Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie McCreevy claims today that most EU countries would reject Lisbon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And Charlie McCreevy's evidence for this is?

dismissively,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

a pat on the back to ireland,it just shows that the EU is un democratic if we would have had a chance in the UK i am sure we would have rejected it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy says Irish people shouldn't be ashamed about their rejection of the Lisbon Treaty.

Speaking in Dublin this morning, McCreevy admitted that the treaty would have been rejected in most member states if it had been put to a public vote.

He said many EU leaders were glad they had no legal obligation to hold referenda on the treaty in their own countries.

---
    not that i agree or disagree - but the fact he is an eu commissioner and stated that most eu leaders are glad they dont have to hold it to a vote seems to indicate that he has talked to them...

EU Commissioner Charlie McCreevy says Irish people shouldn't be ashamed about their rejection of the Lisbon Treaty.

Speaking in Dublin this morning, McCreevy admitted that the treaty would have been rejected in most member states if it had been put to a public vote.

He said many EU leaders were glad they had no legal obligation to hold referenda on the treaty in their own countries.

---
    not that i agree or disagree - but the fact he is an eu commissioner and stated that most eu leaders are glad they dont have to hold it to a vote seems to indicate that he has talked to them...

Again, though, we're in "argument from convenience" territory - "Charlie McCreevy should know, because he's an EU Commissioner". What else would we take McCreevy's word for? Hmm...nothing much, actually. Would you take his word for the Lisbon Treaty being a great thing, and vote Yes on that account?

I'm sure most politicians are damned glad they don't have referendums on things like Lisbon, because referendums are hard work and their outcome is uncertain. However, all that tells us is that most of the EU's politicians are less than confident of their ability to 'manage' their electorates (unlike FF) - and that's exactly as it should be.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

okay

reject everyones opinion and word - no one has any right to say anything, no one can be trusted and no one has experience

no, i take a balanced view on things. i tend and try to listen to all sides and then decide what i think about them, thats all anyone can do.

referendums are tricky and their outcome not set in stone and cant be predicted, true.

but if they truly believed this would revolutionize the eu and make it better - they would stand by it and put it to a vote, where that is legally possibly, as they could easily defend it

they don have to manage the electorate, they have to present the facts and why this is good for europe - they obviously feel it is - and from what i read it on the whole does look good for europe. so where possible let people vote
    it would raise peoples eu spirit, make them more trusting, make them innvolved maybe they would vote in the elections next time and we wouldnt have an embarrassing turnout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

Scofflaw wrote: »
    However, all that tells us is that most of the EU's politicians are less than confident of their ability to 'manage' their electorates (unlike FF) - and that's exactly as it should be.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The mask drops

ff couldnt manage the faroe islands......

The mask drops

Er, yes, I think FF are very confident of their ability to 'manage' the electorate - or were.

"The masks slips"! Could you possibly take me up more wrong?

amused,
    Scofflaw

no, i agree with scofflaw here

fianna fáil had the electorate, (have still?), under their hand.

they are a bunch of useless pricks, but peoples perception of them is they are capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Every utterance from said commissioner is a further reminder of why he was shipped off to Europe. Regrettably instead of just being "content" with a commissioner's salary and concentrating on own brief, he has continued to make an ass of himself without any prompting whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

Er, yes, I think FF are very confident of their ability to 'manage' the electorate - or were.

I took it the same way - as a criticism of FF rather than of the electorate. I think we forget that given how tattered the government are looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Morgans

And Charlie McCreevy's evidence for this is?

dismissively,
    Scofflaw

I dont think that there is any ambiguity in what Charlie McCreevy is saying. Of course, its his opinion, and it makes sound sense. EU politicians arent stupid and selling the EU to any electorate is tricky. It doesnt mean it was right or wrong to reject Lisbon. Asking for evidence etc is childish and I would have thought beneath you. Its hardly rocket science. The Constitution was rejected twice. If the Irish people werent asked, the Lisbon treaty would have been ratified with barely a dissenting voice in the parliament. Like with the French dodge on the referendum re-run, its hardly showing representative democracy in its finest light.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Every utterance from said commissioner is a further reminder of why he was shipped off to Europe. Regrettably instead of just being "content" with a commissioner's salary and concentrating on own brief, he has continued to make an ass of himself without any prompting whatsoever.

Ditto. Man, he's noisy. The government must just weep whenever he pops his head up. This must dispell any doubt in people's minds that McCreevy somehow represents Irelands interests or is Commisioner for Ireland rather than his actual title, which is Commissioner for Foot in Mouth. Sorry, "Internal Markets"...

no one said he speaks for ireland

he is an eu commissioner and like it or not would have a better view on what the leaders of the various countries think - on eu matters and lisbon.

no one said he speaks for ireland

You know that and I know that, but there were quite a lot of questions last year about whether he was representing Ireland or not.
    he is an eu commissioner and like it or not would have a better view on what the leaders of the various countries think - on eu matters and lisbon.

I'd agree with that - I'm sure the Council and the Commission are in very close contact. I'm not so sure he'd know what the public think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

is_that_so wrote: »

and yet
    NO - Abolish each State's present right to "propose" and decide who its national Commissioner is, by replacing it with a right to make"suggestions" only for the incoming Commission President to decide (Art.17.7 TEU). The Commission, which is appointed not elected, has the monopoly of proposing all European laws. Ireland's No vote last year secured a commitment to a permanent Commissioner for all. But what is the point of every EU State continuing to have its own Commissioner post-Lisbon when it can no longer decide who that Commissioner will be? Under the present Nice Treaty Member States would continue to decide that, and can continue too to have their own national Commissioner indefinitely as well.

Thinks we should continue to let the government use the commission position as something to dump our useless garbage on.

Give the EU the power to say *no* to idiots like McCreevy!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

no, i agree with scofflaw here

fianna fáil had the electorate, (have still?), under their hand.

they are a bunch of useless pricks, but peoples perception of them is they are capable.

Didn't do a great job last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

would he be elected if ireland and other states elected ''their'' commissioners?

age old question........

no they didnt

but they still have 25% of votes - they do have the electorate under the thumb

"The masks slips"! Could you possibly take me up more wrong?

amused,
    Scofflaw

ok... I think I did take you up wrong... for a second there I was wondering were you an impartial moderator at all... or do mods have to be impartial?

they can be fairy goddesses (insert random thing here) if they so wish

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ok... I think I did take you up wrong... for a second there I was wondering were you an impartial moderator at all... or do mods have to be impartial?
    We have to be impartial in our role as moderator - we're still allowed to have and express opinions on the topics being discussed.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    We have to be impartial in our role as moderator - we're still allowed to have and express opinions on the topics being discussed.

in that case I did pick up Scofflaw wrong, and god knows who else... so apologies guys n gals :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

ff couldnt manage the faroe islands......

I believe they could comfortably manage Rockall, and I propose dispatching them there immediately. :D

Meanwhile back at the farm, Charlie McCreevey will have much more contact with EU governments and politicians than any man in the street would. If he feels that the majority of EU citizens would reject Lisbon then I am prepared to believe that he is simply reflecting the views of said politicians. That would seem to be borne out by the French and Dutch vote, and by the strength of feeling in the UK at least (G.Brown didn't dare to hold the referendum he promised in his election manifesto), thus reflecting the true democratic thrust of the Treaty.

Unfortunately we never hear the true voices of the people in a vast community like Europe. We only hear the interpretation of the media and the speeches of politicians, both of which have their own axes to grind. The real question for me is do we want a united states of europe, and in the absence of referenda in every member state we will not know the answer. However, what evidence I have seen suggests we don't.

So should the EU require a referendum on Lisbon in every member state? For my money no. It should come all out and ask "Do you want a federal European state with a single government, where individual countries simply become states (as in the USA and Russia) under federal law?" The anwer to that, I suspect, would be a resounding "NO". Stop creeping up on it.

No doubt the old argument would be rolled out that Europe must compete with the USA, and so we need a single political bloc that can exert its influence in the way that the USA does. Fine, but it took the USA 400 years and a civil war to achieve that. Better start now!

My opinion, for what very little it's worth, is that one could indeed dream of an European Federation as I do, but I imagine that will require a common first language, federal tax and legal system, and a common system of justice. Will the French people accept English as their first language? Will the Germans accept the power of their industry being subservient to French interests? Will the Baltic and Muslim states with no experience of democracy want to accept what is fundamentally a Christian Western philosophy?

Maybe the 400 years starts now?

ART6 wrote: »
    The real question for me is do we want a united states of europe, and in the absence of referenda in every member state we will not know the answer. However, what evidence I have seen suggests we don't.
    I certainly don't, and I know very few people who do.

Thankfully, it's not on the agenda - except in the imaginations of some euroskeptics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I certainly don't, and I know very few people who do.

Thankfully, it's not on the agenda - except in the imaginations of some euroskeptics.

Depends upon whose's agenda?

Oh, I'm sure it's on some people's agendas. But not that of those who actually decide the future of the EU (its members), so it's moot.

steel union

economic community

union

federation of states......... sure thats an illogical step and will never happen

steel union

economic community

union

federation of states......... sure thats an illogical step and will never happen

When I was a baby, I was about two foot high. By the time I was 15 I was about six foot. Logically, I should now be 14 foot high.

logically,
    Scofflaw

Oh, I'm sure it's on some people's agendas. But not that of those who actually decide the future of the EU (its members), so it's moot.

You'd swear people think the EU writes its own treaties.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You'd swear people think the EU writes its own treaties.

It does - you should remember what comprises the 'EU'. If the EU does not create EU treaties, who, pray, creates them? National governments working together in a federal body? Yes, this is a tautology.

You would be 14ft (or thereabouts) if there was not a biological inhibiting force on the continued generation of HGH. There is no obvious cap on the number of ammeding constitutional treaties that the EU can produce (which may be a good or a bad thing depending how it goes).

The EU isn't actually a union at the moment, but it is actually a federation (or a federal union if you want to be pedantic). Though its name is the European Union, this is in many ways as arbitrary as the Lisbon Treaty being called after the Portuguese Capital [the location of the signing hardly has much bearing on the content].

And if the EU isn't fundamentally about 'the economy, stupid' what is it about? Political centralisation? If so, to what end? The legislative superstructure has outgrown its macroeconomic origins and has come to resemble a giant Country Council, albeit with vastly inflated powers. It exhibits a fundmental distrust in the capacities of individual nation states, particularly as determined by the electorate, whilst it instead attempts to safeguard the interests of the structure of the EU itself [this is the explicit role of the Commission].

So, in relation to the thread title, whenever McCreevy speaks 'for Ireland' he is contradicting his sworn duty to disregard national interests and instead pursue supranational agendae. The supranational interests have deemed that the Lisbon treaty is too important to risk public rejection - so any noises that someone like Charlie makes which undermines this chosen method is in direct conflict with his role as European legislator.

Advertisement