Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holidays in Wicklow Town this August

Options
  • 26-06-2009 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi all, we're a Spanish family who want to practise their English in Ireland the following years and we have chosen Wicklow Town to do it since we travelled to Dublin last year and we were really delighted with our experience there. We have rented an apartment in Catherine's Court (Friars Hill) but it's almost impossible to find exactly how far it is from the city centre (that is, from the Grand Hotel). Some people told us it's two kilometres away .... and with two children aged 6 and 3 you can imagine what means to go walking to the centre almost 8 kilometres a day!!!! :) Could someone tell me something about this please? and what do you think about practising English in this town? Do you think it could be a good experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

ad for the place here:
    http://www.daft.ie/searchshortterm.daft?id=7108#area_guide

also shows a map - doesn't look too far away from the town centre to me (Google maps reckons its 0.8km to main street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hello

I think its about 800meters - 1km from the town centre.
    The Hill isnt too steep either, Nice part of the town also.

Sorry to hear your coming to wicklow town to learn english.
    I'm not sure the locals are that good at speaking it themselves! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

To me the hill is quite steep, especially with children that age. But maybe you are very fit! lol That walk must be nearly a kilometre up the hill, or a little less. Wicklow is a nice little town though- not sure if there will be much to do though. A rented car would come in very handy, as there are some nice places in the vicinity.

If it was me I would have chosen Greystones as a base, 20 mins nearer to Dublin by car, better transportation links, more to do, on a beach (bit stoney mind you), regular train into Dublin or down south, more opportunities for mixing and speaking english, a small theatre, also well located for hiring a car and touring, a 24hour bus directly serving Dublin Airport, nice cafes. But that is my opinion of what I would want if I were on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Thats a big hill with two kids getting a rented car would be a good idea. Wicklow is so nice this time of year but the town its self is very small and the train service is not the best. There is a good bus service from wicklow in to Dublin city if you need

Advertisement