Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romanians being forced home yay or nay?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

the fact is that as a people they have been victimised for centuries, i mean how many of them were killed by the nazis?

Whats that got to do with anything? Most nationalites/races have been victims of injustice. Does that mean we should allow them all into Ireland at the expense of the taxpayer? Ireland is not a charity, it is a bankrupt country, the message should be made clear, foreign nationals who come here to live off the state are not wanted.

Also, do you ever stop harping on about the Nazis? Hitlers dead. Nazism is dead. Build a bridge and get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Jakkass wrote: »
    No there really isn't a difference. You are generalising people of minority group X, based on the behaviour of a portion of group X. I personally believe that people should be assessed as individuals in respect to their actions. It's the only way we can effectively decide on these things. It is also why our justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If our judges were like you, if a Roma person was suspected of pick pocketing you'd have them accused guilty before hearing the evidence. Why can't we apply this innocent before proven guilty to our views of ethnic / racial minorities. That's what I really can't understand.

You make it out as if every Roma steals for a living. To be honest with you when 75% of Roma live in poverty I'm quite frankly not surprised why they steal. If I were starving I would probably steal particularly if I was trying to provide for myself and my family.

So theyre all tired, poor starving huddled masses now?? And were all horrible racists for not wanting to help them, is that it?
    Doesnt look like theyre starving to me, they all have cars (2 in each house they live in round here actually), and most of the girls ive seen have a mouthful of gold teeth. Perhaps if they were so desperate for food they could sell a car or the gold, eh?
    And yes there is a massive difference between saying 'no, dont allow homosexuals or black people into the country', and saying 'no, dont allow a group of people who are known for actively engaging in criminal or antisocial behaviour and have no intention of working or actively contributing to society in to do whatever they like.'

And youve seen a few in person yeah? Good for you. Try living with some man, youd change youre tune fairly fast i guarantee. The two houses near me where they live are practically mini halting sites. Not to mention the sudden increase in burglaries and their harrassment of elderly people in the area.
    Im not saying anyone has the right to run someone out of their home, thats not right, but i am saying that perhaps if these people didnt behave like scum people wouldnt treat them like scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

what are u talking about? the thread is generally about roma, the ones going home weren't in ireland to begin with(replying to PaulieD)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emma6606

The Roma Gypsies should all be quarantined before being allowed in here in the first place... dirty smelly gits - coming over here with their exotic diseases.

The thoughts of my hard earned tax money being given to them turns my stomach

I think its a waste giving them accomodation, when there are plenty of Irish people that need a place to live... especially with homes being repossessed during the recession...
    Enough of our own people are loosing jobs and unable to cope with mortgage repayments...

If we got rid of some of those gypsies we'd be able to look after more of our own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Nemesis

I don't like Stormfront or Nazi's but maybe I shouldn't tar them all with the one brush.

I'm sure there was/is good decent Nazi's it was just a few giving the rest a bad name....

Anytime I've had a dealing with Roma they have tried robbing me. (about 6 occasions)

Was talking to a friend yesterday about this issue and he said his best workers and most decent guys he had were Romanian.

These very Romanians however really have a dislike for the Roma and label them as thieves and beggers.

I don't know who the Romanians in the North were the thieving begging type or the hard working/good type.

Hmm the word 'Type' isn't very nice for groups of people.

Everyone is subject to the law, don't be so ridiculous. They have been given entry into Ireland for a reason, therefore I think they should have every right to settle here.

They need a work permit to reside in Ireland and the UK, as they are Romanian citizens. Are the Department of Trade and Enterprise issuing work permits to beggars now? Of course not.

Therefore, they are legally entitled to nothing. They got a free flight home. They should be thankful for that.

what are u talking about? the thread is generally about roma, the ones going home weren't in ireland to begin with(replying to PaulieD)

They where in Ulster, which is part of the island of Ireland.

emma6606 wrote: »
    The Roma Gypsies should all be quarantined before being allowed in here in the first place... dirty smelly gits - coming over here with their exotic diseases.

The thoughts of my hard earned tax money being given to them turns my stomach

I think its a waste giving them accomodation, when there are plenty of Irish people that need a place to live... especially with homes being repossessed during the recession...
    Enough of our own people are loosing jobs and unable to cope with mortgage repayments...

If we got rid of some of those gypsies we'd be able to look after more of our own

What is it about those three words?

And don't worry about houses, we could house the entire roma population in europe with all the vacant estates around ireland at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

0ubliette wrote: »
    So theyre all tired, poor starving huddled masses now?? And were all horrible racists for not wanting to help them, is that it?

I don't think you are racist for not wanting to help them. I just don't think that your assessment is fair in any respect. It certainly encourages ethnic hostility. If helping Roma is a clear solution to stop the poverty that they endure, and the effect of that poverty.
    Doesnt look like theyre starving to me, they all have cars (2 in each house they live in round here actually), and most of the girls ive seen have a mouthful of gold teeth. Perhaps if they were so desperate for food they could sell a car or the gold, eh?

Do they all? I don't think this is a correct notion. I am sure that a few have made a living for themselves in Ireland alright, but how you can say just because you have seen a few who do live comfortably that all must be living comfortably is a clear logical fallacy.

And yes there is a massive difference between saying 'no, dont allow homosexuals or black people into the country', and saying 'no, dont allow a group of people who are known for actively engaging in criminal or antisocial behaviour and have no intention of working or actively contributing to society in to do whatever they like.'

No there isn't at all. If homosexuals had been in poverty and had resorted to theft to provide for themselves it could well be them who you would be ranting on about. Likewise with blacks. Let's be realistic here.

The funny thing about this is when people say "Send them back home". Where on earth is their home? They do not have a country of a nation. They are an ethnic group with Indian descent. They have no homeland, so when you say "send them back home", you are really saying let another country deal with these "filth", "scum", etc because we in this country do not have the compassion to help.
    And youve seen a few in person yeah? Good for you. Try living with some man, youd change youre tune fairly fast i guarantee. The two houses near me where they live are practically mini halting sites. Not to mention the sudden increase in burglaries and their harrassment of elderly people in the area.

I'd like to hope I wouldn't become xenophobic. I certainly would consult the authorities though. People say the same type of things about Muslims. People said the same things about Jews. I just hope that people eventually will be able to engage with these people and find a solution to the overall problem. Isolation and marginalisation can have strange effects on a group of people. IMO, Ireland should be inclusive, rather than exclusive.
    Im not saying anyone has the right to run someone out of their home, thats not right, but i am saying that perhaps if these people didnt behave like scum people wouldnt treat them like scum.

So, you are kinda saying the Loyalists were justified. Even though these people were Romanian, not Roma? Totally different group of people being discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

And don't worry about houses, we could house the entire roma population in europe with all the vacant estates around ireland at the moment.

At 40 of the fkkrs per house , ya we could.

emma6606 wrote: »

Yes, and the Jews deliberately gave us Europeans the Black Death, and ate our children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

No there really isn't a difference. You are generalising people of minority group X, based on the behaviour of a portion of group X. I personally believe that people should be assessed as individuals in respect to their actions. It's the only way we can effectively decide on these things. It is also why our justice system is based on innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If our judges were like you, if a Roma person was suspected of pick pocketing you'd have them accused guilty before hearing the evidence. Why can't we apply this innocent before proven guilty to our views of ethnic / racial minorities. That's what I really can't understand.

People go on life experiences, its that simple. If i get robbed by a Roma at an ATM what do i do next time i see a group of them at another ATM? Do i go straight up thinking ah sure that's not the same ones who robbed me last time or do i find another machine? What if its a Junkie who held a syringe to me because i had my phone out. Do i walk past another group of junkies next time having a good old text? You are being extremely naive, no matter how good you are trying to be.
    You make it out as if every Roma steals for a living. To be honest with you when 75% of Roma live in poverty I'm quite frankly not surprised why they steal. If I were starving I would probably steal particularly if I was trying to provide for myself and my family.

Would you bring your babies out as distraction tools and in an effort to get somebody to hand over money? Make excuses all you like, they are just a nuisance.
    In other countries in the Balkans the Roma have been put into prostitution out of desperation by higher gangs. I don't think we are being reasonable in understanding the situation that these people are in before we suddenly leap into judging them.

So put up with it because they get treated poorly elsewhere? Just because stuff like that happens in other countries it doesnt mean they can scam their way through life here and expect people to just go ah sure the poor divils need to scam.

I've encountered quite a few yes. I unlike you do not believe that I can base my view of 100% based on a group of individuals.

No but you believe you can make excuses for them. "75% in poverty, prostitution, i understand why they steal and scam."

Everyone is subject to the law, don't be so ridiculous. They have been given entry into Ireland for a reason, therefore I think they should have every right to settle here.

Everyone is subject to law. Apart from the kids they send in to rob stuff knowing that they cant get in trouble for being minors.
    The real solution for the Roma problem would be if charitable projects could be set up to find housing and work for these people, giving them real opportunities. Perhaps also to disperse them around amongst other cultural groupings so as to challenge them to integrate and not to form ghettos. Why aren't we talking business if we truly want to solve the problem though?

A bit like giving travellers housing only for them to absolutely wreck the place. If they want to get work how about sending their kids to school instead of using them as pawns in their scams.

These people are all just like you and me when we get down to it, except they have had to endure much harder than you or me. As such I prefer to be a realist and think of solutions rather than take the far-right xenophobic (and that's exactly what it is) line of booting minorities out.

What about drug dealing scum from bad areas, should they get a free pass when they shoot a rival dealer in the head. After all, they had a harder life than us. Lets all get together and give them a great big hug.
    I'm not particularly nationalistic. I feel that some people take a ethnic view of what Irishness is, it won't work in the future. Being Irish must be subject to change. I personally consider the Irish as the people who are currently living in Ireland. As the demographics change, so does what it means to be Irish. Personally I think the Roma, Romanians, Afghans or anyone else coming into this country are as entitled to it as I am if they have legal permission.

The roma are a parasite to ireland, they aren't irish.

Jakkas makes a good point, Roma have no 'homeland' anyway, so where do you send them? I think they originate from the Punjab region of India but ye they are humans I guess, the world is their home. Umm maby send them to Mars or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

As others have said, change the poll to what it should be "Roma gypsies" and NOT Romanians.

Then I'll vote on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I think they originate from the Punjab region of India but ye they are humans I guess, the world is their home

The world is their jacks more like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The first thread where Jakkass is actually the voice of reason. What on earth has happened boards?

Whether you agree with Roma immigration or not, it does not justify the verbal and physical attacks against them. I'm glad you all take moral guidance from loyalist hoods - if it's not a catholic like Kevin McDaid - it's them "dirty m'grants". Not only have the Roma & Romanians being subject to attacks like this, but also the Polish, native Irish, and basically anyone who doesn't fit into the scheme of things with loyalism.

I'm disgusted to read some of the comments on here. Not one of you knew the families involved. You can stereotype all day if you want, but it just reveals your inherent bigotry.

not gonna disagree with that.

And why the hell would we do that? There are 8 million Roma gypsies in Europe. Do you want to bring them all to Ireland?

They are not Irish and we owe them nothing.

dlofnep wrote: »
    The first thread where Jakkass is actually the voice of reason. What on earth has happened boards?

Whether you agree with Roma immigration or not, it does not justify the verbal and physical attacks against them. I'm glad you all take moral guidance from loyalist hoods - if it's not a catholic like Kevin McDaid - it's them "dirty m'grants". Not only have the Roma & Romanians being subject to attacks like this, but also the Polish, native Irish, and basically anyone who doesn't fit into the scheme of things with loyalism.

I'm disgusted to read some of the comments on here. Not one of you knew the families involved. You can stereotype all day if you want, but it just reveals your inherent bigotry.

This is it for me, I'm not even able to say I find Roma immigration to have positive aspects because I just haven't seen any of it. From what I can see the Roma don't come here to better themselves or anything but violence used to move them? and people voting yes? are they taking the piss?

Yeah we all have that opinion because we are loyalists. God save the queen.

• Advertisement

Davei141 wrote: »
    People go on life experiences, its that simple. If i get robbed by a Roma at an ATM what do i do next time i see a group of them at another ATM? Do i go straight up thinking ah sure that's not the same ones who robbed me last time or do i find another machine? What if its a Junkie who held a syringe to me because i had my phone out. Do i walk past another group of junkies next time having a good old text? You are being extremely naive, no matter how good you are trying to be.

You ring the authorities the first time, and cancel your ATM card like most normal people do. Then generally one could carry on as previous.

Let me ask you, if I get robbed by a Jew at an ATM, and if I see Jews at the ATM, let's say they are ultra-Orthodox and I can tell immediately that they are Jews. Do I act the same as I normally would? Of course! I can't assume that all Jews will act the same.
    Would you bring your babies out as distraction tools and in an effort to get somebody to hand over money? Make excuses all you like, they are just a nuisance.

I've experienced this before too. I managed to stop it with a few times of saying "No, thanks". The idea eventually sunk in. I saw the childs father across the other side of the road having clearly told him to do this. Personally, if I was in poverty, and I needed to get food for myself and my family I'd have given it a shot.
    So put up with it because they get treated poorly elsewhere? Just because stuff like that happens in other countries it doesnt mean they can scam their way through life here and expect people to just go ah sure the poor divils need to scam.

Perhaps we should be trying not to treat them as badly and to give them a real shot at living here in Ireland instead of bad mouthing them continually?
    No but you believe you can make excuses for them. "75% in poverty, prostitution, i understand why they steal and scam."

Man, I'm telling you. If I were in a poverty situation I probably would thieve and scam too if the livelihood of my family and I depended on it. It certainly wouldn't be right, but I can't assume that I would act any different if I were in that situation.
    Everyone is subject to law. Apart from the kids they send in to rob stuff knowing that they cant get in trouble for being minors.

Where did I say that they weren't? For goodness sakes. Look, if I stole to provide for my family, and then got put in jail, I'd know it was for a fair reason even though it was for a necessary purpose. What I'm saying is we should be trying to help the Roma get into stable homes, stable jobs so that these things won't happen in the future. Understand me?
    A bit like giving travellers housing only for them to absolutely wreck the place. If they want to get work how about sending their kids to school instead of using them as pawns in their scams.

Can they afford to bring their children to school in many cases? Things cost. Ireland's a capitalist economy.
    What about drug dealing scum from bad areas, should they get a free pass when they shoot a rival dealer in the head. After all, they had a harder life than us. Lets all get together and give them a great big hug.

No. Rehabilitation in prison should sort that out if convicted. Education should also be an option and of course receiving stable housing to be repaid when they get stable work.
    The roma are a parasite to ireland, they aren't irish.

What is Irish? All it means to me is that I was lucky to be born here instead of some other part of the world such as Botswana.

PaulieD wrote: »
    And why the hell would we do that?

They are not Irish and we owe them nothing.

Yes Paulie I really believe Ireland would be able to house all the Roma in Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yeah we all have that opinion because we are loyalists. God save the queen.

I never stated that you were. But the views on here share similar levels of bigotry. I suppose that new-born child deserved to be subjected to that harassment because it was a Roma baby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Actually no, I wasn't stereotyping I was giving my opinion on personal expieriences that I have had with them which have all been bad.

The 70 families?

OK, Everybody is going on about Roma.

Does anybody have some information that they are actually, you know, Roma?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Yes Paulie I really believe Ireland would be able to house all the Roma in Europe.

I have no problem with my taxes housing Irelands poor. Charity starts at home.

You though, Marco, are a hypocrit. You support Israel and want Israel to remain Jewish, yet you champion the rights of all and sundry to emigrate to Ireland. Why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

K-9 wrote: »
    The 70 families?

They probably were not even Gypsies/Roma anyway since they said many of them were working.
    And romanians and gypsies do not live next to each other.

I don't want Israel to remain Jewish AT ALL PaulieD. I'm completely against the 'right to return' policy. This is only an internet forum, as a sig I had/have 'Jewish' as its a little unique in Ireland. I don't care that I'm of Jewish(Latvian) descent at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

K-9 wrote: »
    The 70 families?

Amnesty international is treating it as racism against Roma
    I'd believe them

http://www.amnesty.org/en/news-and-updates/news/belfast-roma-attacks-highlight-european-racism-issue-20090617

I don't want Israel to remain Jewish AT ALL PaulieD.

Thats not what you said last time I pulled you up on this. So you dont support Israels right to exist. Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yes, and the Jews deliberately gave us Europeans the Black Death, and ate our children.
    LOOK! Even the liberals are agreeing with us! Ship them off to Germany [/sarc]

=-=

Question: why did they settle in the most loylist part of NI, or were they put there by social welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

I distinctly remember back when Bertie Ahern was in power, the Romanian foreign minister publicly telling Ahern the Roma were good for nothings and brought nothing but trouble - iirc she advised Ireland directly not to let them in.

Regardless, Northern Ireland isn't exactly the bastion of tolerance or acceptance now is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't want Israel to remain Jewish AT ALL PaulieD.

So you would support a mass migration of unskilled Roma into the streets of israel ? (in the knowledge that they have approx 90% unemployment and are prone to begging and frequent allegations of anti-social behaviour ?)

Most jewish people I have come across tend to encourage/support migration into europe but never once have I heard a jewish person encourage migration INTO israel (referring to Non-jewish migration here).

Morlar wrote: »
    So you would support a mass migration of unskilled Roma into the streets of israel ? (in the knowledge that they have approx 90% unemployment and are prone to begging and frequent allegations of anti-social behaviour ?)

Most jewish people I have come across tend to encourage/support migration into europe but never once have I heard a jewish person encourage migration INTO israel (referring to Non-jewish migration here).

Do as I say not do as I do, it seems.

Thats not what you said last time I pulled you up on this. So you dont support Israels right to exist. Fair enough.

LOL, I said to you that 'Israel should remain Jewish'. Please tell me when this was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Get them OUT!

Considering Israel (including Occupied Territories) is only roughly 20,000 sq kilometres in size, and contains 11 million people. I doubt there is much more room. They have enough problems to deal with :)

Mind you Israel has been accomodating to Sudanese refugees even when Israel is currently has a status of "at war" with them.
    Most jewish people I have come across tend to encourage/support migration into europe but never once have I heard a jewish person encourage immigration INTO israel (referring to Non-jewish immigration here).

Israel contains quite a diversity of people, Arabs, Jews and Europeans being the three most notable groups that come to mind. Although it is slightly off topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭happyfriday

Dardania wrote: »
    could you modify the poll to say:

Roma Gypsies
    All Romanians
    No

Thats the fair way to deal with peoples opinions...

It's the Roma Gypsies that are the problem, they'd take the sight and all out of your eye if they got half the chance. But I had to mark nay as I don't think it's fair to tar them all with the one brush, Romanians are not the problem, most of them can't stand the Gypsies either.

You ring the authorities the first time, and cancel your ATM card like most normal people do. Then generally one could carry on as previous.

When i ring the authorities do i mention they are Roma's or do i proceed to describe them leaving out the most obvious detail? Oh yes carry on as previous, because being the victim of crime doesnt have any effect on you mentally.
    Let me ask you, if I get robbed by a Jew at an ATM, and if I see Jews at the ATM, let's say they are ultra-Orthodox and I can tell immediately that they are Jews. Do I act the same as I normally would? Of course! I can't assume that all Jews will act the same.

If there was a problem in the city with thieving, scamming ultra orthodox jews who never worked a day in their life and every experience with such group had been a bad one, would you act normally then?

I've experienced this before too. I managed to stop it with a few times of saying "No, thanks". The idea eventually sunk in. I saw the childs father across the other side of the road having clearly told him to do this. Personally, if I was in poverty, and I needed to get food for myself and my family I'd have given it a shot.

We know you are talking crap when a "No thanks" gets rid of one. I don't know how often they have grabbed my arm. How do you know he was in poverty? More excuses.

Perhaps we should be trying not to treat them as badly and to give them a real shot at living here in Ireland instead of bad mouthing them continually?

Let them do something decent first?

Man, I'm telling you. If I were in a poverty situation I probably would thieve and scam too if the livelihood of my family and I depended on it. It certainly wouldn't be right, but I can't assume that I would act any different if I were in that situation.

How do you know? Is that your reason for them being a bunch of good for nothing thieves? That they have to do it? That's very convenient for them.

Where did I say that they weren't? For goodness sakes. Look, if I stole to provide for my family, and then got put in jail, I'd know it was for a fair reason even though it was for a necessary purpose. What I'm saying is we should be trying to help the Roma get into stable homes, stable jobs so that these things won't happen in the future. Understand me?

Travellers for years now have had homes given to them and loads of opportunities to go to school, get a job and do well in life yet how many travellers finished school? How many of them still act like scum thieving and scamming? And dont even try tell me they have to do that to survive. Its Deja vu, handing over houses and jobs and suddenly everything will change? It wont change.

Can they afford to bring their children to school in many cases? Things cost. Ireland's a capitalist economy.

You have every excuse covered don't you. Im sure they can stump up some of the scam money to give their child an education, if they WANTED to.

No. Rehabilitation in prison should sort that out if convicted. Education should also be an option and of course receiving stable housing to be repaid when they get stable work.

And a nice telly thrown in.

What is Irish? All it means to me is that I was lucky to be born here instead of some other part of the world such as Botswana.

If they consider themselves Irish, then they are Irish. If they don't, they ain't. I doubt the Roma's give a crap about nationality, once they can scam people they are happy.

• Advertisement

LOL, I said to you that 'Israel should remain Jewish'. Please tell me when this was.

You said you where very pro Israel, the foundation of the Israeli state was "a jewish state for jewish people". It is next to impossible for non Jews to immigrate to Israel. You said you support this. Thats fair enough, but why do you then support the rights of all and sundry to immigrate to Ireland?

When I called you up on the "Proud to be Jewish" signature you deleted it and claimed it was a "laugh". Sure it was. As I said, you are a hypocrite.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT ISRAEL. I have never ever been to Israel. I don't know anything about Israel. Both my parents are Atheist, I am as well.

In conclusion Israel doesn't concern me so stop asking me questions like I am the embassador or somethin

You said you where very pro Israel, the foundation of the Israeli state was "a jewish state for jewish people". It is next to impossible for non Jews to immigrate to Israel. You said you support this. Thats fair enough, but why do you then support the rights of all and sundry to immigrate to Ireland?

When I called you up on the "Proud to be Jewish" signature you deleted it and claimed it was a "laugh". Sure it was. As I said, you are a hypocrite.

Which I followed up directly by saying Pro-Palestine. I didn't say I was 'very pro-Israel' I meant pro the people who live there.

What I really meant to say was pro-jewish, anti-zionist, so yeah blame my terrible 16 year old level english skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

http://www.osi.hu/rpp/Racisms.html

Coming soon — the Italian solution? :mad:

From p.29-30:
    On 13 May, about 60 unidentified Italian citizens,
    armed with bats, attacked the Ponticelli Romani camp, throwing Molotov cocktails at
    the homes. Luckily no one was injured during the attack, but the homes of the Romani
    inhabitants were burned to the ground with all of their personal possessions.
    According to documentation gathered by the Coalition, that evening hundred of Italians
    persons armed with bats and rocks attacked another Romani camp in the area, throwing
    rocks at the inhabitants and their homes. Amongst the attackers were youth and children.
    Approximately 800 Roma of Romanian origin, including women and children, were
    attacked by locals as they left the Ponticelli Camp by night, without any of their personal
    belongings. Many of them returned to Romania or sought refuge in other Romani camps
    around Italy. Reportedly, only a few Romani individuals stayed in Naples, but they refused
    interviews because of fear. All personal effects or property were abandoned in the camps
    they were forced to leave by night.
    Police representatives from Naples, who were at the site of the former camp in Ponticelli
    during the Coalition’s mission, stated “there is no way the Roma could return” because the
    municipality planned to build a commercial centre on the former site of the Romani camp
    and because local Italian residents would ensure the Roma would not return to Ponticelli
    under any circumstance.
    Two weeks later, on 28 May, the same camp was set on fire for the second time by
    unknown perpetrators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Yeah, send the bloody Romulans home :mad:

I DON'T CARE ABOUT ISRAEL. I have never ever been to Israel. I don't know anything about Israel. Both my parents are Atheist, I am as well.

In conclusion Israel doesn't concern me so stop asking me questions like I am the embassador or somethin

So, in a matter of weeks you have went from being "Proud to be Jewish" to an atheist and from being "very pro Israel" to not caring about Israel. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

The distinction between Romanians and Roma Gypsies seems to have been lost on various media outlets-which is unfortunate.

However even within the Roma I have noticed two varieties in Dublin and also other cities. The most prevalent are the ones you see begging-tend to wear long and brightly coloured dresses etc. Most are from Romania but I know that many are also from other countries.
    I've also seen others-definitely some branch of the gypsy family-their dress is very similar but tends to be black and never brightly coloured. Also I've never seen these ones begging, and, dare I say say it, have even seen a few of them who aren't bad looking either. Does anybody know what the distinction is between these two "groups"? Or has anybody else even noticed the latter group?

I never stated that you were. But the views on here share similar levels of bigotry. I suppose that new-born child deserved to be subjected to that harassment because it was a Roma baby?

Speaking of new-borns. I guess all the roma babies floating around Dublin being used as pawns to scam in the middle of winter and all year round, i guess you have no problems with that? "Loyalists harass newborn baby!" is a great headline.

Ever heard of a 'cultural Jew', in the USA you can say many people who would consider themselves Jewish but also Atheist.

Also many Jews are against Zionism.

Which I followed up directly by saying Pro-Palestine. I didn't say I was 'very pro-Israel' I meant pro the people who live there.

What I really meant to say was pro-jewish, anti-zionist, so yeah blame my terrible 16 year old level english skills.

No problems, Marco.:) At your age you should be out chasing pussy.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Speaking of new-borns. I guess all the roma babies floating around Dublin being used as pawns to scam in the middle of winter and all year round, i guess you have no problems with that?

Its terrible that parents would do that. Still doesn't justify intimidation the forceful removal of the those children.

Let’s be clear, Those who voted yes to this poll are in effect supporting a form of ethnic cleansing. You are entitled to do that but it’s no harm to be aware that you are effectively supporting the actions of Hitler and Milosevic. The question in the poll was not 'Have you bad experience with Roma people?', but rather whether you supported all people of a certain background been forced out of Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement