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

K-9 wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on if they actually did any of those things or are they victims of stereotyping, you know, like you just did there?

And already they're the victims:rolleyes:.

I have worked with plenty of romanians and they are pretty much all decent people. Most of them think Roma gypsies are absolute scum. They know a lot more about them than we do so i'll trust their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

Does anyone know how many of these people are Roma gypsies & how many are normal Romainian citizens?

BTW, I now a lot of Roma Gypsies are not Romainian etc.

I really dont know why we are letting roma gypsies into the country, we know they come to rob, steal and milk what they can from the government they should be turned around at the border. Could you imagine if a big crowd of them arrived at a US border they would be shot before they would be let in.

When they come up selling flowers/picking pockets at night in Galway I usually point them in the direction of Shannon airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Its better if they go home.. They can now rob people in their own countries.... If there is anything to rob?? Sure i have a reason to hate them.. I was waiting outside dunnes one day and some gypsy old lady and young guy come over to me offering me fags (when im clearly underage). I ran for it and one of them threw an orange at my back?? Im suprised that they were actualy giving me something but it was probably a distraction to steal my phone since i was texting at the time. Scum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

I work with a Romanian & rate him as a sound bloke.

As for the Roma Gypsy types. They ain't welcome in my book.

Btw, where are most of them from anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i would love to pork one of those old fat roma women with the gold teeth

Forced home for now, but these will be back, and soon. They are not here to contribute or work, they are here to beg, steal and commit crime. It's as obvious as that!

I think you're mixing them up with the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was waiting outside dunnes one day and some gypsy old lady and young guy come over to me offering me fags (when im clearly underage). I ran for it and one of them threw an orange at my back??

First you wont take their gift of ciggies, then you wont take their fruit? Sheesh, you're a thankless sod. Maybe we have them all wrong. Maybe they're givers instead of takers:pac:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I think you're mixing them up with the government.

Yeah, but the government dress nice, well, most of them anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pogroms against any race of people is pure wrong.

However I see nothing positive in having Roma gypsies here, so while I don't like the method used (running them out of their homes) I won't mourn their leaving - good ridance to bad rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No, I think it's a terrible idea. I am good friends with someone from Romania, and I think that ethnic / racial discrimination is something that we should be past in the 21st century.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Daroxtar wrote: »
    And already they're the victims:rolleyes:.

I have worked with plenty of romanians and they are pretty much all decent people. Most of them think Roma gypsies are absolute scum. They know a lot more about them than we do so i'll trust their judgement.

Thing is, I haven't seen any references to Roma in the meejia, just Romanians.

People just seem to be assuming it's Roma and thinking, oh, that's ok then. I'd get the pitch forks too.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Daroxtar wrote: »
    First you wont take their gift of ciggies, then you wont take their fruit? Sheesh, you're a thankless sod. Maybe we have them all wrong. Maybe they're givers instead of takers:pac:

a fag and an orange in exchange for my phone... Not a good enough deal, sorry :P

Roma-Romanian, Big-Shmig, close enough for me!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I have first hand experience of a Roma family moving into an area and destroying the place so yeah run them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I did. It doesn't:

Apologies, I meant the whole media hoopla, but now that you mention it you're right. There's no way those Roma parasites would leave because of a few stones.

you're being indiscrimately racist...do you consider yourself Irish or a member of the Irish Travelling Community?

I never understand why they're considered "Irish" Travellers. There's like 25, 000 of them here and 300, 000 in Britain. We might as well call the Irish Polish because there's a few of them working over here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

is it because i'm happy with a comfortable life and job that i don't care who these people are or what they do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Good riddence.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but the government dress nice, well, most of them anyway!

Ram-raiding bespoke tailors at two o'clock in the morning helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Jakkass wrote: »
    No, I think it's a terrible idea. I am good friends with someone from Romania, and I think that ethnic / racial discrimination is something that we should be past in the 21st century.

Again, youre probably friends with ROMANIANS, not roma.
    Romanians, fine. But im gonna echo the sentiments of most people so far and say that ROMA, are NOT welcome. 13 of them live in ONE house on my road, and to say they treat the place look like a dump is an understatement.
    If they ever want respect (which im sure they dont want and could care less about) they should maybe try not treating whatever country they currently live in like a ****hole and having zero respect for indigenous people/property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Unless you personally know the 70 people (including a week old child) and have had bad experiences with them than wanting them to leave is simply racist.

If you have had bad experiece with other people who happen to share the same ethnicty - than holding a grudge against those people as individauls. To hold grudes to against an entire group of people is simply ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

For people who just can't comprehend the difference between Romanians and Roma Gypsies - look at it this way, it's like Irish travellers emigrated, got a really bad reputation abroad the same as they have here (deserved or not is another thread), were known as "Irish" and every time we went abroad were classed in same bracket.... Now can you imagine the reaction!!!

Use your intelligence people!!! (assuming there is some!)

I'm quite honestly amazed at how many people have applauded the Northern government for insisting that these Romanian people who were kicked out of their homes by Loyalists should leave Northern Ireland because they were abused for their ethnicity. I think it's a great shame that this happened.

Do people honestly think it is right that these people are being sent to Romania because they were abused and kicked out of their homes?

Nice to know that the churches are all united against this disgrace of an event:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0618/breaking6.htm
    http://www.presbyterianireland.org/News/news2009/news0684.html

N.B - I couldn't care whether they are Roma or Romanian, in a freedom loving Western society all people should have equal opportunity if they are given permission to live in a certain country no matter what colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

N.B - I couldn't care whether they are Roma or Romanian, in a freedom loving Western society all people should have equal opportunity if they are given permission to live in a certain country no matter what creed, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation and so on.

+1 well said ;)

Just to clarify my last post wasn't implying that I thought they SHOULD have gone through this. Just so stupid some people can't seem to make the distinction between Romanian and Roma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Holy ****, there was me thinking I was going to boards.ie, when I seemed to have ended up on stormfront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

N.B - I couldn't care whether they are Roma or Romanian, in a freedom loving Western society all people should have equal opportunity if they are given permission to live in a certain country no matter what creed, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation and so on.

Theres a massive difference between discriminating against someone solely down to skin colour or sexual preference, something nobody can make a decision about and is simply born with, or discriminating against people who actively make the choice to beg/steal for a living, have babies solely because the Romanian government gives them an allowance for every child they have, live in filth, have no respect for either their own property or the property of those around them, and have no intention of working. Im sorry but i couldnt give a **** if youre white, black, green, or what, but if thats the reason youre coming to this country, you shouldnt be let in to do whatever you like.

Honestly, do you live near any roma? and im asking this in all seriouness. Because i find it hard to imagine that anyone could live near them and NOT be a bit prejudiced against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Should they be allowed do what they like too? Begging, thieving and scamming through life, they can do that in their own country. Roma Gypsies are just scumbags, exact same as our scumbags. The only difference is they have a darker skin tone. If this story was "scumbags from dolphins barn run out of neighbourhood by local residents for causing a nuisance." Would you be on going on about giving them freedom to do what they like? Lets not kid ourselves, this isn't about their creed, colour, religion, gender and sexual orientation, Its about how they conduct themselves. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

i dont think their culture has a place in a society like Ireland or Romania/Slovakia or anywhere else they are in much larger numbers, for me personally I don't think they have any self respect but i've never had any problems with them, so no i'm not happy they are being forced out(although they are being forced out of a different country but on this island)

What I would like to see in Ireland is a ultamatium(if thats the word) to the roma here, its a disgrace how they have kids and bring them into a world where they have no hope :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Get rid of em.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

I really dont know why we are letting roma gypsies into the country, we know they come to rob, steal and milk what they can from the government they should be turned around at the border. Could you imagine if a big crowd of them arrived at a US border they would be shot before they would be let in.

When they come up selling flowers/picking pockets at night in Galway I usually point them in the direction of Shannon airport.

There are a lot of them in Canada and America claiming asylum from Czech Republic!

http://czechdaily.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/roma-asylum-seekers-from-the-czech-republic-to-swamp-canadian-refugee-shelters/

"Hundreds of Czech Roma have left their country to seek asylum in Canada since January 2009. Canadian authorities fear that the situation might get out of control, the National Post in Toronto wrote. The influx is motivated by the Roma’s conviction that they are constantly being discriminated against and that the Czech authorities fail to protect them from the attacks by extreme-right movements".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

And if this equal opportunity is refused? if instead the person wishes to leech off the system, beg, steal, intimidate? Are we expected to support these people? Welcome them with open arms and tolerate or simply ignore their actions?

Now like you I could not care less whether such a person is Roma or Romanian. Or American, or French, Italian, Chinese or Australian. Such people do not belong here imo.

Again I don't think its a race thing. God knows there are plenty of Irish criminals and lowlifes that I would love out of the country if it were possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

K-9 wrote: »

Actually no, I wasn't stereotyping I was giving my opinion on personal expieriences that I have had with them which have all been bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    i would love to pork one of those old fat roma women with the gold teeth
    Reported :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

good news any chance they could swing by Limerick and take some of them with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

thing with the roma is, how do you react to them when they are playing music and stuff? what makes them difference from your average street performer. are the ones who play music not wasters?

also how much roma are in ireland? the fact is that as a people they have been victimised for centuries, i mean how many of them were killed by the nazis?

charlie chaplin was a roma apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

briano wrote: »
    Holy ****, there was me thinking I was going to boards.ie, when I seemed to have ended up on stormfront.

When you have no conviction in your opinion, muddy the waters and play the stormfront card eh.

0ubliette wrote: »
    Theres a massive difference between discriminating against someone solely down to skin colour or sexual preference, something nobody can make a decision about and is simply born with, or discriminating against people who actively make the choice to beg/steal for a living, have babies solely because the Romanian government gives them an allowance for every child they have, live in filth, have no respect for either their own property or the property of those around them, and have no intention of working. Im sorry but i couldnt give a **** if youre white, black, green, or what, but if thats the reason youre coming to this country, you shouldnt be let in to do whatever you like.

No there really isn't a difference. You are generalising people of minority group X, based on the behaviour of a portion of group X. I personally believe that people should be assessed as individuals in respect to their actions. It's the only way we can effectively decide on these things. It is also why our justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If our judges were like you, if a Roma person was suspected of pick pocketing you'd have them accused guilty before hearing the evidence. Why can't we apply this innocent before proven guilty to our views of ethnic / racial minorities. That's what I really can't understand.

You make it out as if every Roma steals for a living. To be honest with you when 75% of Roma live in poverty I'm quite frankly not surprised why they steal. If I were starving I would probably steal particularly if I was trying to provide for myself and my family.

In other countries in the Balkans the Roma have been put into prostitution out of desperation by higher gangs. I don't think we are being reasonable in understanding the situation that these people are in before we suddenly leap into judging them.
    0ubliette wrote: »
    Honestly, do you live near any roma? and im asking this in all seriouness. Because i find it hard to imagine that anyone could live near them and NOT be a bit prejudiced against them.

I've encountered quite a few yes. I unlike you do not believe that I can base my view of 100% based on a group of individuals.
    Davei141 wrote: »
    Should they be allowed do what they like too? Begging, thieving and scamming through life, they can do that in their own country. Roma Gypsies are just scumbags, exact same as our scumbags. The only difference is they have a darker skin tone. If this story was "scumbags from dolphins barn run out of neighbourhood by local residents for causing a nuisance." Would you be on going on about giving them freedom to do what they like? Lets not kid ourselves, this isn't about their creed, colour, religion, gender and sexual orientation, Its about how they conduct themselves. Simple as.

Everyone is subject to the law, don't be so ridiculous. They have been given entry into Ireland for a reason, therefore I think they should have every right to settle here.

The real solution for the Roma problem would be if charitable projects could be set up to find housing and work for these people, giving them real opportunities. Perhaps also to disperse them around amongst other cultural groupings so as to challenge them to integrate and not to form ghettos. Why aren't we talking business if we truly want to solve the problem though?

Booting a minority only works until you find that you have several other groups of minorities that will have to integrate. There is great work in Ireland happening among Afghans who speak Farsi to integrate them into Irish society through church organisations. I've heard great things about this.

These people are all just like you and me when we get down to it, except they have had to endure much harder than you or me. As such I prefer to be a realist and think of solutions rather than take the far-right xenophobic (and that's exactly what it is) line of booting minorities out.

I'm not particularly nationalistic. I feel that some people take a ethnic view of what Irishness is, it won't work in the future. Being Irish must be subject to change. I personally consider the Irish as the people who are currently living in Ireland. As the demographics change, so does what it means to be Irish. Personally I think the Roma, Romanians, Afghans or anyone else coming into this country are as entitled to it as I am if they have legal permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Are they good-lookin tho'?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Its very hard to discuss these types of topics and come out of it without looking like a racist if you arent in favour of inviting the whole world to live in your back yard.

Roma have nothing (that i can see) to offer Ireland, north or south, so I wouldnt be in favour of importing more of them.

They are not some band of ultra skilled highly motivated workers that Ireland desperatly needs.

Essentially they are a beggar race. They are in general illiterate and in Romania they experience 90% unemployment so the work ethic is pretty much non existant.

To be fair to them, they are pissed on from a height in Eastern Europe. In Belgrade for example there are shanty towns full of Roma, akin to what you see in the slums in India.

Still and all,
    is their bad treatment in East Europe a reason to fill Ireland with thousands of these beggar people that have nothing to offer Ireland except more social welfare, health and education costs?

P.S. I myself am an emmigrant but unlike the Roma I came with a degree and a masters and am paying half my salary in taxes and health insurance (in Germany). I am paying my way here and i despair when Ireland is seen as a soft touch for spongers that have nothing to offer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement