Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Romanians being forced home yay or nay?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Davei141 wrote: »
    When i ring the authorities do i mention they are Roma's or do i proceed to describe them leaving out the most obvious detail? Oh yes carry on as previous, because being the victim of crime doesnt have any effect on you mentally.

Any characteristic that can help the police to find any criminal is important. For example, if I was robbed by someone with a skullcap on. I would mention this. Well, if I had sorted out the crime, and if it had been resolved, why would I let it have an effect on me?
    If there was a problem in the city with thieving, scamming ultra orthodox jews who never worked a day in their life and every experience with such group had been a bad one, would you act normally then?

Generalisation: This assumes that all Roma do the following:
    • scam
    • never work
    • thieve
    I'm personally not convinced that all do these things.
    We know you are talking crap when a "No thanks" gets rid of one. I don't know how often they have grabbed my arm. How do you know he was in poverty? More excuses.

Several times. Conveniently a bus also rolled up at the time, which was probably an extra incentive to get them to go away. I personally wasn't that annoyed by it.

As for how did I know that he was in poverty. Well clothing is a good indicator. They were dirty and torn in places.
    Let them do something decent first?

Luckily I believe our society is based on Judeo-Christian virtues and that we should be reaching out to the poor and marginalised. Remember that story about the Jew on the way between Jerusalem and Jericho they used to tell you about at Sunday school? :)

This was an answer given to the question "Who is my neighbour". I think the Roma are our neighbours too. I think anyone can appreciate this even if they are non-Christian.
    How do you know? Is that your reason for them being a bunch of good for nothing thieves? That they have to do it? That's very convenient for them.

We haven't established the fact of whether or not all Roma are thieves yet.
    Travellers for years now have had homes given to them and loads of opportunities to go to school, get a job and do well in life yet how many travellers finished school? How many of them still act like scum thieving and scamming? And dont even try tell me they have to do that to survive. Its Deja vu, handing over houses and jobs and suddenly everything will change? It wont change.

No doubt there will be an uphill struggle to integrate people into society, however it is ultimately worth it.

I don't believe all Roma steal, and scam. Therefore your point is wasted on me.
    You have every excuse covered don't you. Im sure they can stump up some of the scam money to give their child an education, if they WANTED to.

It's called reality.
    If they consider themselves Irish, then they are Irish. If they don't, they ain't. I doubt the Roma's give a crap about nationality, once they can scam people they are happy.

To consider yourself Irish, you first have to be welcomed to do so especially if you are from a foreign country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Its terrible that parents would do that. Still doesn't justify intimidation the forceful removal of the those children.

Let’s be clear, Those who voted yes to this poll are in effect supporting a form of ethnic cleansing. You are entitled to do that but it’s no harm to be aware that you are effectively supporting the actions of Hitler and Milosevic. The question in the poll was not 'Have you bad experience with Roma people?', but rather whether you supported all people of a certain background been forced out of Northern Ireland.

If the title was do you support gassing and murdering the Roma, maybe you would have a point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

Its terrible that parents would do that. Still doesn't justify intimidation the forceful removal of the those children.

Let’s be clear, Those who voted yes to this poll are in effect supporting a form of ethnic cleansing. You are entitled to do that but it’s no harm to be aware that you are effectively supporting the actions of Hitler and Milosevic. The question in the poll was not 'Have you bad experience with Roma people?', but rather whether you supported all people of a certain background been forced out of Northern Ireland.

Shocking really:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭golum

Don't know why they ever bothered with Norn Iron in the first place anyway. If I had a choice between Romania and NI I would choose Romania without hesitation

Jakkass wrote: »
    Any characteristic that can help the police to find any criminal is important. For example, if I was robbed by someone with a skullcap on. I would mention this. Well, if I had sorted out the crime, and if it had been resolved, why would I let it have an effect on me?

Because experiences effect peoples outlook. You can go on about moving on all you like but reality is very much different.

Generalisation: This assumes that all Roma do the following:
    • scam
    • never work
    • thieve
    I'm personally not convinced that all do these things.

Well you spent enough time convincing yourself in the form of excuses earlier.

Several times. Conveniently a bus also rolled up at the time, which was probably an extra incentive to get them to go away. I personally wasn't that annoyed by it.

As for how did I know that he was in poverty. Well clothing is a good indicator. They were dirty and torn in places.

Personally if i got hassled it would piss me off no end. Be they junkies, Roma's or concern. Naturally your clothes be dirty when you are sitting down with a cup shouting at people all day.

Luckily I believe our society is based on Judeo-Christian virtues and that we should be reaching out to the poor and marginalised. Remember that story about the Jew on the way between Jerusalem and Jericho they used to tell you about at Sunday school? :)

This was an answer given to the question "Who is my neighbour". I think the Roma are our neighbours too. I think anyone can appreciate this even if they are non-Christian.

I don't think like that.

We haven't established the fact of whether or not all Roma are thieves yet.

But you still rattled off plenty of excuses in case it turned out they were thieves.

No doubt there will be an uphill struggle to integrate people into society, however it is ultimately worth it.

I don't believe all Roma steal, and scam. Therefore your point is wasted on me.

Well you trot out figures of 75% in poverty and then go on about how you would steal too. Which is it, 75% are in poverty and steal or what? The majority steal to survive so lets not like the majority spoil it for the minority?

It's called reality.

And reality is education is not part of their culture. Money or not.

To consider yourself Irish, you first have to be welcomed to do so especially if you are from a foreign country.

And why would you welcome somebody who steals from you?

Me too. If you're gonna live crap might as well do it in a nice(or nicer) climate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Kick out all the old gypsy ladies that claim they ar physic and siht? And all the gyps that like throwin' oranges and ireland would be a much happier place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

Wasn't that guy who got attacked on his doorstep saved by his Romanian neighbour? He's been living here and working for 10 years or so..

I dislike beggers and people who rob the country, but people like that come in many nationalities, shapes and forms.

Pure pro-Romanian propaganda. He wanted to rob the house for himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

With the Roma it's a Catch 22 situation. In the Czech Republic for example, nobody employs them because they're Roma, so they live in sh1t-houses off welfare payments, prostitution and whatever else they can do to get money. 95% of the Czech Roma got wiped out by the Nazis, but they had a new influx after WW2 because the communists decided to spread all the central and eastern european Roma around the Iron Curtain countries. They imagined that they would integrate better, but they still kept themselves to themselves because nobody wanted anything to do with them.

Now the neo-nazis are on the case, there are many cases of them getting beaten up, or their properties getting fire-bombed, or both.

They're a lost cause, and I don't think that anyone's got any answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Size=everything

Irishcrx wrote: »
    So according to the news, 70 + of the Romanians which have sustained abuse in th enorth are now flying home, whats peoples opinions? I for one don't see it as a really bad thing, I don't like them outstraight, i've had them attempting to rob me before, begging on corners every where I look, never working, raping the government for anything they can. Good ridance I say. Maybe the north are on to a way of getting them out. However I don't condole them being outright assaulted.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0626/racism.html

LOL you are aware that there is a difference between Romanians and Roma Gypsies just like theres a difference between Irish and the Irish travelling community? What a ignorant individual you are. People like you really shouldn't have an opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

If the title was do you support gassing and murdering the Roma, maybe you would have a point.

You are confusing Genocide with Ethnic Cleansing. Ethnic Cleansing (as practiced by Hitler and Milosevic) is the forced removal of people of a certain ethnicity from an area. That can be done by genocide (i.e. killing them all) but not necessarily.

Remember, not all Jews were killed in the Holocaust. The majority were forced out of the German Reich. The Nazis allowed and indeed encouraged the Jewish to be repatriated to other countries.

Kick out all the old gypsy ladies that claim they ar physic and siht? And all the gyps that like throwin' oranges and ireland would be a much happier place :)

I would kick out old psychic ladies if I could, and old psycho ladies generally.
    What about young roma ladies though? A small proportion who I would let stay-even if they threw the odd orange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have no time for gypsies or their so called "culture" tbh. I do find it disheartening how much certain Irish people have lowered themselves in recent weeks though. The thuggery displayed towards the families in Belfast and towards the people exercising their democratic right to protest is unbecoming of a member of civilised society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Just finished reading Auschwitz by Laurence Rees, looks like things havent changed much.going by this thread:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

So according to the news, 70 + of the Romanians which have sustained abuse in th enorth are now flying home, whats peoples opinions? I for one don't see it as a really bad thing, I don't like them outstraight, i've had them attempting to rob me before, begging on corners every where I look, never working, raping the government for anything they can. Good ridance I say. Maybe the north are on to a way of getting them out. However I don't condole them being outright assaulted.

When they attempted to rob you, did you hook him/her/it in the jaw? Iv seen it been done. Never happened to me but 3 of those gypsie burds did offer me fugy fugy at 3 in the afternoon while i was on a lunch break...knew i shouldn't have bought that extra bar.

I bet they wont see that coming:pac:

Famous Roma include Eric Cantona, Jose Antonio Reyes and Andrea Pirlo.

Reyes I think is the only one from an actual Roma community though, Andrea Pirlo is the son of a Lawyer so yeah.

Your one Cher is of Roma descent I heard as well

dylano_k wrote: »
    When they attempted to rob you, did you hook him/her/it in the jaw? Iv seen it been done. Never happened to me but 3 of those gypsie burds did offer me fugy fugy at 3 in the afternoon while i was on a lunch break...knew i shouldn't have bought that extra bar.

whats a fugy fugy?

You are confusing Genocide with Ethnic Cleansing. Ethnic Cleansing (as practiced by Hitler and Milosevic) is the forced removal of people of a certain ethnicity from an area. That can be done by genocide (i.e. killing them all) but not necessarily.

Remember, not all Jews were killed in the Holocaust. The majority were forced out of the German Reich. The Nazis allowed and indeed encouraged the Jewish to be repatriated to other countries.

Nazi-lite, the cold refreshing non lethal beverage.
    Just finished reading Auschwitz by Laurence Rees, looks like things havent changed much.going by this thread:rolleyes:

Yeah people are still being gassed and there a huge war on raging across europe, didn't you get the memo? Dev
    Brian just sent his condolences to some high up bloke who died.

Reyes I think is from an actual Roma community though.

Why didn't you tell us this earlier? Let them stay!

• Advertisement

whats a fugy fugy?

Sex, Its Fcuky ****y in their accent, you cant say **** on this !

lol were they hot?

whats a fugy fugy?

Some kind of chocolate bar sold by certain roma ladies...usually in parks and dark corners of temple bar at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Reyes I think is the only one from an actual Roma community though, Andrea Pirlo is the son of a Lawyer so yeah.

Your one Cher is of Roma descent I heard as well

Your examples are mostly people who have fully integrated into society and have had an opportunity to develop skills. Sitting in ghettos looking for handouts engenders contempt.

When the Roma first arrived here in numbers (Ceausescu's time if I remember correctly) they had an opportunity to be who they wanted to be. They were not yet a byword for stealing and scamming. There were no stereotypes as nobody knew anything about them. They have chosen to destroy their own image with their fecklessness and greed. Irish society cannot be blamed for reacting. Indeed society cannot be blamed for using a wider brush than necessary. If I get burned drinking scalding coffee I'll be more cautious the next time. It's probably not fair but that's life.

Tbh the sort of Roma we get here are probably feted in their community for dipping 30 pockets in an afternoon or raising three daughters for the white slave industry or managing to bling up all their teeth on the proceeds of crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Dinter wrote: »
    Your examples are mostly people who have fully integrated into society and have had an opportunity to develop skills. Sitting in ghettos looking for handouts engenders contempt.

Those examples seem to come from here :

http://en.allexperts.com/e/l/li/list_of_roma_people.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the page . . . .

People with Roma heritage
    The Roma heritage of many of these people is
    not verified, contested and/or extremely distant.

Well Reyes is definetly a Gitano(I think thats the term for Roma in Spain)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Well Reyes is definetly a Gitano(I think thats the term for Roma in Spain)

That's not quite the same as what you said though is it ?

People with Roma heritage
    The Roma heritage of many of these people is
    not verified, contested and/or extremely distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Ever heard of a 'cultural Jew', in the USA you can say many people who would consider themselves Jewish but also Atheist.
    They do that to get jobs in Hollywood :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

And you knew each of them personally?
    Didn't think so.

Nothing a good ole dose of fire won't sort out.
    Infracted.
    Daroxtar wrote: »
    And already they're the victims:rolleyes:.

I have worked with plenty of romanians and they are pretty much all decent people. Most of them think Roma gypsies are absolute scum. They know a lot more about them than we do so i'll trust their judgement.
    So we should hate the Roma because the Romanians hate them?

walshb wrote: »
    Roma-Romanian, Big-Shmig, close enough for me!:)
    Note to self. Go back and ban walshb for this post.

I have first hand experience of a Roma family moving into an area and destroying the place so yeah run them
    I have first hand experience of people from Galway doing the same thing. What's your point?

emma6606 wrote: »
    The Roma Gypsies should all be quarantined before being allowed in here in the first place... dirty smelly gits - coming over here with their exotic diseases.

The thoughts of my hard earned tax money being given to them turns my stomach

I think its a waste giving them accomodation, when there are plenty of Irish people that need a place to live... especially with homes being repossessed during the recession...
    Enough of our own people are loosing jobs and unable to cope with mortgage repayments...

If we got rid of some of those gypsies we'd be able to look after more of our own
    Note to self. Go back and ban this user.
    People go on life experiences, its that simple. If i get robbed by a Roma at an ATM what do i do next time i see a group of them at another ATM? Do i go straight up thinking ah sure that's not the same ones who robbed me last time or do i find another machine? What if its a Junkie who held a syringe to me because i had my phone out. Do i walk past another group of junkies next time having a good old text? You are being extremely naive, no matter how good you are trying to be.

Would you bring your babies out as distraction tools and in an effort to get somebody to hand over money? Make excuses all you like, they are just a nuisance.

So put up with it because they get treated poorly elsewhere? Just because stuff like that happens in other countries it doesnt mean they can scam their way through life here and expect people to just go ah sure the poor divils need to scam.

No but you believe you can make excuses for them. "75% in poverty, prostitution, i understand why they steal and scam."

Everyone is subject to law. Apart from the kids they send in to rob stuff knowing that they cant get in trouble for being minors.

A bit like giving travellers housing only for them to absolutely wreck the place. If they want to get work how about sending their kids to school instead of using them as pawns in their scams.

What about drug dealing scum from bad areas, should they get a free pass when they shoot a rival dealer in the head. After all, they had a harder life than us. Lets all get together and give them a great big hug.

The roma are a parasite to ireland, they aren't irish.
    Banned.

Bambi wrote: »
    The world is their jacks more like.
    Infracted.

PaulieD wrote: »
    And why the hell would we do that? There are 8 million Roma gypsies in Europe. Do you want to bring them all to Ireland?

They are not Irish and we owe them nothing.
    Banned.

Elessar wrote: »
    I distinctly remember back when Bertie Ahern was in power, the Romanian foreign minister publicly telling Ahern the Roma were good for nothings and brought nothing but trouble - iirc she advised Ireland directly not to let them in.

Regardless, Northern Ireland isn't exactly the bastion of tolerance or acceptance now is it?
    See, here's the thing.
    The Romanians hate them, so how the **** are they supposed to get jobs when nobody will employ them?

No dogs, No blacks, No Irish roma.
    It's the Roma Gypsies that are the problem, they'd take the sight and all out of your eye if they got half the chance. But I had to mark nay as I don't think it's fair to tar them all with the one brush, Romanians are not the problem, most of them can't stand the Gypsies either.
    Indeed. Don't go tarring people with the same brush. I'd use the roll eyes smilie here, but I don't like it.

LOL you are aware that there is a difference between Romanians and Roma Gypsies just like theres a difference between Irish and the Irish travelling community? What a ignorant individual you are. People like you really shouldn't have an opinion
    Infracted.

Here's the deal.
    A group of people have been forced to leave their homes because of violent loyalists.
    These are descendants of the people who once forced Irish people from their homes.
    Yet here we have some Irish people cheering them on.

Do you people have no perspective, or are you the sort to deny what has happened in our past?

you are essentially cheering on scumbags.
    You people ****ing sicken me.

Loyalists are the lowest of the low and are the scum of the earth. They would do the same thing (and have done for hundreds of years) to Irish people, yet you all sit back and cheer them on.

you are either complete ****ing idiots or your heads are so far up your own arses that you have no idea what happens in the real world.

Cop the **** on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement