Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie McCreevy claims today that most EU countries would reject Lisbon

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭carveone

I think he's saying that if the British General Public don't want to be in the EU, then they should leave, rather than voting on how the EU is run.

Oh I understand what he's saying, I'm just surprised! I thought that Britain and the British people wanted to be in the EU and would never dream of actually leaving, regardless of threats to the contrary. Like a choppy marriage or something.
    I don't know that anyone in Ireland would go particularly nuts if Britain left the EU, maybe some of the euroskeptic tory boys on this forum, but probably not too many more?

I'm not sure. It would upset a lot of people. Boards.ie would be talking about nothing else for months!

Trading Partners 2008 | Imports €m | Exports €m
    Great Britain and Northern Ireland | 19,175.2 | 15,858.0
    Other EU Countries | 17,319.4 | 37,919.1
    USA | 6,675.5 | 16,656.1
    Rest of World | 13,960.5 | 15,854.1
    Total | 57,130.7 | 86,287.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 storinius

is_that_so wrote: »
    Every utterance from said commissioner is a further reminder of why he was shipped off to Europe. Regrettably instead of just being "content" with a commissioner's salary and concentrating on own brief, he has continued to make an ass of himself without any prompting whatsoever.

Absolutely concur

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I notice that some posters who seem to be of a "no to Lisbon" disposition are drawing great comfort from an interpretation of Charlie McCreevy said.

Before recognising him as an expert witness on their side of the argument, should they be reminded that he did not read the treaty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

OP here. I am in the process of reading the treaty. I find it curious that senior political figures such as Charlie McCreevy would make such declarations (as he did in the run up to the last referrendum). I do not take comfort in his remarks, if anything I think it creates uneasiness.

Are we to read between the lines when the leader of the conservative party in England declares that he will 'scrap the Lisbon Treaty' if the conservatives win the election. When we hear such controversial announcements, it does little to help the 'Yes' side.

I want to believe that the Lisbon Treaty is a good and positive thing, and when I go to vote in October, I want to be informed. I also want to try and better understand the skeptisism that surrounds the issue.

Advertisement