Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insect repellent? What good to use.

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

I heard the Nevia made a skin care lotion that was a sure bet as to keeping midges away but i can't recall the exact name?

Does anyone know of any new wonder product that works well;)

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Moved from hunting to give a little broader exposure to the topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Avon Skin So Soft?

See this thread over in the Nature & Bird Watching forum:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055579423

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Citronella oil is supposed to be good, just don't put it on neat! and you'll smell nice too!

CS

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

I use Lifesystems Expedition 50+. It contains 50% DEET, the higher the DEET content the better but its not great for you, it can irritate the skin. You can get one with only 20% DEET which might do if you're not going to be somewhere with too many midge...I've tried loads of brands and found this one the best....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The Avon stuff works. Even Lifesystems Expedition 100 does not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I find that anything that more than 30% deet doesn't absorb in to the skin and hence isn't very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I use Autan family insect repellent (contains aloe vera too!!) from Bayer as recommended by fishermen off the west coast. It works fairly well for midgies but as i work outside I tend to sweat it off (like all the rest) and it can be a b*****d on the eyes. but on the whole effective.

http://www.autan.com/nqcontent.cfm?a_name=Info

has new ingredient Icaridin, my bottle's sticker refers to bayrepel

http://www.fine.lanxess.com/fch/en/info/press_release/bayrepel/

DEET replaced by Bayrepel

http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstracts/Abstract.aspx?AcNo=20043179795

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Was in Wicklow this week. Midgets were that thick you couldn't breathe.

I was using Lifesystem 100 and TBH it wasn't working due to the amount of them.

Mosquito Net and Gloves are your friends in situations like that

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

depending on person to person, chemicals can not work, or be worse than the problem. citronella oil helps a little bit. as do citronella candles. but far from perfect. mozzy nets help a lot, but are not up to keeping you midge-free as they are small enough to walk between the weave.
    so far the best thing for midges i have found is fire. you cannot always light a fire to make smoke, so what i use is a tin can deallyo i made. its a two can affair that can be carried on a stick. i light some wood shavings to get a coal of horse hoof fungus going. then when its smoldering i pop a few green leaves in to make smoke. it does not BURN, but smolders away releasing a small amount of smoke. midges hate it. use lemon balm and sage leaves for a lovely smell. due to using horse-hoof fungus (dried and cubed) it keeps going about an hour per charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

autan stick is the best,was eatin alive with lots of other ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭blossom180

if you going abroard ,where to,if there is a salt lake near you ,u will be eatin to bits

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

gin is a decent insect repellant, especially if sweating it out of you. can't recommend it though..... side effects include cirrhosis of the liver....

Advertisement